Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
It was pretty clearly outlined that there were a million other issues that led to Anthem being the way it is. To lay it all on the creative director leaving is pretty ridiculous.
At first all the public saw with BioWare were the highest profile departures as well. People thought Casey Hudson leaving was leaving the rest in good hands but when the key figure of a game production leaves midway through development it can have a ripple effect on the entire progress and focus of the project as it inevitably shifts direction, sometimes becomes rebooted when we don't see it.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Creative Directors are responsible for the vision of the game and making sure that the design teams meet that vision. Neil Druckmann and Miyamota are two iconic creative directors responsible for beloved series.
Indeed, but the equivalent of Neil Druckmann at 343 is Bonnie Ross who is above Chris Lee (Studio Head for HI) who was also above Tim Longo. And when you consider that, it sounds like a case of too many cooks and hierarchy which could be a reason behind the leadership shake up.

But in reality we're talking about one person - albeit in a very key position - in a studio of 800. We can speculate but there's no doubt a gulf of information, detail and context we will never know.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
It was pretty clearly outlined that there were a million other issues that led to Anthem being the way it is. To lay it all on the creative director leaving is pretty ridiculous.
He wasn't the captain, more like the quarter master.

Chris Lee is the captain.

Casey's literally described as the Captain.

EDIT:

Nvm you're talking Chris Lee v. Tim Longo. My mistake.

Kotaku said:
As these questions lingered, the Anthem team faced a major shake-up. In August of 2014, as they continued to prototype and dream about their game, they lost their leader. Casey Hudson, who had directed the beloved Mass Effecttrilogy and was supposed to be creative director on Anthem, was departing. "The foundation of our new IP in Edmonton is complete," he wrote in a letter to the studio, "and the team is ready to move forward into pre-production on a title that I think will redefine interactive entertainment." Jon Warner, a relatively new hire who had worked for Disney before joining EA in 2011, took on the role of game director.

BioWare veterans liked to describe Casey Hudson's Mass Effect team as the Enterprise from Star Trek: They all did what the captain said, and they were all laser-focused on a single destination. (By comparison, they called the Dragon Age team a pirate ship, meandering from port to port until it reached its final destination.) Now, the Enterprise no longer had its Jean-Luc Picard.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Indeed, but the equivalent of Neil Druckmann at 343 is Bonnie Ross who is above Chris Lee (Studio Head for HI) who was also above Tim Longo. And when you consider that, it sounds like a case of too many cooks and hierarchy which could be a reason behind the leadership shake up.

I'm not really making a point to compare, I'm more showing how a creative director leaving (like the two I listed) is rather a big deal. Imagine if Neil left TLOU before it came out, it could have been veeeeeeeeery different.

Fudgepuppy

Oct 27, 2017
I'm imagining him leaving or being moved for very good reasons, most people in the project agreeing with the decision, and Stinkles reading this thread, going "YOU DUMB FUCKS, IF YOU ONLY KNEW!".

LordBaztion

Oct 27, 2017
Lima Perú
In a couple of years we will read a piece on how was the original Longo vision for the game and say, how much better than the final product it was and how it would have saved halo.
/s well, not so much.

I hope it doesn't affect negatively the game. At this point the game is years in developement, probably he left with the groundwork done.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
Pay no attention to the noise and just keep doing what you're doing 343i. I'm counting on you guys. Don't disappoint me. :)

I'm imagining him leaving or being moved for very good reasons, most people in the project agreeing with the decision, and Stinkles reading this thread, going "YOU DUMB FUCKS, IF YOU ONLY KNEW!".
Lol. This is funny.

Oct 27, 2017
What is the role of the creative director exactly ? Does he work on the story of the game too ?

From how Naughty Dog operates, my understanding of it is as follows:

The creative director is responsible for the story, tone and general direction of the game. So they probably say "okay, so act 1 takes place on Earth, then act 2 on Sanghelios as you search for the 'Acapella' (or some other silly Halo-ish name) and act 3 takes place on Installation 7" and they work with the below to make that happen.

The gameplay director is responsible for the nuts and bolts of the gameplay, overseeing balancing, combat encounters, integrating abilities, probably the level design and things like that.

Again, I don't know too much about it and I don't know if all big devs follow a similar structure, but that's what I have picked up from Naughty Dog coverage.

Deleted member 2229

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
At first all the public saw with BioWare were the highest profile departures as well. People thought Casey Hudson leaving was leaving the rest in good hands but when the key figure of a game production leaves midway through development it can have a ripple effect on the entire progress and focus of the project as it inevitably shifts direction, sometimes becomes rebooted when we don't see it.
The fact of the matter is, we don't know what's going on. We know one person left, and while that person is important we know they weren't the overall creative lead on the project. So until we know more, this is just running around screaming for the sake of it. Projects don't live and die by one person alone and if the creative director leaving causes such a ripple then that wasn't the only problem in development.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
Lol why people panic ?

The lead narrative designer of all Batman Arkham series joined 343i for +2 years now and not so long ago he became associate creative director, maybe that he has taken over the vision of the project.

What makes you say that? Microsoft's statement indicates he's left Microsoft altogether.

Tim Longo is ex crystal dynamic who worked on TR Reboot with Gallagher.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
It worked out for UC4.

Kinda, it certainly wasn't ideal due to the work changes they had to do in a short timeframe (they described it has a 3y project made in 2) and Bruce asked to leave because of it.

But yeah, the critical reception and sales were amazing.

Indeed, but the equivalent of Neil Druckmann at 343 is Bonnie Ross

Is she the creative director and writer of Halo Inifinite? Because wiki only says studio head, Evan Wells would be the equivalent in ND I think.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
I think it's more significant that he was moved out of that role, into a role he was clearly not happy with.

So 343i must not have thought he was doing a good job. What that means for the game could go in so many directions but it's not just that he left, safe guess is he was demoted.

But it's not guaranteed to be some terrible thing; could be simply that the role wasn't really needed anymore and he wasn't happy with that. Notice they didn't name anyone a new "creative director."

SunBroDave

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
halo 1 and 2 had messy cycles as well
destiny 1 and 2 also
We were talking about Halo games made post-Halo 2. And Halo 3 turned out great, hence why I didn't mention it.

They did? I get you may not like the games but is there a documented troubled development?!?!
Who said I didn't like Halo? I'll be there day 1 when they finally launch the MCC on PC. And I think the problems with both games' campaigns and H4's multiplayer speak for themselves, but I'll try to find some articles/videos about the two games and let you know

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
Kinda, it certainly wasn't ideal due to the work changes they had to do in a short timeframe (they described it has a 3y project made in 2) and Bruce asked to leave because of it.

Oh yeah, even Neil said that they pretty much trew away half of the work done, and the game suffer some delays for it, but sometimes this changes need to be made.

BIG J

Oct 27, 2017
We were talking about Halo games made post-Halo 2. And Halo 3 turned out great, hence why I didn't mention it.

Who said I didn't like Halo? I'll be there day 1 when they finally launch the MCC on PC. And I think the problems with both games' campaigns and H4's multiplayer speak for themselves, but I'll try to find some articles/videos about the two games and let you know
halo reach?

JaggedSac

Oct 25, 2017
Burbs of Atlanta
The fact of the matter is, we don't know what's going on. We know one person left, and while that person is important we know they weren't the overall creative lead on the project. So until we know more, this is just running around screaming for the sake of it. Projects don't live and die by one person alone and if the creative director leaving causes such a ripple then that wasn't the only problem in development.

Technically, the creative director didn't leave. Tim Longo was no longer creative director a week ago and still worked at 343. He did not like his new role and left. So when he left,he was no longer the creative director.

Oct 27, 2017

Is she the creative director and writer of Halo Inifinite? Because wiki only says studio head, Evan Wells would be the equivalent in ND I think.

You are right but I believe Druckmann was recently promoted to co-studio head.

Super Barrier

Nov 20, 2017
The New Jersey Devils changed their head coach right before their playoff run and ended up winning the Stanley cup. I think 343i has a mega hit coming.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Some of you are getting really defensive in here. This could mean nothing, but in general changing the creative director a year before release isn't a good sign. People said the same thing with Anthem and nobody accused them of doing it just for concern trolling.

People seem to be more interested in a dev leaving the team and the potential doom and gloom this could bring the franchise than any actual information with the game.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017

But in reality we're talking about one person - albeit in a very key position - in a studio of 800. We can speculate but there's no doubt a gulf of information, detail and context we will never know.

It's honestly impossible to talk about "equivalents" here, since every studio's structure is different and the same titles often mean different things (while different titles end up meaning the same). We don't even know if there IS a Neil-Druckmann/Bruce Straley-like person in development here. Someone like Cory Barlog, Hideo Kojima, some central person who's vision the game portrays. It's absolutely possible that 343 functions differently, that it's more producer- or commitee-driven, where the Creative leaders are only really implementing what they have been told to implement.

That's what's making this so impossible to proberly contextualize. Without inside knowledge, "Creative Director" could mean "Most Important Person Without Which The Game Is Going To Be Without Vision" or "Person Who Has To Manage The Guidelines Of Producers And Turn Them Into An Actual Game".

Without the first, your game is fucked. The second one can certainly be replaced, even if that's not ideal of course.

BIG J

Oct 27, 2017
Technically, the creative director didn't leave. Tim Longo was no longer creative director a week ago and still worked at 343. He did not like his new role and left. So when he left,he was no longer the creative director.
shhh....
dont read the details
just go AAAHHHH 343 is screwed!!! Anthem 2

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
So he was the creative director but that didn't mean he was in charge of the game and it's direction? These titles sometimes lol.

Game will probably still be great. Everything we've seen and interviews I've read about what kinda game it is sounds great. Doubt there will be a major shift creatively this late in production.

Charcoal

Nov 2, 2017
I would imagine most of the structure, systems, and story beats are mostly finalized at this point, no?