• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jaffaro

Banned
Mar 16, 2018
I just hope the fact that they don't show even a tiny bit of gameplay doesn't mean the the changes aren't that big and it would do they bad marketing to show it.
Even for GTA V and RDR2 they showed bits of gameplay. With these games it's nothing.

Anyway I think pre-ordering Definitive Trilogy is just stupid. Those remasters have a huge potential to be a massive letdowns.

Real

Oct 28, 2017
It doesn't strike me as odd in the least considering its Rockstar and these games are both A) mega popular and B) a known quantity. You can just, like, not buy it until you get screens/videos/impressions?

I'm glad you don't run their marketing department - although the way it's looking, someone similar to someone who thinks this way does.

The way this rollout's going, I personally don't want to buy them at all. In 2021, expectations and the managing thereof make up a huge percentage of what we consider successful video game marketing. If this version is so worth buying over the originals, why haven't they shown any gameplay that SHOWS off those differences?

Just as important the things that a company shows are the things that they don't. This is concerning.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad you don't run their marketing department - although the way it's looking, someone similar to someone who thinks this way does.

The way this rollout's going, I personally don't want to buy them at all. In 2021, expectations and the managing thereof make up a huge percentage of what we consider successful video game marketing. If this version is so worth buying over the originals, why haven't they shown any gameplay that SHOWS off those differences?

Just as important the things that a company shows are the things that they don't. This is concerning.

I mean that's your prerogative, and I wouldn't blame you, but I would also be very surprised if your mindset is anything close to a majority for potential GTA Trilogy consumers. As one of those said potential buyers, im not "concerned" at all. I very much understand that there may be aspects of this Trilogy that aren't great (particularly the soundtrack) but I am also just going to wait and see and make my purchasing decision. Its not that serious.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020

If seeing gameplay is what you're concerned with, why are you saying you're considering not buying these games at all? Surely just waiting until after release will give you what you need?

Nerun

Oct 30, 2017
Pretty sure they receive fantastatic sales numbers without any more work on their side for a gameplay trailer. Also just try one the three games with Game Pass or PS Now and decide then if it is worth getting the other two remasters.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Gameplay?? We've known how these games will play for over 20 years now. It's those games but with a decent new coat of paint. Done.

The real question (and why I'm not getting this day 1) is: how many songs made the cut? I imagine not 100% of them were able to be re-licensed...

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
I hope it's awesome, I am super excited! Going to wait to get it Physical on the Switch, probably see what's up with the PC version. I need Ultrawide!

Apr 21, 2018
With all the looming concerns, there is really no precedent to think Rockstar will screw up this release. They are great developers and have treated this series very well over the years -- the PSP and DS GTA's handled well.

I wouldn't worry, even though expectations should be kept in check over the Switch version.

Oct 27, 2017
1. Rockstar doesn't usually show gameplay in any trailer before launch.

2. We already know how they'll play since they've been around for 20, 19 and 17 years respectively, but they now have controls modeled after GTA V and graphic upgrades.

Last edited:

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
To each their own but for me the game doesn't launch until December when boxes are on store shelves.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I'm expecting it to play exactly the same as the original. Wasn't the only gameplay overhaul they confirmed was the ability to restart missions quickly after failing?

Of course, that only fixes like a small portion of the abominable Big Smoke mission lol

Didn't see this answered in here; they actually updated all the controls to be GTAV-like.

Should make them feel like whole new games, in a way.

SweetBellic

Oct 28, 2017
I mean, the trailer does feature a few seconds of what appears to be gameplay edited in with all the cut scenes (Claude driving and running around with an RPG, as well as Tommy and CJ driving motorcycles). So not technically "zero gameplay."

If you're looking for raw, unedited gameplay, then no, there's been none. But R* never does that. The most they've ever done are edited gameplay-focused trailers for new releases (starting with RDR1), but that would be unnecessary to do for twenty year old games most prospective buyers have already played. Most of us don't need a video to tell us you can do paramedic missions and stunt jumps and buy car bombs in GTA III lol. And we already know from the press release the games will feature a GTA V-style control scheme and weapon/radio wheels.

I'm waiting for the Steam version or physical PS version so I'll be checking out let's plays in the meantime anyway, so there will be tons of raw gameplay soon enough.

The Benz

Oct 27, 2017
Rockstar has shown pre-release gameplay of every title since the first Red Dead Redemption. I reckon the reason they're holding back here is because the game looks a bit shit. I'm not saying it's going to PLAY like shit but we know A LOT of the movement animations are almost untouched from the original game. It seems they've gone with canned death animations as well, which might not bode well with modern audiences. It's probably going to feel a lot better to play rather than watch.

SkoomaBlade

Chicken Chaser
Oct 30, 2017
With all the looming concerns, there is really no precedent to think Rockstar will screw up this release. They are great developers and have treated this series very well over the years -- the PSP and DS GTA's handled well.

I wouldn't worry, even though expectations should be kept in check over the Switch version.
To be fair, the Definitive Edition is being developed by the same studio that handled the mobile ports that weren't particularly well received by GTA community, especially the SA mobile port.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gameplay?? We've known how these games will play for over 20 years now. It's those games but with a decent new coat of paint. Done.

The real question (and why I'm not getting this day 1) is: how many songs made the cut? I imagine not 100% of them were able to be re-licensed...
But the hope is that the gameplay has been improved. If GTA: SA still controls like it did in 2005 I'm going to play it for 10 minutes and then never touch it, again. Thank you GamePass.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
They are old games. If you have one of them on an old system play it for 10 mins and you'll get the picture. The updated controls aren't going to radically change gameplay. The missions are going to be the same. The dialogue is the same. Everything is the same but they've tidied it up a smidge. These are among the most known games among games. They assume you already know what the gameplay is I wager. You drive and shoot. But also just Rockstar being Rockstar.

Oct 27, 2017
To be fair, the Definitive Edition is being developed by the same studio that handled the mobile ports that weren't particularly well received by GTA community, especially the SA mobile port.
God the mobile port of SA is such a mess.

Still not sure why they decided to make everything like plastic. Kinda like this version actually.

So bad.

Nov 27, 2017
California
We don't have full soundtrack confirmation
That's more important than gameplay
I'm expected all Micheal Jackson songs cut but the rest should be good to go

jman1954goat

Linked the Fire
May 9, 2020

We know there are control changes so No we don't know how these will play yet.

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
Welcome to every GTA game that isn't GTAV.

When these games originally came out, the first actual gameplay you saw was the game running on your TV.

GTAIV was the real mystery. We pretty much knew what we were getting with VC and SA, and I think that mostly applies here too. But IV had zero gameplay on a brand new engine until people started leaking it a few days in advance.

Glassboy

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if the ps5 version will utilize some of the dualsense haptics. Is the physical release coming later because copies would leak in advance potentially revealing a butchered soundtrack? With digital only initially they can get a ton of preorders without people knowing any better.

SkoomaBlade

Chicken Chaser
Oct 30, 2017
God the mobile port of SA is such a mess.

Still not sure why they decided to make everything like plastic. Kinda like this version actually.

So bad.
While the SA mobile port is indeed ass, particularly the loss of certain effects essential to the games look (orange heat haze), I very much like look the new DE. I think it just works.

Oct 27, 2017
While the SA mobile port is indeed ass, particularly the loss of certain effects essential to the games look (orange heat haze), I very much like look the new DE. I think it just works.
Personally I feel it is the models that I hate mostly. They are not as detailed as the original textures (I know it sounds weird but compare Vice City especially). Lance and Ken look awful and the latter no longer looks like a middle aged high on coke lawyer. They look like some weird plastic looking shit.

jaffaro

Banned
Mar 16, 2018

And that's the thing most people don't even know about and why pre-ordering is risky as hell. Most casual gamers probably think that it is developed by Rockstar like every other GTAs so they have no idea that these games may turn out to be total shit. But hey it's GTA I MUST HAVE IT NOW!

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I remember how many times I read the GTA IV date murder mission on magazines, where you had to online date your target, wait a few days for him to respond, and then go to the date and kill him.

It sounded amazing. It's a shame the game only has a couple of those.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Can't understand this sentiment. You're essentially requesting marketing materials to make a decision to pre-order. For a game collection with no preorder bonuses or incentives. Games most of us have played.

And this release was announced a month ago, it's not like we've been waiting a year and half. You'll have all the gameplay you can handle in a few days, just make a decision then.

stn

Oct 28, 2017
I pre-ordered the disc copy, which is launching next month. I'll cancel my pre-order if the gameplay refinements are crap. Maybe do that?

Status
Not open for further replies.