• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Perfect Chaos

Oct 25, 2017
Charlottesville, VA, USA
I imagine that's the plan. See how well the Guitars do and go from there.
Considering the jump in price though, I imagine the Drum Set would be like $200.

Kinda glad I have multiple of those already from the 360 days and one from when Woot sold the Band in a Box for $100
Id still be all-in if they're well-made. My old drum set is beat to hell and back and drops notes like crazy, even after doing the old penny trick and going so far as replacing the piezo sensors.

I should probably just bite the bullet and get an electronic drum kit, but does anybody even make the midi adaptors for console connectivity anymore?

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Id still be all-in if they're well-made. My old drum set is beat to hell and back and drops notes like crazy, even after doing the old penny trick and going so far as replacing the piezo sensors.

I should probably just bite the bullet and get an electronic drum kit, but does anybody even make the midi adaptors for console connectivity anymore?
I think this is what you want
rolllimitless.com

Roll Limitless

They have a discord where you can ask questions too

Xyber

Oct 27, 2017
I really just want to use my 360 Warriors of Rock Guitar on my PC :(. Had to pull out my One X just to use my RB4 Jaguar and the engine felt surprisingly good for instrument play, but man I can't help be annoyed by how they've handled this stuff so far. At the very least, on PC I don't understand why they didn't just allow you to map the buttons and strum to keyboard keys and manually turn on Instrument Mode, which would've allowed for stuff like Joy2Key and other custom guitars to work just fine. (unfortunately I wouldn't be surprised if they had some sort of deal in place with PDP seeing as how I think even the last run of RB4 stuff was by them and those are compatible too.)

Not being able to use pretty much anything on PC is so odd. Just have a menu option to map whatever input device you want to frets, strum and overdrive. Should be super easy to implement.

I'm not really that interested in playing it myself, mainly because of the song selection and that the engine doesn't look all that great currently. If I want to play guitar I can just keep playing Clone Hero or YARG with my 4k+ song library.

And for anyone who hasn't heard of YARG, it's basically the Rock Band on PC we never got, usually gets updated several times per week on the nightly build and feels really good to play. https://yarg.in/

OP
OP
Lukar

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Not being able to use pretty much anything on PC is so odd. Just have a menu option to map whatever input device you want to frets, strum and overdrive. Should be super easy to implement.

I'm not really that interested in playing it myself, mainly because of the song selection and that the engine doesn't look all that great currently. If I want to play guitar I can just keep playing Clone Hero or YARG with my 4k+ song library.

And for anyone who hasn't heard of YARG, it's basically the Rock Band on PC we never got, usually gets updated several times per week on the nightly build and feels really good to play. https://yarg.in/
Does YARG support keys yet? I bought a RB3 keyboard a while back in anticipation of them being supported eventually.

AustinJ

Jul 18, 2018
The Xbox wouldn't recognize the frets at all in-song, but the PC seems to do fine with it. RB4 strat. Only played a song on easy, but didn't have any problem registering notes.

Mattmo831

Featuring Mattmo831 from the Apple v Epic case
Oct 26, 2020
eh retrocult mods new update didnt work for me. doesnt recognize it at least on pc. so obviously still some issues here. ugh why couldnt they make this easier

update: got it working. On world tour wii guitars hold the starpower button when plugging it in

Last edited:

Sangral

Powered by Friendship™
Feb 17, 2022

I'm a gigantic fan of Clone Hero and always considered that 1.0 is basically everything you ever need in this genre. I have over 6000 songs myself, runs in dreamy butter smooth 120fps without any issues (Something the Fortnite Festival still doesn't support, lol) and the input lag is a dream, which means basically not there and if, the calibrations are super easy to do, plus the ability to mod the lanes and backgrounds including adding music videos.

That being said, am I missing out not using Yarg? And if yes, in what exactly?

Yari

Oct 25, 2017
The bullshit with the Playstation PC support thing is rather upsetting. I have no Xbox and I dont expect to buy one again, so I'd opt for the Playstation one here and just use it on PC too, but the stunt they pulled is messed up.

Xyber

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a gigantic fan of Clone Hero and always considered that 1.0 is basically everything you ever need in this genre. I have over 6000 songs myself, runs in dreamy butter smooth 120fps without any issues (Something the Fortnite Festival still doesn't support, lol) and the input lag is a dream, which means basically not there and if, the calibrations are super easy to do, plus the ability to mod the lanes and backgrounds including adding music videos.

That being said, am I missing out not using Yarg? And if yes, in what exactly?

I like both CH and YARG for different things. CH is definitely a more relaxed engine to play on, especially when it comes to guitar. It is a very easy engine since you can spam away and as long as you hit the right fret at the right time it will register and not drop your combo no matter what frets you hit before that.

Default settings in YARG is a lot more like how Rock Band was. You don't have an infinite front-end and it has anti-ghost so you can't just spam away. This video explains it pretty good. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1MEIIYUHwA

But YARG also has options to disable anti-ghosting, turn on infinite front-end and relax the timing window to make it more like CH. And there is a circle theme if you prefer that over the rectangle notes. :D

But the biggest thing really is that it is not an abandoned game like CH. CH in its current state is very good, but there's definitely things that could've been improved. YARG is open source and has a lot of contributors adding and fixing stuff almost daily. Game is not perfect yet and it's missing some stuff like big rock endings and some other stuff, but it will be there eventually.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
The bullshit with the Playstation PC support thing is rather upsetting. I have no Xbox and I dont expect to buy one again, so I'd opt for the Playstation one here and just use it on PC too, but the stunt they pulled is messed up.
I think it's a Dinput vs XInput thing, but still wack they wouldn't just support DInput on PC too

Komarkaze

Oct 27, 2017
I have a Xbox One Fender Jaguar with a Xbox Series X. I take back what I previously said about the messed up input. I didn't realize I had to choose pro version of the instruments.

Gameplay feels almost like Rock Band. But I miss lots of notes. Either I can't get the calibration right, or there are input issues where you have to move frets ahead of time where you actually strum the note. It's a little odd in the current state.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2018
Stoked - I was able to grab a guitar this morning, I think/hope from Amazon - presumably in the June batch (the add to cart button switched to temporarily out of stock like a split second after I had added to my cart, but I was still able to go to my cart/check out seemingly without issue).

For a moment I was thinking of getting a second controller to act as a spare/to play with friends, but then realized since all of my closest friends except one (and he has a newborn) are now in different states, and I decided that it just wouldn't be worth the cost to use at most once or twice a year. I may kick myself if I anything happens to my controller and these eventually become super pricey down the line, though.

Ginger Hail

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So my Riffmaster arrived a bit earlier than expected. Got to try it out for a bit and so far it's been fun getting back into the swing of using a plastic guitar. More used to the clicky GH strum bar but I'll probably adjust soon. Found activating overdrive a bit inconsistent but that might've been because I was sitting tbh.

Also on PC it seems to get confused if you try to use it while charging. Guitar button prompts were showing up to navigate through the menus/lobbies but I didn't realize until later that Pro Guitar/Bass are separate options and they didn't show up for me. Once the songs started, the game was expecting a non-guitar controller and was asking me to switch lol.

OP
OP
Lukar

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I put together a FAQ regarding controller support over in the game's OT, I'll keep it updated to the best of my ability.

www.resetera.com

Fortnite Festival |OT| Start a Band, Rock the Omniverse Epic - OT

Q: What kinds of instrument controllers are currently supported? A: At this time, only guitar controllers are supported in Fortnite Festival, for use with Pro Lead and Pro Bass song charts. Q: Is support for drums, microphones, and keys coming in the future? A: Drum support is coming in a later...

If you have a Roll Limitless / RL Mini, you're most likely fine in regards to using a guitar in the game. A firmware update was released last night specifically for use with Festival on PlayStation, Xbox, and PC.

Caplin456

Apr 23, 2024
As things stand right now, is there any way to use a wireless wiitar and somehow emulate it to make the pro lead and pro bass options show up on Fortnite?

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
I put together a FAQ regarding controller support over in the game's OT, I'll keep it updated to the best of my ability.

www.resetera.com

Fortnite Festival |OT| Start a Band, Rock the Omniverse Epic - OT

Q: What kinds of instrument controllers are currently supported? A: At this time, only guitar controllers are supported in Fortnite Festival, for use with Pro Lead and Pro Bass song charts. Q: Is support for drums, microphones, and keys coming in the future? A: Drum support is coming in a later...

If you have a Roll Limitless / RL Mini, you're most likely fine in regards to using a guitar in the game. A firmware update was released last night specifically for use with Festival on PlayStation, Xbox, and PC.

Not sure if you know, but does the new firmware patch remove any functionality? i.e. if I bought it to use my MIDI drum kit with Rock Band 4 on PS4/5, will that still work after the firmware change, or do I have to pick drum functionality or Riffmaster functionality on PC and can't do both without reflashing?

EDIT: Actually, never mind, reading the Roll Limitless firmware makes it clear, you do need to reflash to change functionality, it's not an all-in-one thing. Hopefully they get native PC functionality working with the PS5 guitar soon, though I guess it's not like I use my drum kit much and reflashing isn't difficult if I did want to take it out for a spin again.

Remark

Oct 27, 2017

LAA

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
github.com

GitHub - InvoxiPlayGames/FestivalInstrumentMapper: Maps any existing Rock Band instruments as Xbox One instruments for Fortnite Festival.

Maps any existing Rock Band instruments as Xbox One instruments for Fortnite Festival. - InvoxiPlayGames/FestivalInstrumentMapper

Tool out to make any instrument that works on clone hero work on Fortnite festival on pc

Awesome work from the community once again.
Hoping it could be updated to make the PS5 Riffmaster work on fortnite, if they don't do it officially anyway, but awesome I can use my 360 guitars on it at least.

Sangral