• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Smitch

The Unshakable Resolve of "this guy are sick"
Apr 21, 2022

View: https://x.com/chris_dring/status/1693544052975714736?s=46&t=dTsicjx75u6r1hbB1lA55A
11.6 million console and PC games were sold in July across Europe, up 34% over the same period in 2022.

Digital downloads represented nearly 7.9 million of that (up 60%), while physical was 3.75 million (up 0.2%).

This is according to GSD data, which includes digital sales from most AAA games publishers in every European country. It also includes physical sales of games in the big European markets. For the full breakdown of countries and publishers, see bottom of the article.

Major summer promotions on PlayStation and Xbox have transformed the charts, with Grand Theft Auto 5 back at No.1 and Red Dead Redemption 2 at No.3. Both Rockstar games were discounted on console last month, particularly on PlayStation formats.
The highest charting new game was Nintendo Switch exclusive Pikmin 4 at No.11 (please note, Nintendo first-party games do not include digital download figures). It may not look like a particularly strong debut, but for the first two weeks on the market, Pikmin 4 sales are up 81% compared with what Pikmin 3: Deluxe managed in October 2020.

In terms of hardware, 493,000 games consoles were sold across tracked European countries, which is 62.5% up over July 2022 but 2% down compared with June this year. Tracked markets are missing two key territories in Germany and the UK. UK hardware figures for July can be found here.
PS5 comfortably led the month in Europe, with console sales up 244% over July last year. There were strong price promotions on PS5 in July, and as a result sales were also up 24% over June. Overall, year-to-date PS5 sales are up 203% across the tracked territories.

Nintendo Switch finished the month in second place, with sales down 9% compared with July 2022. Year-to-date, Nintendo Switch sales are flat compared with 2022.

European GSD July 2023 Top 10 (Digital + Physical)

PositionTitle
1Grand Theft Auto 5 (Rockstar)
2FIFA 23 (EA)
3Red Dead Redemption 2 (Rockstar)
4Diablo 4 (Activision Blizzard)
5Hogwarts Legacy (Warner Bros)
6The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom (Nintendo)*
7The Crew 2 (Ubisoft)
8F1 23 (EA)
9Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (Activision Blizzard)
10NBA 2K23
11Pikmin 4 (Nintendo)*
12Elden Ring (Bandai Namco)
13Mario Kart 8: Deluxe (Nintendo)*
14Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Siege (Ubisoft)
15A Way Out (EA)
16Grand Theft Auto Online (Rockstar)
17Civilization 6 (2K Games)
18Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 (Activision Blizzard)
19It Takes Two (EA)
20Final Fantasy 16 (Square Enix)

Dr. Mario

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
GTA5, FIFA, RDR2

haughty-derision-it-is.gif

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
I am right in thinking it's usually for Chris to not report all yoy percentages for the all consoles?

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Final Fantasy XVI really outsold by the like of A Way Out and It Takes Two in July? It only launched June 22nd. It's almost off the chart already.

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
Probably because it's down.

But that hasn't stopped that information from being shared in the pass though.

I've never seen him miss a console in his report yet. But maybe that's just me as i haven't seen every single report.

To the best of my knowledge I think your right. Maybe those of us with Twitter/X can reach to see if he'll disclose it. Perhaps he's been asked not to by the platform holder.

DGS

Nov 2, 2017
Tyrol
Console hardware sales cover Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Italy, Portugal, Russia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland. Accessories sales cover the same markets, but doesn't include Switzerland.

No Germany or UK, the two biggest markets in Europe? Are there any hardware sales figures for these countries?

Feb 21, 2022
FF16 came out very late in June and it's already doing that badly. S-E's "18 months" of sales strategy off to a very bad start. Horrible legs for the game. Word of mouth is not looking good.

Aiqops

Aug 3, 2021
FF16 came out very late in June and it's already doing that badly. S-E's "18 months" of sales strategy off to a very bad start. Horrible legs for the game. Word of mouth is not looking good.

Wouldn't surprise me if it hasn't even reached the 5 million number, after the initial 3 million copies shipped news.

Oct 27, 2017

Even with FF XVI being almost a July game (it released at the end of June) it is barely at 20th position. As you said, word of mouth is terrible.

Elden Ring rising once again, great.

GTA V is immortal, until GTA VI releases.

Last edited:

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
PS5 being up by that much but hardware in general being down probably doesn't bode well for xbox sales.

Witchcraft

"This guy are sick"
Oct 9, 2022
We know Xbox sales are poor, maybe they were asked to stop reporting them or something idk. Chris normally always includes percentages.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
We know Xbox sales are poor, maybe they were asked to stop reporting them or something idk. Chris normally always includes percentages.

They have stopped reporting as much information on NPD as well. It is usually, "playstation and switch up, other platforms down", or words to that affect. So maybe it is happening across the board.

Maybe they are trying to report less bad information? Who knows.

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
They have stopped reporting as much information on NPD as well. It is usually, "playstation and switch up, other platforms down", or words to that affect. So maybe it is happening across the board.

that'd be so corny if MS actually forced them to stop reporting xbox sales

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think MS can force independent orgs to stop reporting on sales data.

Oct 27, 2017

Given how they clammed up super hard on Xb1 sales the moment they were coming in second, i would not be suprised if this is microsoft's doing. It took till this year to finnaly get a final total for system lol.

Ill give Nintendo this, even when their consoles are bombing hard (and they flop even hqrder than xbox ever could), they still report figures publicly like a champ lool

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think MS can force independent orgs to stop reporting on sales data.

They absolutely can it happened with the NPD. The only way to track digital purchase is through platform holders. I'm sure a platform holder could you that leverage in a number of ways should they choose to.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
They absolutely can it happened with the NPD. The only way to track digital purchase is through platform holders. I'm sure a platform holder could you that leverage in a number of ways should they choose to.
Is Circana/NPD getting their HW data from platform holders?

The Emperor

Oct 25, 2017
Disappointing for FFXVI. This is physical plus digital.

With PS5 sales being up youd hope XVI couldve become an evergreen title. I guess we would know that in a few months but not great signs atm re legs

American legs may be better

Markratos

Hermen Hulst's Secret Account
Feb 15, 2020
Its not the first time that Xbox numbers are hidden.

Last edited:

Misterhbk

Oct 27, 2017
Combine this with what we saw in the Germany thread and PS5 is just not slowing down. Still has Spiderman loading up too.

Very curious about the absence of Xbox data. Hopefully we get another update via Twitter.

seroun

Banned
Oct 25, 2018
It will be the day 21th of August of 2193 and GTA V will still be the most sold game.

Bláthanna

Feb 15, 2023
Ireland
Yeah Xbox sales are not looking good at all. In theory, this should be the peak year for PS5/XBS sales based on how other generations played out. While PS5 is seeing those massive mid-gen sales, Xbox is decreasing from what was already a lacklustre 2022.