• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Just give me the damn game, and the 360 collection on PC.

I personally want a Gears Trilogy remaster plus Judgement I guess more than I want Gears 6 at this point. I've been wanting to play Gears 2 and 3 co-op with a couple of friends, but they don't have 360s anymore and xCloud is not a viable option.

It would be so nice to have these games on PC with all the benefits that come with the platform.

Jan 20, 2022
Crazy how Gears basically set the template for the 360 era that everyone else copied. For years, every 3rd person game became a cover shooter and was compared to Gears. Horde mode became so ubiquitous it basically named the genre. It got to the point where gears almost felt stale because it had been copied so much, that it grew long in the tooth.

Now we very rarely see that type of gameplay, so it makes Gears stand out more. Personally I hope they go less for the open world stuff and more for the high octane, nonstop action with set pieces, shootouts and explosions.

Gears has always been the best Xbox franchise

Something Jeff Gerstmann said on his podcast this week really took me back.

Gears is an old man game, if you were there for the first Gears then you're either approaching 40 or in your 40s now.

Nothing much more to add, not trying to bring anyone down, it was just a bit of a sobering thought in the middle of the "how do we create new gamers" era we're in, when you think about it it would probably make more sense if they never made another one.

But I'm glad they are.
I played Gears on my 360 at launch and I'm not even 30.

Agnyz

Nov 12, 2017
Lithuania
Is it known how the last two games performed sales-wise? I remember hearing only some marketing-type player activity numbers at the time.

masizzai

Nov 28, 2017

Gears is an old man game, if you were there for the first Gears then you're either approaching 40 or in your 40s now.

Nothing much more to add, not trying to bring anyone down, it was just a bit of a sobering thought in the middle of the "how do we create new gamers" era we're in, when you think about it it would probably make more sense if they never made another one.

But I'm glad they are.
Isn't the average gamer age like 30? And as a 30 year old myself I remember telling my mom I wouldn't chainsaw the aliens so she'd buy me this little rated M game called Gears of War lol.

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017

But I'm glad they are.
Huh, I'm in my early 30s and I was there for the first game (well, I might've been a little young for that back then ha)

TolerLive

Senior Lighting Artist
Verified
Nov 15, 2017
Redmond, WA
Can we go back to calling it Gears of War and get rid of the new cast. Could not care less about Kait, JD, and Del. They lost me with 4 and 5. Oh and ffs get rid of the robots. Gears is about gore not sawing machines.
To be fair, you fight Swarm/Locust in like 99% of encounters in Gears 5. The DBs are allies in the game and you technically never really fight them unless you count the couple of mini-boss tier enemies that are DBs taken over by swarm. But even those enemies are mostly organic.

Ash_Greytree

Oct 31, 2023
To be fair, you fight Swarm/Locust in like 99% of encounters in Gears 5. The DBs are allies in the game and you technically never really fight them unless you count the couple of mini-boss tier enemies that are DBs taken over by swarm. But even those enemies are mostly organic.
I also liked fighting against the DBs in Gears 4, to be honest. The extra variety needed to be there, alongside the new roster of weapons that got brought to the table with the DBs. I love the Overkill shotgun, the rocket pods, the Tri-Shot, and the EMBAR. And just to note for other folks, the mini-boss enemies aren't just evil reskins of the DBs. Swarm-infected Stumps are pretty scary in their own right and the Bastions add some additonal layers to the fights they show up in.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Loved the last two games, can't wait. Hopefully it's not a reboot or something, I want them to continue the story where Gears 5 left off.

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
I'd be very surprised if 2024 came and went without a mention or look at Gears 6. The game will be that "this is what next-gen is about" moment.

Oct 27, 2017
Fingers crossed that it's a quick turnaround from announce to release.

Gears 5 was over 4 years ago but somehow feels even longer ago.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Really looking forward to see how they tackle the ending of 5.

It's crazy to think that we pretty much got gears 1-3 in the time between 5 and 6. Not really specific to gears as it's the trend for just about every franchise but man.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
A couple of years back I was kinda meh on another Gears even though I love the series.

But now I'm so ready, and can't wait to see how insane it's inevitably going to look.

m23

Oct 25, 2017
This gen. Very few games have delivered that "next-gen" moment this gen, as we had an exceptionally long cross-gen period.

Much like Gears 1 was the moment on Xbox 360, so should Gears 6 be for Xbox Series.

Hmmm you think it's a 2026 game? I wonder if it's something that'll act as a launch title for the next Xbox (though it'll launch on series X as well).

Azai

Jun 10, 2020
after playing Gears 5 (when Gears 3 was my last Gears game) I really think the series needs some big changes with its gameplay.
Cause Gears 5 (the open world aside) really felt pretty much like ever gears before and I was bored pretty quickly.

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
The two open acts in Gears 5 were incredibly weak so I'm hoping they do something different or vastly improve them.

Also please end this story with this game.

amara

Nov 23, 2021
after playing Gears 5 (when Gears 3 was my last Gears game) I really think the series needs some big changes with its gameplay.
Cause Gears 5 (the open world aside) really felt pretty much like ever gears before and I was bored pretty quickly.
Give them rocket boots like it's Vanquish

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
I liked Gears 5 a lot but was a bit fatigued at that point.

Now? I'm SO ready for more Gears, I truly can't wait to see this.

FUNKNOWN iXi

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I hope they show the world how fun Overrun is and not just leave it dead in Judgment.

Perzeval

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I think a few games already look next gen so if this looks better I'm curious and don't know quite what to expect

Abrasion Test

Oct 27, 2017

But I'm glad they are.
I mean it's up to the dev team and marketing teams to help the game appeal to new audiences. If we went by this thinking then no franchises would be celebrating 20, 30th+ anniversaries.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
I mean it's up to the dev team and marketing teams to help the game appeal to new audiences. If we went by this thinking then no franchises would be celebrating 20, 30th+ anniversaries.
Most franchises don't though? Like some things are hot for the moment they're in, and then people move on. That's fine and normal. Or the franchise quality dips or whatever. How many iconic franchises are hitting their 20th or 30th anniversaries and still going strong with relevant new shit? Nintendo? A handful of fighting game franchises? When was the last time we all celebrated Castlevania?

Neutron

Jun 2, 2022
I love Gears of War...

...but few games made me want to reach into the TV and tear the script apart from how much the writing was pissing me off, like Gears 5 did. How inconsistent, how oblivious and nonsensical it was. And not in the tongue-in-cheek way of the original trilogy.

Gears 6 has a lot to prove, in my eyes. As for "the choice", for me there's only one way it can go that even gives the story a -chance- to address the gaping holes and unresolved threads it left all over the place.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Is 5 worth playing if you haven't touched the series for a while (played 1 & 2 way back in the day)?

Nov 8, 2017
I can confirm that the new protagonist is 'Punished' Dave, who survived the HoD strike in the finale of Gears 5 and is now back with an a permanent eyepatch.

Nov 8, 2017
Is 5 worth playing if you haven't touched the series for a while (played 1 & 2 way back in the day)?

The story continuity is probably one of the least important things about the series, so I'd say go ahead and jump into 5, it plays very well and even in 2024 it still looks gorgeous. It could have come out last year and people would have said it was a looker.

I don't think there's a single bad game in the series, barring maybe Gears Pop which I haven't played so I can't comment. Even the Tactics spinoff is fun.

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
Its about time for a new one. I'm definitely in to see how they finish the current story arc out. I honestly wouldn't be shocked if they reboot it after 6.

Also I'm surprised we never got Tactics 2, hopefully that one is in the pipe as well.

Abrasion Test

Oct 27, 2017
Most franchises don't though? Like some things are hot for the moment they're in, and then people move on. That's fine and normal. Or the franchise quality dips or whatever. How many iconic franchises are hitting their 20th or 30th anniversaries and still going strong with relevant new shit? Nintendo? A handful of fighting game franchises? When was the last time we all celebrated Castlevania?
Resident Evil? Armored Core? Monster Hunter? Sure obviously it's fine for things to go away, in the same way that something can still catch fire in newer entries. Something is only an "old man game" if they design it as one.

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
Aside from a handful of horde achievements, I'm so damn ready. Four wasn't my favorite, and I was ready to hate five due to the discourse, and it ended up blowing my wig off. I liked how
only the person playing as Kait hears voices in their head. I also loved that you get attacked after handing over your weapons and you need to scrounge/kill to fight back.

Some of the encounters were maybe the best I've played in a gears game. If they can squeeze them into a corridor and forgo giving us a break and a change of pace and having us skim to them, I guess people will like the game more?

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
I don't care if it gonna be 30 FPS only or not. I have always said this. better all games be 30 FPS and dhow phenomenal graphics worth of this gen than being half assed to satisfy the general carless gamers. I don't doubt this gonna be within the level of Hellblade 2 and Rise of Hydra whoch for me are still the true showing of generational leaps.