benzy

Oct 25, 2017
I've been waiting on reviews to decide what to do with GotG.
I read the Eurogamer as I usually like their reviews and I like that there isn't a score attached.
It sounds like this game is a huge hot mess both in good, and bad, ways lol.
I appreciate it's single player with NO microtransactions, no DLC coming, just the full game at launch.
A rarity nowadays.

But the fact that healing sounds borked, along with enemies being very spongey, and the game being ultra linear, adds up to I'm gonna wait for a sale, or Gamepass. I did love the 2 movies because they are just so weird and crazy compared to other Marvel stuff. So I'll play this at some point, but with some patches for healing/combat, and a little price reduction or GP, I'll definitely check it out.

the customizable difficulty settings should take care of that issue.

"Custom – I do it my way
Sub-categories of difficulty settings
· Guardians Mode Slowdown – Slider. This value represents how much time is slowed down when you are in Guardians mode. The higher the value, the greater the slow down. 1 represents a complete pause, while 0 is no slow down at all.
· Damage Dealt – Very Low to Very High. The higher this setting, the more damage Star-Lord deals to enemies.
· Guardians Cooldown Duration – Slider. This multiplier affects the cooldown on each Guardian's abilities. Increasing this value will give more weight to your decisions and demand more planning on your part.
· Huddle Auto-Win – On/Off. If this setting is turned on, you will not be presented with a choice wheel during the Huddle sequences, and the correct answer will be automatically selected.
· Cost of Elemental Shots – Slider. This multiplier affects how much Elemental Ammo an Elemental Shot costs. Increasing this value will make your Elemental Shots more valuable and require more planning on your part.
· Damage Received – Very Low to Very High. The higher this setting, the more damage Star-Lord and the Guardians receive from enemies.
· Shield Regeneration – Very Low to Very High. This setting determines how long after taking damage Star-Lord's shield will begin to regenerate, as well as the rate of regeneration, and the extent of damage taken, while the shield is depleted.
· Death Event Timer – Easy to Hardcore. The amount of time an ally is in danger before they become overwhelmed.
· Vulnerability Timer – Slider. The length of time that an enemy retains the vulnerabilities applied by abilities.
· Death Gate – Very Easy to Very Hard. The number of times a player needs to be hit before dying after reaching 0 HP, as well as the length of time a player is in danger before they recover."

I wonder what difficulty setting Eurogamer was playing on and if they were expecting Star-lord to quickly brute force through the enemies all by himself. You can take down enemies relatively quickly if you utilize your teammate attacks and build up a damage multiplier.

Gamespot has a good vid going over tips and tricks for the combat and enemy weakness that the game doesn't really explain well

Last edited:

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
Our podcast was fortunate enough to get a code and I've been playing for a few hours. Strangely enough, this feels a lot like a big budget Telltale game to me. You're constantly in conversation with tons of unique dialogue for the situation, much of it is reactive, you have dialogue choices that impact your relationships with other characters. Combat and traversal feel like they're there only as a connective tissue for the conversations. I'm digging it!

noodlesoup

Feb 21, 2018
Chicago, IL
From what I'm hearing, the story and characters in this game are phenomenally done where the only thing holding it back is the rather simplistic combat.

I don't think the simple gameplay is gonna affect my enjoyment of the game; I'm still hyped to play this tomorrow. lol

Oct 27, 2017
Any performance info available for PS5 vs Series X? Contemplating PS5 since that's where I've got Avengers and Spidey, but Series X is frequently pulling ahead on frames and resolution these days.

Alternatively if these can't do 1440p @ 60fps, I'll probably go PC.

Rosur

Oct 28, 2017
Kinda glad its being relatively well received compared to initial previews I'll probably pick up when cheaper as too much else atm.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
And if it doesn't come to game pass?

tenor.gif

Oct 27, 2017
the customizable difficulty settings should take care of that issue.

"Custom – I do it my way
Sub-categories of difficulty settings
· Guardians Mode Slowdown – Slider. This value represents how much time is slowed down when you are in Guardians mode. The higher the value, the greater the slow down. 1 represents a complete pause, while 0 is no slow down at all.
· Damage Dealt – Very Low to Very High. The higher this setting, the more damage Star-Lord deals to enemies.
· Guardians Cooldown Duration – Slider. This multiplier affects the cooldown on each Guardian's abilities. Increasing this value will give more weight to your decisions and demand more planning on your part.
· Huddle Auto-Win – On/Off. If this setting is turned on, you will not be presented with a choice wheel during the Huddle sequences, and the correct answer will be automatically selected.
· Cost of Elemental Shots – Slider. This multiplier affects how much Elemental Ammo an Elemental Shot costs. Increasing this value will make your Elemental Shots more valuable and require more planning on your part.
· Damage Received – Very Low to Very High. The higher this setting, the more damage Star-Lord and the Guardians receive from enemies.
· Shield Regeneration – Very Low to Very High. This setting determines how long after taking damage Star-Lord's shield will begin to regenerate, as well as the rate of regeneration, and the extent of damage taken, while the shield is depleted.
· Death Event Timer – Easy to Hardcore. The amount of time an ally is in danger before they become overwhelmed.
· Vulnerability Timer – Slider. The length of time that an enemy retains the vulnerabilities applied by abilities.
· Death Gate – Very Easy to Very Hard. The number of times a player needs to be hit before dying after reaching 0 HP, as well as the length of time a player is in danger before they recover."

I wonder what difficulty setting Eurogamer was playing on and if they were expecting Star-lord to quickly brute force through the enemies all by himself. You can take down enemies relatively quickly if you utilize your teammate attacks and build up a damage multiplier.

Gamespot has a good vid going over tips and tricks for the combat and enemy weakness that the game doesn't really explain well

Wow, that's actually kind of incredible to see so many difficulty option modifiers that are not the typical enemies have more health and aim bot. I would love more games to include stuff like that for replayability, or you could just mess with all kinds of different combos for a challenge.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
Everything time I see footage of the game it reminds me of old school PS2 action adventure games. Something I'd rent from Blockbuster as a kid and have a solid weekend with

viskod

Nov 9, 2017
Because being alt-right and having ties to gamergate isn't a reason enough?
Just hearing "some people at resetera said" doesn't mean anything by itself. I've watched a lot of his reviews and in them alone I've never heard him say anything that would imply this. Which is why I was so surprised by the ban on his content.

If you could pm me a link to something that shows what you're taking about, that'd be great.

Patsy

Jun 7, 2019
Germany
Just hearing "some people at resetera said" doesn't mean anything by itself. I've watched a lot of his reviews and in them alone I've never heard him say anything that would imply this. Which is why I was so surprised by the ban on his content.

If you could pm me a link to something that shows what you're taking about, that'd be great.

spoiler tagging this as to try to not derail this thread any further, but a lot of the videos on laymen gaming which is his second channel had shit like "sjw" & "triggered" in their titles & thumbnails & were misogynistic etc. around 2017 & 2018. not sure if that carried over into 2019 & onwards, but i personally don't trust ppl who even tried to appeal to gamergators & bigots in general just once & never did it again. & they did it repeatedly so yeah, he's imo rightfully banned even if that shit seemingly never seeped into the content of his main channel.

viskod

Nov 9, 2017
spoiler tagging this as to try to not derail this thread any further, but a lot of the videos on laymen gaming which is his second channel had shit like "sjw" & "triggered" in their titles & thumbnails & were misogynistic etc. around 2017 & 2018. not sure if that carried over into 2019 & onwards, but i personally don't trust ppl who even tried to appeal to gamergators & bigots in general just once & never did it again. & they did it repeatedly so yeah, he's imo rightfully banned even if that shit seemingly never seeped into the content of his main channel.
I guess I'll look those up, just having that in the titles doesn't mean it's automatically sincere and not done in a satirical or mocking way.

Girlfriend Reviews complimented his LOU2 review and they're always excellent.

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
Looks good. I'll probably still wait for some patches and a price drop though. Just a lot to currently play over the next little bit.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
The game looks visually stunning. The colors or so vibrant and striking. The gameplay itself looks pretty good. Will definitely look into it after getting my hands on a PS5 or Series X.
Yeah, I've loved that about the environments and the ships in all the 4K footage so far. The vibrant look is a really nice touch.

JohngPR

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando, FL
Really torn about what version to get between Series X or PS5. Series X version has Dolby Vision and Atmos and PS5 has adaptive triggers and my other Marvel games are on there.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Really torn about what version to get between Series X or PS5. Series X version has Dolby Vision and Atmos and PS5 has adaptive triggers and my other Marvel games are on there.
Ohhh, didn't know it supports Dolby Atmos and Vision too. I just picked up an LG C1 so Xbox version it is then for me 👀

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Solid reviews, glad the game is being received well. Shame that I was gonna pick this up today, but I'm neck-deep into my Endwalker catch-up. I don't expect I'll be playing anything other than FFXIV for these few months, lol. Once the phase is over I'll definitely pick it up though.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
I was waiting to see whether this gets panned by critics or not.

And it's not panned!

Gonna pick this up for sure, looks like a great romp.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Huh, I wonder if I could be into this. I liked the idea of GOTG but didn't enjoy the cast (as in the actors) very much and something about Gunn's humor didn't really land for me, if this is sort of the same thing but with a slightly different flavor I might enjoy this.

As unlikely as it is, any of the reviews written by someone who's explicitly not that into the MCU and/or GOTG movies?

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
Ordered. I do wish they got review copies early (or dropped embargo) to let people decide which version to get.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I'm so torn. I'm really glad to see it got good reviews. Truly happy about that. But a lot of reviews are saying that it's both long AND repetitive. I don't mind long, but if it's the exact same gameplay the whole time, I get extremely bored with stuff like that. If it's just shooting/combat, I would find that pretty boring.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's interesting that Aloy and Lara Croft having a couple lines during their game trailers caused a huge outrage, yet a full game of Star Lord never shutting the fuck up already jesus christ doesn't seem to get any criticism at all.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
It's interesting that Aloy and Lara Croft having a couple lines during their game trailers caused a huge outrage, yet a full game of Star Lord never shutting the fuck up already jesus christ doesn't seem to get any criticism at all.
Difference between banter in a team and speaking to yourself constantly.

benzy

Oct 25, 2017

I believe this game also had complaints of characters and Star-lord talking too much when they showed the first gameplay reveal. But in the final game, the banter and constant conversations with the Guardians as the story progresses throughout each chapter are really good, well written, and fits the tone of this IP. Almost as if some things are just difficult to demo and people making off-base judgement on short snippets.

Raigor

May 14, 2020

Are you seriously trying to compare games with a somewhat serious story and a campy game like GOTG?

Characters talking too much and saying pretty much nothing are way more annoying in games when you are supposed to take the story seriously, it's the same issue Wolfenstein 2 had when Blazko couldn't shut up the whole game.

Also GOTG is a game with a party having the main character muted makes no sense while the games you listed are solo adventures.