• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 46958

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
So I went out with a friend on Tuesday to support her and her friend's fundraiser.

My friend and I were chatting like usual, when after two drinks, she was starting to be a little more outspoken if you will.

So she says to me that I have features that resemble the Who characters from Seuss' books (a bit funny to be honest). This was after she didn't want to tell me after I tried getting it out of her because I was both curious and wondering how mean-spirited this was going to become.

I shrugged it off initially. But it stood with me until today. And yeah, it's fucked up. And I'm offended.

I've never taken a jab at her looks. Ever. So if after a fee drinks she telling me this, is this an indication that she's actually an asshole?

I hit her up earlier and told her I felt bad after thinking about it. I was letting it rock as to sort out my feelings diplomatically.

But man, is this a sign she's toxic and I should distance myself from her?

I've never gotten that before in my life. I'm a good looking dude and really, I don't fit that comparison at all, so I really thought that was weird.

Idk, I'm seriously considering distancing myself from her as a friend after that. It was unnecessary, mean, and to me a sign she's toxic and generally mean-spirited.

Or am I being soft?

What does Era think?

Edit: check the avatar for a pic. Don't know how to post photos here.

Also, lmao, I kinda get what she was saying now LOL.

Last edited:

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
If I genuinely disagreed with the assessment I think I'd just laugh it off. Then again tone is crucial here - if a friend said it as a quick gag I wouldn't give it much thought, but if it was this built up thing and it came off as mean like you say, then yeah, maybe don't drink around that person (or cut if it upsets you enough). Toxic may be a bit of a stretch though.

Dec 31, 2017
You prodded her .

She said no to spare your feelings.

You insisted, and are now angry at her for hurting your feelings.

Come on man.

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
People say stupid things when they're drunk. How long have you known her?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Wait. She said she didn't want to say it, then you convinced her to say it because you were curious and now you're mad at her? Am I reading this right?

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
So you tell her you're offended after you made her tell you something she wasn't gonna because she knew it would offend you? Sounds reasonable.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
It sounds like she didn't want to say anything at first, but then you talked her into it.

If she's never said anything else bad to you before or after, then I don't think it was mean spirited.

Lord Fagan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You admit that you basically goaded her into it when she tried not to say something.

The real question isn't whether you should be offended. Even she knew you would be. The real question is whether you can be secure enough to understand that people have these thoughts and you're taking a risk prying those uncomfortable opinions out in the open.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like you're insecure, I'd focus on tackling that and understanding if your friend was meaning to be demeaning or just joking around as friends do. From your description I do not see any ill intent.

OP
OP

Deleted member 46958

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Wait. She said she didn't want to say it, then you convinced her to say it because you were curious and now you're mad at her? Am I reading this right?

No you have that right, my thought here was, "wait what? how do you say that and then not want to elaborate?"

As in why say it in the first place? It shouldn't even be suggested at all.

Deleted member 54469

Mar 4, 2019
I've never gotten that before in my life. I'm a good looking dude and really, I don't fit that comparison at all, so I really thought that was weird.

no lie i was with you until this line. this came off as egotistical as hell. you and your friends should be able to clown each other, yes even on your looks, without getting offended. if your relationship (wherever it stands) is too fragile that you can't, that's toxic.

honestly you come across as more toxic with the whole "how could she possibly think i'm not a fine looking dude? my looks have never been challenged." vibe you have going with this post

EdgeWilder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
you insisted she tell you and now your mad cause you dont agree? dont think it was that serious, and i think your being waay to sensitive about it.

no lie i was with you until this line. this came off as egotistical as hell. you and your friends should be able to clown each other, yes even on your looks, without getting offended. if your relationship (wherever it stands) is too fragile that you can't, that's toxic.

honestly you come across as more toxic with the whole "how could she possibly think i'm not a fine looking dude? my looks have never been challenged." vibe you have going with this post
also this. Wouldnt even want to be friends with someone so fragile. If anything cut her off so you can do her a favor.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
No you have that right, my thought here was, "wait what? how do you say that and then not want to elaborate?"

As in why say it in the first place? It shouldn't even be suggested at all.

When you're drunk, your inhibitions go away. She probably had a dumb thought, almost vocalized it, as drunk people so often do, but stopped herself because she knew it would offend you.

I know the phrase "drunk words are sober thoughts" exists, but sometimes when you're drunk you just have a really dumb idea and that's all it is.

I really don't think it's worth it to torpedo a friendship because of something like this.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
Oof. Always love showing up for a good bout of "stop being so sensitive/this is your fault" toxic masculinity advice.

Anyway, OP, whether she is toxic depends on a) whether this is a pattern, and b) whether she's willing to own up to it or just steamrolls though your feelings.

Mitch

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is this you OP?

maxresdefault.jpg

OP
OP

Deleted member 46958

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
When you're drunk, your inhibitions go away. She probably had a dumb thought, almost vocalized it, as drunk people so often do, but stopped herself because she knew it would offend you.

I know the phrase "drunk words are sober thoughts" exists, but sometimes when you're drunk you just have a really dumb idea and that's all it is.

I really don't think it's worth it to torpedo a friendship because of something like this.

Thanks. I just don't want to be in any toxic friendships. You make some good points.

HammerOfThor

Oct 26, 2017
why do we use the word "toxic" to describe a good old fashioned asshole nowadays? Toxic has this implication that she's an awful human being all around. Just sounds like a jerk. Or at the very least she thought she was being cute and she wasn't. Not sure if I'd call this incident "toxic". Especially if this is the first time.

You'll know a toxic person when you see one because they'll consistently be a shitty person and they'll project it onto everyone. Not just one-offs when their drunk.

Dec 2, 2017
So, you were fishing for compliments and now are offended because you didn't get one?

What your friend said isn't toxic and shouldn't bother you. I doubt she is your friend based on your looks alone.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Oof. Always love showing up for a good bout of "stop being so sensitive/this is your fault" toxic masculinity advice.

Anyway, OP, whether she is toxic depends on a) whether this is a pattern, and b) whether she's willing to own up to it or just steamrolls though your feelings.

But it is his fault. He tells you in the op he made her tell him when she stopped herself initially.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
stop being so sensitive/this is your fault
It's super their fault. If I force a friend to elaborate on a negative trait of mine that they tried to avoid to bot hurt my feelings, whatever happens next is kinda on me. It's not like OP was walking down the street and someone yelled "Yo, Cindy Lou!" That'd be different.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks. I just don't want to be in any toxic friendships. You make some good points.

Understandable. A toxic friend would not have tried to self-censor the way she did. I have had plenty of toxic friends, and those are the kinds of people who don't hesitate for a second before saying something dumb because consequences don't matter to them.

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017
Charmin soft rn tbh, you pried it out of her.

Laugh it off and you seem to have a high opinion of yourself. People disagree, in this case it's nbd from what you've provided alone

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
Just going to have to brush it off. I would.

If you are truly good looking, it won't matter what others say.

But this is coming from someone who teases and gets teased by friends. Woman or man.

Toxic, to me, is diet racists, racists, general assholes, and selfish people.

Deleted member 925

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And you're bragging you're a good looking dude and no one has ever said anything to you?

Come on man, you're being ridiculous.

Woffls

Nov 25, 2017
London
Dragging out the elaboration on an offhand comment from an inebriated friend is the toxic behaviour here. She deserves an apology.

Thunder11

Oct 27, 2017
No offense, but you seem pretty sensitive, which is okay, but just realize that you prodded her and yes being drunk might have caused her to just have a dumb thought.

OP
OP

Deleted member 46958

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I'm beautiful boys. Aint no shame in making this thread.

Check the avatar for a glimpse of the face.

Don't know how to put up images on this site.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
To be honest, I kind of agree with the assessment based on avatar but that's not to say you look ugly. It's just I can see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.