• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Horizon 2021 or 2022?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
HFW is an easy 2021, considering how long it's been in development for and how it's still on track.

(my guess? August 20th).

God of War is the delayed to 2022 game you're thinking of.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly think they're waiting to see what is announced for other games at E3 before stamping a date on it.

Zoph

Oct 25, 2017
Calling it now, we'll get a new story trailer with a release date at whatever Sony does for E3. This event was to get their deep dive out if the way so the E3 event can focus on other things.

¡Hip Hop!

Nov 9, 2017
I don't think they would have done a 20 minute video in May of 2021 if they planned to push it to next year.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
HFW is an easy 2021, considering how long it's been in development for and how it's still on track.

(my guess? August 20th).

God of War is the 2022 game you're thinking of.

If that game were August, that date would have been announced today surely. That's like just over 2 months away lol

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Sony recently doubled down on H2 2021, so I'd imagine that they'll be able to hit that mark if development really is on track.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, Sony's strategy always feels like it's been that they don't need heavy hitters in the second half of the year, since they lean heavily on the 3rd party marketing deals and the like. the PS4 gen felt like it was one that was defined by all their 1st party stuff launching in the first half of the year.

Especially with the likes of Kena, Deathloop and what looks to be a Far Cry 6 marketing deal (based off yesterday's info), alongside the usual Call of Duty marketing deal they don't need a fall heavy hitter.
Will be interesting to see, and you do have a point regarding Sony delegating some of that stuff to 3rd party releases. But I feel like Sony has always had at least 1 heavy hitter for the second half of the year, with 2019 being Death Stranding in November and 2018 was Spider-Man in September.

Regardless of their spring releases, I get the feeling they always save at least 1 big 1st party for the second half. If Horizon misses that, I don't know what else they have.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
I don't see them doing a state of play for a game that isn't set to release in six months.
I fully expect it to come out this year.

Bucéfalo

Banned
May 29, 2020
There are 2 options:
-the game releases on 2022, giving them time to polish all the flaws seen in the gameplay.
-the game releases on 2021 maintaining the janky gameplay.

Mar 19, 2021
If that game were August, that date would have been announced today surely. That's like just over 2 months away lol

If it was 2022, they wouldn't have done the SOP today but much closer to release. They would've shown a short new trailer at their next event. It would be unprecedented to see this much from a major Sony game and have it still be almost a year away

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
If they're uncertain this close to Holiday - clearly it should be a 2022 release.
We're not close to Holiday at all, and Sony likely has another unannounced game coming out around that timeframe.

The Last of Us online MP (which was reported to be in the "polishing" stage).

Also for the short memories, God of War's date was announced in the January of its April release.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
You know what I mean. I had figured this was obvious by the language I specifically chose to use.

Well you said "for E3" and "the E3 event" so no, I didn't pick up on that I guess lol

If it was 2022, they wouldn't have done the SOP today but much closer to release. They would've shown a short new trailer at their next event. It would be unprecedented to see this much from a major Sony game and have it still be almost a year away

…Did you quote the wrong person? I was specifically talking about it being in August

GamingCJ

Apr 14, 2019
Sure, but the fact they couldn't even commit to a vague '2021' certainly suggests uncertainty.
I'm not even sure that correlates. They gave a vaque 2021 for GoW 2, and I can't imagine them being certain it making this year.

It's much more reasonable to just read their blog post, that says they are on track with development and will make an announcement very soon.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
Going by the recent interview that the game is still on track for 2021, i vote for 2021.

Release date reveal at Sony's next event most likely.
This.

I think they're just spreading out the PR. Why give everything up at once? They can get another blitz of promo by saving the release date for the next event.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
If it's on track then that means it's still hitting this year. Probably fall. Sony doesn't really have any other big releases during that slot.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm still leaning slightly towards a 2021 release but it could go either way. I wouldn't be surprised at an early 2022 drop

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Will likely slip into the first quarter of 2022 but considering the ambition and scale of the game that seems fair.