• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
The simple existence of Hayabusa means you are wrong:
latest

b27e3ea951c0b52c52a145518fe5be25.jpg

You are not wrong tho.
Most helmets were trash.

You say that as if outside of ODST(and its variants) and like the Mark xxx.
Halo ever had actually good Helmets
343 atleast had a number you could choose from that were decent.

Even reach had a limited number of good helmets:
fb6999d191e792f46adb275837e8df57.jpg

Halo 3
1449833458_d695f75209_o.gif

I prefer the Reach and 3 design aesthetic far more than what we have here and in 4.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I prefer the Reach and 3 design aesthetic far more than what we have here and in 4.

But theres only like 2 good designs from Halo 3 and Halo Reach.
Halo 5 had a decent amount of good helmets.
Tis why pretty much everyone in those games was rocking the same Helmets because most of the other helmets were trash.
I know its subjective but god damn Halo 3 and Halo Reach had like 90% trash helmets what aesthetic was there to prefer?

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Not a fan of the snowman. Three bridges too far.
We're just getting started lol

With Infinite being a true service game armor and coatings are going to get wild and I can't wait to see what they offer over time. They have a ton of potential for crossovers and event armors like that snowman that should keep that unlock grind fresh if you work through all of the battlepasses (since you can revisit any battlepass).

Oct 25, 2017
But theres only like 2 good designs from Halo 3 and Halo Reach.
Halo 5 had a decent amount of good helmets.
Tis why pretty much everyone in those games was rocking the same Helmets because most of the other helmets were trash.
I know its subjective but god damn Halo 3 and Halo Reach had like 90% trash helmets what aesthetic was there to prefer?

I like Reach's more grounded takes on helmets than 4s overdesigned helmets. I didn't care for most of any helmet in 4, so 3/Reach win by virtue of having at least something to like.

The pictures you posted, you may not like, but for me are vastly preferable to the atrocious designs presented in this thread, or Halo 4.

SGJin

Feb 23, 2018
latest

Hayabusa was not even a pure bungie design, it was a crossover with DoA4. Which is the main reason it has never came back since Halo 3.
unnamed-file-73.jpg

DoA 4 got Spartan-458 Nicole as a guest character and a Halo stage. There was also a warthog easter egg in the Vegas Level.
491821-dead_or_alive_4_20051021052818440.jpg

Barrel Cannon

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
latest

b27e3ea951c0b52c52a145518fe5be25.jpg

You are not wrong tho.
Most helmets were trash.

You say that as if outside of ODST(and its variants) and like the Mark xxx.
Halo ever had actually good Helmets
343 atleast had a number you could choose from that were decent.

Even reach had a limited number of good helmets:
fb6999d191e792f46adb275837e8df57.jpg

Halo 3
Haha I love Hayabusa too. I just meant as a whole I dig the new ones more.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I like Reach's more grounded takes on helmets than 4s overdesigned helmets. I didn't care for most of any helmet in 4, so 3/Reach win by virtue of having at least something to like.

The pictures you posted, you may not like, but for me are vastly preferable to the atrocious designs presented in this thread, or Halo 4.

Errr...pretty much every Halo 3 and Halo Reach Helmet is in Halo 4 and Halo 5.
So the choices you had in Halo 3 and Halo Reach are still there minus redundancies, "ODST and Grenadier Variants".
You just have even more options?

Heck in Halo 3 ODST and Mark XX are the only good ones until you unlock Hayabusa so you only realistically have 2 options.
Halo Reach again Mark XX and ODST Variants....maybe Grenadier too.

From the early sculpts you can see all your "favorites" are coming back.
YOu just have more options....not sure why more options is worse?

dnev54vinjg71.jpg

Hoggle

Mar 25, 2021
Hopefully you can default to everyone appearing like a standard Spartan. Seems weird, but this trend of every game having cosmetics that make every character look moronic really annoys me. Feels like multiplayer games are slowly loosing their identity and it feels a bit cheap.

Oct 25, 2017
Errr...pretty much every Halo 3 and Halo Reach Helmet is in Halo 4 and Halo 5.
So the choices you had in Halo 3 and Halo Reach are still there minus redundancies, "ODST and Grenadier Variants".
You just have even more options?

Heck in Halo 3 ODST and Mark XX are the only good ones until you unlock Hayabusa so you only realistically have 2 options.
Halo Reach again Mark XX and ODST Variants....maybe Grenadier too.

From the early sculpts you can see all your "favorites" are coming back.
YOu just have more options....not sure why more options is worse?

dnev54vinjg71.jpg

Because even the same helmets in the different games have slight variations, and I prefer the 3/Reach iterations. Halo 4 in particular features spartan designs which look over designed, which is evident throughout their entire body.

For example, I like the recon helmet in Reach. I do not care for the Halo 4 iteration because it loses some it's simplicity in pursuit of "detail."

So that, combined with the atrocities in the first post... not a fan.

Oct 25, 2019
It's funny how people rag on the art style of the armour (and 343i in general) as not "being Halo" as if 343i hasn't been in charge of Halo and making all things Halo since 2011 (even earlier than that if we count the fact that 343i existing well prior to 2011 and was in charge of everything outside of the games for atleast 2 years prior).

javiergame4

Oct 27, 2017
No brainer that Microsoft wanted that fortnite casual market to buy skins and etc… I just hope we can turn off these settings whenever I do ranked playlists.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
People should realize that you can't put any helmet on any armor anymore. The customization is split in "Armor cores". So the classic Reach armors can only be put on the classic looking armor core. The samurai style armor is confirmed to be another core we get for free at launch. From the picture I would guess the steampunk looking stuff will be another armor core. If you want to mix these armors, you just can't.

While I really like a lot of these leaked helmets, it's absolutely frustrating why 343i decided to restrict them so much. Want some nice steampunk style shoulders, samurai legs and classic Halo helmet? Nope, not possible.

But what about frosty core? :O

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
It's funny how people rag on the art style of the armour (and 343i in general) as not "being Halo" as if 343i hasn't been in charge of Halo and making all things Halo since 2011 (even earlier than that if we count the fact that 343i existing well prior to 2011 and was in charge of everything outside of the games for atleast 2 years prior).

a lot of people just never liked 343s take on Halo art.
Though I gotta say, these are much more in line with Halo 2, 3 and Reach and feel like a departure from the Halo 4 and 5 nonsense, so I don't understand the complaints.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
People should realize that you can't put any helmet on any armor anymore. The customization is split in "Armor cores". So the classic Reach armors can only be put on the classic looking armor core. The samurai style armor is confirmed to be another core we get for free at launch. From the picture I would guess the steampunk looking stuff will be another armor core. If you want to mix these armors, you just can't.

While I really like a lot of these leaked helmets, it's absolutely frustrating why 343i decided to restrict them so much. Want some nice steampunk style shoulders, samurai legs and classic Halo helmet? Nope, not possible.
They already said they're looking into changing this.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
If we are going down the road of cross over armor, Fulgore and KI needs to be represented!

Oct 25, 2019
a lot of people just never liked 343s take on Halo art.
Though I gotta say, these are much more in line with Halo 2, 3 and Reach and feel like a departure from the Halo 4 and 5 nonsense, so I don't understand the complaints.

For sure, people can have different opinions about what style they prefer. I guess my observation is, that 343i has been in charge of Halo longer than Bungie was, released more games, novels, movie etc. and has established most of the universe and franchise, and in doing so attracted new fans.

The endless online argument that Halo should be solely defined and compared to what it was over a decade ago just strikes me as odd when usually we want new things as an audience. It also completely ignores that there are people who enjoy and perhaps prefer what has come since and want to see new things as well. It can be a mix of old and new without needing to demonise one or the other.

Edit: not to accuse you specifically of this. Perhaps my post is not as relevant in this thread as it is a broader observation of the fandom.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
I've always been in the camp of keep it authentic or go nuts, no in between.

I'm okay with this.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
For sure, people can have different opinions about what style they prefer. I guess my observation is, that 343i has been in charge of Halo longer than Bungie was, released more games, novels, movie etc. and has established most of the universe and franchise, and in doing so attracted new fans.

The endless online argument that Halo should be solely defined and compared to what it was over a decade ago just strikes me as odd when usually we want new things as an audience. It also completely ignores that there are people who enjoy and perhaps prefer what has come since and want to see new things as well. It can be a mix of old and new without needing to demonise one or the other.

Edit: not to accuse you specifically of this. Perhaps my post is not as relevant in this thread as it is a broader observation of the fandom.

i think what you're saying is relevant. But I think it's important to note that new isn't necessarily better. 343s art direction was a large departure from the well received style that came before it, and that turned people off. It also hasn't been particularly consistent between 343s properties. So yes 343 has been at this for a while, but the whole time there's been an not-insignificant portion of the base that has something else in mind when it comes to Halo art.