• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017
I've mainly been playing Skyrim VR since getting my first headset, but I finally started this, and I'm up to chapter 5 I think. Just...amazing, and the visuals are so crystal clear on the G2. I feel like part of it is due to the gun itself (the sights), but I also see I'm trash as shooting. 😆 Still fun. It seems like I end up lugging items around in my hands and taking them through the level, as kind of a way to bypass the 2 wrist item limit. It's like how a RPG item hoarder like myself plays VR I guess.

Natural Locomotion works pretty well too. The continuous motion speed is...really slow, but I get it.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
For under 400 or 500 euro (that includes the controllers), the rift 2 or quest are really the only options to play this, right?

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017
Finished the game, loved it, and I already started up a second playthrough on hard difficulty using the HL2 USP pistol off the workshop. I have nothing to compare it to, but things are so crisp on the G2 that you could use the monitors in game to do real life work on.
It's going to be nice knowing the exact order of upgrades I'll want this time...really not a fan of these reflex sights.

Oh, and no spoilers, but the ending pissed me off so much...then something else happened and I was jacked, pumped, and ready for what's next. So good!

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
I think this game is really good. What I like is the fixation on little interactions in lieu of big dramatic firefights and set pieces (for the most part). Just the act of having to look down and see how many shells you need to load into your gun and how that divides your attention between what's going on around you and the act of properly reloading. How reloading, weapon switching and catching grenades puts you in this flow of decision making where you're trying to play it as a cover shooter and inventory management game (it excels at both of these).

As I played it I felt really incentivized to not upgrade the reload on the shotgun cause I enjoyed that interaction too much and the riskiness of it. It's hard to articulate quite why little actions like catching a grenade in your left hand, dropping your gun and tossing the grenade over to your dominant hand for a more precise throw just feels very different to pressing LB on a gamepad. There's a surprising amount to keep track of even in the most banal of interactions, I just wish tho I didn't have to turn to mods to find a more challenging version of the game.

I played the whole thing on continuous mode, I just felt like the teleport was a bit of a cheat. But I'm lucky in that I haven't found that VR makes me sick for some reason, despite this being my first VR game. I even tried that Boneworks thing and it was fine, the game which got me closest to feeling a bit weird is Skyrim cause it really doesn't feel like they bothered to update the movement much for VR.

edit someone posted this in the VR thread, but I also really disliked the jeff chapter.
Just reminded me of the stealth sequences in TLOU1 where you throw bricks at clickers, it was really boring and sometimes the tracking would mess up and glass would immediately smash in my hands

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017
I do think the slower pace, and the way they did encounters works great for what this game is. I absolutely would want way more combat and more "epic" encounters if this was a mainline game.

Jun 29, 2020
Neverland
can someone recommend me a headset/controllers that would work well with this? (outside of a Quest 2)

my price range is about mid tier, I don't want to buy the lowest of the low but I can't afford the most expensive stuff

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Finished my second playthrough today, with the developer commentary on. Got 100% of the achievements, and that includes
Gnome Vault of my Own
which was kind of a pain in the butt, but still fun. It made inventory management through the entire game much more difficult.

Absolutely wonderful game, and still my GOTY 2020.

Zeouter

Oct 27, 2017
Ireland
Just finished it.
Yeah, that's pretty darn fantastic.

I actually believed they had Gordon in there, that there was gonna be some time yoke. Love all that they did there, although Eli and the Gman needs expanding. I'm almost more excited about what Alyx could be hired for than Gordon + Eli off to kick Combine butt.
I do like they had their souped up gravity gun moment, it was pretty fun, if anything a bit short lived / under utilized [maybe I'd be saying the opposite if it was longer?]
Didn't love the Strider conclusion, perhaps it would have been cooler to pull it apart, souped up gravity gun style?

But yeah, what a game.
I kinda can't but want the sequel in VR however... >~>

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
oh my finally got to chapter 4, i guess im playing at a glacial pace. I got stuck for a few minutes with the barnacle puzzle, but thought i was going at a good pace but guess not

pavaloo

Oct 25, 2017
oh wow, haha

buckle up :)

finally finished my pc build recently, started the damn thing in august.. cannot WAIT to play Alyx through again at full res and 120hz :D

trapt777

Oct 25, 2017
Not yet! Hehe.

I am taking my sweet time. This has been my first big triple AAA experience with VR and I am at lost for words. Unreal. I am IN CHAPTER 5.

I am fully immersed!

LMAO you ain't seen shit brotha!

Buckle up because the game just gets better and better.

What I would give to wipe my brain and experience this again for the first time.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
oh wow, haha

buckle up :)

finally finished my pc build recently, started the damn thing in august.. cannot WAIT to play Alyx through again at full res and 120hz :D
LMAO you ain't seen shit brotha!

Buckle up because the game just gets better and better.

What I would give to wipe my brain and experience this again for the first time.
Oh man, you guys are hyping me! Earlier today, I had just got the full auto combinegun. I am also impressed with each weapon upgrade in general. They all feel so meaningful. I never get tired of sticking my guns in that machine haha!

:3!!!!!!!!!!!!

EchoSmoker

Jan 29, 2018
A while ago I made some cinematic-style GIFs. I finally made another one. I lost count of how many takes it took to get this.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
A while ago I made some cinematic-style GIFs. I finally made another one. I lost count of how many takes it took to get this.
I dont know why I am laughing. c':

But I am. You really sold it, and it is kinda cool, but I can't help but laugh at how dramatic you were being HAHA XD

But by comparison, my gameplay would look a lot less badass. Dropping mags on the floor knocking over objects with my hand -- just very messy and not stylish lol!

EchoSmoker

Jan 29, 2018
It was worth it! Very slick.
Thanks!
I dont know why I am laughing. c':

But I am. You really sold it, and it is kinda cool, but I can't help but laugh at how dramatic you were being HAHA XD

But by comparison, my gameplay would look a lot less badass. Dropping mags on the floor knocking over objects with my hand -- just very messy and not stylish lol!
Thank you lol. That was me 100% my first time through. I actually did drop the clip in the beginning of this GIF but it's kind of easy to miss. My idea was Alyx comedically freezing when she locked eyes with the Combine before leaping into cover. The clip grabbed off the ground is the same one I dropped.
How the fuck is that so smooth looks like fake trailer gameplay :o
As others have said, it's the same method Valve used for their footage. Imagine your eyes lagging behind ~1 second whenever you move your head. I spent enough time with this enabled that nothing makes me sick anymore lol
Full in-camera smoothing is a combination of effects applied to all three axes of camera rotation, to create a very cinematic look for your VR camera. This tool is perfect for capturing small moments that you want to look just right — but because it lags the game camera inside your headset, it can be disorienting and is not meant to be used while playing normally. This is the tool we used to capture most of the Half-Life: Alyx gameplay videos we released. While it is uncomfortable to play the game in this mode, it is great for capturing footage that feels like it does when you're playing normally. (Note that this tool is different to Spectator Camera Smoothing, which filters out roll rotation only as a post-processing effect, and has no impact on what you see in the headset.)

coldsagging

AVALANCHE
Oct 27, 2017
Bought an Occulus today and got this downloading now. So excited! Can't believe I'm almost back in this universe, one or my favourites.

First VR experience too.

coldsagging

AVALANCHE
Oct 27, 2017
Oh my god. Just standing in front of the Citadel 😲😲

Been so impressed with the whole VR experience so far, even the oculus tutorial was super fun.

coldsagging

AVALANCHE
Oct 27, 2017
Having an absolute blast with this, I'm right at the start of chapter 3. I tried continous movement for a moment but it instantly made me sick.

Is there anyway to change the resolution? I'm sure I've seen it but can't find it now.

coldsagging

AVALANCHE
Oct 27, 2017
As much as I'm enjoying it, it absolutely wrecks my eyes. I can barely play for an hour before needing it to take a break

Alo81

Oct 27, 2017
As much as I'm enjoying it, it absolutely wrecks my eyes. I can barely play for an hour before needing it to take a break
This probably sounds dumb, but are you regularly blinking? When I get a bit too immersed I notice that I'm so focused on whats happening that I kind of subconciously forget to blink.

coldsagging

AVALANCHE
Oct 27, 2017
This probably sounds dumb, but are you regularly blinking? When I get a bit too immersed I notice that I'm so focused on whats happening that I kind of subconciously forget to blink.
I googled it earlier and read it could be that. I thought it was dumb at first but thinking about it there could be something in it, I've definitely been immersed enough! I'll play again tomorrow and see.

coldsagging

AVALANCHE
Oct 27, 2017
Did you change your IPD setting? Make sure that is correct. (That's the distance between your eyes in mm)
Yeah I've tried the 2 smaller settings on the quest 2, I'll try setting 3 tomorrow and see if that helps. I've been tinkering with the settings a bit today as there's times the game looks pretty blurry, I've tried changing the resolution and graphics settings but it was still there

Not a big deal, it still looks fantastic.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
I actually realized I was doing this yesterday. My eyes were burning until I blinked. Weird how I don't blink until I tell myself too in VR. Wtf?

Disorientator

Oct 27, 2017
Cyprus
Is out-of-sync dialogue with the Quest 2 (over VD) a known issue with Alyx?

Seems to only happen with dialogue - all other sounds effects are fine.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished "JEFF".

Valve are master trolls. Absolutely mastery in trollolgy.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
the more and more I play this game, is the more and more I see parallels to Resident evil (the 3rd person games).

• Heavy emphasis on inventory management/exploration in linear areas to find useful items (ammo/health, upgrade parts, etc)
  • "JEFF" is like a certain enemy from the last two recent remakes (RE2/RE3). The footsteps even. Get me? The way you can really do nothing but run as he looks for you.
  • Emphasis on slower, more tactical movement and weakpoint shooting to disable certain parts of enemy bodies or slow them down (RE4/RE5)
I am really enjoying this game because of this. They may not have meant to do this on purpose, but they basically made another Resident evil game in VR with a valve twist on it hehe XD