PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Hook Knife on the Sister Blades is my "get far" juice.

Especially when you load up buffs on special attack.

I literally do not press regular attack even once.

I absolutely melted through Chronos' first phase with a combination of the boomerang blade special hammer on the daggers and Demeter's special boon. Combined that with the "whenever you take damage, restore 70 magic" and Phase Shift and I was doing pretty well until he literally instakilled me before I could move during his second phase. :|

kmadison

Feb 8, 2024
I absolutely melted through Chronos' first phase with a combination of the boomerang blade special hammer on the daggers and Demeter's special boon. Combined that with the "whenever you take damage, restore 70 magic" and Phase Shift and I was doing pretty well until he literally instakilled me before I could move during his second phase. :|
This happened to me the first time I got to 2nd phase and it seemed scripted almost. And then the next time, I got a lucky situation where I avoided the mechanic not in the usual way and then when I went back the next 4 times I had no idea what was happening and had to look up how the one shot attack worked.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
This happened to me the first time I got to 2nd phase and it seemed scripted almost. And then the next time, I got a lucky situation where I avoided the mechanic not in the usual way and then when I went back the next 4 times I had no idea what was happening and had to look up how the one shot attack worked.

The fact that it happens so quickly right after the phase begins feels like a weird prank. I hope they tweak that considerably. A lot of the scripted stuff in the boss fights is honestly really frustrating, from the sheep beam to the constant invincibility phases, etc. It just feels like they're all designed to drag fights out overly long.

kmadison

Feb 8, 2024
The fact that it happens so quickly right after the phase begins feels like a weird prank. I hope they tweak that considerably. A lot of the scripted stuff in the boss fights is honestly really frustrating, from the sheep beam to the constant invincibility phases, etc. It just feels like they're all designed to drag fights out overly long.
When you get the pact of punishment 2.0, you can see they expect the exact same time through stages as the first game.

Did anyone in the thread play the first game in early access and care to share what was added to the final release? Do we expect smaller changes like typical ea's before the 1.0 release or everything all at once?

Beardlini

Oct 28, 2017
Love the game so much. Hope they end up adding mroe than 1 final area. The second path feels less impressive than the first.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
It's really rough the first time for sure. After a spell, it becomes fine and then grew on me.

Yeah, I appreciate the fact they're experimenting with the structure of the later biomes, especially compared to the Temple of Styx. I'm not sure they've fully figured it out YET but I can see where they're going with them.

The surface biomes are definitely missing something, though. I'm not sure what it is.

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
Yeah, I appreciate the fact they're experimenting with the structure of the later biomes, especially compared to the Temple of Styx. I'm not sure they've fully figured it out YET but I can see where they're going with them.

The surface biomes are definitely missing something, though. I'm not sure what it is.
Well the second one in the surface is kind of playing extra duty to fit as the current "ending", and there are clearly meant to be more that aren't in there yet. I don't think they'd feel like they were missing anything if they were 2 out of 4 instead of 2 out of 2. This is where the game feels most obviously unfinished (which is exactly how it advertises itself, so that's fine)

The "hard to navigate" biomes both have incantations that make it easier, so they end up fine.

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
The 3rd boss is the easiest boss in either Hades game I think. It telegraphs every move by a mile. If you have a cyclone or freeze then it's even worse, it's completely negated by these. It needs some work. I only lost my very first time.

Second boss I had trouble with for a while but I've now yet to lose after some power ups and I think more importantly realizing the proper strats on prioritizing them and also using my cast more.

The final bosses of both routes I've still only beaten once each lol. I never lose anywhere else at this point...

OP
OP
Derbel McDillet

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Nov 23, 2022
Accidentally in the process of developing the oddest cast build, this thing currently does scorch damage, cyclone damage and lightning and I can cast it from a distance which automatically snaps to nearby enemies. I was just trying to do my standard scorch cast, freeze attack.

I need the Apollo boon that increases it's size and then the Aphrodite boon that sucks enemies in.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Made it to Chronos a second time. Unfortunately, a Hera build is pretty worthless against him, but I tried.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
I thought "unpicked boons get deleted" was going to be free oath level, but turns out you just run out of boons somewhere around the 5th pick.

chipperrip

Jan 29, 2019
Check out this damage dealt breakdown! Perfectly balanced.

This was one of those runs that started out dogshit, then out of nowhere a synergy hits and I start obliterating things (Zeus all damage hits at least 30, Artemis arrow on attack/special, epic Zeus Blitz, 50% attack speed hammer, attack range + 50% damage hammer, Hephaestus cast)

Blitz procs can sometimes feel iffy, but with the artemis arrows coming in late, and the anvil cast repeating constantly, the blitz procs were hitting every other attack or so.

balanced.jpg

OP
OP
Derbel McDillet

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Nov 23, 2022
Okay, this could be the moment of truth for me. I'm solely reliant on my cast and nothing else. The last second boons were of no help at all. My health is 280. I got two death defiances and the tooth. And I've never seen the second phase. I'm not counting on it to happen, but wish me luck I guess.

GulfCoastZilla

Shinra Employee
Banned
Sep 13, 2022
I just can't wrap my head around this one. I think it's because I don't enjoy the circular trap mechanic
I feel like that just traps me in a position where I get beat down easily.

Feel like it's totally different combat from hades 1

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
You can actually block the sheep thing; it's not an autohit.

You can dodge to put your familiar between it and you and it'll tank the projectile for you.

OP
OP
Derbel McDillet

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Nov 23, 2022
Okay ... that went better than I thought it would, but about those

999 attacks. Get in the tiny circle in t minus 4 seconds. Sometimes it seems doable because of my sprint, but other times I could even see where I was supposed to go because of other things. Got him down to about half health on phase 2. Phase 1 was pretty easy from a distance so I'm gonna lean harder into that cast thing.

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
Is there any story content left after clearing both routes once? I've put 20ish hours in and I'm still getting new dialogue, but I'm guessing that's it for any new beats.

The surface run is fun enough but it's definitely the weaker of the two imo. I'm assuming it has more content coming for the existing environments (on top of the rest of the route ofc).

OP
OP
Derbel McDillet

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Nov 23, 2022
Goddammit. I have to get this done tonight. I had all weekend. Once work start up again, I'm gonna lose my focus and go back to doing one run a day with no momentum. I got ONE more in me tonight.

I unironically miss 2020. Lost a bunch, went to sleep, at 3am went "fuck that" and tried again and got it done on my 27th try, slept in like a baby.

Just older and too busy now and super behind at work.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
the umbral flames are so much worse than all the other weapons

like so much worse that I think they need a full rework, but idk if they want to go that far

the combat loop for them (even with the aspects) just does not feel good or intuitive at all

JMS

Jul 22, 2022

like so much worse that I think they need a full rework, but idk if they want to go that far

the combat loop for them (even with the aspects) just does not feel good or intuitive at all
Fully agreed, I'm doing those extra challenge runs and while most are fun and challenging all the umbral flames are one are just near impossible/annoyance.. it barely seems to do damage/upkeep DPS, slow main cast etc. Not a fan of the skulls either, other weapons are all great.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Fully agreed, I'm doing those extra challenge runs and while most are fun and challenging all the umbral flames are one are just near impossible/annoyance.. it barely seems to do damage/upkeep DPS, slow main cast etc. Not a fan of the skulls either, other weapons are all great.

Skulls have a learning curve but I actually do like them quite a bit. Unlike the flames they hit hard and the loop of throwing and retrieving with the special feels good once you get it down.

The_Strokes

Oct 25, 2017
México
Kinda sucks they "nerfed" Artemis. I was so excited when you first meet her in H2 that my brain forgot the implications. I miss her broken builds so much

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017

Someone in this thread mentioned you can keep your charged attack after dodging (you can't let go of the attack button though). Knowing that I'll probably do another run with them.

My biggest issue was constantly losing my charged attack after dodging since it takes a while to activate.

Skulls clicked immediately with me, probably my favorite weapon after the staff.

Skulls have a learning curve but I actually do like them quite a bit. Unlike the flames they hit hard and the loop of throwing and retrieving with the special feels good once you get it down.

Yup. It's also great that you are invulnerable while using the charged special, similar to the shield in the first game.

For me it's probably the best weapon to deal with groups of enemies, and it feels a bit overtuned. Like those waves that fire sideways when you use your special, I would assume that was something you could get with the hammer upgrade and not being on by default.

GravaGravity

Oct 27, 2017

Lacking fun and feel I agree with but I think they are pretty just just for letting you move a lot and dodge whenever while attacking, plus you can spam the specials to keep damage lingering on the screen for a long time. I got my first no revives completion with them though so I'm probably bias

WizdogC

Oct 27, 2017
I put about 50hrs into Hades 1.0 on Switch at release and around 42 hours into the early access for Hades 2. Absolutely loved the game so much. I think I said it like 3 times prior that I was done until the next main update but then would proceed to just boot up the game and do a bunch of runs and was surprised to keep seeing new dialogue and character interactions, not to mention new weapon upgrades and other mechanics.

But I think now I can give it a rest, for now, cause I got other games to get to that I've been neglecting lololol

WackoWambo

Jan 11, 2018
i havent read most the thread, mainly want to know if the game is complete enough to enjoy or if i should just hold off? Thanks

OP
OP
Derbel McDillet

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Nov 23, 2022
I wonder how they're going to get
Theseus
in this game. I know they are at some point, it's just when and where.

WizdogC

Oct 27, 2017
i havent read most the thread, mainly want to know if the game is complete enough to enjoy or if i should just hold off? Thanks
TLDR: It has almost twice the content of the original Hades' 1.0 version.

Mechanically it's pretty complete. Your mileage will vary on the extent to which you feel it requires balancing adjustments. And more weapons and zones are still to be added.

Story-wise it's def incomplete as it's missing an ending, and the fact it has missing zones also means the story isn't complete. But in my mind I got a lot of my gameplay itch satisfied with this early access, and when the next zones and eventually the 1.0 release comes around I'll pop in to complete and enjoy the story.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Lacking fun and feel I agree with but I think they are pretty just just for letting you move a lot and dodge whenever while attacking, plus you can spam the specials to keep damage lingering on the screen for a long time. I got my first no revives completion with them though so I'm probably bias

I agree that it is possible to do well with them, but even when I'm objectively doing well it still feels bad just because the loop is so awkward.

kmadison

Feb 8, 2024
TLDR: It has almost twice the content of the original Hades' 1.0 version.

Mechanically it's pretty complete. Your mileage will vary on the extent to which you feel it requires balancing adjustments. And more weapons and zones are still to be added.

Story-wise it's def incomplete as it's missing an ending, and the fact it has missing zones also means the story isn't complete. But in my mind I got a lot of my gameplay itch satisfied with this early access, and when the next zones and eventually the 1.0 release comes around I'll pop in to complete and enjoy the story.
This is a good summary and I'll add that while the story isn't complete, its very very far along. There is not a story conclusion right now, and there'll probably be 3-6 more of the story segments (like where Zagreus goes to rest in the first game) added. But the amount of dialogue and character interactions right now is really high, maybe close to %90 there.

NeonBorealis

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Jan 10, 2018
Finally got CHronos. It was a run that didn't promise much in the beginning. A chaos boon assured I got nothing but common boons until late Oceanus, but I somehow managed to push through.

Since I loved Dyonisus in the original, it's no surprise that I gravitate towards Hestia's boons in this game.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
I wonder how they're going to get
Theseus
in this game. I know they are at some point, it's just when and where.
I really hope Theseus is actually supe cordial to melinoe, confirming he was just deep into kaydabe in Hades 1 and he asks Melinoe to relay a message to Zagreus - "Tell Zagreus not to work himself into a shoot"

Beardlini

Oct 28, 2017
This is a good summary and I'll add that while the story isn't complete, its very very far along. There is not a story conclusion right now, and there'll probably be 3-6 more of the story segments (like where Zagreus goes to rest in the first game) added. But the amount of dialogue and character interactions right now is really high, maybe close to %90 there.

I checked out the patches for Hades 1 because I was bored, and they added a ton of dialogue each patch. Over 1k lines each patch. Obivously Hades 2i s further along but I would expect minimum 3-4 meaty patches adding in a notable amount of story/dialogue. All that to say I think 90% is way too high.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely insane run with the *Fire Sticks*. Multiple attack speed and weapon booster boons, heroic water bubbles boon so I'm never running out of mana, Selene 95% slow time down with 20% critical chance while it's active, Selene Hex with the mana spam legit meant it was always off cooldown

kmadison

Feb 8, 2024
I checked out the patches for Hades 1 because I was bored, and they added a ton of dialogue each patch. Over 1k lines each patch. Obivously Hades 2i s further along but I would expect minimum 3-4 meaty patches adding in a notable amount of story/dialogue. All that to say I think 90% is way too high.
haha, I will check out those patch notes now... here's hoping I'm way too high.

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Got his ass!
With the skulls of all weapons. Hes miserable if you arent doing 1k damage regularly but the 2nd phase isnt nearly as scary as it seems.
image.png

underFlorence

May 19, 2019
Germany
I just can't wrap my head around this one. I think it's because I don't enjoy the circular trap mechanic
I feel like that just traps me in a position where I get beat down easily.

Feel like it's totally different combat from hades 1
The trick is that you often time don't necessarily want to be inside the Cast after you use it. For some builds you do, but what I like doing is weaving in, getting some hits in, firing off my Omega cast for damage over time, then peacing back out. It freezing enemies in place by default also makes for great crowd control and lets you be more mobile, in my experience. If you get one of the boons that lets you fire your cast, it feels like you're really off to the races.

I think the big trick here is that to be successful you really need to use the whole buffalo, so to speak. It probably wasn't a coincidence that my winning run was spent around repeatedly using up all my Magick as fast as I could - you really need to be using the most of all your resources, so use your omega attacks and fire off casts whenever you have the chance.