Status
Not open for further replies.

任天堂ファン

Alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2020
Didn't they directly say they changed gameplay elements? If so, which I believe is the case, a large part of the appeal for these remakes would be to see what has changed in the modernization process.

So, short answer, yes. Gameplay of a remake of a game promising updated gameplay seems pretty important.

They changed the control scheme but that is not something typically shown off in a gameplay trailer. You can also restart missions as soon as you fail them but that's self explanatory, easy to visualise and not something that requires a trailer.

The core game, such as going to a person, picking up a mission, buying clothes, buying property etc probably has not changed and is something you can just YouTube the older entries for. There are entire gameplay playthroughs out there for you to see.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Crazy we have seen no gameplay.

I am only interested in San Andreas and it's on Gamepass so personally it's fine because I'll try it there regardless.

What we have seen looks….different. It's so clean and with such old textures that it's an odd look but that's probably just me being weird lol

Koklusz

Oct 27, 2017
I expect to be proven wrong, but between attacking modding community, delisting old versions and making new ones exclusive to R* own launcher on PC (so they get all the money), I won't be surprised if this remasters turn out to be a buggy mess made cheap and rushed to make some quick buck. I mean, if they knew they have a quality product, then why would thy take away the choice from the consumers?

denpanosekai

Oct 28, 2017
Y'all worry about gameplay trailers. I'll sit here in the corner waiting to see if ps4/ps5 gets day one patches.

Because that would be stupid.

UltraInstinct

Nov 19, 2017
This is nothing new with Rockstar. They did this with GTAIV and if I'm not mistaken San Andreas on the PS2 as well as RDR.

Valiant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I dunno why you need to see gameplay.

They said they upgraded them to the GTA V control scheme...

So just imagine San Andreas with GTA V controls.

Mar 29, 2018
I expect to be proven wrong, but between attacking modding community, delisting old versions and making new ones exclusive to R* own launcher on PC (so they get all the money), I won't be surprised if this remasters turn out to be a buggy mess made cheap and rushed to make some quick buck. I mean, if they knew they have a quality product, then why would thy take away the choice from the consumers?
Not Rockstar's MO. Rockstar are insanely careful with their IP and try to ensure only the highest quality content is published for any of their franchises. Similarly to Nintendo. Are there slip ups and mistakes? Sure. But when it comes to your biggest, most important IP? Something as giant as GTA? Na. They'll be meticulously careful and not release (or even announce) until they're absolutely confident in the product.

This could be why we heard about the Trilogy so short notice - maybe they were not confident in it until very recently and played the marketing quickly to make up for lost time (COVID etc).

Honestly I'm very skeptical too, but on paper, it makes zero sense they'd put anything out except a high quality remaster here.

Beary Jams

Nov 5, 2017
Portland, OR
I think my bigger concern is just getting an OT going so everything can flow into one place. This is the third active topic we've got on this collection going and I think we need to rein things in a bit.

Oct 28, 2017
I hope when Rockstar releases GTA 6 they show zero gameplay before release. Not a single damn thing. Cinematic trailers and only cinematic trailers. One of the reason the hype for GTA IV was so great is that it had that wonder. You just didn't know what the game was going to look like. It made finally playing it feel special.

Bobson Dugnutt

Self Requested Ban
Oct 25, 2017
man the hype for san andreas at the time was amazing. I don't think I've been more excited for a piece of media. reading every preview in all the magazines and being excited for every new detail and screenshot. viewing every little silly spoof website they put up. discussing and speculating about stuff endlessly on gamefaqs.

the overview vids they put out these days are good too, but in a way I'm glad they don't show the shit out their games. even if it's bad in this situation in regards to soundtrack.

Koklusz

Oct 27, 2017
Not Rockstar's MO. Rockstar are insanely careful with their IP and try to ensure only the highest quality content is published for any of their franchises. Similarly to Nintendo. Are there slip ups and mistakes? Sure. But when it comes to your biggest, most important IP? Something as giant as GTA? Na. They'll be meticulously careful and not release (or even announce) until they're absolutely confident in the product.
Rockstar's MO to date has been treating legacy titles like trash, and only update them to remove the songs when license expires, also while they at it that can brake mod support on pc every time, because why not. GTA's pre V on PC out of the box are all borderline broken and have been for decades now, R* not only didn't fix them but actively made them worse.

On console side, we had butchered low effort PS3/X360 ports of butchered low effort mobile ports of butchered low effort PC ports. GTA4 didn't have a version running at stable frame rate on console until BC on XSX! That's eleven years later! And that's basically only thanks to MS!

The idea of Rockstar treating anything that's not their latest or/and GTA Online with any kind of care is preposterous.

dose

Oct 29, 2017
I dunno why you need to see gameplay.

They said they upgraded them to the GTA V control scheme...

So just imagine San Andreas with GTA V controls.
Do we know how well it runs, framerate etc for the various platforms? Do we know what the soundtrack is? For something that Rockstar are expecting people to shell out for, these things need to be known.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2018
Rockstar's MO to date has been treating legacy titles like trash, and only update them to remove the songs when license expires, also while they at it that can brake mod support on pc every time, because why not. GTA's pre V on PC out of the box are all borderline broken and have been for decades now, R* not only didn't fix them but actively made them worse.

On console side, we had butchered low effort PS3/X360 ports of butchered low effort mobile ports of butchered low effort PC ports. GTA4 didn't have a version running at stable frame rate on console until BC on XSX! That's eleven years later! And that's basically only thanks to MS!

The idea of Rockstar treating anything that's not their latest or/and GTA Online with any kind of care is preposterous.
I guess I was only thinking of latest (new) releases which are treated like royalty. Haven't played any of the legacy titles/ports for like 5 years and I swear the last one I played was fine. They seem to be treating this new trilogy remake release as a brand new content release rather than legacy ports.

Rayasab

Banned
Apr 12, 2021
Any idea if the switch version will have all 3 on a cart? or like RE collections single game on the card and the rest are codes?

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Given what we've seen so far, I'm fully expecting it to be the same physics and models and gameplay we had originally.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
This is fairly normal for a Rockstar PR cycle. They rarely put out game footage that isn't just highly edited and stylized for a trailer.

FairFight

Oct 27, 2017
Chandler, AZ
These are exciting for me merely for the nostalgia. I'm just afraid that that feeling will wear off in the first 15 minutes and I'll realize I'm just playing GTA 3 for the umpteenth time. This would be a great time as a first experience I'd think. Even then though, if I grew up with GTA 5 would I even want to play something like this?

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Any idea if the switch version will have all 3 on a cart? or like RE collections single game on the card and the rest are codes?
There is a download required label on the box.

What that means precisely I think is unknown at this time, but you shouldn't assume all 3 are on cart.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
Yeah pretty fucking crazy but everyone will just buy it anyways on R*s rep. We saw how well that worked out for Cyberpunk though 😬

Golbez

Oct 20, 2020
Looking forward to find out how terrible the San Andreas remaster performs on my XB1 (and how many songs are missing).

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
I never pre order games *digitally* but I feel like I am about to pre order this one. 20 bucks each but bundled doesn't feel bad. I think the gameplay trailer looked alright. I think these games are selling millions regardless.

boogerbrain51

Nov 3, 2020
Why do y'all think songs will be missing? When it's way easier to monetize songs and get sync licensing for them

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It's concerning. But not unusual for R*

My main worry is the gameplay and quality of life stuff. "Controls like GTAV" feels too broad to me and I want to see details.

People seem real hung up on the soundtrack but that's the one area I'm not concerned about. Do I think it will be as it was originally? No. But do I think they're going to strip out 40 songs from vice city and not replace them with some equally great 80's bangers? No, of course not.

If Billie Jean gets replaced by some Phil Collins I'd be A-OK with that...chuck in some Pat Benatar while you're at it.

Why do y'all think songs will be missing? When it's way easier to monetize songs and get sync licensing for them

The MJ estate flat out don't want his songs in stuff like GTA. No amount of money will likely change that.

Mar 29, 2018
It's concerning. But not unusual for R*

My main worry is the gameplay and quality of life stuff. "Controls like GTAV" feels too broad to me and I want to see details.

People seem real hung up on the soundtrack but that's the one area I'm not concerned about. Do I think it will be as it was originally? No. But do I think they're going to strip out 40 songs from vice city and not replace them with some equally great 80's bangers? No, of course not.

If Billie Jean gets replaced by some Phil Collins I'd be A-OK with that...chuck in some Pat Benatar while you're at it.
Same boat.

Rockstar are also one of the few firms with the actual capital to pay their way back to having all these legacy songs. Theyd easily shell out millions just for the licensing.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Pc version will be modded in about 12 seconds to restore the original soundtracks

but yeah it would be nice for console versions to have that music. Somehow.

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Im playing the ps2 version of gta3 on ps5. I still enjoy this game 2 decades later a lot and can't wait for Friday.

SkoomaBlade

Chicken Chaser
Oct 30, 2017
Im playing the ps2 version of gta3 on ps5. I still enjoy this game 2 decades later a lot and can't wait for Friday.
Whats the general performance like for you on PS5?

I bought the original trilogy when I first got my PS4 Pro and they ran great, minus some legacy frame pacing stuff. Later swapped out my factory HDD for a 2TB Seagate and the performance for the trilogy tanked, VC became completely unplayable, and 3 and SA had major stuttering issues that made it annoying to play. Read online somewhere that the PS2 emulator didn't like non-factory HDDs or something.

Recently got a PS5 and was hoping it would brute force the performance issues. Although it seems like Manhunt and The Warriors are now messed up on the PS5.

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Whats the general performance like for you on PS5?

I bought the original trilogy when I first got my PS4 Pro and they ran great, minus some legacy frame pacing stuff. Later swapped out my factory HDD for a 2TB Seagate and the performance for the trilogy tanked, VC became completely unplayable, and 3 and SA had major stuttering issues that made it annoying to play. Read online somewhere that the PS2 emulator didn't like non-factory HDDs or something.

Recently got a PS5 and was hoping it would brute force the performance issues. Although it seems like Manhunt and The Warriors are now messed up on the PS5.
Still randomly stutters, some random visual glitches sometimes, the same as ps4 I feel. I'm excited to play at 60fps on console finally

ket

Jul 27, 2018
ppl keep saying that not showing gameplay is typical of rockstar as if they haven't done gameplay reveal/overviews for multiple titles in the past (RDR1, Max Payne 3, GTA5 and RDR2)

also, since they're charging $60 then I don't think a gameplay overview that shows off the new features along with how the game runs on switch, last gen, mobile, etc. would be unreasonable.

Last edited:

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
ppl keep saying that not showing gameplay is typical of rockstar as if they haven't done gameplay reveal/overviews for multiple titles in the past (RDR1, Max Payne 3 and RDR2)

also, since they're charging $60 then I don't think a gameplay overview that shows off the new features along with how the game runs on switch, last gen, mobile, etc. would be unreasonable.

I thin what people are saying is generally that if Rockstar is that close to the vest with brand new games, its not that surprising that they'd treat a compilation/remaster even more secretively. Just seems to be their general M.O., and its mostly because they can and they know it.

Vic20

Nov 10, 2019
since they're charging $60 then I don't think a gameplay overview that shows off the new features along with how the game runs on switch, last gen, mobile, etc. would be unreasonable.
There are no new features, unless you want a trailer focused on a weapon wheel and the ability to restart missions.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
There are no new features, unless you want a trailer focused on a weapon wheel and the ability to restart missions.

New features would include a new control scheme, improved draw distances, the improved lock-on aiming, updated mini-maps, the new GPS system, gyro-aiming, etc: https://www.rockstargames.com/newsw...ogy-the-definitive-edition-coming-november-11

Idk why ppl are fighting the notion of showing consumers the gameplay of a $60 remaster collection.

Status
Not open for further replies.