• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
It's possible, but after a decade+ of playing Bungie and 343i games and seeing the house of cards that those games are built upon with all of the errors and busted text display, a text string populated with a tool name is not even remotely surprising on the list of stuff that could get fucked up. If it was an intentional codename by a dev they should be found out, fired, and blacklisted imo. If you're a grown ass human working and your racist shit slips into your work you have no business working in the industry. Definitely not going to indict the entire company given how horrific their workschedule has been trying to keep that game afloat + being subjected to the historically toxic, entitled manchildren fanbase that don't know anything about game dev hurling death threats and invective to individual game staff for the state of the game due to MS' penny pinching mismanagement, mistreatment of workers, and for completely unrelated shit like the tv show or a cookbook.
Yeah, this basically.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
The Slipspace engine is a customized upgrade of Bungie's old engine BLAM and its toolsets - Bonobo is the string editor for this engine. Most of Bungie's tools, error codes, etc are named after animals as well.

When there is no text string it appears to get filled with whatever program window was open when it was edited or something.

If I remember correctly a few armor pieces during early infinite release period/beta were named bonobo in either their listed item name or item description.

This was an unfortunate coincidence due to old spaghetti code and likely exhaustion from the 343i QA staff which has no doubt been through the ringer for the last 2+ years. I sincerely doubt it was malicious.
Can anyone provide ANY proof that prior content went live with the name "Bonobo"? Because this claim only started being spread a day later with zero evidence, despite Halo Infinite's issues being HEAVILY documented.

Also, "blam" being a default name isn't a sign that EVERY TOOL BUNGIE EVER MADE also does the same thing. "Blam" in specific is a widely used pre-Halo Bungie in-joke. It was the code name for CE (after "Monkey Nuts") was the basis for the joke explanation of the Needler (the pink crystals are "blamite"), was used for censored text on the community site, used as a censor in custom files in various Halo games, etc.. It even shows up in Oni error codes, and is used by long time Bungie community members.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2022
It's possible, but after a decade+ of playing Bungie and 343i games and seeing the house of cards that those games are built upon with all of the errors and busted text display, a text string populated with a tool name is not even remotely surprising on the list of stuff that could get fucked up. If it was an intentional codename by a dev they should be found out, fired, and blacklisted imo.

If you're a grown ass human working and your racist shit slips into your work you have no business working in the industry. Definitely not going to indict the entire company given how horrific their workschedule has been trying to keep that game afloat + being subjected to the historically toxic, entitled manchildren fanbase that don't know anything about game dev, casually and enthusiastically hurling death threats and invective to individual game staff for the state of the game (which was in large part due to MS' penny pinching mismanagement, mistreatment of workers/contractors) and for completely unrelated shit like the tv show or a cookbook.
You seem to be very intent on shifting the blame for literally anyone else besides the company, while ignoring that they're quite deliberately sidestepping the topic of how the name got into a live build in the first place. You've also been putting up claims like "this same mistake has happened before" without actually showing any receipts.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Lovely to wake up and see this thread being steered in a very different direction this morning with absolutely no new info or evidence other than vage twitter references.

WadeIt0ut

Oct 28, 2017
Iowa
Not going to get too deep into the weeds on this but I know that some pro players that have spoken to other former pros who work at 343/HCS are pretty convinced that it was actually a screw up.

But this is also like third hand knowledge. And I don't know specifically what they heard.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Not going to get too deep into the weeds on this but I know that some pro players that have spoken to other former pros who work at 343/HCS are pretty convinced that it was actually a screw up.

But this is also like third hand knowledge. And I don't know specifically what they heard.
They're just all repeating the same vague nonsense of "oh yeah this might have maybe happened before" which is getting repeated as "this did happen before" with exactly zero evidence being shared, despite Infinite's issues being heavily documented.

Oct 25, 2017
Even if Bonobo is some placeholder thing, using it for this of all things as placeholder is bullshit. No way someone didn't notice this, I can't believe that it passed qulaity checks and they just let it happen.

Big Boy

Oct 25, 2017
Weird that no one is able to provide any actual evidence that this has happened before with the word Bonobo.

hwalker84

Oct 29, 2017
Pittsburgh
All they need to do is say. We've identified how this slipped past our checks and have dealt with the issue internally. If there was malice then add the person responsible was dealt with.

GetLuffy

Alt-Account
Banned
Apr 19, 2022
It's only right one of the first games to have someone call me a n-word online would be the same series to throw in a monkey joke for a capitalist bullshit ass "good will" holiday make good.

It's like some of the discussion I've seen in black circles online these companies do this shit on purpose. These corporate aggression against minroities (especially the black community because it's so much easier to shrug it off for some reason) generate some anger and online discourse, make a shitty apology/excuse, free publicity off stupid drama. No wonder they shipped the game with such shit support, they can't even lie about the mishap correctly. But as I've read through enough people will shield you as long as you keep their dopamine hit pure.

Instant Vintage

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
You know, in the past 40+ hours, all I've asked for is receipts that this has happened before, or a roadmap on what the next steps are in relation to finding out what happened and the resolution to the problem.

Neither one of those things have occurred, and at this rate, I don't think they will.

The bending over backwards to staunchly defend 343 is at Olympic gymnastic levels; I get that Halo is your shooty mcbang game of your choice, but don't be like 343: recognize that they fucked up and until we get some actionable items presented, continue to hold their feet to the fire.

hwalker84

Oct 29, 2017
Pittsburgh
You know, in the past 40+ hours, all I've asked for is receipts that this has happened before, or a roadmap on what the next steps are in relation to finding out what happened and the resolution to the problem.

Neither one of those things have occurred, and at this rate, I don't think they will.

The bending over backwards to staunchly defend 343 is at Olympic gymnastic levels; I get that Halo is your shooty mcbang game of your choice, but don't be like 343: recognize that they fucked up and until we get some actionable items presented, continue to hold their feet to the fire.
I'm a huge Halo fan but the response is embarrassing. What you said times 1000

OP
OP
Zebesian-X

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018

Pretty much… literally just a previous instance of the term Bonobo erroneously appearing on a cosmetic could help establish the "default name, toolset error" explanation, but even that hasn't been provided from what I've seen

Feb 16, 2022

Exactly this. Even more embarrassing is that we have people ITT actually claiming they've personally seen the same thing before, but still no receipts. The way some people tried so hard to downplay this even in this forum was disappointing.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You seem to be very intent on shifting the blame for literally anyone else besides the company, while ignoring that they're quite deliberately sidestepping the topic of how the name got into a live build in the first place. You've also been putting up claims like "this same mistake has happened before" without actually showing any receipts.
Not to say 343 didn't fuck up here (they did) I can at least believe the idea that it was an accident.

Playing the recent season of Destiny 2 bugs are about all you get right now. Both of these engines are held together by duct tape, glue and saying about 50 hail Marys.

Feb 16, 2022
Not to say 343 didn't fuck up here (they did) I can at least believe the idea that it was an accident.

Playing the recent season of Destiny 2 bugs are about all you get right now. Both of these engines are held together by duct tape, glue and saying about 50 hail Marys.
If it was anything else on any other occasion, sure. But on this particular one? No chance.

It's not that something like this couldn't have been an accident, it easily could have been. It's just this particular incident most likely wasn't one.

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017

The only problem with the accident explanation is that it hasn't ever happened before and they used the Bonobo tools for a very long time. The only other example we have that is close to this was the moochers of reach fiasco which was named that specifically by the devs and the error was that it reverted back to it's earlier name instead of the official name. In that case we know they named it that internally on purpose. So that only points more to the explanation that someone called the Juneteenth colors Bonono on purpose and it was never updated to the intended name or it reverted back due to an error.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If it was anything else on any other occasion, sure. But on this particular one? No chance.

It's not that something like this couldn't have been an accident, it easily could have been. It's just this particular incident most likely wasn't one.
The only problem with the accident explanation is that it hasn't ever happened before and they used the Bonobo tools for a very long time. The only other example we have that is close to this was the moochers of reach fiasco which was named that specifically by the devs and the error was that it reverted back to it's earlier name instead of the official name. In that case we know they named it that internally on purpose. So that only points more to the explanation that someone called the Juneteenth colors Bonono on purpose and it was never updated to the intended name or it reverted back due to an error.
I mean either way they fucked this up and are fucking this up.

One thing that Bungie has been faaaaaaar better on.

GhettoGamer

Oct 27, 2017

You would have to perform all kinds of mental gymnastics to believe that idea.

The only accident was that racist shit made it to production.

OberstKrueger

Jan 7, 2018

Not sure how reliable the word of people who's livelihood at least partially depends on this game's success talking to their friends on the inside is...

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
An extra problem is how no one, not a single person in games media or content creation with question 343 about this. No one with journalistic power with ever press 343 on their many blunders.

And heaven forbid suggesting that — you'll be seen as a Toxic Gamer TM.

Feb 16, 2022
And still 343 has been radio silent because they know they dont respect their fans.
Worse, they know for a fact that many of their loudest, most passionate fans would in fact defend them and help spread excuses and narratives without being asked. Which also explains this:
An extra problem is how no one, not a single person in games media or content creation with question 343 about this. No one with journalistic power with ever press 343 on their many blunders.

Oct 25, 2017

you'd assume schrier (sic) would. but i guess this story wouldnt drive traffic for him...

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
I wonder what the excuse would be if they didn't have an internal tool that's called Bonobo honestly.

I'm willing to buy that the initial naming was somehow an accident (though I'm not sure I believe it) but that doesn't excuse any of the QA people or anyone else who would and should have seen that and went "hey, this isn't right"

Just a complete and utter failure all around honestly. The non-statements just make it worse, especially when it's almost certainly a sign of some kind of culture issue at the company

Feb 16, 2022
Well considering they blasted 343 for the incident on Twitter I don't think that's really much of an issue.
So they blasted 343i for the incident, and then helped spread some baseless theory about how it's actually a screw up? And, per your own words, this is like, third hand knowledge? You do realize how this only makes people more skeptical.

Oct 27, 2017
There has to be a discord or private chat folks are high fiving each other over. Where are the leakers that can provide us with the rotten folks in the industry? That's what they should be good for.

WadeIt0ut

Oct 28, 2017
Iowa
So they blasted 343i for the incident, and then helped spread some baseless theory about how it's actually a screw up? And, per your own words, this is like, third hand knowledge? You do realize how this only makes people more skeptical.

All I said was that some people who have talked to others at 343 not in the development/content side seemed to have been pretty convinced it was a legit screw up.

And no one was helping to spread anything. This is what I was told from someone I know personally in that world. Not something from social media or stream. I already shit on 343 about it on twitter myself so I'm not trying to change anyone's mind lol.

Feb 16, 2022
All I said was that some people who have talked to others at 343 not in the development/content side seemed to have been pretty convinced it was a legit screw up.

And no one was helping to spread anything. This is what I was told from someone I know personally in that world. Not something from social media or stream. I already shit on 343 about it on twitter myself so I'm not trying to change anyone's mind lol.
Forgive me for being skeptical, as your posts ITT have been you trying to downplay people's concerns in some ways or another. If there were really people who know what they're talking about saying these stuff you claim, surely it would be beneficial to say it publicly and let people see for themselves.

WadeIt0ut

Oct 28, 2017
Iowa
Forgive me for being skeptical, as your posts ITT have been you trying to downplay people's concerns in some ways or another. If there were really people who know what they're talking about saying these stuff you claim, surely it would be beneficial to say it publicly and let people see for themselves.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say people, especially those involved with 343, have been explicitly told not to talk about it period.

And I never downplayed anything. I literally blamed 343 and said it doesn't make sense to have just happened coincidentally on that day.

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
Why are people still defending 343? An old Bungie engine defaulting names to the engine name doesn't explain shit. A tool named Bonobo that has nothing to do with the item in question doesn't explain shit. Talking about the same error happening before but showing no receipts doesn't erase the fucking racist thing they've done.

Seriously, it almost like some people are enemies of the obvious.

Feb 16, 2022
I'm going to go out on a limb and say people, especially those involved with 343, have been explicitly told not to talk about it period.

And I never downplayed anything. I literally blamed 343 and said it doesn't make sense to have just happened coincidentally on that day.
You have the most post ITT and most of them are you trying to downplay people's concerns and pushing theories that excuse 343i and their awful handling of this in some ways or another. You've also repeated the same hollow talking point their community manager put up, the fact that the toolset called Bonobo exists, which was never really in question. The question was what it had to do with the issue. This, to me, reads as an attempt to downplay the situation, as you're saying things like "This is a bit much..." and you for some reason made arguments about "intent matters".

Nah. Intent should always matter. Should it absolve someone to keep them from being fired? Probably not. But it definitely matters.

Probably not that relevant to this particular incident though.
Okay? But intent still matters.

Because it's the difference between "oh this person is a piece of shit" and "okay this is a teachable moment".

A lot of people around the world don't get the ape racist analogy. Whether it be due to from being young or just being from a part of the world with hardly any black people or education of US history (Like SE Asia for example). I can think of a specific teaching moment recently on a basketball subreddit where a zoomer baby just did not get it.

The distinction is important. Ignorance can be prevented to some degree.
Uh…okay this is a bit much. Nothing good to be gained from being this hyperbolic.

The tools were largely named after primates going back to the bungie era and their original logo was one as well. All of the internal tools they use are also references to actual story elements of Halo. Bonobos were what Halsey did her original research testing on for the Spartan program. That other tool that starts with an F I'm forgetting the name of is a character in Halo lore.
I believe the excuse tbh. Do we even know if it was supposed to go live? It could be that they weren't even intending to release it until the 19th so it wasn't ready.
Bonobo is an internal toolset used. This is a fact. Any modder can download it. That part really isn't up for debate. Just the super unfortunate timing.
I wasn't defending anything other than the fact that there is an actual modding tool called Bonobo.

WadeIt0ut

Oct 28, 2017
Iowa
You have the most post ITT and most of them are you trying to downplay people's concerns and pushing theories that excuse 343i and their awful handling of this in some ways or another. You've also repeated the same hollow talking point their community manager put up, the fact that the toolset called Bonobo exists, which was never really in question. The question was what it had to do with the issue. This, to me, reads as an attempt to downplay the situation, as you're saying things like "This is a bit much..." and you for some reason made arguments about "intent matters".

Yeah we already went over that post where I mentioned "super unfortunate timing" when that other guy completely failed to understand what I was saying. I never said it was unfortunate timing I said people were debating whether or not it was.

And literally everything else you tried to sleuth up was me trying to add actual information to the thread because we were trying to find out what any of this stuff people were talking about meant. The thread was an ongoing discussion where different information was coming out over time.

Direct your anger at the actual company you're mad at.

Feb 16, 2022
Yeah we already went over that post where I mentioned "super unfortunate timing" when that other guy completely failed to understand what I was saying. I never said it was unfortunate timing I said people were debating whether or not it was.

And literally everything else you tried to sleuth up was me trying to add actual information to the thread because we were trying to find out what any of this stuff people were talking about meant.

Direct your anger at the actual company you're mad at.
It's just hard not to see your posts as attempts to steer the discussion. Especially since you've been saying things like this without backing it up:

WadeIt0ut

Oct 28, 2017
Iowa
It's just hard not to see your posts as attempts to steer the discussion. Especially since you've been saying things like this without backing it up:

I mean that's fine. I don't particularly care if you think that. I'm literally in the replies to Unyshek three days ago telling him to go back to his team and get the real answer because what he says doesn't make sense.

Believe what I said or don't. It wasn't some bombshell information that is meant to change someone's mind. I literally think some QAnon doucher probably works there and did it on purpose lol.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2022
I mean that's fine. I don't particularly care if you think that. I'm literally in the replies to Unyshek three days ago telling him to go back to his team and get the real answer because what he says doesn't make sense.

Believe what I said or don't. It wasn't some bombshell information that is meant to change someone's mind. I literally think some QAnon doucher probably works there and did it in person lol.
I mean, then post actual stuff that backs up your belief that the pros were right and it was a screwup. Otherwise, you're spouting theories that excused them without actually backing it up. Don't say "this is awful and they must explain this" then say "I heard from people who would know but I won't elaborate that it was a screw up!" later.

Don't be this meme, basically:
im-playing-both-sides-both-sides.gif

WadeIt0ut

Oct 28, 2017
Iowa
I mean, then post actual stuff that backs up your belief that the pros were right and it was a screwup. Otherwise, you're spouting theories that excused them without actually backing it up. Don't say "this is awful and they must explain this" then say "I heard from people who would know but I won't elaborate that it was a screw up!" later.

I never said anything about the pros being right and that it was a screwup. And I said in my original post that I don't actually have any idea what they were told that convinced them it wasn't done intentionally.

I am not naming names when I literally already said I don't agree anyways. That's the complete opposite of playing both sides lol. My connection to the HCS is a personal one. But I am not personally on these private discords.

Feb 16, 2022
I never said anything about the pros being right and that it was a screwup. And I said in my original post that I don't actually have any idea what they were told that convinced them it wasn't done intentionally.

I am not naming names when I literally already said I don't agree anyways. That's the complete opposite of playing both sides lol.
So what was the point of posting that in the first place, then? "I don't know how true this is, and I don't agree with this, but I figure I should spread this anyway"? Give me a break.

WadeIt0ut

Oct 28, 2017
Iowa
So what was the point of posting that in the first place, then? "I don't know how true this is, and I don't agree with this, but I figure I should spread this anyway"? Give me a break.

What I said was true. I said I don't know if what they were told was passed down BS or not. The point of posting it (days ago now) was because it meant that there might have been more information behind the scenes as to what happened. But they've been radio silent since. I figured we were going to hear more on Thursday.

No one in the scene on this private discord they all use is even talking about it anymore at this point. They are all talking about roster moves and if someone is going to buy out Renegade's massive contract. So I never heard anything else about it since.

Last edited:

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
The only logical theory is some racist asshole at 343 put this in to humor themselves and forgot to change it or assumed it would be caught and changed before release. But 343 quality controls are so shit that it slipped through the cracks.

Now what the SHOULD have done is: announce an investigation, find and remove the culprit, announce that the culprit is no longer with the company. Easy peasy.

But this is 343. Who loves avoiding the obvious solutions to their problems. They'd rather make more problems for themselves.