• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Vipers stats don't drop in the open world, only be crafted, the gear stats that don't drop in open world are usually expensive.

yeah, i went with a "named" set instead from this link https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Named_armor
which was much cheaper (about 1-2g a piece) and will perfectly serve my needs :D

also fucked around a bit with dyes which I didnt know how to do, so im ready for living world 1 now :D

edit: undead dragon dungeon was pretty fucking awful, it was super long with some really obring parts, and then the dragon itself, much like with WOW and Deathwing back in the day, was...not good. Stop trying to make epic fights vs giant dragons mmos, u cant do it.

im very much enjoying living world season 1 tho, in particular this long ass dungeon with eir's son and the charr lady, its long (im still going as I type this lol) but not boring like the end of vanilla one imo, and has lots of cool mechanics and bosses.

Last edited:

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
loving these 20 slot bags at the end of each season 1 episode tho :D

edit: opened Scarlet's present in the mail...

giphy.gif

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
man I've really been liking LW Season 1 but this tower of nightmares in chapter 4 really sealed the deal, that was super fun.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
finished Living World season 1, it was really good except the dungeon / event thing Battle for Lion's Arch which I didn't like at all compared to Tower of Nightmares (doesnt help those robot bosses that have to die at the same time are ridiculous bullet sponges).

Overall I probably liked LW1 more than the entire of the vanilla experience, and im glad this cast of characters carries on to LW2. Speaking of, interesting to see that clearly LW2 has it's own new zone unlike LW1, and all the traversal powers are neat, or would be neat except I know for a fact I have flying mounts coming my way in the future so I cba doing all this climbing and shit for the collectibles when I can just come back later on a dragon or something.

Im actually surprised LW2 carries on from the Scarlet stuff too, I thought they would be more stand alone.

Clear

Oct 25, 2017
Connecticut
Been a few years but finally coming back. Will work on EoD and then shake off the rust for SOTO.
back in my day strike missions were not even a thing. I've got a lot of work to do.

For raiding I know certain builds were pretty much forced on you for a certain role. It looks like there is a bit more diversity.
I was looking at Specter or the new Vindicator for Rev. Does Scepter have a decide time getting into raids as a dps or a support? I doubt I'll have the time to build multiple characters so would ideally focus on one for raiding.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Guess you could say it is LW 2.5.

Back on release a lot of stuff was time gated. Can easily get through the story pretty quick nowadays.

the mastery gate was pretty annoying trying to go through the story, especially when it forced me to get stuff just for story progression when instead i just wanted to pump more xp into the glider for example.

speaking of, that's awkward since im about to leave HoT zones so I guess i wont be leveling up the glider anymore any time soon...

cyress8

"This guy are sick"
Avenger
the mastery gate was pretty annoying trying to go through the story, especially when it forced me to get stuff just for story progression when instead i just wanted to pump more xp into the glider for example.

speaking of, that's awkward since im about to leave HoT zones so I guess i wont be leveling up the glider anymore any time soon...
I would stay and max out glider. Stays useful even up to the latest expansion.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
I would stay and max out glider. Stays useful even up to the latest expansion.

fuck THAT. I aint staying in these wack ass super maze-y zones. I wanna finish the xpacs on my engi first also get hero points for scrapper and holowizard (whatever its called) to try them out (getting HP in the HoT is a pain in the ass, much like doing anything in those zones is).

then ill use my 2 boosts (3 when I buy the new xpac I guess) on some classes I also want to play and maybe do the mastery stuff with those since ill need to get hero points for them for the elite specs anyway.

Nemesis121

Nov 3, 2017
fuck THAT. I aint staying in these wack ass super maze-y zones. I wanna finish the xpacs on my engi first also get hero points for scrapper and holowizard (whatever its called) to try them out (getting HP in the HoT is a pain in the ass, much like doing anything in those zones is).

then ill use my 2 boosts (3 when I buy the new xpac I guess) on some classes I also want to play and maybe do the mastery stuff with those since ill need to get hero points for them for the elite specs anyway.
Those zones are fun, also you want to max up Glider..

Nemesis121

Nov 3, 2017
they are the opposite of fun my friend
You probably regretting Vipers lol, everything hits hard, it doesn't get easier, PoF mobs hit harder, I have played the entire game as Zerker Guardian, second lowest health pool, one sec your health is fine, next you on the ground fighting for your life..

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
You probably regretting Vipers lol, everything hits hard, it doesn't get easier, PoF mobs hit harder, I have played the entire game as Zerker Guardian, second lowest health pool, one sec your health is fine, next you on the ground fighting for your life..

PoFire is considerably easier than Heart of Throne, open world wise. Heart of thorns remains the most difficult part of the game by a long way, and they've never approached that again in the open world. HoT just has SO many elites that will cream you, and unlike every other expansion it has numerous challenges in each zone that simply aren't soloable.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
has nothing to do with the mobs in there, they are easy, its the layout of the zones. its super maze-y, tons of tunnels, etc

some of the hero point challenges have been hard to solo but theres always ppl around.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, in terms of zone design I think it's their peak - no other MMO has ever tried to do so much with their zones, and the Z axis. But for sure it's also a confusing as fuck nightmare maze of an expansion... ;-)

But when you get to do those zone wide events and everything clicks with a group its amazing. Some of the most fun in an MMO possible, when there's an entire maps worth of people co-ordinating to achieve a goal.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
I completely agree, I actually liked it (except the last zone, that one jumped the shark in complexity imo), but at the same time, I dont want to stay there any longer than I have to, does that make sense? :D

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
I just discovered they added in a way to get the turtle mount in the new end of Dragons zone without needing to do a strike - so I finally have the turtle mount!

Nemesis121

Nov 3, 2017
just found out you need 250g for the gryphon...

I have 80g fam >_>
Griffon is an easy and very fun collection, unlike Sckscale,with the new expansion they plan to streamline the Skyscale collection making it more easier to get, the current skyscale collection is very long, timegated, and tedious.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
really liking LW3 (aka pre-PoF), especially compared to LW2 which did absolutely nothing for me.

edit: its also SUPER MEATY, I've only done 2 episodes and it seems it's been going on forever. And it already took me to 2 new zones. Also

tumblr_osf2pzd0IM1s32a4po1_500.gif

Last edited:

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
are all these zones in Living World Season 3 new for LW3 or did some of them exist already or whats going on? Granted a lot of them are pretty small-ish, at least compared to most major zones, but I swear there has been like 6 or 7 "new" (again I dont know if they were new or not) zones and im STILL not done with it.

Like, none of them can be actual Path of Fire zones because none of them have hero points I noticed. But for example, theres a chapter in the middle where Divinity Reach is under attack by the bad guys, and you have a zone literally right next to DR where you fight off those dudes in various events and whatnot. Did that zone exist and was repurposed for that, or was it also added for LW3?

Either way, LW3 is by far (by FAR) the best content in GW2 so far imo.

Fishious

Oct 27, 2017
are all these zones in Living World Season 3 new for LW3 or did some of them exist already or whats going on? Granted a lot of them are pretty small-ish, at least compared to most major zones, but I swear there has been like 6 or 7 "new" (again I dont know if they were new or not) zones and im STILL not done with it.

Like, none of them can be actual Path of Fire zones because none of them have hero points I noticed. But for example, theres a chapter in the middle where Divinity Reach is under attack by the bad guys, and you have a zone literally right next to DR where you fight off those dudes in various events and whatnot. Did that zone exist and was repurposed for that, or was it also added for LW3?

Either way, LW3 is by far (by FAR) the best content in GW2 so far imo.
The zones were created for season 3.

Basically Season 1 originally dropped tiny updates every 2 weeks or so that altered the existing core zones, but many of the changes and events were removed as the story progressed. I believe the only zone added was Southsun Cove. It was only within the last year or so that Anet went back and reworked Season 1 so that its content is available in a form similar to the later seasons.

Season 2 added Drytop and Silverwastes with each release adding to the maps. These were eventually changed into core zones that are accessible by all players regardless of whether or not you have the season.

Starting with Season 3 they started rolling out a new map with each new episode which basically became the standard from then on. That said there's a few zones that do the Season 2 thing where they're rolled out in parts.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
something slightly annoying, because mastery xp depends on which zone you're on, if you're doing a expansion quest but it happens to be in a vanilla zone, you get vanilla mastery instead :/

edit: another fucking zone (Siren's Landing), goddamn. The last one of LW3 one assumes since its the last chapter. I swear LW3 felt longer than HoT expac overall O_o

Last edited:

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Ended up getting rank 4 gliding just before finishing LW3, not too bad I guess, im certainly not going to grind rank 5 now.

Anyway, Path of Fire time. Also pre-ordered the new one and got another boost, so now I have 3. I guess im gonna use them on... err a Necro, Guardian and Mesmer, as those are the ones Im most interested in looking at the elite specs. My Ranger is lvl 50 from when I was leveling it alongside the Engi at the start, and I have a bunch of those tomes that give you 1 lvl so I can get that to 80 pretty easily aswell.

Leaves only Warrior, Thief, Revenant and Elementalist, and I have no interest in Warrior or Thief and Ele seems a bit too complex with all the stances, especially since im not a big fan of weapon switching and whatnot. Revenant looks cool but im not down with the energy system, one of the things I love about GW2 compared to other mmos is the lack of "mana"

edit: Kas looking good in PoF. Rytlok lost his Revenant eye cover tho.

Last edited:

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
and that's a wrap on Path of Fire, easily the best expansion, and just overall best content in GW2 so far. The zones are infinitely better than the HoT multi-layered labyrinthian hells, the theme and characters are better too (where the fuck were marjorie, rox and brahm tho?), and the focus on the mounts and the masteries being all for the mounts is fantastic. Im missing the rolling ball one and the gryphon, but I dont have the gold for the gryphon so I won't even try for that. I do want to get back and get the rolling ball tho.

one thing that's bumming me out is that im really not liking holosmith or scrapper, and I really feel like changing it up after playing so much mechanist. Im really considering using a boosted char to do end of dragons now just so its different, but that would require some hero point grind because i dont want to play any base-class, I want to play the elite ones. Prob a necro for Reaper, a Mesmer for Virtuoso or a Guardian for Dragonhunter, those are the ones I'm most interested in.

Fishious

Oct 27, 2017
and that's a wrap on Path of Fire, easily the best expansion, and just overall best content in GW2 so far. The zones are infinitely better than the HoT multi-layered labyrinthian hells, the theme and characters are better too (where the fuck were marjorie, rox and brahm tho?), and the focus on the mounts and the masteries being all for the mounts is fantastic. Im missing the rolling ball one and the gryphon, but I dont have the gold for the gryphon so I won't even try for that. I do want to get back and get the rolling ball tho.

one thing that's bumming me out is that im really not liking holosmith or scrapper, and I really feel like changing it up after playing so much mechanist. Im really considering using a boosted char to do end of dragons now just so its different, but that would require some hero point grind because i dont want to play any base-class, I want to play the elite ones. Prob a necro for Reaper, a Mesmer for Virtuoso or a Guardian for Dragonhunter, those are the ones I'm most interested in.
Good news, the roller beetle is in Season 4. Just keep going through the living world and you'll reach the chapter where you can earn it. Do note that it requires more work to obtain than the core PoF mounts, but significantly less than the griffin or skyscale. And skyscale's apparently going to have an easier acquisition method in the upcoming expansion.

As for swapping professions, I feel like PoF had a lot of easily accessible hero points. Now that you have mounts and presumably some associated masteries it shouldn't be that bad to boost a character and grab most of the hero points. You need 250 to unlock an elite specialization and PoF has 290. I'd say grab the easy ones from there and a few of the easier ones from HoT and you'll be set. Also keep in mind you can create a character of a profession and enter the PvP lobby after completing the tutorial to try out all the options at Lv 80. Don't even have to PvP, just try out skills on the dummies and NPCs to see if you like the feel before committing.

waterpuppy

Too green for a tag
Jul 17, 2021
Season 4 is still probably some of my favorite content in all of GW2. A lot of great maps and legitimately amazing storytelling for the final chapters. I still go back to Dragonfall from time to time.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Good news, the roller beetle is in Season 4. Just keep going through the living world and you'll reach the chapter where you can earn it. Do note that it requires more work to obtain than the core PoF mounts, but significantly less than the griffin or skyscale. And skyscale's apparently going to have an easier acquisition method in the upcoming expansion.

As for swapping professions, I feel like PoF had a lot of easily accessible hero points. Now that you have mounts and presumably some associated masteries it shouldn't be that bad to boost a character and grab most of the hero points. You need 250 to unlock an elite specialization and PoF has 290. I'd say grab the easy ones from there and a few of the easier ones from HoT and you'll be set. Also keep in mind you can create a character of a profession and enter the PvP lobby after completing the tutorial to try out all the options at Lv 80. Don't even have to PvP, just try out skills on the dummies and NPCs to see if you like the feel before committing.

ah good news on beetle balls in LW4 then since im doing it now.

and yes, youre right about the easy points in PoF. Hell, even the HoT ones shouldnt be as bad now with the bunny and shit (bunny with long ass jump upgrade too).

Something I forgot to mention regarding not enjoying holosmith and scrapper, it doesnt help that I only have condition gear, so Im kinda forced to go condition on those other elite specs also, and it seems all condition builds are kinda all the same which is kinda lame, at least for engi. Like, you'll always use pistols, and you'll always use the grenade kit because you really have to etc. It ends up feeling too same-y. I could buy a power set, but im gonna have to buy sets for my boosted chars soon and im short on gold (like I said I cant even get the gryphon).

And yeah hearing about skyscale being easier to get in Secrets makes me less fussed about getting the gryphon now.

edit: oh and btw I just noticed in the story quest list tab that there is something called Icebrood Saga after Living World 4 but before End of Dragons, but as far as I know that's not an expansion so was that just LW5 and they just started naming them?

Fishious

Oct 27, 2017
ah good news on beetle balls in LW4 then since im doing it now.

and yes, youre right about the easy points in PoF. Hell, even the HoT ones shouldnt be as bad now with the bunny and shit (bunny with long ass jump upgrade too).

Something I forgot to mention regarding not enjoying holosmith and scrapper, it doesnt help that I only have condition gear, so Im kinda forced to go condition on those other elite specs also, and it seems all condition builds are kinda all the same which is kinda lame, at least for engi. Like, you'll always use pistols, and you'll always use the grenade kit because you really have to etc. It ends up feeling too same-y. I could buy a power set, but im gonna have to buy sets for my boosted chars soon and im short on gold (like I said I cant even get the gryphon).

And yeah hearing about skyscale being easier to get in Secrets makes me less fussed about getting the gryphon now.

edit: oh and btw I just noticed in the story quest list tab that there is something called Icebrood Saga after Living World 4 but before End of Dragons, but as far as I know that's not an expansion so was that just LW5 and they just started naming them?

Regarding armor, you can get Bladed Armor from Verdant Brink in HoT if you have the Itzel Language mastery by spending airship parts. It's stat selectable so you can get some of the options that would be more expensive to buy on the trading post. Other options for stat selectable gear are the Ice Golem's Maw and Ebon Pauldrons which can be bought off the trading post for 1 to 2.5 gold. It's significantly cheaper than buying some sets like Vipers. If you're short on gold doing your daily and events like Tequatl can give you gold, but if you're looking to make more people often run metas like Octovine in Auric basin or Dragonfall in Season 4 for gold. Note that most metas give items which must be sold on the TP and give little liquid gold. You can see which big meta events are running by going here or typing "/wiki et" in game. If you haven't been doing so already I'd recommend checking your crafting material storage to see if you've got anything of worth already.

Icebrood Saga is Season 5. At the time Anet was trying to bill it as an expansion without actually being an expansion, hence actually having a name. In my opinion it starts pretty strong, but finishes weak due to the studio pulling staff from its development to work on EoD. Nobody actually likes the Dragon Response Missions. Nobody.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
Also if you want berserker hear for a power build. The names versions are dirt cheap on the AH at exotic level. Like 40 silver a piece.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Also if you want berserker hear for a power build. The names versions are dirt cheap on the AH at exotic level. Like 40 silver a piece.

yeah that what i got for my mechanist. err the cheap stuff I mean, not berserker specifically. And what I plan to get for all my boosts too, its perfectly serviciable for my single player needs.

Last edited:

Wyze

Nov 15, 2018
I' m so glad that they are making getting Skyscale more accessible. The grind was pretty insane, thruth be told. Now I guess they can design areas around the mount, too, since it'll be more easily acquired.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
This boost system is really good. They let you trial the boosted char in a full zone doing shit and not like just in a small arena. Shame u dont get mastery xp but understandable.

The only issue is, as expecteded, its very overwhelming to suddenly have all your skills available. With a necro it's actually fine since until I get a elite spec all I want is to walk around will full minions and a staff anyway (I love the staff condition traps), but with guardian and mesmer not so much, especially when with both I really only care about the elite specs (for example with mesmer I really want to play virtuoso since as far as I know from videos, you dont have to worry about clone management, the swords do their thing).

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
took a break from LW4 yesterday to get all the PoF hero points on my 3 boosted characters, so 290 each which is a little over a full elite spec, which granted for now was what I wanted. Mixed feelings on the specs, well not really mixed, only one real dissapointment, which was:

Mesmer / Virtuoso - Yeah this isn't it for me. I'm not gonna say I wasted a boost, especially when I dont have THAT much interest in the rest of the classes, but still. The mesmer part, while I was going around getting all the points, was ok-ish, I love the greatsword skills on mesmer (in fact, greatsword has to be the coolest weapon on any class that can use it no?), but the clone AI is awkward, and I hate how they dissapear when they mob you used them on dies. That is something virtuoso actually "fixes" since the swords actually stick around from mob to mob, and the lack of clones makes it more straightforward to play, but a bit TOO straightforward in my opinion, but the biggest issue is how squishy it feels. I had heard about this to be fair, but didnt expect it to be this bad. I actually died a few times on some hero challenges, and a couple I couldnt even solo. Mesmer will deffo go on the backburner for now, maybe one day if Im still playing ill hunt more hero points for the other elite specs.

Guardian / Dragonhunter - Guardian is really fun, again I played greatsword which has some really flashy skills, and did a makeshift fire build just to run around collecting the points and it was pretty good. Much more durable than mesmer obviously which helps. then Dragonhunter is pretty much what I expected, it basically feels like a Ranger without a pet if you used longbow and traps on that class, except with much flashier spells :D Ill deffo play some in the future, especially when I also want to check out the other elite specs.

Necro / Reaper - and this is the one. Vanilla necro with full pets and staff to go about collecting the points felt fantastic, I love staff on necro with all the traps that you can actually place where you want (as in, on mobs) as opposed to laying them at your feet, and im a pet fanboy so obviously I would favor this. Its also super tanky, not only the necro itself but all the pets keeping u save from mobs. And then Reaper is even better which great looking skills and its even MORE tankier. This is deffo the one im going to play as soon as im done with LW4 on the mechanicst and move on to Icebrood Saga.

Story wise, LW4 was actually dragging a bit for me in the middle there with the Joko stuff, but it pulled me back in now with the Kralk stuff near the end. Unfortunately it seems clear now that I will NOT be done in time for Secrets launch (I did pre order it tho), as I still have Icebrood and End of Dragons to go, but that's alright.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
hey one of those public even instance things again finally (Forging Steel) like Tower of Nightmares. There hasnt been one since Living World 1!

im a bit torn on Icebrood Saga so far, not sure if its just not doing much for me, or after 210 hours in the last few weeks im just getting a bit burned out.

EDIT: welp that was kind of shit, just a long ass escort the tank mission culminating in a super bullet spongy robot. Didnt help that we only had like 3 or 4 ppl there so it took 45 years to kill it :(

Last edited:

Nemesis121

Nov 3, 2017
Pandemic destroyed IBS, after the 3rd episode development shifted, 3rd episode had no voice acting for almost a year, had to read the story lol, it will get worse once DRMs begin.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
they're removing elite specs?

I assume that just means they become just normal "core" specs?

DrAg0nBoY

Oct 28, 2017
Where did you get that they are removing elite specs? We are just not getting a new one with this expansion (perhaps also no new elite spec ever). But the 3 elite specs that we have now are still staying elite specs and will (for now, probably) be locked behind the expansions they were released with.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Where did you get that they are removing elite specs? We are just not getting a new one with this expansion (perhaps also no new elite spec ever). But the 3 elite specs that we have now are still staying elite specs and will (for now, probably) be locked behind the expansions they were released with.

oh I misunderstood what I heard in a podcast, they were on about "a new player coming into SOTO will have no elite specs" and that just means they have no previous xpac my bad