Jan 6, 2022
Respawn just released "Team Bundles" which have a banner of the team and I think a rerelease of legendary skins to go with them. So no org skins, just the banner border thingy. $20.

Siege has 3 different tiers of bundles. T1 bundles get headgear uniform, weapon skin and charm. T2 teams have skins and charms. T3 have just weapon skins. $15/$5/$3ish because it's not a direct and I don't feel like doing the math.

COD has its franchised team bundles. You get 2 skins (home and away), a weapon camo, watch, weapon charm, sticker, emblem and calling card for $10.
Gotcha, seems like Siege and Apex are kind of comparable to what Halo offers, value? Would love if Halo got more piecemeal like Siege does it

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Rocket League has 16 NA, 16 EU, 2 SA and 2 Oceania orgs that get 6 skins (1 home and away "jersey" for the 3 meta cars) and a banner all for less than $5 a pack. Why can't Halo do this?

They also vaulted the org's spartan skin and the BR skins. Why? And each set is $10. Are they gonna rotate between sets? Add new ones? How much will a full set of 1 org gonna cost us? $100? What's the point of vaulting cosmetics, especially esport ones lmao.

Well this would be bad business /s

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
Rocket League has 16 NA, 16 EU, 2 SA and 2 Oceania orgs that get 6 skins (1 home and away "jersey" for the 3 meta cars) and a banner all for less than $5 a pack. Why can't Halo do this?

They also vaulted the org's spartan skin and the BR skins. Why? And each set is $10. Are they gonna rotate between sets? Add new ones? How much will a full set of 1 org gonna cost us? $100? What's the point of vaulting cosmetics, especially esport ones lmao.
Ya why don't we compare the HCS to LoL esports while we're at it

BradC00

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Ya why don't we compare the HCS to LoL esports while we're at it

not sure what the relevance of your comment is. Yea, RLCS is 10x the organization HCS is. It's not even close. We know this. But there is nothing stopping HCS from learning from actual good orgs and leagues, and getting more teams into their partner program. they could even have a 2nd tier of partnership like siege does, where they get to sell mtx but don't get travel paid for (or at least have to qualify like am teams)

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
While I think that it's fair to say that partnership program membership should focus on the health of the scene as a whole, rather than just "fan favorite" orgs... there's an argument to be made that boosting and rewarding long-term success stories with decent sized HCS fanbases is what's best for the scene as a whole.

It's hard to say without having actual analytics to look at. Like, getting TL on board would be great for viewership... if their fans actually tune in. Which is not guaranteed! Maybe it'd be better to boost an org like KCP, show other teams that there's a real tangible upside to sticking with the HCS, and try to help them build into a major esports brand in their own right. But there's no way to make that call without more data.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
While I think that it's fair to say that partnership program membership should focus on the health of the scene as a whole, rather than just "fan favorite" orgs... there's an argument to be made that boosting and rewarding long-term success stories with decent sized HCS fanbases is what's best for the scene as a whole.

It's hard to say without having actual analytics to look at. Like, getting TL on board would be great for viewership... if their fans actually tune in. Which is not guaranteed! Maybe it'd be better to boost an org like KCP, show other teams that there's a real tangible upside to sticking with the HCS, and try to help them build into a major esports brand in their own right. But there's no way to make that call without more data.

I think it's fair to say that rewarding the type of behavior that you want to see emulated to help bolster the overall health of the scene is AT LEAST as important as hoping that the simple presence of big name orgs will ensure stability.

There have always been big name orgs in HCS. And for many of them, if they cant quickly get in on the prize money, they leave without having done anything for the ground game.

Leaving the orgs out to dry who have been footing the bill for quality content , interacting with the community, and hosting grassroots events, despite not seeing any revenue for those efforts - just disincentives those behaviors that are crucial to growth.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's fair to say that rewarding the type of behavior that you want to see emulated to help bolster the overall health of the scene is AT LEAST as important as hoping that the simple presence of big name orgs will ensure stability.

There have always been big name orgs in HCS. And for many of them, if they cant quickly get in on the prize money, they leave without having done anything for the ground game.

Leaving the orgs out to dry who have been footing the bill for quality content , interacting with the community, and hosting grassroots events, despite not seeing any revenue for those efforts - just disincentives those behaviors that are crucial to growth.
To play the devil's advocate for a moment - driving up engagement overall creates an incentive for those grass-roots organizations all by itself, by increasing the odds for them to break out popularity wise even absent the partner program. Love of the sport is all well and good but if it's perceived as a dead end you're gonna have a hell of a time growing.

That said... My own personal preference would be to do it your way. Let the scene be smaller but more cohesive, build up a really fervent grass-roots audience, then work on bringing in more big-name orgs, once you have a self-sustaining ecosystem for them to plug into. But I can't say for sure that it's the better method.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
To play the devil's advocate for a moment - driving up engagement overall creates an incentive for those grass-roots organizations all by itself, by increasing the odds for them to break out popularity wise even absent the partner program. Love of the sport is all well and good but if it's perceived as a dead end you're gonna have a hell of a time growing.

That said... My own personal preference would be to do it your way. Let the scene be smaller but more cohesive, build up a really fervent grass-roots audience, then work on bringing in more big-name orgs, once you have a self-sustaining ecosystem for them to plug into. But I can't say for sure that it's the better method.

That devils advocate argument isn't new, and it has never really panned out that the big orgs drive viewership outside of the green wall. And the collapse after pandering to big orgs has been a thing for as long as HCS has been a thing.
Most of the people that view HCS do so because they like competitive Halo, not because they like the organizations competing. that's why we need organizations that help with the ground game- the outreach part of the equation. Hosting events to increase local interest, which feeds the talent pool, Creating interesting content for HCS to amplify… We need more than big orgs who put out a tweet when their team is about to be on stream at a Major.

Edit: I don't think there's any evidence that the simple presence of big orgs meaningfully drives engagement.

Last edited:

BradC00

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Big orgs have less of an impact on viewership than drops do. Its why valencia held steady around 20-30k, cause we got an actual unique drop in the 💎 pistol, not because the scene is growing (its not) or because of orgs like acend or navi.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
Big orgs have less of an impact on viewership than drops do. Its why valencia held steady around 20-30k, cause we got an actual unique drop in the 💎 pistol, not because the scene is growing (its not) or because of orgs like acend or navi.

This is also true… and it supports the idea that the focus right now needs to be driving interest amongst Halo players to consume and participate in the Halo esport rather than simply hoping Big Orgs brings viewers - as those gains are fleeting

The real value in having big orgs at this stage is that they can immediately provide the financial stability to players who want to commit to the game full time. But the partnership program SHOULD be helping smaller organizations get into a position where they can offer that sort of stability as well.

BradC00

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This is also true… and it supports the idea that the focus right now needs to be driving interest amongst Halo players to consume and participate in the Halo esport rather than simply hoping Big Orgs brings viewers - as those gains are fleeting

The real value in having big orgs at this stage is that they can immediately provide the financial stability to players who want to commit to the game full time. But the partnership program SHOULD be helping smaller organizations get into a position where they can offer that sort of stability as well.

it's weird agreeing with you...

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Will this get put up as a vod? I'm curious to see how they're viewing the scene and its trajectory, and understand how they see it going moving forward.

BradC00

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
what was most surprising to me is how HCS has apparently crushed all their KPIs. I can only assume they're projected based on H5 numbers.

we don't know what their indicators are based on, what level of engagement they expected, etc. If they were only expecting 32-team NA open series, they exceeded those, but we went from full 512-team tournaments to the build-up to Raleigh, 230 teams at Raleigh, tickets to Raleigh sold out in 5 minutes, to 130 teams at KC, and the venue didn't sell out at all.

If we are going off the last 6 years of Halo, it's no doubt an improvement. HWC 2016 had like 115Kish watching, but the drop off between that and the online summer league was MASSIVE, and I remember people screaming for LANs, even compared to this years chatter.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
Tashi's answers are...ok so far. what was most surprising to me is how HCS has apparently crushed all their KPIs. I can only assume they're projected based on H5 numbers.

I can't say I'm suprised they hit their KPIs. HCS came out of the gate bigger than anything in H5.

I do wonder if the adjusted their metrics after the success of Raleigh, though

Here's a tldr: https://ibb.co/qnJF9Xz
And a VOD: https://www.twitch.tv/louisvtitan/video/1528472651

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2022
I'm shocked that we got a two hour interview with Tashi. That was not expected, respect to Toolez and Tashi.

I thought most of those answers were fine, but it just shows that HCS really doesn't have too much power in the development in the game. They, like us, are waiting for the multiplayer team to change what needs to be changed

BradC00

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
"faze" just beat fnatic in the weekly ESA. It was also a bracket reset by "faze" after they got sent to losers by fnatic

Biosnake

Oct 25, 2017
If I was a Halo pro right now i'd be thinking about switching to another esport or becoming a content creator in the future, or both.

Daddy JeanPi

Prophet of Truth that's Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
It's painful how 343i have shit the bed. I love infinite, i want it to get better but my hopes are at an all time low. How does msoft even find this acceptable?

Jan 6, 2022
If Acend is being denied, then I have no clue who actually got into the partner program. We know it's more than 0, and we know it's less than 4. It has to be some big dollar orgs, right? Crazy that Acend did not get it, I thought they were a lock

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
So what does a HCS partnership entail? Is it just getting that custom skin where they get a part of the cut or is there more to it?

Anyway, you'd figure they want to throw the EU community some kind of bone because it's dying faster than our ecosystem. Partnering with the best EU team seems like a logical step.

Jan 6, 2022
So what does a HCS partnership entail? Is it just getting that custom skin where they get a part of the cut or is there more to it?

Anyway, you'd figure they want to throw the EU community some kind of bone because it's dying faster than our ecosystem. Partnering with the best EU team seems like a logical step.
It's skin revenue, travel considerations and some other behind the scenes support that we don't know too much about.

Also, is the EU scene dying? Valencia had the most viewers for an EU event ever, by a huge margin

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
It's painful how 343i have shit the bed. I love infinite, i want it to get better but my hopes are at an all time low. How does msoft even find this acceptable?

I would very much like to be a fly on the wall at Microsoft's end of things when it comes to discussions around Halo/343. I can't imagine they are happy.

Gave them SIX years, including the seriously painful decision to essentially have no launch title for their console to give them one of those years. Look at at the work some of their studios manage to do in half that time. And this is the studio that is supposed to be the tip of their spear - the managers of their big crown jewel IP, purpose built for that task. Have yet to release a game that wasn't either missing major components, broken, or had the studio tripping on it's own dick in other ways.

Sometimes I wonder if it's Microsoft's fault due to their policies around contract workers and stuff, but then I remember those studios who manage just fine.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017

Nobody can tell me that 343s approach to expanding partnerships has been of value to the scene.

These depressing Twitter announcements coupled with the lack of explanation given from 343, and no announcement on who was actually accepted… it's just a shitty way to operate a program that's supposed to grow healthy relationships with orgs.

Last edited:

Rodeo Clown

Dec 14, 2017
I continue to not understand why there's an arbitrary limit in the number of partner teams they accept or what more some of these orgs could do. Ascend and Pioneers have both been good to Halo for a while now and get shut out.

The only thing that makes sense is orgs like 100T or Team Liquid coming in, but it seems short-sighted given they've have no history with Halo. At least not for some many years in the case of an org like TL.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
I continue to not understand why there's an arbitrary limit in the number of partner teams they accept or what more some of these orgs could do. Ascend and Pioneers have both been good to Halo for a while now and get shut out.

The only thing that makes sense is orgs like 100T or Team Liquid coming in, but it seems short-sighted given they've have no history with Halo. At least not for some many years in the case of an org like TL.

Right, the number they should add is however many teams would benefit the scene by their addition.

If you've got some good teams from the ground floor, let them in. If orgs like TL and 100T come from out of nowhere and want in, add them too! Not at the expense of those who've been grinding.