JMS

Jul 22, 2022
Running out of content and grinds already over here.. FULL RELEASE YOU CANT COME SOON ENOUGH.

I do wonder who the final boss of the city/above area is though, Cronos again? Should also be another boss there as well, can't wait.

The boss is such a absurd step up in terms of difficulty. I had close to 300 health and 3 death defiances... ended the fight with just 40 health lol. Though tbf it was my first time seeing his 2nd phase so I ate a lot of attacks I hadn't seen before.

were my thoughts too meeting it the first couple times but it honestly gets better, he reminds me more of a traditional souls boss almost.

saforia

Apr 19, 2019
UK
Got another win over chronos, this time with the axe.
Abused the hell out of the psychic whirlwind boon which lets you use your regular attack and special while using the omega attack. Spin to win!

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
Yeah idk very mixed on boss 3 and 4. Patterns are great, but both feel like their health pools are inflated beyond what is reasonable (this extends to boss 2 as well but not nearly as much), especially considering how just...stingy and shit a lot boons can be. I get that it's cool and thematically appropriate that boss 4 takes away your time slow but it just makes things feel bad. Feels like I need to grind out permanent upgrades in a way that I never really felt too too much with Hades 1.

donkey

Sumo Digital Dev
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Finally got past Chronos last night. Used the 2nd Sister Blade Aspect that has the daggers home into anything caught in your cast and crammed Blitz and a load of other Zeus/Hestia shenanigans into it for some melty good times.

e4s0wfc.jpg

Lmao did someone try to pause the game during the chronos fight? :D

I was like… "excuse me? 👀🤣"

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017
One thing that I kinda changes is the hyperfocus on buffing one single thing. I feel like most builds (and aspects) in Hades 1 lent themselves to just getting one super powerful attack and then just spamming it all the time. It's not always the case but most of the time it makes sense to just get one really good move that you can spam and deal massive damage that way. I don't know if its possible but it'd be cool if you were using all 3 (+3 Omegas) things later on. Sprint has been really good for that so far, with a lot of great boons just needing one or two to make sprint really relevant and useful, and obviously Cast having an innate stopping mechanic is core too even if it does 0 or little damage.

underFlorence

May 19, 2019
Germany
Finally got past Chronos last night. Used the 2nd Sister Blade Aspect that has the daggers home into anything caught in your cast and crammed Blitz and a load of other Zeus/Hestia shenanigans into it for some melty good times.

e4s0wfc.jpg

While we're posting builds, here's my first clear:

CtzHTK3.jpeg

With upgraded Aspect of Melinoe on the spear. I got a build where I always spent my magick as soon as possible to proc Spirit Surge, which makes lightning strike enemies if I have <=10 magick, and I also got the Hephaestus boon where damage made me restore magick, meaning that if I got damaged I could just shoot out all my omega spells ASAP for a burst of damage. Getting a ton of damage up from Chaos and Martial Art also helped a ton!

Hitch is such a good status condition for dealing with normal enemies, also! So nice for clearing out rooms and something I always tend to prioritize.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I just cannot beat the third boss. My damage output just isn't enough and I don't think there's really a good way to ensure that it is. None of the permanent upgrades seem to be increasing how much damage I do, and frankly nothing I've seen in a while has increased my survivability either. It just feels like I'm completely stuck.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
I just cannot beat the third boss. My damage output just isn't enough and I don't think there's really a good way to ensure that it is. None of the permanent upgrades seem to be increasing how much damage I do, and frankly nothing I've seen in a while has increased my survivability either. It just feels like I'm completely stuck.

It's a very stationary boss so your cast is extremely useful, especially if you can get a good boon for it (Apollo and Zeus come to mind).

But even if you can't get a great boon your normal cast does decent damage, especially if you upgrade your arcana card that increases damage when enemies are inside your casts.

Also boons (and arcana card) that increase your dash speed are very useful in that boss so you can quickly position yourself.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
It's a very stationary boss so your cast is extremely useful, especially if you can get a good boon for it (Apollo and Zeus come to mind).

But even if can't get a great boon your normal cast does decent damage, especially if you upgrade your arcana card that increases damage when enemies are inside your casts.

Also boons (and arcana card) that increase your dash speed are very useful in that boss so you can quickly position yourself.

Yeah, I was spamming my frost rain cast on him the whole fight. It was still taking too goddamn long. It's just not fun. They really need to tweak boss health, I feel like I'm fighting heat bosses when they take this long to die.

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
i just had 4 runs in a row where i got almost no boons. just the one at the start and then 98% ashes. even charon only had serene. this has to be a bug.
and even the very few boons i got, only had dash enhancements.

btw: fuck those smurf, football player looking idiots with their projectile attacks on the fields. not only is the projectile/bomb hard to read (at least on my screen), they can get you from off screen.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, I was spamming my frost rain cast on him the whole fight. It was still taking too goddamn long. It's just not fun. They really need to tweak boss health, I feel like I'm fighting heat bosses when they take this long to die.

I don't think frost does much damage iirc, it's more about the utility of freezing enemies.

If you can get the Apollo one, it does damage in the cast area for 2 seconds or so after it expires, and depending on the rarity/level you can do like 500+ damage in each cast.

The visual effects are amazing as well, not that it really matters but still.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
I don't like how aim assist interacts with aimed casts. It's so finicky how the slightest touch of the stick can switch it to the other side of the screen. It also breaks the max range limit, not sure if that's intentional.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
i just had 4 runs in a row where i got almost no boons. just the one at the start and then 98% ashes. even charon only had serene. this has to be a bug.
and even the very few boons i got, only had dash enhancements.

btw: fuck those smurf, football player looking idiots with their projectile attacks on the fields. not only is the projectile/bomb hard to read (at least on my screen), they can get you from off screen.

This happened to me last night and I was so annoyed. I managed to make it all the way to Scylla before dying because the axe is THAT good, but I was just like "why is this happening", lol.

I don't think frost does much damage iirc, it's more about the utility of freezing enemies.

If you can get the Apollo one, it does damage in the cast area for 2 seconds or so after it expires, and depending on the rarity/level you can do like 500+ damage in each cast.

The visual effects are amazing as well, not that it really matters but still.

I'll have to see Apollo's cast. The main reason I like Demeter's is because it's one of the only reliable ways to lock down the scumbag armored shriekers, especially if you have a melee weapon. They're too powerful otherwise - they just MELT you.

ozumas

Born to be Wise and Corrupted by Vengeance
Dec 15, 2020
When I am playing with daggers, spear or Axe I am really enjoy every run but everytime I try the skull or flame weapons I just don't want to play the game anymore lol, is like you have not control whatsover of you damage and I don't find the fun in those weapons.

Haxik

Oct 27, 2017
Yesterday I killed Cronos at 2:30 in the morning and also finished the surface part.

It is repeating what others and myself have already said but it is an extraordinary roguelite, which adds interesting layers with respect to the first but that, for the moment, is a bit weighed down by boss fights that end up being a slog (exaggeratedly large life pools + multiple phases of invulnerability or, directly, disappear from the map to throw ads) and by how uncomfortably grindy it feels (need for countless materials and, above all, great limitations when it comes to getting them in the form of the limitation of carrying only one tool and a fairly low rate of appearance).

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
I try the skull or flame weapons I just don't want to play the game anymore lol, is like you have not control whatsover of you damage and I don't find the fun in those weapons.

The skull special being a free dash is pretty nuts (I just wish the 'auto-pickup range for the spent shells was boosted a little), and the omega special is also really cool with hammer upgrades, but yeah, I don't think I like it much, at least with the baseline aspect - unless you're at shotgun/melee range where you can just keep spamming shells and insta-picking them up, the 'travel time' of the skulls and the auto-aim wonkiness makes aiming it kind of annoying.

They DO bounce (I think I saw a hammer boon that makes a delayed/bouncing shell increase damage significantly IF it hits), but the bounce isn't always predictable either

It feels like combining the worse-feeling part of the exagriff with having to recover Zag's casts, only the 'delay-before-return' timer seems way longer as a baseline.

At least with the bow/shield throw/spear throw it was basically instant, as well as normal exagriff rounds.

Also, the 'aspect power-up' feels....odd, in that giving 5-25 more power per spent shell (so up to 50 power total) feels like it would be more useful with a bigger magazine - meanwhile, the daggers are getting 50% multiplier for backstab damage.

Meanwhile, the torch is definitely a victim of the game's 'sticky' auto-aim causing problems, and even beyond that, it just feels....weird, to me.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Almost had a perma hex slow-down run going, had to be *really* good on the mana management to do it. If I had taken the demeter mana regen it would have been stupid easy to maintain. That said chronos still moves pretty damn fast with the 95% slow.

Haxik

Oct 27, 2017
When I am playing with daggers, spear or Axe I am really enjoy every run but everytime I try the skull or flame weapons I just don't want to play the game anymore lol, is like you have not control whatsover of you damage and I don't find the fun in those weapons.

I've really enjoyed several combos with the skull. The upgrades (the ones for the hammer) that give you more charges, and especially the one that makes them explode in an area upon pickup, are a real delight. Add in a primary boon for increased area or more damage to nearby enemies, and it's the most effective build I've played. You throw the skulls at an enemy or an area, and with the special (I find it the most useful Y attack of any weapon), you launch yourself towards them to generate multiple explosions upon pickup.
And, additionally, you can have that special upgraded to deal even more damage during the dash.
It's a festival of explosions and particles.

It's one of the things I love about the game. Not only does each weapon have enough depth to dedicate the entire game to just one, but they change enough with upgrades to provide super different yet equally enjoyable experiences. The only one where I haven't found that sweet spot yet is with the magic torches.

Feenix

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2017
I am sad to say I got to Chronos yesterday. (Didn't beat). How much more gameplay is there? It seems short. I haven't done the surface yet.

Mango Polo

Nov 2, 2017
The torches are basically spin to win: spam special and keep a bit of distance and you have enough DPS for every boss. Demeter on special is great for adding some control, since the special's projectiles don't stagger enemies. Effective but not particularly fun.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
I'll have to see Apollo's cast. The main reason I like Demeter's is because it's one of the only reliable ways to lock down the scumbag armored shriekers, especially if you have a melee weapon. They're too powerful otherwise - they just MELT you.
You can stop them with any cast and out-range them with any weapon.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
The problem is that some weapons/casts are too weak to kill them - or even break their armor - before the cast wears off and they steamroll you with 50 hits.
Cast has no cooldown so you can rinse and repeat. It's not fast or pretty, but any build can kill them safely.

Edit: That said, I'm a huge fan of casts that deal damage. Zeus and Hephaestus maybe the most.

Last edited:

ozumas

Born to be Wise and Corrupted by Vengeance
Dec 15, 2020
I've really enjoyed several combos with the skull. The upgrades (the ones for the hammer) that give you more charges, and especially the one that makes them explode in an area upon pickup, are a real delight. Add in a primary boon for increased area or more damage to nearby enemies, and it's the most effective build I've played. You throw the skulls at an enemy or an area, and with the special (I find it the most useful Y attack of any weapon), you launch yourself towards them to generate multiple explosions upon pickup.
And, additionally, you can have that special upgraded to deal even more damage during the dash.
It's a festival of explosions and particles.

It's one of the things I love about the game. Not only does each weapon have enough depth to dedicate the entire game to just one, but they change enough with upgrades to provide super different yet equally enjoyable experiences. The only one where I haven't found that sweet spot yet is with the magic torches.
I've run that build, and is okaish but is not like it isn't strong, for me feels like I didn't have control of my character of what was happening in the fight. I tried charging all 5 skulls and then dash towards and sometimes it doesn't proc all skulls or if you do charged special you have to time it well for the skull to explode at the same time and is many things happening in the screen. That and having to see where your skull are in case you haven't picked them up.

Maybe I change my mind in the future but it feels like too much investment for me to enjoy as much as the Axe, daggers or spear

The skull special being a free dash is pretty nuts (I just wish the 'auto-pickup range for the spent shells was boosted a little), and the omega special is also really cool with hammer upgrades, but yeah, I don't think I like it much, at least with the baseline aspect - unless you're at shotgun/melee range where you can just keep spamming shells and insta-picking them up, the 'travel time' of the skulls and the auto-aim wonkiness makes aiming it kind of annoying.

They DO bounce (I think I saw a hammer boon that makes a delayed/bouncing shell increase damage significantly IF it hits), but the bounce isn't always predictable either

It feels like combining the worse-feeling part of the exagriff with having to recover Zag's casts, only the 'delay-before-return' timer seems way longer as a baseline.

At least with the bow/shield throw/spear throw it was basically instant, as well as normal exagriff rounds.

Also, the 'aspect power-up' feels....odd, in that giving 5-25 more power per spent shell (so up to 50 power total) feels like it would be more useful with a bigger magazine - meanwhile, the daggers are getting 50% multiplier for backstab damage.

Meanwhile, the torch is definitely a victim of the game's 'sticky' auto-aim causing problems, and even beyond that, it just feels....weird, to me.

Also with daggers I am constantly omega attack so I have so much control over my character and enemies that I really enjoy that play style. I tried the hammer upgrade that remove your omega attack and give you permanent combos but I feel like daggers without omega attack are thrash becausa base damage in this game is low and you lose control not being able to slow time. Also backstabing for +500 damage (500 being base with the hammer upgrade) is just too good.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Is there any way at all to dodge Hecate's stupid sheep beam. Or am I doomed to mash dodge until Melinoe becomes herself again

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
Killed chronos after 20 hours. I had an insanely OP cast build with zeus boons it was piss easy lol. Now more shit unlocked my god this is getting overwhelming

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
I made it past him with Zeus and Aphrodite's duo boon that automatically triggers blitz at double damage if you sprint into the enemy. I was just constantly applying blitz with a basic attack and sprinting through to deal 300 damage each time. Helps that I also had a high dodge chance from the character encounter in zone 3 + an Aphrodite infusion boon. But yeah, even then it still took quite a while to whittle him down. Then I died in the room before Chronos lol.

As in the first game, it seems by far the best thing you can do for survivability is use the death defiance arcana along with Skelly's keepsake.

Pennybags

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly that makes it worse in some ways since
You need to beat him at least 3 times to use that recipe since it requires 3 of his drops

But I expect them to patch in a more accessible way to do it

I saw a reasonable solution where for every fight after the initial one it triggers a dialogue sequence instead. That could be neat.

OP
OP
Derbel McDillet

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Nov 23, 2022
Saw some of the weapon unlocks and holy shit the

scythe

looks awesome.

Wasn't able to get it done last night, but I can prioritize increasing my damage output via that double curse arcana. I got it to 50% extra damage. I'll keep trying and then by default I'll be able to get at least two 2 death defiances by then, so today should be the day it gets done.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Saw some of the weapon unlocks and holy shit the

scythe

looks awesome.

Wasn't able to get it done last night, but I can prioritize increasing my damage output via that double curse arcana. I got it to 50% extra damage. I'll keep trying and then by default I'll be able to get at least two 2 death defiances by then, so today should be the day it gets done.

I thought there were only 5 weapons in the game atm, is that a aspect of a existing weapon?

PCfromNYC

Oct 25, 2017
In both the original and here, it amazes me how much the hammer elevates the weapons. Using the hammer to upgrade the blade's special so that the blades are fired in one line and another to have them rebound to you is amazing. If only I had them cast scorch as well, I probably would've finished Chronos off.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
lol is it not possible to beat Chronos on your first attempt? I got to his second phase and his very first attack hit me for 497 damage.

Feenix

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2017
In both the original and here, it amazes me how much the hammer elevates the weapons. Using the hammer to upgrade the blade's special so that the blades are fired in one line and another to have them rebound to you is amazing. If only I had them cast scorch as well, I probably would've finished Chronos off.
Hook Knife on the Sister Blades is my "get far" juice.

Especially when you load up buffs on special attack.

I literally do not press regular attack even once.

Tsumami

Feb 3, 2022
lol is it not possible to beat Chronos on your first attempt? I got to his second phase and his very first attack hit me for 497 damage.
My first attempt at chronos I had such a good build I almost won first try, so I don't think you're forced to lose against him. His moves in phase 2 are like mmo boss attacks, you have to get into specific zones to avoid attacks. The zone must have spawned a little off screen so you might not have noticed it.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
I already know hecate's extreme measures finna be nuts

I'm expecting charon levels of oh fuckfuckfuck bullet hell.

KRT

Aug 7, 2020
If only getting that boon wasnt so random. Just recently I had a run where the hammer wouldnt show up until shortly before the 3rd boss. All choices were shit and wouldnt work with my build at that point. I feel like it should be guaranteed in the first zone as its kind of build defining and I like to build my run around the specific boons I get off of it.

Finally cleared for the first time. The run took 19min so not too bad I guess?

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
I really wanna like the grenades but damn that small pickup radius feels brutal sometimes lol

That special is damn good tho tho, got a boon for huge close up damage and I rolled it like a shotgun up til chronos

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Won my run after completing my first Surface run on my first time. Well what you could do of the Surface run.
XNLOJo2.png

JMS

Jul 22, 2022
You also can't pause the game while fighting him, which is hilarious but also extremely mean of the devs and I expect it to be patched out in some form before launch.
I'm honestly not sure they will patch that out because one of the later rewards you can unlock from the cauldron with the item he drops is... being able to pause against him, lol.

I thought there were only 5 weapons in the game atm, is that a aspect of a existing weapon?

yeah , the ----axe.----