• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

andshrew

Oct 27, 2017
We need EU regulation to save us from these unnecessary GAAS shutdowns/delistings. Sony earned enough from Sport to continue supporting its online services.

What are they going to regulate exactly? The minimum time a games online service should continue to run after it has been withdrawn from sale? They have to define how long they expect the game to run for up front?

Ingueferroque

Dec 26, 2023
New York, NY
What are they going to regulate exactly? The minimum time a games online service should continue to run after it has been withdrawn from sale? They have to define how long they expect the game to run for up front?

If a game is sold at up-front cost or with significant in-game monetization, there should be some guarantee to the consumer that the online services will remain available for a reasonable time. If you ask me, reasonable is at least the lifetime of the platform's back-end (PSN).

There will always be exceptions such as developers/publishers going out of business, but when a company like Sony releases a game with an upfront cost and sells millions of copies - they should not be allowed to decide to stop maintaining the online servers after a handful of years.

Due to licensing complications, it is understandable of them to stop selling the game.

I don't expect them to continue hosting events for the game or provide specific support, just keep the servers up - they can afford it.

We also need regulation in the mobile/free to play space - mobile releases shouldn't be able to just disappear from libraries or become unplayable. At least launch an 'offline' version of the game with all purchased content available to the user, if the game is being retired. And any game that relies on online matchmaking should have either bot support or offer peer to peer matchmaking as a fail-safe option.

If no action is taken, gaming preservation moving forward will almost be impossible - so many experiences will be lost to time. I don't think these are unreasonable demands.

Jade1962

Oct 28, 2017
If a game is sold at up-front cost or with significant in-game monetization, there should be some guarantee to the consumer that the online services will remain available for a reasonable time. If you ask me, reasonable is at least the lifetime of the platform's back-end (PSN).

There will always be exceptions such as developers/publishers going out of business, but when a company like Sony releases a game with an upfront cost and sells millions of copies - they should not be allowed to decide to stop maintaining the online servers after a handful of years.

Due to licensing complications, it is understandable of them to stop selling the game.

I don't expect them to continue hosting events for the game or provide specific support, just keep the servers up - they can afford it.

We also need regulation in the mobile/free to play space - mobile releases shouldn't be able to just disappear from libraries or become unplayable. At least launch an 'offline' version of the game with all purchased content available to the user, if the game is being retired. And any game that relies on online matchmaking should have either bot support or offer peer to peer matchmaking as a fail-safe option.

If no action is taken, gaming preservation moving forward will almost be impossible - so many experiences will be lost to time. I don't think these are unreasonable demands.

So a law that only pertains to platform holders? And what is the threshold for a game having an upfront cost? Do people who buy games on sale get less time guaranteed? What if I don't spend any money on MTX can my access be revoked early?

dose

Oct 29, 2017
So a law that only pertains to platform holders?
I don't think that's what they're suggesting, I think they're just making the point that the platform holders, if anyone, are capable of keeping the servers open for a lot longer than what they have been.

Do people who buy games on sale get less time guaranteed?
Eh? No, why would they, they own the game. How would you ever detemine that with physical games?

What if I don't spend any money on MTX can my access be revoked early?
Why would that ever be a thing? You're trying to make it far more complicated than what it is.

Jade1962

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think that's what they're suggesting, I think they're just making the point that the platform holders, if anyone, are capable of keeping the servers open for a lot longer than what they have been.

Eh? No, why would they, they own the game. How would you ever detemine that with physical games?

Why would that ever be a thing? You're trying to make it far more complicated than what it is.

I'm not making it complicated. It is complicated to attempt to legislate such a thing and these would all be contentions publishers would bring up.

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe legal protection for third party to host servers if the publisher shuts down server.

I Fall

Banned
Dec 31, 2023
Brazil
This is a hot topic for me. I bought Gran Turismo Sport when it came out. To play the game I paid full price upfront, an bought a hardware from Sony. But that isn't enoght. I need to pay for Playstation Plus to have access to the online portion of that game.

If they can stop providing me with that service even though I keep paying for online with Ps+, why they charge me? For me, it's inconceivable paying for online and they have no commitment with keeping that service up and running.

So, if that's how it works, Sony (and other companies) should make online free and/or those games free to play. It's an absolute problem to pay for 3 things - hardware, game and online service - and not being able to play the game at its full extent.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017

I mean something feasible could be laws against the kinds of server connection requirements for standalone retail titles (unrelated to MP features) that create an artificial "expiration date" for ownership.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
The game essentially fully lives on within GT7 in this case. Besides a meager SP I don't think much was left behind? Of course I think, at this point in time, it would be a nice gesture to offer GT7 free to owners of GTS.

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
This is a hot topic for me. I bought Gran Turismo Sport when it came out. To play the game I paid full price upfront, an bought a hardware from Sony. But that isn't enoght. I need to pay for Playstation Plus to have access to the online portion of that game.

If they can stop providing me with that service even though I keep paying for online with Ps+, why they charge me? For me, it's inconceivable paying for online and they have no commitment with keeping that service up and running.

So, if that's how it works, Sony (and other companies) should make online free and/or those games free to play. It's an absolute problem to pay for 3 things - hardware, game and online service - and not being able to play the game at its full extent.

Agreed. This is why I have a huge problem with paid online services that remove online games after a few years. I'll play a single game online, and spend $100CAD for a year for PS+ Essential plus the price of the game. It's a reasonable expectation that because I'm paying a premium for access to online that it would be available for me as long as PS+ is active.

GT Sport came out a little over six years ago. In many cases, people have spent hundreds of dollars to pay online for that one game, and only that game. It's absolute bullshit to cancel the online functionality after a few years. It doesn't matter if there's only a 100 people playing or 100000. You're charging for online services, so provide the service.

Wanderish

Jan 5, 2019
What???? I sold my GT 7 copy because I liked Sport more and play regularily every now and then in online races and arcade modes. Won't I be able to play after they shut it off? The game is not that old, what is this??

I Fall

Banned
Dec 31, 2023
Brazil
Agreed. This is why I have a huge problem with paid online services that remove online games after a few years. I'll play a single game online, and spend $100CAD for a year for PS+ Essential plus the price of the game. It's a reasonable expectation that because I'm paying a premium for access to online that it would be available for me as long as PS+ is active.

GT Sport came out a little over six years ago. In many cases, people have spent hundreds of dollars to pay online for that one game, and only that game. It's absolute bullshit to cancel the online functionality after a few years. It doesn't matter if there's only a 100 people playing or 100000. You're charging for online services, so provide the service.

You nailed the pin in the head. "You're charging for online services, so provide the service". Some people advocate that you pay for games, but it's clear that I pay for online access and games as a bonus. What makes me angry is that they sell it as a charge to keep online services, but in reality they are just charging to let you access.

For me is crazy that I need to pay to Sony to have access to EAs or Activision online services in games like Fifa or Cod. How we got to the point where we accepted that?

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
For me is crazy that I need to pay to Sony to have access to EAs or Activision online services in games like Fifa or Cod. How we got to the point where we accepted that?

It's been a bit like the frog in a pot that's slowly heating up. I'm about to finally jump out. My reluctance to purchase GT7 feels warranted at this point.

Sony's business practice with online-only games needs a serious overhaul. Either charge for the game, and give online access for free or give the game for free, and charge for online access.

The fact that you have to pay for both, but lose access to both the game and online when the servers shut down is insane.

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017

Genie already outta of the bottle, it'll never be free unfortunately.

PS plus is essentially an access fee with a rewards program (free games) attached.

Whenever you don't get access to want you want, you stop paying the fee.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Quite tired of how poor Sony is for keeping servers running. It's part of why I just find all the price rises to PS+ to be laughable.

They can't even use the license arguement really, Microsoft still manages to run servers for the Forza games they've delisted.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I play Gran Turismo games for single player. The content at launch for GT Sport was so dire, I basically forced myself to try online just to feel like I got my money's worth. And what I got was of of the greatest online experiences of all time.

Maybe I just have low expectations of online multiplayer behavior but I could not believe people were actually racing respectfully, trying to pass cleanly and avoid collisions. GT has spent years cultivating a fanbase that cares about good fun clean driving and it culminated in GT Sport. Maybe the SR system would get it wrong in the moment but over time it must have averaged out correctly because at SR S I had nothing but clean races.

One of the best things GT Sport did was not really glorify winning or the winner but instead focused on you and your position. If you qualified 12th and finished 7th, that was a pretty good race.

I especially enjoyed the 10 lap races that had fuel and tire wear. I remember winning a pitless race at Suzuka Circuit with the lowest fuel consumption and trying to save my tires. By the end I was driving a boat but I managed to pull through.

GT Sport was awesome. For some reason GT7 didn't pull me in the same way but I'll probably give it another shot.

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What???? I sold my GT 7 copy because I liked Sport more and play regularily every now and then in online races and arcade modes. Won't I be able to play after they shut it off? The game is not that old, what is this??
I mean, they announced this months ago and I'm pretty sure there is a notice in the main menu alerting the players, this is not something they announced today.

Also, it's a 7 year old game by now that has been pretty much completely superseeded by its successor.

naff

Unshakeable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Is there any single player content?

The SP progression ended up being pretty great in Sport. Not to the same level as the earlier games, but they added in a lot post launch to the point it ended up being a pretty worthwhile sp game.

Ngl, I think GT7 is better in nearly every way and provides everything Sport did, but Sport is also different and I understand people being sad it's going to become basically unplayable. I just wish the ux between races was better in 7. The home hub and having to go out of race menus to switch cars and buy parts etc feels really dated. Sport was so simple and clean.

Oct 19, 2023
Pull back on the multiplayer stuff you buy on PS each year and gradually make the transition to PC.

It's not perfect. But if you care about preservation it's the best place to be.

20 years from now a community can keep a game you enjoy alive. Don't get sucked in by the marketing surrounding all the value they're giving you.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
The SP progression ended up being pretty great in Sport. Not to the same level as the earlier games, but they added in a lot post launch to the point it ended up being a pretty worthwhile sp game.

Ngl, I think GT7 is better in nearly every way and provides everything Sport did, but Sport is also different and I understand people being sad it's going to become basically unplayable. I just wish the ux between races was better in 7. The home hub and having to go out of race menus to switch cars and buy parts etc feels really dated. Sport was so simple and clean.

I mean is it going to be like Driveclub where it's still playable or is it just gonna be a dud like a dead mmo

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
The game essentially fully lives on within GT7 in this case. Besides a meager SP I don't think much was left behind? Of course I think, at this point in time, it would be a nice gesture to offer GT7 free to owners of GTS.

If all of your car collection progress was imported from GT Sport into 7 then you might have a case for making that argument, but that's not the case. And some people bought cars in GT Sport with real money. It will be even worse when GT7 shuts down. At least in GT Sport you still have access to your full garage in offline mode.

I still have a much bigger personal garage of cars in GT Sport than I do in GT7, given the incredibly heavy-handed grind and low payouts/rewards and limited purchase opportunities of GT7.

naff

Unshakeable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
I mean is it going to be like Driveclub where it's still playable or is it just gonna be a dud like a dead mmo

From what I'm seeing ITT it sounds like you just won't be able to save your game unless they patch in offline saves, so yeah, that makes it kinda unplayable imo

Last edited:

rzks21

Aug 17, 2023
What a dirty move, fuck these always online features honestly. Glad I abandoned the series after GT5.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
I completed GT5 last year. At least they can't ruin that game (any more than they already have).

Just launched GTS on my PS4, and it says it can't connect? Wasn't it supposed it be until the end of the month at least?

edit: i was on the wrong profile on my PS4, without online access. On my main one it still works.
But, I got a preview of what it's going to be like. Terrible.

Last edited:

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
I completed GT5 last year. At least they can't ruin that game (any more than they already have).

Just launched GTS on my PS4, and it says it can't connect? Wasn't it supposed it be until the end of the month at least?

edit: i was on the wrong profile on my PS4, without online access. On my main one it still works.
But, I got a preview of what it's going to be like. Terrible.

Can you do single player stuff?

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
God Sony is so bad about keeping servers up for their legacy games.

Dreams is so dead after this year. Brace yourselves.

Bryo4321

Nov 20, 2017
From what I'm seeing ITT it sounds like you just won't be able to save your game unless they patch in offline saves, so yeah, that makes it kinda unplayable imo
They did a sort of "end of life" update for gt5. We simply don't know if they are planning to patch offline saves in or not at this point. The ball is in PDs court

aronmayo

Jul 29, 2020
The game will cease to function in any meaningful way very soon. They really shouldn't have even been selling it still imo

aronmayo

Jul 29, 2020
It makes me wonder what will happen with Gran Turismo 7 when they shut servers down. All progress will be lost? No way to play offline? You can't even restart the game in current state. PS3 era Gran Turismo closed online services and were parched to be an offline game.
Seemingly the game will be entirely unplayable aside from the music mode. Pretty sad.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
No one's making a big fuss about this, how you can play every single Forza (as long as you own it) but not any of the recent GT games? Seriously?

Skunk

Oct 28, 2017

If there's one thing that has always bugged me in this series, it is the dice roll with each new game as to whether a quick menu to switch cars will be in the game. Perhaps even more so whether there will be a "Next License Test" button from the race screen rather than having to back out and go back in. It's a complete and total crapshoot game-to-game whether they make it in or not. I don't understand how you make mistakes like that after having learned before. Maybe it's a bigger issue to me since I'm playing GT7 on PS4, and not as big a deal with the reduced loading on PS5, but man... carry your damn UI lessons forward PD.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Apparently modders have made it possible to save offline....so people who own the actual copies get screwed over? Seriously?

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
Banned
Jul 14, 2018
If there's one thing that has always bugged me in this series, it is the dice roll with each new game as to whether a quick menu to switch cars will be in the game. Perhaps even more so whether there will be a "Next License Test" button from the race screen rather than having to back out and go back in. It's a complete and total crapshoot game-to-game whether they make it in or not. I don't understand how you make mistakes like that after having learned before. Maybe it's a bigger issue to me since I'm playing GT7 on PS4, and not as big a deal with the reduced loading on PS5, but man... carry your damn UI lessons forward PD.
GT7 was 100% made with the PS5 loading in mind. I played like 500h of it on PS4 and when I finally got a PS5 the UI made a lot more sense.

That said not being able to change your car inside a race is bizarre even if you can go back and in again really quickly. There's really short loading but there's still *some* loading.

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
I hope more people wake up to preservation issues now that we're moving away from physical media. I guess I'm just getting old and nostalgic but I've been re-buying a lot of my old games and systems that were lost over the years just because I have no way of knowing if they'll be available to play in 10, 20 years etc. And you add licensing issues into it, and classic games can change drastically over time with increasingly diminishing ways of playing the originals (see: GTA trilogy).

It's not quite as big of an issue with live service games that are supposed to be replaced, but it's still a game that took a lot of resources to make now made unavailable.

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
Spelled the final death of classic Gran Turismo, for the worst. I have mixed feelings on both Sport and 7.

Kapryov

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
No one's making a big fuss about this, how you can play every single Forza (as long as you own it) but not any of the recent GT games? Seriously?
Unfortunately Turn 10 has borrowed this "online save only" concept from GT for the most recent Forza, so outlook isn't so good for the future of that series either.
They do have a good track record of keeping the servers up for a while at least, it'll be a long time to see how it pans out.