• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MBS

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if they 're going to allow local saves, or they'll completely shut-down its cloud functionality. That's a bummer though. I always thought GT Sport (with Spec2 update), was the most streamlined experience, if you wanted to avoid all that GT7 clutter.

Priapus

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if they allow local saves, or they'll completely shut-down its cloud functionality. That's a bummer though. I always thought GT Sport (with Spec2 update), was the most streamlined experience, if you wanted to avoid all that GT7 clutter.
I just loved hanging around in the main menu. The soundtrack was way better than that of GT7.

Jakartalado

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
They will completely shut the servers and 99% of the game will be blocked in the future.

Only arcade races with a small selection of cars will be available (no progression will be available).

Lampa

Feb 13, 2018
They said it's EOS a few months ago, and stopped selling DLC last month. it's not completely unexpected, but they also didn't say they will stop selling the game *today* either.

PJTierney

Social Media Manager • EA SPORTS WRC
Verified
Mar 28, 2021
Warwick, UK
One of the best and most important Gran Turismo games in my opinion.

It had a clear vision in what it was trying to do, and largely executed it well.

Thank you for your service *salutes*

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not looking forward to when the servers are fully shut down, which is likely to be sooner than later. PD titles have shorter server support than basically any other mainstream studio I'm aware of. When a publisher structures their games to be disposable like this (i.e., expiring licensing + short server support life + online requirement), I'm inclined to avoid it. I've been really disappointed seeing how the GT series has moved in this direction, and they're not the only ones.

GTAce

Oct 27, 2017
Bonn, Germany
They will completely shut the servers and 99% of the game will be blocked in the future.

Only arcade races with a small selection of cars will be available (no progression will be available).

What happens to my "Garage" cars and my Career Mode progression?

All existing cars and personalized Car Settings kept in Garage will be accessible. Gameplay progression required as normal to unlock additional cars and items.
www.gran-turismo.com

Gran Turismo Sport End of Online Services - gran-turismo.com

On January 31, 2024, at 06:00 UTC, the online se...

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
One of the greatest, most influential racing games ever. The whole vibe of the game was like nothing that came before it, or after. What a game.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Licenses can be renewed, and usually are if the cost/benefit is still positive enough.

Why is EA able to keep selling 10+ years old NFS titles while Sony and MS have to stop selling GT and Forza games after few years?

Like i can't believe NFS Rivals, NFS 2015 are generating enough money for the license to be renewed while the GT/Forza Horizon and Forza games don't.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
So if I read that FAQ correctly, all the GT League stuff will still be usable after the server shutdown? That would be a surprising and happy turn of events at least. Lots of games that start always online never bother to make concessions for solo play after the servers shutdown.

Wouldn't a delisting happen regardless because of the car licenses expiring? I know the Forza games get removed from digital stores after a number of years.

They do, but there's no set period for that to happen; it would depend on the contracts. For example, I believe either Turn 10 or Playground confirmed that Forza Horizon 4/5 had a much longer license period and wouldn't be taken down at the same interval the previous Horizon games were; I'd assume the same is probably true for Motorsport given their talk of making it a platform and the minor scandal of 7 having to come off the store and having zero Motorsport games for sale/on Game Pass for a while.

Why is EA able to keep selling 10+ years old NFS titles while Sony and MS have to stop selling GT and Forza games after few years?

Like i can't believe NFS Rivals, NFS 2015 are generating enough money for the license to be renewed while the GT/Forza Horizon and Forza games don't.

Only speculation on my part (PJTierney would be more in the know!) but it might have something to do with the number of cars being licensed. GT and Forza strive to be fairly comprehensive in their car selection; meanwhile I don't think any Need for Speed game has gone past 100 cars.

Yesterzine

Jan 5, 2022

EA probably have an overall licence, why Sony and MS don't is a matter for their commercial teams.

Plus, considerably fewer licences. There's about 5 manufacturers in NFS most of the time and no track licences.

PJTierney

Verified
Mar 28, 2021
Warwick, UK

Different studios, different licensing agreements.

Also, sometimes a publisher is willing to let licenses expire without renewal, in order to push new players to buy the latest release.

To give a Codemasters example: GRID Legends is superior to GRID (2019) in almost every single way, in that it has 99% of the content along with much higher visual quality, and several new game modes/features. There is almost no reason to play GRID when Legends exists.

I'm not privy to NFS decisions (the only NFS I've worked on is Unbound), but I imagine a series like that with such a diverse history probably values keeping certain older titles up either for nostalgic fans to (re) buy or to keep the EA Play (and as a side effect, Xbox Game Pass) catalogue well-stocked.

Super

Studied the Buster Sword
Jan 29, 2022
RIP. The reboot Gran Turismo needed with online IMO.

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
One of the greatest, most influential racing games ever. The whole vibe of the game was like nothing that came before it, or after. What a game.
I mean it's good, but it's basically iRacing conforming to a console crowd and it did it very well with that typical Polyphony style. It's exactly what it should have been.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
So if I read that FAQ correctly, all the GT League stuff will still be usable after the server shutdown? That would be a surprising and happy turn of events at least. Lots of games that start always online never bother to make concessions for solo play after the servers shutdown.

They do, but there's no set period for that to happen; it would depend on the contracts. For example, I believe either Turn 10 or Playground confirmed that Forza Horizon 4/5 had a much longer license period and wouldn't be taken down at the same interval the previous Horizon games were; I'd assume the same is probably true for Motorsport given their talk of making it a platform and the minor scandal of 7 having to come off the store and having zero Motorsport games for sale/on Game Pass for a while.

Only speculation on my part (PJTierney would be more in the know!) but it might have something to do with the number of cars being licensed. GT and Forza strive to be fairly comprehensive in their car selection; meanwhile I don't think any Need for Speed game has gone past 100 cars.
There's some misconception over how GT Sport works offline. It's not like GT7 where you have a glorified demo, everything is there as normal except for the (obviously very important) ability to save your progress and buy new cars.

If they patch the game to support offline saving and making the brand central usable offline, all would be fine. The note of "progression required *as usual*" on the FAQ makes me think they won't patch it though.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
There's some misconception over how GT Sport works offline. It's not like GT7 where you have a glorified demo, everything is there as normal except for the (obviously very important) ability to save your progress and buy new cars.

If they patch the game to support offline saving and making the brand central usable offline, all would be fine. The note of "progression required *as usual*" on the FAQ makes me think they won't patch it though.

I knew about the offline functionality basically being all single-player stuff minus the ability to save, but it wasn't really clear to me if that was being fixed or not. The wording in the FAQ seems borderline deceptive if you're right and they aren't patching the game, it needs to be very explicit that no progress can be saved once the servers shut down.

Mecha Meister

Next-Gen Guru
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I still play this game and haven't bought GT7 as yet, I hope it doesn't become a digital paperweight. Or I have less reasons to get GT7 if this is the digital future in store for us.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
After GT7 becomes EOS and effectively becomes a digital paper weight due to the extreme lack of offline functionality, I'll probably reinstall GT Sport to get access to all its content.

I loved GT Sport during its run. I loved that it made getting cars pretty easy with the 1 Car Per Day roulette, so that I could focus my time in the game on doing what I wanted to do instead of grinding. GT7 has gone down the wrong road in several ways.

Jakartalado

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
www.gran-turismo.com

Gran Turismo Sport End of Online Services - gran-turismo.com

On January 31, 2024, at 06:00 UTC, the online se...

So they made several changes in the content structure of the game. Everything was locked behind an online connection in the past with the except of arcade races.

Good for preservation but still a bit shitty considering that this game was heavily rated as the next online multiplayer era of Gran Turismo.

Scratch everything I just said. If you can't save your game you still have nothing to play, only a small part of the car selection.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
I still don't think we know if saving will work offline after the servers close or not. Like I said, it's a massive omission to make casually, and the FAQ says nothing about not being able to save your progress in GT League despite outlining a bunch of other features that will no longer work after the shutdown.

Someone needs to pin Polyphony down on this one.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
On side note, if you are one of the few people who may have created a PSN account in your early years using a birthday different from your own to say circumvent a certain age restriction, GT Sport is one of the few games that actually shows the birthday that is attached to your current PSN Account. The reason why it might come handy to have this information before the game goes offline is to avoid certain horror stories from user dealing with account issues and not having the correct birthday for authentication. Just my two cents.

ManOfWar

Jan 6, 2020
Brazil

PJTierney

Verified
Mar 28, 2021
Warwick, UK
Unless a new entry in the game's series is out already, then it probably wouldn't make sense?
If I understand correctly and the licenses have to be extended for each game separately.
Yes'm every game is unique.

DiRT Rally got extended even after DiRT Rally 2.0 came out though, probably because it was still selling.

AllBizness

Banned
Mar 22, 2020
Yeah but I can still play my digital copies of Forza Horizon 3 & 4 with all my DLC despite being delisted. I hope GT7 PC gets the same treatment
I doubt GT7 comes to PC simply because people literally buy a PlayStation just to play Gran Turismo, the game has been constantly charting since its release.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I doubt GT7 comes to PC simply because people literally buy a PlayStation just to play Gran Turismo, the game has been constantly charting since its release.

Sony has already determined that those folks will buy the vast majority of PS5s & copies of {insert system seller here} within 2 years of game release. Following that, their business strategy is to access the PC market for an additional sales tail with marginal porting costs.

ForthU

Oct 27, 2017
wait WTF. This is games is always online? Will I be able to still play campaign/trials/other single player modes etc?

I Fall

Banned
Dec 31, 2023
Brazil
GAATS - games as a temporary service

It makes me wonder what will happen with Gran Turismo 7 when they shut servers down. All progress will be lost? No way to play offline? You can't even restart the game in current state. PS3 era Gran Turismo closed online services and were parched to be an offline game.

Ingueferroque

Dec 26, 2023
New York, NY
We need EU regulation to save us from these unnecessary GAAS shutdowns/delistings. Sony earned enough from Sport to continue supporting its online services.

tandeciarz

Apr 21, 2020
This is why I don't want to buy GT7 until all of its features except for seasons (if there any) are available offline.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
It was in the Nvidia leak
Yeah i think the Nvidia leak hasn't been off either, at least up to this point. A PC version would at least have the chance that fans could make it work offline even if Sony eventually abandons it.

It makes me wonder what will happen with Gran Turismo 7 when they shut servers down. All progress will be lost? No way to play offline? You can't even restart the game in current state. PS3 era Gran Turismo closed online services and were parched to be an offline game.
It's a great question, and an open one for several racing games (NFS 2015 etc). Ultimately we need government regulation in this space. There's just no company that's gonna keep servers up out of the goodness of their heart regardless of what they sold to customers, so we need legislation that forces their hand - if you sell an online only product to customers at full retail price, you commit to keeping it online while you're still viable as a company, or you patch it at server shutdown to make it a complete product without an online requirement.