• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
LesPanes

LesPanes

Oct 25, 2017
France
Mmmmmm....

3pDdrMR.jpg

9tk1GpM.jpg

JonCha

Oct 29, 2017
UK
Haven't played any Halo since 4, and don't even have an Xbox, but that comparison video is quality. Honestly want to get back into it.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
That looks really nice, was surprised how high quality the gun models really were when I saw the PC version the first time.

LoyalPhoenix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Welp, looks like ill be rejoining our comrades in Halo 5 because god damn, I was watching this on a 1080p monitor and it still looked clean af compared to the original.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
MS really deserve a lot of credit for just how well they have supported the X , even before launch.

I was never expecting them to go back and do Halo 5 and MCC, let alone 4K patching 360 games and even Xbox OG games. It's amazing how good Ninja Gaiden black looks

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
damn girl....

dont make me spend 4k on this thing please. my wife will kill me

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looks like there's quite a jump in the LoD of NPCs at distance - not just the resolution bump. Couldn't tell if the 30fps is gone or not, though.

BLLYjoe25

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i mean it looks better with 4K textures and stuff but it's not that huge a difference. this is why i'll always take better graphics/framerate over resolution.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Oh damn. That is quite the difference, I think I may install this again. Amazing..

I still want to see Witcher 3.

Bioshocker

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
I like what I'm seeing. It almost makes me want to get a new 4K TV and a One X now. Being such a big investment I can't justify it at the moment, especially since I really love my 1080p TV and my One S. (They need to release a One X with a 2tb harddrive too in the near future.)

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
i mean it looks better with 4K textures and stuff but it's not that huge a difference. this is why i'll always take better graphics/framerate over resolution.

Halo 5 already runs at a solid 60fps. Resolution is where it suffered as it dynamically lowered it to keep that solid frame rate. So almost definitely the right place for them to make the improvements. I think the upgrade is massive.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
The majority of these are while you are standing still and for what it is, it looks good to me and not overly amazing (or like Halo 6 LMAO) like others claim. It's actually about what I expected, when Stinkles first commented on it and said that it will be similiar to Halo 5: Forge on PC. Bumping up the Dynamic Resolution to 4K (with no real 4K textures) + forced 16x Anisotropic Filtering gives you this.

I'd like to see Digital Foundry repating their technical review, which talked about the costs of maintaining the 60FPS. Remember the game running 810p at times, the shadow pop ins, the low resolution textures, the lower FPS animation in the distance and etc.? If they got rid of those and the game stays at 4K/60FPS most of the time, than I'd agree that it's pretty awesome from a technical and performance standpoint.

upinsmoke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Nobody zooms in like that though. To me it looks like an improvement, everything looks cleaner and sharper. Basically it looks like what you'd expect going from a resolution lower than 1080p (which yes is what Halo 5 ran on xbox one, infact it ran loads of different resolutions but none never full hd) to a 4k one.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Nobody zooms in like that though. To me it looks like an improvement, everything looks cleaner and sharper. Basically it looks like what you'd expect going from a resolution lower than 1080p (which yes is what Halo 5 ran on xbox one, infact it ran loads of different resolutions but none never full hd) to a 4k one.

Unless you are viewing that zoomed in image on a 4K screen, then it is a valid way to illustrate the increase in quality.

Oct 26, 2017
So yesterday I watched that Halo 5 clip on my Oneplus 3 phone and thought to myself "that big of a difference guys? Cause I don't see it." now I al watching on my gen 1 Surface Pro and..... Holy crap, a very clear difference and that's not even in 4K since my Surface can't do that and it's a far cry from my 65 inch TV too. Now let's see the other games here.

Oct 26, 2017
Few things I noticed

Halo 5, even on X I see lod popping up, too bad. Maybe this couldnt easily be changed?

AC Origins, I see difference in shadow quality and the character too when you first see the Pro and then a slider showing X. Nothing too crazy though.

For some reason the Rise of the Tomb Raider video can't stay crisp, at first it's very sharp and then all of a sudden the video is just blurry. Weird. Definitely curious about the final results in terms of differences for that one.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't underestimate the benefits of downsampling, either. Or supersampling, as it's usually called on PC. Rendering at a higher resolution and then scaling down can significantly improve image aliasing and detail, and it's a sore point that the PS4 Pro doesn't force it, with only a handful of games supporting the feature. Supposedly the Xbox One X forces supersampling for games running at high resolutions when paired with a lower resolution screen, but remains to be seen how well implemented it is.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
did the X already get the graphics patches and whatnot? I could have sworn this was just what halo 5 was looking like out of the box on XB1X, meaning its 1080p with 16AF but not 4K yet

Don't underestimate the benefits of downsampling, either. Or supersampling, as it's usually called on PC. Rendering at a higher resolution and then scaling down can significantly improve image aliasing and detail, and it's a sore point that the PS4 Pro doesn't force it, with only a handful of games supporting the feature. Supposedly the Xbox One X forces supersampling for games running at high resolutions when paired with a lower resolution screen, but remains to be seen how well implemented it is.

that's the trade off for not all games having a high resolution mode. Sony has devs use the power for both 1080p and 4K output modes so they get different results. I guess that's why its up to the developer to have a supersampling option as opposed to it being systemwide.

X1 Two

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Like putting on glasses for the first time. You never knew how blurry everything was until you see it clearly.

Synth

Oct 26, 2017
that's the trade off for not all games having a high resolution mode. Sony has devs use the power for both 1080p and 4K output modes so they get different results. I guess that's why its up to the developer to have a supersampling option as opposed to it being systemwide.

That's not a trade-off. Devs have this option on XB1X also, with RoTR for example still offering 3 different selectable modes, including the 1080p performance mode, and Gears 4 has the 60fps 1080p campaign mode also. The only difference between PS4 Pro and XB1X is that unless the developer has manually included downsampling as an option in their game, a 1080p user can't benefit from the higher resolution mode, even if the game has one. There's zero advantage to it.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
That's not a trade-off. Devs have this option on XB1X also, with RoTR for example still offering 3 different selectable modes, including the 1080p performance mode, and Gears 4 has the 60fps 1080p campaign mode also. The only difference between PS4 Pro and XB1X is that unless the developer has manually included downsampling as an option in their game, a 1080p user can't benefit from the higher resolution mode, even if the game has one. There's zero advantage to it.
Indeed.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
did the X already get the graphics patches and whatnot? I could have sworn this was just what halo 5 was looking like out of the box on XB1X, meaning its 1080p with 16AF but not 4K yet

Yes, the patch was officially announced and released by 343i. It might look like this to you, because Halo 5 didn't receive 4K textures like other games.

Somebody from 343i would need to go in detail about what they did, besides bumping up the Dynamic Resolution to 4K.

That's huge difference. Wasn't it 1080p? Very impressive.

Yes and no. It was between 810p and 1080p to maintain the 60FPS goal.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
And thus becomes one of, if not the best looking console game ever.

The lighting and PBR in Quantum Break is unbelievable, surprised at how underappreciated the game's visuals are.
I really dislike its colour grading to be honest. The game would be much better with an unaltered colour pallette. It was too often completey orange or blue.