Birbos

Alt Account
Banned
May 15, 2020
At ~1/3 of Half Life 2's # of user reviews, Half Life Alyx is beating it by 1% (98% positivity).

Randdalf

Oct 28, 2017
It is so cool being able to look through all the map source files in Hammer. It's also pretty amazing (to me) that they're still using the old logic_relay system for driving large amounts of map behaviour. What ain't broke and all that... I think there is a scripting system they use as well, but I haven't found any instances of it yet.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
I really fell off the train with that game... I played maybe two third in a few days and then did like 1 chapter in two months and at this point I'm kinda not that interested in going back to it other than to force myself to finish it since I've already played most of it and it's such a "big" game... 🤷‍♂️

dsk1210

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh UK
I really fell off the train with that game... I played maybe two third in a few days and then did like 1 chapter in two months and at this point I'm kinda not that interested in going back to it other than to force myself to finish it since I've already played most of it and it's such a "big" game... 🤷‍♂️
Finish it man. It's well worth it.

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
I bought the game this weekend and I'm really enjoying it.

It actually forced me to optimize my set up. I measured my pupil distance to make sure that was right. I also squared out my room set up for exactly 16ft between light towers. I'm on the OG HTC Vive and it still works really well.

My one complaint so far is a lack of storage. I guess they want healing items to be hard to stock up on as well as grenades. For a little while I decided to carry a small waste bin around with 4 grenades and a syringe in it.

I wish the healing stations all had the grubs or whatever in them.

tr1b0re

Oct 17, 2018
Trinidad and Tobago
I bought the game this weekend and I'm really enjoying it.

It actually forced me to optimize my set up. I measured my pupil distance to make sure that was right. I also squared out my room set up for exactly 16ft between light towers. I'm on the OG HTC Vive and it still works really well.

My one complaint so far is a lack of storage. I guess they want healing items to be hard to stock up on as well as grenades. For a little while I decided to carry a small waste bin around with 4 grenades and a syringe in it.

I wish the healing stations all had the grubs or whatever in them.
Well I mean, that's to encourage you to use grenades and whatnot more often

Plus the grubs are never too far from the healing stations, its always somewhere nearby

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
Well I mean, that's to encourage you to use grenades and whatnot more often

Plus the grubs are never too far from the healing stations, its always somewhere nearby

Yeah I got that eventually. It was just that I opened a locker with 5 grenades in it and no one to kill, so put them in a trash can and took them with me

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
modernproblemsrequiremodernsolutions.jpg

It really is the little things that are the most fun in the game. Like chucking grenades over a fence. I dropped a grenade in the toilet, can't flush...

This will be the third VR game I have played through. The first two being Super Hot VR and Arizona Sunshine. I really wish RE7 had VR on the PC. I will want some more high quality content after this.

tr1b0re

Oct 17, 2018
Trinidad and Tobago
It really is the little things that are the most fun in the game. Like chucking grenades over a fence. I dropped a grenade in the toilet, can't flush...

This will be the third VR game I have played through. The first two being Super Hot VR and Arizona Sunshine. I really wish RE7 had VR on the PC. I will want some more high quality content after this.
After having played HL:Alyx would you say Arizona Sunshine is worth it? Its one of the more popular VR games that I haven't tried yet

chairhome

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando
Finally got this after upgrading my CPU.
Game seems a bit easy right now, but i guess its cause i'm in the beginning. Or maybe I should have increased the difficulty?

Running pretty smoothly on my Ryzen 5 3600 and 1060 at medium settings.

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
After having played HL:Alyx would you say Arizona Sunshine is worth it? Its one of the more popular VR games that I haven't tried yet
No. Granted I haven't played too much stuff in VR, but it's far and away the worst thing I've played in it. I'm kind of baffled at why it was received so positively, even though it was an early VR title I still see people jumping in years later and praising it. I think people were really just craving a full FPS campaign in VR that isn't over after 2-3 hours or designed like a shooting gallery, which was/is surprisingly rare.

tr1b0re

Oct 17, 2018
Trinidad and Tobago
Finally got this after upgrading my CPU.
Game seems a bit easy right now, but i guess its cause i'm in the beginning. Or maybe I should have increased the difficulty?

Running pretty smoothly on my Ryzen 5 3600 and 1060 at medium settings.
The first few hours are basically a tutorial, get past it and the game gets a little harder, plus you can change the difficulty in the settings, but afaik it only makes the enemies take more shots to die, and you take less

If it's super cheap maybe.
No. Granted I haven't played too much stuff in VR, but it's far and away the worst thing I've played in it. I'm kind of baffled at why it was received so positively, even though it was an early VR title I still see people jumping in years later and praising it. I think people were really just craving a full FPS campaign in VR that isn't over after 2-3 hours or designed like a shooting gallery, which was/is surprisingly rare.
Hmm, noted

I'll look up more about it and keep an eye out for a sale

VirtuaModel

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
New update! 780 MB for me.

The most important thing? Bottles have liquid now!

y5NHl6h.gif

Game Features
  • Added subtitles for: Brazilian, Czech, Hungarian, Italian, Polish, Portuguese, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
  • Bottles now appear to have liquid inside them that sloshes around as you shake them.
  • UI appears quicker when returning to Main Menu
  • Improvements to addon management UI

Game Fixes
  • Added checks for users loading a savegame with missing addons (eg. unsubscribed or deleted)
  • Added error message if a game fails to load due to a missing map requested by an addon
  • Various crash fixes
  • Fixed bug where exiting the game by closing SteamVR could generate bad save files

Workshop Features
  • Enabled the Postprocessing Editor (Documentation)
  • Added "Custom Character" example addon (Documentation)
  • Added example maps for:
    • Blind Zombie (a.k.a. Jeff)
    • Hacking and Toner Puzzles
    • Parked Vehicles and other Interactive Prefabs
    • Visibility System (Documentation)
    • Postprocessing Volumes (Documentation)
  • Added core functionality required for Lua scripting and added some Alyx-specific script bindings for querying VR controller input and creating nav mesh paths from entity scripts
  • Enabled live bone constraints in SFM, which can be baked/enabled as procedural bones, like cloth

Workshop Fixes
  • Fixed case where some explicitly specified meshes became hulls. (eg. func_shatterglass will now build in a map without having to enable legacy collision mesh.)
  • Added some meshes that were missing from parked vehicle prefabs.
  • Made SFM UI less Dota-specific in a few places
  • Fixed missing map models (mostly combine stations) in SFM
  • Fixed Import Sequence in SFM to work correctly on sequences with animated root orientation

Deleted member 2840

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

y5NHl6h.gif

Game Features
  • Added subtitles for: Brazilian, Czech, Hungarian, Italian, Polish, Portuguese, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
  • Bottles now appear to have liquid inside them that sloshes around as you shake them.

Game Fixes
  • Added checks for users loading a savegame with missing addons (eg. unsubscribed or deleted)
  • Added error message if a game fails to load due to a missing map requested by an addon
  • Various crash fixes
  • Fixed bug where exiting the game by closing SteamVR could generate bad save files

Workshop Features
  • Added core functionality required for Lua scripting and added some Alyx-specific script bindings for querying VR controller input and creating nav mesh paths from entity scripts
  • Enabled live bone constraints in SFM, which can be baked/enabled as procedural bones, like cloth

Workshop Fixes
  • Fixed case where some explicitly specified meshes became hulls. (eg. func_shatterglass will now build in a map without having to enable legacy collision mesh.)
  • Fixed Import Sequence in SFM to work correctly on sequences with animated root orientation
damn

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really, really want to play this. I have a PSVR. I used to have an Oculus. I don't want to shell out PC VR money again to play this, at least with the current hardware. I'm waiting a bit for the next version of the Quest, or something similar. I can wait, unless someone wants to lend me their hardware, haha.

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal

y5NHl6h.gif

Game Features

Game Fixes
  • Various crash fixes

Workshop Features

Workshop Fixes
That bottle liquid looks incredible, such a small detail but I'm looking forward to checking it out in VR.

Jellycrackers

Oct 25, 2017
I'm having a blast playing through all these community made levels. I absolutely love how easy it is to get them up and running as well. New content to enjoy in this great gameplay :)

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Started watching a play through, I'm so sad I can't play it myself without spending near 2K (new PC and VR gear)

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This is the scariest goddamn game I've ever played

I don't get scared by flatscreen games but headcrabs in this game seriously put me on edge

I just hit the hotel and I think I might just take a break til' my new GPU comes in a few days from now

Deleted member 2840

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is the scariest goddamn game I've ever played

I don't get scared by flatscreen games but headcrabs in this game seriously put me on edge

I just hit the hotel and I think I might just take a break til' my new GPU comes in a few days from now
Yeah headcrabs scared me the hell out.
But, for better or for worse, things got WAY better when I got the Laser sight upgrade for the pistol.
When I suddenly became able to easily shoot a headcrab from far away while barely looking at it, the tension really dropped.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
So yeah, with the workshop support and it being one click (or two if you need to enable the mod within the game) for mod levels I've been checking some out and they are pretty cool. Was fun playing through part of the prison from HL2 in VR.

Can't wait till people are able to add in new (and old) weapons and enemies.

Speaking of mods, someone made PT in Alyx. Though without Lisa and it's just linear. But still cool. Would be really cool if they could port the assets in (like this map that used a Halo level did, that was cool too!).

kotaku.com

Somebody Turned Half-Life: Alyx Into P.T. In Case You Never Want To Sleep Again

Even though P.T. was just a playable teaser for a game that we will never actually get to play, it still haunts many people’s memories. Now, someone is trying to recreate the terrifying game using the Half-Life: Alyx engine.

Bloodforge

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
Just bought this and played for a little over an hour, already easily one of the best VR games I've played.

On another note I can't aim for shit with the holo sight, I was super accurate with iron sights though.

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
Just finished. What a ride. Ending would have probably hit harder for me if I was up on Half Life lore, but man, every level had something great.

Sad it's over, but happy I got to experience it. Not sure what to play next, but i'm leaning towards Asgard's Wrath.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Workshop support is really giving this extra life, been enjoying quite a few maps on there. Some clever encounter design and scenarios like starting with no gun and having to break a window, grab the keycard on the other side, unlock door while a Combine soldier is shooting at you from beyond a nearby gate. Tense!

Brewery Break In is the latest one I tried and the increased difficulty and base damage from Combine fire makes every shot count. Good layout and flow as well.

The Lost Case is another good one worth checking out (iirc this is the one with the keycard puzzle mentioned before).

Alo81

Oct 27, 2017
Workshop support is really giving this extra life, been enjoying quite a few maps on there. Some clever encounter design and scenarios like starting with no gun and having to break a window, grab the keycard on the other side, unlock door while a Combine soldier is shooting at you from beyond a nearby gate. Tense!

Brewery Break In is the latest one I tried and the increased difficulty and base damage from Combine fire makes every shot count. Good layout and flow as well.

The Lost Case is another good one worth checking out (iirc this is the one with the keycard puzzle mentioned before).

I know people have been talking about it generally, but I played through "Belomorskaya Station" recently and thought it was really damn cool.

dsk1210

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh UK
I was up for playing a few mods the other day but could not for the life of me get the audio to come out of the Index speakers. Played a little of the belomorskaya map but not the same without the sound out the headset.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Which 300-400€ graphiccard would you guys recommend for medium Half Life Alyx and Asgards Wrath? 2060 Super? Or could it work with something cheaper? CPU of a friend is a Ryzen 5 3300

Dr. Mario

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
I'm playing it now with a GTX1060. I'm not very far yet though, but so far the quality is pretty spectacular as VR goes and pretty smooth. There were some stutters when looking through transparent objects at the city though, but these so far have been minimal.

lazerfox

Oct 26, 2017
Switzerland
Oculus Quest will be used :)
A 1060 would probably suffice then. However if you're buying a new GPU I would consider buying one of the 20xx RTX series. The card would be faster which would allow you to super-sample making the image sharper so it could reduce motion sickness.

I need to play through this again.
I just started a replay a few days ago and I'm trying to get the Gnome achievement. I'm shuddering at the thought that I have to go through the hotel one handed. I don't know if I can make it.

Yatagarasu

Oct 27, 2017
I tried playing Half-Life: Alyx on my Rift CV1 but get lots of juddering during the game, even on low settings. I have an i5-3570k at stock and 1070 but the settings are on low. Did anyone else have this issue?

Oct 26, 2017
I just got the game and did the first part (just entered the QZ). I need to take a break as the experience is way intense and it's been a while since I played Skyrim and other heavy VR games. But it's totally amazing. The immersion is through the roof.

It's a little shaky at times. I have a GTX 1060 6GB, a i5-7400 and 16 GB RAM. I'm assuming the memory is good for now, but could I make a simple upgrade without having to replace the entire system? Playing on Oculus Quest.