eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Finally I can talk about this :)

First had the privilege of playing and working on it a bit over 2 years ago during my time at Valve. It was honestly already a crazy amazing experience back then, Valve has poured so much love, care, and though into the next story in the Half-Life universe. I can't even imagine how much they've polished it these last two years.

If the direction is still the same as it was some time ago, there's another huge announcement tied to this that'll likely happen simultaneously or soon after, which nobody has heard or mentioned anything of. That could mean it was scrapped or is under particularly tight wraps. I'm hoping for the latter :)

Knowing Valve they caught wind of the leaks and decided to drop it themselves so as to cut the press cycle short from all the absurd speculation.
I guess Source 2 VR engine being made Free to Use. Considering some of the snippets in teh leaked talk segment mentioned how hard it was to make the engine work perfectly in VR.

Edit: oh you said something else.

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
I'm calling it now. Orange Box 2 releasing on 12/25/19 for $60.

Contents include:

- Half-Life Alyx (VR)
- Half-Life 3
- Left 4 Dead 3
- Team Fortress 3
- Portal 3

Watch as the world burns.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Very excited to finally go back to the world of Half Life. Since I've played through HL2 and Ep1 in VR, and I've been playing HL1 in VR, this seems extremely fitting.

But now, I sleep.

TheDutchSlayer

Did you find it? Cuez I didn't!
Oct 26, 2017
The Hauge, The Netherlands
There are so many people here surprised by this?
So many people truly had no idea?

this has been a thing for over 2 years now.
It has been a thing of when not if.

imagine the show when everyone finds out you can ONLY play this in VR no "2D" version.
so pretty limited who can afford to play this.

Oct 26, 2017
Baby steps. Better to get back into it by making a side story rather than the one mythical game people have been clamouring for. Good or bad, but it will help frame the next games a lot better.
HL3 could've never lived up to the legend that was built around it.

Even as someone who is rather indifferent to VR, it's more Half Life. In 2019. By Valve... I am optimistic.

Fishsnot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Japan
There are so many people here surprised by this?
So many people truly had no idea?

this has been a thing for over 2 years now.
It has been a thing of when not if.

imagine the show when everyone finds out you can ONLY play this in VR no "2D" version.
so pretty limited who can afford to play this.
So the answer would be for affordable VR, no?
$199 start point?
$250 game pack in.
Book it.
Shake the whole industry.

TheDutchSlayer

Did you find it? Cuez I didn't!
Oct 26, 2017
The Hauge, The Netherlands
Vavle announcing something HL related... world is going nuts.
EJtZbfgXYAAk8mM

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So the answer would be for affordable VR, no?
$199 start point?
$250 game pack in.
Book it.
Shake the whole industry.

you can already buy VR headsets for less than $199. You can buy an HP Windows VR headset right now brand new on ebay for $180. If you're willing to buy a used VR headset on ebay, you can find them for like $100.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Maybe more interesting is this might be our first look at next gen visuals, we haven't see a AAA PC exclusive that pushes visuals in a while, unless Valve is still using source engine lmao.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Is a AAA HL game or just small VR one?

From couple years back
Newell and team did later confirm that these were not smaller experiments, but intended to be new "full games", as opposed to the vignette-style demonstrations shown in Valve's The Lab. Valve expects to sell these new games, and is using both Unity and its own Source 2 engine to develop them.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
I'm excited for it.

I think I'm more curious to see if Valve still has what it takes to make a single-player game I instantly fall in love with. It's been a long time.