• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
Xbox first parties have historically always launched before BF. It's a huge day to sell not only games but also bundles, limited/collector editions, merchandise and so on.
But they already do have a big first party game releasing before BF: Forza Horizon 5. If they didn't, I would have agreed with you. Forza Horizon is huge. FH4 is actually more popular than Halo MCC and Halo 5 if you look at Xbox's most played games.
Besides, there isn't enough stock of XSX to sell on Black Friday anyway.

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
Whilst the ideal goal would be to align on the 20th anniversary, I think having a December release could be good for the game and gives it a pretty free run. You basically want to launch at a time when there's no competing launches, and here you've got a full month following COD, and seven weeks following Battlefield. Gives people a lot of time to get the hype for those two out of their system and give Halo a go.

From the BETA it's clear that this is a game that impresses when people get it in their hands, so alongside being F2P I think an early December release window is a good thing.

Vico

Jan 3, 2018
Why is that worrying?

It's worrying because the last time a big game got pushed and pushed again until the very last minute before christmas, it turned into a huge fiasco. Of course, different story, but still.

Also, we were told the game was only going to be delayed for polish. A lot of people first thought that it meant a Spring/summer 2021 release, but as it goes it keeps being further out. They seem to be waiting for the very last minute, just so that they stay true to their promise of a holiday 2021 release. With content missing like coop, I feel like it's just useless to fight for such a release date, launching smoothly with a bigger package sometimes in february would be better. They just should be honest about the entire process.

I want Halo to be great. I want Halo asap. It's my favorite franchise in gaming, but with what we've seen, what we hear, we should be worried.

KartuneDX

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
So between this and MP launching separately and 343 indicating co-op would release in Season 2, does Season 1 begin with MP and could co-op possibly release shortly after campaign launch coinciding with Season 2?

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
So between this and MP launching separately and 343 indicating co-op would release in Season 2, does Season 1 begin with MP and could co-op possibly release shortly after campaign launch coinciding with Season 2?
There's no evidence yet that multiplayer is launching separately. Both will likely launch together in December.

Outlaw Torn

Oct 25, 2017
The campaign having its own store page doesn't mean that the campaign and multiplayer are releasing on different dates. Microsoft is most likely listing the game on the store similar to Crackdown 3. The main game is a bundle with the campaign and multiplayer listed as separate games.

Buy Crackdown 3 | Xbox

Time to step up your boom to stop crime as a super-powered Agent in Crackdown 3’s sandbox of mayhem and destruction.

Buy Crackdown 3: Campaign | Xbox

Time to step up your boom to stop crime as a super-powered Agent in Crackdown 3’s sandbox of mayhem and destruction.

alphacat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I am curious how they're going to price this. Is it $60 for a single player campaign? Does it include a battle pass for the F2P MP portion?

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
It's worrying because the last time a big game got pushed and pushed again until the very last minute before christmas, it turned into a huge fiasco. Of course, different story, but still.

Also, we were told the game was only going to be delayed for polish. A lot of people first thought that it meant a Spring/summer 2021 release, but as it goes it keeps being further out. They seem to be waiting for the very last minute, just so that they stay true to their promise of a holiday 2021 release. With content missing like coop, I feel like it's just useless to fight for such a release date, launching smoothly with a bigger package sometimes in february would be better. They just should be honest about the entire process.

I want Halo to be great. I want Halo asap. It's my favorite franchise in gaming, but with what we've seen, what we hear, we should be worried.

Them trying to get this out in December screams "Cyberpunk 2077", like you've missed 20th anniversary month, you've missed Black Friday, you've missed the cutoff for the Game Awards and you're still trying to get this game out this year? Just delay it at this point, honestly.

Oct 25, 2017
What are the next big AAA MS releases after these two? Everything seems years away and that poor showing yesterday didn't give me much hope that this will change soon.

Aw man I thought yesterday's stuff was great. New content for many of their current titles and a bunch of cool stuff coming on game pass. It left me with the impression I'll have plenty of exciting stuff to play on my xbox til years end 😅 with triple A we have a psychonauts, halo and forza lined up and a big third party day one in back 4 blood. Next year we get forza motorsport, redfall, starfield and stalker 2 as a big third party day one on GP and I think we know contraband is 2022 although admittedly we haven't saw that yet.

Now, totally fair if none of that interests you but I don't think that makes it a poor showing or that they don't have games announced and coming.

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
If December 8 really is the date, they should just drop multiplayer early, and delay the Campaign to March so as to spend the extra time polishing and integrating cut features.

They'll have missed Black Friday, a significant part of the Christmas rush, awards season, and will presumably still be whipping their team through the holiday period.

Sipahi

Jan 30, 2021
Aw man I thought yesterday's stuff was great. New content for many of their current titles and a bunch of cool stuff coming on game pass. It left me with the impression I'll have plenty of exciting stuff to play on my xbox til years end 😅 with triple A we have a psychonauts, halo and forza lined up and a big third party day one in back 4 blood. Next year we get forza motorsport, redfall, starfield and stalker 2 as a big third party day one on GP and I think we know contraband is 2022 although admittedly we haven't saw that yet.

Now, totally fair if none of that interests you but I don't think that makes it a poor showing or that they don't have games announced and coming.
Not quite sure if contraband will make it to 2022 as in the e3 press release they stated that they began talks with Microsoft 2 years ago. 3 years of development is not enough. Although we may see Hellblade 2 or some smaller projects like the small unannounced rpg at obsidian.

Oct 25, 2017
Not quite sure if contraband will make it to 2022 as in the e3 press release they stated that they began talks with Microsoft 2 years ago. 3 years of development is not enough. Although we may see Hellblade 2 or some smaller projects like the small unannounced rpg at obsidian.

Right fair enough. Its hard to say thay one is exciting anyway since we haven't actually saw it haha but the general point is there is totally stuff and totally stuff to get jazzed for. Including Halo (since this is off topic lol). Thank you for the clarification though appreciate that .

alphacat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
If December 8 really is the date, they should just drop multiplayer early, and delay the Campaign to March so as to spend the extra time polishing and integrating cut features.

They'll have missed Black Friday, a significant part of the Christmas rush, awards season, and will presumably still be whipping their team through the holiday period.

Agreed.

Avik-G

alt account
Banned
Jul 27, 2021
I was gonna say its a difficult ask to pick between this and Dying Light 2 cause I cant see myself buying both. Then I remembered this will be on Gamepass.

December is looking good if both games make it. :D

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017

Honestly…yeah.

It's not like they really have anything for Q1 next year anyway.

NekoNeko

Coward
Oct 26, 2017
13 month delay for a game that was "content complete" and still ships unfinshed. I need Schreier to write a story about this game.

tok9

Prophet of Truth
Nov 2, 2017
I think it was suggested before that the dates for COD and BF were why we didn't get one for Infinite. If this date is real, I find that hard to believe. Feels like it's still coming in hot despite the year delay

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
After Black Friday and award season? Makes no sense and would never have expected that.
Let's be honest: a FPS game like Halo is extremely unlikely to win the overall GOTY, not even in a weak year like this. Considering that 343 has never made a 90+ MC game (which is practically required for a FPS game to be a serious contender), they would have been naive to base their release strategy around GOTY awards they were unlikely to win anyway.

ryan299

Oct 25, 2017
Surprised it's not 12/31 with the way development seems to be going. Still not convinced this actually releases this year.

Desfrog

Oct 29, 2017
Shame it's gonna miss the Game Awards. Would have been amazing to hear the Halo theme in the orchestral medley they do for nominees.

Streusel

▲ Legend ▲
Dec 28, 2017
does any company actually give a shit about releasing before the game awards?
smash got a 2019 nomination even though it released december 2018

Babu93

Feb 9, 2021
Sorry, not following this "Halo releases two weeks later than we hoped? Delay it to March!" logic.

Vespa

Oct 26, 2017
Nice, excited for it.

I hope they do a nice send-off for H5 in the run-up to release, maybe make 152 easier to hit...

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Sorry, not following this "Halo releases two weeks later than we hoped? Delay it to March!" logic.
It's more that a release date that misses November suggests that this is coming in really hot.

Like you can say that it's "just two weeks later" (really three weeks, I think a lot of people were expecting this the week of November 19) but those are the most significant two weeks of the year when it comes to reading the tea leaves on release dates. Delaying the game past Black Friday and the big 20th anniversary month doesn't seem like something they'd want to do if they didn't absolutely need to, which is a slightly worrying sign.

Plus, there's the campaign co-op thing.

Skiptastic

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Bummer they couldn't hit a few weeks earlier for the 20th anniversary of Combat Evolved, but looking forward to some Halo plays on Christmas Break!

GasProblem

Prophet of Truth
Nov 18, 2017
I wonder if the campaign is on the 8th, if we'll get the multiplayer before or after that.

I hope before, November would be nice.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
13 month delay for a game that was "content complete" and still ships unfinshed. I need Schreier to write a story about this game.

He's been onto it for quite some time now. Probably still talking to people about what's going on, considering that news about this game aren't really stopping.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fine with this. Finally get a new Halo SP game after 6 years. Longest wait for a new Halo.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
lmao. they are not gonna delay a game because of the game awards. way less people care about the actual awards than you might think, it's not the oscars. people just watch for game trailers, and they hand out some awards (with most winners not even able to give a speech).