Nov 8, 2017
But this looks fine to me. Good, even. I'm not getting the hate.

It's the flagship game for the new system so people were hoping for bleeding edge presentation. What they got was good, but not great presentation. The game will probably be good, but the scale of the reaction you're witnessing is because it's the latest battle in the console wars, where every detail and scrap of information is hyperanalysed and shouted over for days at a time.

Nov 14, 2017
It's clear they attempted to keep as much off the lighting as real-time as possible considering time of day. So the overall visuals suffered as a result. Everything looks realistically plastic.

I say Slipspace is the best engine at rendering plastic of all time!

Again, an assets pass + RT will quickly fix most of the visual issues.

The good news is that they can probably add content really quickly to the game without having to polish it visually.

I am hoping they do add a foliage update years down the line to at least bring it up to current gen levels. The trees and grass are from the 360 era.

Considering that the demo had no AO, no reflections, minimal shadows, and bad GI. I think they're counting on the RT patch to do everything in realtime. Dictator thoughts on that?

The Xbox One / Xbox One X versions of the game will look like this at 30fps. I don't think Xbox One version native resolution will be above 720p on average too.

Red Dead Redemption 2 was 768p 30fps on Xbox One.
If you're expecting the RT patch to replace a substantial portion of the renderer you may be disappointed.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's the flagship game for the new system so people were hoping for bleeding edge presentation. What they got was good, but not great presentation. The game will probably be good, but the scale of the reaction you're witnessing is because it's the latest battle in the console wars, where every detail and scrap of information is hyperanalysed and shouted over for days at a time.
Console warriors never cease to amaze.

Especially since neither system will have a truly flagship next gen game for at least another 1 or two(due to covid delays).

Detective

Oct 27, 2017
Speaking of the pillars, it not the pillars that's problem. It's foliage and mountain formations around the pillars that look bad imo.

22dREEN.jpg

Man I really hate those pillars. Lack of imagination.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017

Makes sense. I'm more impressed by this visually than anything obviously aiming for 30fps tbh. But everyone needs to relax because we already know most of the visually impressive reveals get a downgrade at release anyway and games mid/late console cycle blow away the standards set by the early titles.

But at any rate, consoles will always make technical concessions and anyone who cares that much about visuals should be building a PC anyway.

Cloud-Strife

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 27, 2019
What we got today looks to be the same. One is just showing the engine at its best.

Halo Infinite like a Xbox One game ported to run at 4k 60fps one the One X.

Visually very clean. I like it but it's not next gen.

Then again, I didn't think 2018 and 2019 trailers were next gen either.

I don't agree at all.

They look really different.. that's why so many people is dissapointed.

When I saw this teaser in 2018 a was expecting the best looking FPS I have ever seen on any console or PC but the reality is really far from that.

Everything here looks next gen and if someone can manage to make a shooter that looks like that it would be a dream come true.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
I don't agree at all.

They look really different.. that's why so many people is dissapointed.

When I saw this teaser in 2018 a was expecting the best looking FPS I have ever seen on any console or PC but the reality is really far from that.

Everything here looks next gen and if someone can manage to make a shooter that looks like that it would be a dream come true.

Next gen to me is HB2, the UE5 demo, and what we saw from Crossfire X.

Different standards i guess. :)

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
The game will probably be good, but the scale of the reaction you're witnessing is because it's the latest battle in the console wars, where every detail and scrap of information is hyperanalysed and shouted over for days at a time.

MS has been hyping up Scarlett/Series X as the most powerful console ever for over a year now. They've been setting that expectation over and over again to anyone who'd listen, and then giving people PR nonsense - like the Xbox One wouldn't hold anything back - on top of that. Then they deliver a demo for their flagship game that clearly has been held back by the Xbox One and does nothing to show how the Series X is the most powerful anything.

This has jack shit to do with console wars nonsense. This is all on MS.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MS has been hyping up Scarlett/Series X as the most powerful console ever for over a year now. They've been setting that expectation over and over again to anyone who'd listen, and then giving people PR nonsense - like the Xbox One wouldn't hold anything back - on top of that. Then they deliver a demo for their flagship game that clearly has been held back by the Xbox One and does nothing to show how the Series X is the most powerful anything.

This logic would work if we weren't shown Hellblade 2.

There is a lot of hyperbole and overblown "analysis" due to console war-itis.

Deleted member 1120

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He say's the demo took place roughly halfway through the game, while the IGN article mentioned that it was four hours in.

So we're getting a standard-length Halo campaign despite the open-world design? I'm kinda surprised and disappointed by that, I was expecting around 15 hours considering the open world and long dev cycle.
It's a "living" game with story expansions.

Cloud-Strife

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 27, 2019
Next gen to me is HB2, the UE5 demo, and what we saw from Crossfire X.

Different standards i guess. :)

That's a weird take but if that works for you all good.

For me that 2018 trailer for Halo Infinite looks better than pretty much anything I've seen this gen running at 60 fps. That's next gen in my eyes.. incredible visual fidelity and high framerate.

Starlite

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's a "living" game with story expansions.
We have no idea how long until any campaign expansion would come out, and definitely don't know how long any campaign expansion might be. It could be smaller ODST-style chunks for all we know.

Considering what happened with Spartan Ops, I have no confidence with any "living" campaign from 343 until they can prove themselves competent at executing the concept. I couldn't care less about what "Season 2" of Infinite might be if the game doesn't have a fleshed out campaign at launch.

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
He say's the demo took place roughly halfway through the game, while the IGN article mentioned that it was four hours in.

So we're getting a standard-length Halo campaign despite the open-world design? I'm kinda surprised and disappointed by that, I was expecting around 15 hours considering the open world and long dev cycle.

Infinite at launch is supposed to be a "plateform" for them to build upon 10 years so..
Yeah, don't expect a long game at all. They're basically releasing an early access for their new Halo GaaS prototype.

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
I posted in the OT but not here, has anyone talked about this?

so I was watching the trailer again on my phone and I noticed the map screen flickers, I went frame by frame on my computer and snapped this screenshot

gd3UeCO.png

OKRO VAGADUUN is an assassination mission, that seems cool
ECHO & GOLF BASE, maybe safe spots to reload ammo and stuff?
MARINE RESCUE K, oh yeah baby give me that filler open world side stuff
THE TOWER, is locked. Indicative of the backtracking they talked about?

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
0t0pspih4ij41.jpg

How can you not see Infinite's design influence?
They wore breathing apparatus' in all games until 343 takes over. It's not that I hate the design in Halo 4 but it was always a weird decision to me. It's the same thing with the Jerry cans attached to the back of Warthogs. Whyyyy are those there? Has anyone from 343 ever answered that question?

Edit; apparently the warthogs are still hydrogen powered, and the jerry cans are filled with undrinkable water to be used as a fuel source. Not 100% sure yet

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro

so I was watching the trailer again on my phone and I noticed the map screen flickers, I went frame by frame on my computer and snapped this screenshot

gd3UeCO.png

Good catch, yeah, it looks like the types of missions.

Nov 8, 2017

A huge percentage of the discussions are only about Halo Inifnite on the surface level, they're actually about how Halo Infinite exists in relation to - "does crossgen hold games back", "will microsoft offer true next gen experiences", "is xbox series x the most powerful console". You know - the console wars. The subtext of these discusions are, in turn, whether or not Microsoft or Sony are better. Again - the console wars. Hand wringing over whether or not a launch title has graphics that aren't sufficiently next gen is a textbook example. Hundreds of pages of discussion full of fanxiety, people reigniting the same months-long arguments over and over again, shitposting and potshots from people who were never interested in the platform to begin with, meme spamming, the whole lot of it.

sun-drop

Banned
Aug 21, 2018
wellington , new zealand
i mentioned in a TLOU2 thread how that game had ruined other titles for me , i think this is an example of that.

just the polish in the models and animations .... the way bad guys explode into bits in the last of us 2 ... i mean thats probably way too gory for a halo game to have but apart from the popin etc people are complaining about, the interaction with the NPC's is what struck me as most lacking in the halo demo ...i mean the pod brute who gets a sticky bomb on him ..it "explodes" ...a wee white flash of light and he falls over dead .... umm ..

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
Yeah I realize now that GREEN SPIRE kinda has like a satellite icon. Maybe like towers in Ubisoft games?
I think the ''Towers'' are going to be the bases, they will be dominated by enemies and then become safe spots after you clean the area.
Unfortunately we can't really understand how it will work, they did a poor job of explaining what Halo is going to be like with open world, I hope we'll see more soon.

Ramirez

Oct 26, 2017
i mentioned in a TLOU2 thread how that game had ruined other titles for me , i think this is an example of that.

just the polish in the models and animations .... the way bad guys explode into bits in the last of us 2 ... i mean thats probably way too gory for a halo game to have but apart from the popin etc people are complaining about, the interaction with the NPC's is what struck me as most lacking in the halo demo ...i mean the pod brute who gets a sticky bomb on him ..it "explodes" ...a wee white flash of light and he falls over dead .... umm ..

Gore has never been a part of Halo, why start now?

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

gd3UeCO.png

Happy to see some discussion on the actual game changes. On Unlocked, Miranda mentioned the broken sections of the map are areas that will slowly reconnect based on your progress, they may act as indicators of opportunities for upgrades and rewards. Perhaps you will reset dislodged sections back to its original self? Sounds brilliant to me.

Nov 14, 2017
It's very clearly missing really basic effects and graphic options.

The lighting and shadows alone are suspect.
I am just suggesting it because it seems a substantial portion of the renderer is MIA.
Gaps I see in this line of thought:

- If the visuals are due to lots of effects simply being missing, and not constraints, they're not going to launch without them.
- Similarly, they're not going to "fix" this issue through a patch that will only apply to one portion of the userbase (Series X + some PCs).
- Most importantly, everything we know about the RT capabilities of the new consoles tells us that RT will likely be used sparingly; see GT's reflections with roughness cutoffs. Expecting GI/AO, shadows and reflections to all be RT in a launch title is expecting a lot.

I'm not saying to not expect or hope for changes to shading/postprocessing. But better to be pleasantly surprised if PC/Series X get RT GI a la Metro than to be disappointed if they get RT reflections on certain surfaces + ultra settings of whatever rasterised lighting ends up in all versions.

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017

yeh, its not fair to compare, but during the warthog section, everything looks so lifeless on the warthog, the gun turret is just locked in place, the gas cans too, ND wouldve animated the turret to wobble along with the ammo clip and have the cans wiggle a bit, its small details that add up.

Deleted member 19767

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Yep. This.

Microsoft shouldn't have shown the slipspace demo and talked about hardware differences being evident, if this is what they had to offer. The messaging set the enormous expectations.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People really need to stop. Halo has never been a game series that defined the Xbox hardware because of it's cutting edge graphics.

With the exception of Halo 4 and possibly Reach, while Halo has never been a bad looking game, they never had the ebst visuals on their respective hardware. Halo 1 had a clean and simplistic art style with great use of colour, but it was not the best looking game. Even Halo 2 had issues with some unfinisged texture work in some levels and really bad graphic pop-in.

Halo 3's saving grace was it's lighting system, but it was massively criticized online for being cartoony and not gritty/realistic enough. That was the Gears of War effect.

OIP.omOR3MUaXgTc8FeN4HzYKgHaFU

EdsCI15XgAEIPu4

Bungie even took shortcuts by using matte paintings in cinematics instead of rendering physical objects.

Halo Reach sacrificed alot of colour in order to acheive it's visuals and it's lighting at times is even less advanced than what was in Halo 3. With Halo 4 alot was sacrificed to get it to look as graphic ally impressive as it does. Environment textures look rough in areas, levels are more linear, lighting took a hit, AI was downgraded, weapons despawn faster, lighting was even more downgraded, ect.

Halo 5 looks pretty much the same as Halo 4, it doesn't have any noticable graphical improvements other than resolution, even then splitscreen, blood splatters and even lighting was downgraded from the Beta in order to achieve a solid 60fps.

Halo has enevr had the most cutting edge graphics, or atleast not without sacrifices. But what it did well by taking advantage of Xbox hardware was in regards to it's implementation of AI, level design, weapon sandbox, game options, audio, ect. Halo Infinite's graphics will improve from here. I'm not expecting the best graphics in the industry, but it's already looking great especially with what 343i are trying to achieve with the campaign and giving fans what they want especially in regards to splitscreen and couch co-op. Alot of the comparisons to other games just don't work as they either don't offer what Halo does or they are more scripted. If graphics are such an important factor, then why do games with less impressive visuals like Minecraft and Fortnite command such a wide audience?

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

- If the visuals are due to lots of effects simply being missing, and not constraints, they're not going to launch without them.
- Similarly, they're not going to "fix" this issue through a patch that will only apply to one portion of the userbase (Series X + some PCs).
- Most importantly, everything we know about the RT capabilities of the new consoles tells us that RT will likely be used sparingly; see GT's reflections with roughness cutoffs. Expecting GI/AO, shadows and reflections to all be RT in a launch title is expecting a lot.

I'm not saying to not expect or hope for changes to shading/postprocessing. But better to be pleasantly surprised if PC/Series X get RT GI a la Metro than to be disappointed if they get RT reflections on certain surfaces + ultra settings of whatever rasterised lighting ends up in all versions.

Oh yeah I'm not expecting RT to the max, but that demo was clearly in an unfinished state.

The texture work alone tells me that.

Iso

Oct 25, 2017

gd3UeCO.png

Happy to see some discussion on the actual game changes. On Unlocked, Miranda mentioned the broken sections of the map are areas that will slowly reconnect based on your progress, they may act as indicators of opportunities for upgrades and rewards. Perhaps you will reset dislodged sections back to its original self? Sounds brilliant to me.
Seeing 'The Tower' and 'Conservatory' give me hope that the game still has enclosed linear story missions. That's what I'm hoping for; a nice open world that isn't too littered with bullshit (a-la AC...) with branching linear campaign missions that are more focused with great level design!

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
People really need to stop. Halo has never been a game series that defined the Xbox hardware because of it's cutting edge graphics.

With the exception of Halo 4 and possibly Reach, while Halo has never been a bad looking game, they never had the ebst visuals on their respective hardware. Halo 1 had a clean and simplistic art style with great use of colour, but it was not the best looking game. Even Halo 2 had issues with some unfinisged texture work in some levels and really bad graphic pop-in.

Halo 3's saving grace was it's lighting system, but it was massively criticized online for being cartoony and not gritty/realistic enough. That was the Gears of War effect.

EdsCI15XgAEIPu4

Bungie even took shortcuts by using matte paintings in cinematics instead of rendering physical objects.

Halo Reach sacrificed alot of colour in order to acheive it's visuals and it's lighting at times is even less advanced than what was in Halo 3. With Halo 4 alot was sacrificed to get it to look as graphic ally impressive as it does. Environment textures look rough in areas, levels are more linear, lighting took a hit, AI was downgraded, weapons despawn faster, lighting was even more downgraded, ect.

Halo 5 looks pretty much the same as Halo 4, it doesn't have any noticable graphical improvements other than resolution, even then splitscreen, blood splatters and even lighting was downgraded from the Beta in order to achieve a solid 60fps.

Halo has enevr had the most cutting edge graphics, or atleast not without sacrifices. But what it did well by taking advantage of Xbox hardware was in regards to it's implementation of AI, level design, weapon sandbox, game options, audio, ect. Halo Infinite's graphics will improve from here. I'm not expecting the best graphics in the industry, but it's already looking great especially with what 343i are trying to achieve with the campaign and giving fans what they want especially in regards to splitscreen and couch co-op. Alot of the comparisons to other games just don't work as they either don't offer what Halo does or they are more scripted. If graphics are such an important factor, then why do games with less impressive visuals like Minecraft and Fortnite command such a wide audience?

There's not being cutting edge, and then there's being well behind the curve. Stop making excuses for downgrades and sub-par visuals. Infinite's presentation isn't just average so-so - it's downright underbaked.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

EdsCI15XgAEIPu4

Bingo.

Halo was never the "king of all graphics" type of game.

Not under bungie and not really under 343 (H4 aside).

Oct 27, 2017
I have this feeling that Microsoft is going to be patching this game for years, like MCC. I feel bad for the situation they are in. I think there is a ton of promise here, but it's not ready.

I really hope we're not watching a "What Happun?" Video about this game in 10 years.

beau_beaumont

Nov 12, 2017
I finally sat down on my 4k tv and watched the demo and it's not great. There was a lot of pop in, flat textures and poor lighting. I don't doubt that the XSX is capable of providing a true next gen leap in visuals, but I think it's apparent that the engine they designed isn't scalable and was built well before the series x was designed.

I'm reminded for mgs v, which was also a cross-gen, open world game running at 60 fps on a brand new engine. It was absolutely one of best looking titles on the ps4 when it came out in 2015. The PS3 and 360 didn't hold it back that much. I don't think that's the case here

I'm sure millions of people will enjoy infinite, and I'll be one of them (on my xbone s) but i don't think we should use this demo's graphics as a sign that next gen is going to be a disappointment. I think the hellblade 2 trailer kind of skewed our expectations, but I'm sure games designed for next gen hardware are going to look a lot better than this halo demo did.

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
If this type of stuff is still there in 2-4 months then you are free to worry.

It's missing basic AO for god's sake.
They have 2-4 months, are looking to launch across ~5 platforms (PC, Series X, Series S, X1, X1X), and are in the middle of an epidemic. I'm salivating at the gameplay they showed yesterday, but I'm absolutely free to start worrying right now given the pressures and how time poor 343i are.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA

Reflections is more expensive than GI and shadows so I expect those before reflections. In addition, I don't think RT results on PS5 will be indicative of ones on Xsx.

We already see a fully path traced game demo from Xsx, so I have expectations that RT will show better.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
I agree and disagree, indeed Halo was never (only) about the visuals, but the hype, this time, was made on top of that.
''Built from the ground up for the Series X''
If that's not trying to sell the graphics, what is it then?
There is no way to justify against the disappointment of certain people, there are some overracting for sure, but many people expected more than what was shown in relation to the visuals.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They have 2-4 months, are looking to launch across ~5 platforms (PC, Series X, Series S, X1, X1X), and are in the middle of an epidemic. I'm salivating at the gameplay they showed yesterday, but I'm absolutely free to start worrying right now given the pressures and how time poor 343i are.
If this were a normal year yes.

Covid has thrown everything off. We haven't even seen CoD 2020 yet.

Femme Man

Oct 28, 2017

EdsCI15XgAEIPu4

I hear you and I agree (minus saying Halo 4 looked that good) but... we can't sit here and say what they presented was even subpar to current gen standards. There should be no excuses to what was shown off. A lot of people are rightfully criticizing Infinite's visuals after being fed hype for MONTHS by Microsoft, 343, and even Era Insiders on what we should expect with the showcase.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I agree and disagree, indeed Halo was never (only) about the visuals, but the hype, this time, was made on top of that.
''Built from the ground up for the Series X''
If that's not trying to sell the graphics, what is it then?
There is no way to justify against the disappointment of certain people, there are some overracting for sure, but many people expected more than what was shown in relation to the visuals.

Graphics are not the only way to take advantage of newer hardware, AI, audio, physics, framerate, ect. are things developers can use to take advantage of newer hardware. That's not to say graphics are not important. But again, the game is not out yet.

Deleted member 19767

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

EdsCI15XgAEIPu4

I have no idea where this narrative is coming from. Is the argument really that Halo games were never that good looking, so it's okay that Halo Infinite looks average?

Besides the fact that I disagree with the notion that Halo games weren't lookers - it does nothing to address the fact that there is a night and day difference between the slipspace preview in 2018/2019, and what Infinite is actually shaping up to be.

Shempts

Apr 29, 2018

I remember watching this video when it came out and was really hoping Infinite was going to look like this.