• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

breakfuss

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Is it that bad? I was planning on checking out San Andreas on my Series X.
No. It's janky at times and there's certainly nothing "definitive" about it but it's not unplayable. Oddly enough it's just as I remember experiencing it all those years ago. I'm still in Los Santos though so perhaps things take a turn for the worse.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
No. It's janky at times and there's certainly nothing "definitive" about it but it's not unplayable. Oddly enough it's just as I remember experiencing it all those years ago. I'm still in Los Santos though so perhaps things take a turn for the worse.
I think the issue is people paid full price, which it's certainly not worth.

OP
OP
Crossing Eden

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Yup. That was an unmitigated disaster. The fact that I had no intention buying Reforged in the first place, but then was forced to replace the old Warcraft 3 client with the reforged one takes the cake.

Nothing was wrong with the old client, but they insisted on destroying the campaign, battlenet, clans, custom game bots from loyal community members. And then add the insane amount of bugs/glitches.
It literally made me retire from Warcraft 3 after 15+ years of playing
IIRC they delisted the original versions of the trilogy, on top of removing this one from every player's list so that they could scrub music and other data.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
The games have more than their fair share of issues but they're not fundamentally unplayable, which is what a 5% score would suggest.

They were unplayable though

www.resetera.com

Rockstar Removing Access To Play or Purchase GTA: The Trilogy Definitive Edition Until They Scrub Some Data

Tweet was deleted. Original Tweet here incase deleted again: It was previously confirmed that the uncompiled main.scm file of the games were found and most music tracks that didn't belong were only disabled outside a few like Billie Jean which was removed.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
The games have more than their fair share of issues but they're not fundamentally unplayable, which is what a 5% score would suggest.

Not necessarily. Excluding the fact that they were literally unplayable for part of the audience (those who bought it on Rockstar Games Launcher), showing such disrespect to classic games and your legacy absolutely justifies the score in my opinion. Even more so since the originals were delisted in favor of these remakes.

Jun 26, 2021

Its borderline unplayable to me. In San Andreas, for example, the contrast seems so off that characters appear completely black during daytime scenes. I can't make out even the most basic of details in their faces.

Aiming isn't just wonky but almost unusable. The frame rate tanks on the Series X of all things during the most inconsequential of moments. No exaggeration it looks and plays like a budget release during the early XBLA days where the title screens often looked like they were made in MS paint.

I think they should pull all versions from the store, contract out to another developer, and re release in 6 months. Simply up-res the original assets to 4K, streamline the controls, and add 60fps to all 3 games. Additionally bundle them all together and lower the price to 39.99

That's the only scenario I can see where this works out for everyone in the end. I don't see this product as salvageable. It looks like shit. There are so many spelling errors and instances where the AI upscaling techniques they used just look wrong. There is nothing definitive about this. It's broken.

Golbez

Oct 20, 2020
That high? Congrats!

Maybe work with modders to do a decent remaster next time instead of suing them into oblivion then giving the project to a very small studio with a 1 dollar budget.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
It's whatever, Rockstar knew they were putting out shit, that's why we heard about it from a leak instead of their own over-the-top style of marketing. Fuck em.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Watched my friend play on PS4 for about an hour and it crashed 3 times on a couple of missions. The game is broken on consoles like Cyberpunk was and on PC it's not running well for many. This should have never existed.

Aug 14, 2020
I wonder to what extent Rockstar are bothered by this. I know they probably still make a ton of money but lol it doesn't exactly look good does it?

I've been playing San Andreas on Gamepass. It's rather dark but aside from that, no real problems. Admittedly I've only played it for like an hour.

Hulk1988

Jul 7, 2021
Seriously question to all of you. After Cyperbunk, Battlefield, GTA and the Blizzard disaster, which publisher you could still trust?

DrFreeman

May 9, 2020

You don't need to make a game unplayable to get a terrible score. You just need to make some really dumb decisions like defacing the unique and loved art styles of each of the games.

E.g. applying a seemingly standard plasticky look across all 3 games (instead of grainy/neon/orange haze for 3/VC/SA), strange and unnecessary changes to the character models, making environments look inconsistent as well as silly typos that are everywhere.

That plus poor optimisation across platforms, treating QA almost as an afterthought and then having the nerve to charge full price.

It's all enough for people to score this low and that's before mentioning the missing music or the other related issues around this release like going after modders.

Hoglet

Banned
Oct 7, 2021
San Andreas has the most glaring visual issues of the three. Vice City has at least one mission that can be unbeatable without a specific workaround. III has been quite fun to revisit and generally looks good (outside of the rain...) as the one I have spent the most time with.

For San Andreas, if you do not have Game Pass, it is probably best to wait and see what they do in terms of updates.

I'm getting it on Gamepass but I guess it won't hurt to wait a couple of weeks until a couple of patches have been applied.

PspLikeANut

Free
May 20, 2018
IIRC they delisted the original versions of the trilogy, on top of removing this one from every player's list so that they could scrub music and other data.

If you have the original versions prior to the delisting, can you still play them?

With reforged, the old versions of Warcraft 3 + frozen throne were completely eradicated and replaced via update regardless of purchase.

Last edited:

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
I would love to be a fly on the wall in the meeting where they decided to still release the game. Whether the developer they picked was up to the task or nor seem irrelevant because someone higher up should have decided that releasing the games in this state, in the flagship series no less, was a terrible idea.

On a side note, guess I might have to start giving Paradox some credit. It seems they went way against the industry grain when they looked at Bloodlines 2 and decided "Yeah, we aren't releasing that."
Or maybe there was no meeting at all.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Making threads over user scores makes little sense when we live in a world where actual good pieces of entertainment are frequently review bombed. Also many people will give user scores without playing the game.

Quite possibly the worst metric we could use.

The game is shit though and very poor effort.

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
The game is shit though and very poor effort.

Haven't played, but I'm not doubting it in the least bit. I've read in the OT and I'm fully aware of the general mood of most people playing it being upset. I'm by no means saying it's good or anything like that. More just a general why are we talking about it having the lowest score ever with a measuring tool that has zero value? The same one which gave Last of Us 2 thousands of 0 scores mere moments after it was able to be reviewed and long before almost anyone could have possibly even turned it on.

Or just go take a look at the Peppa Pig user reviews that are filled with 10's and people calling it the greatest game ever because they think it's a funny take. Like I said zero defending the game and haven't played merely questioning the discussion point of using something ridiculous like a user score.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Haven't played, but I'm not doubting it in the least bit. I've read in the OT and I'm fully aware of the general mood of most people playing it being upset. I'm by no means saying it's good or anything like that. More just a general why are we talking about it having the lowest score ever with a measuring tool that has zero value? The same one which gave Last of Us 2 thousands of 0 scores mere moments after it was able to be reviewed and long before almost anyone could have possibly even turned it on.

Or just go take a look at the Peppa Pig user reviews that are filled with 10's and people calling it the greatest game ever because they think it's a funny take. Like I said zero defending the game and haven't played merely questioning the discussion point of using something ridiculous like a user score.

I'm not saying the scores are paragons of objectivity but I don't mind clarion calls to shit on dodgy work by billion dollar corps.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Found it silly is all so I am messing around about the name meaning low quality. But my point stands that if you name your studio after the games you are working on it is terrible name. I will point out 343 for this too with terrible studio names lol.
343 is an awesome studio name.

Oct 31, 2017
I was pretty hopeful for this, as I was a huge fan of these games back in their heyday but am glad I didn't just buy this outright.

Worry that the (lack of) quality of this is reflective of the large amount of creative turnover from the top at Rockstar in these last few years. That Grand Theft Auto (and Rockstar as a studio more generally) is never going to be quite the same, even if stuff like the GTA IP itself maintains in terms of popular appeal/actual numbers.

My suspicion is that going forward, Rockstar as we knew it is basically a husk of its former self after the loss of such brand defining people like Dan Houser, Leslie Benzies and Lazlow Jones. That them and their games seem highly likely to go the fate of Infinity Ward & Call of Duty; that they'll still be huge successes but that they'll lack that kernel of talent that made the studio and their games what they once were. That special sauce.

Sucks, but every dog has its day.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
why are we talking about it having the lowest score ever with a measuring tool that has zero value? The same one which gave Last of Us 2 thousands of 0 scores mere moments after it was able to be reviewed and long before almost anyone could have possibly even turned it on.

No one is claiming Metacritic user scores as some pillar of unconditional truth, it's just noteworthy when it's out of the ordinary and pretty much one-sided.

TLOU2 and Peppa Pig are quite different contexts with other factors that may not have an impact here. Not that GTA isn't political but I don't see many people, if any, talking about politics in their reviews here; it's almost exclusively regarding the quality of the remaster.

lost7

Feb 20, 2018
Playing San Andreas on PS5 and I'm actually having a good time. Surprised to see such a negative reaction to the game

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
No one is claiming Metacritic user scores as some pillar of unconditional truth, it's just noteworthy when it's out of the ordinary and pretty much one-sided.

TLOU2 and Peppa Pig are quite different contexts with other factors that may not have an impact here. Not that GTA isn't political but I don't see many people, if any, talking about politics in their reviews here; it's almost exclusively regarding the quality of the remaster.
That this even has to be explained is beyond wild, especially when trying to use TLoU 2 and Peppa Pig as examples.

There's review bombing for insane, ignorant reasons.... then there's reviewing based on the actual game being bad.

Jesus Christ.