• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
Halo CE was def made for LAN and small teams (2v2)

Halo 2 was pretty damn good but has a lot of annoying glitches

Halo 3 is top tier MP. Its my most played MCC halo. I fuckin love it.

Halo Reach is... weird. But I can play it and just be annoyed when the bullshit fucks me.

Halo 4 Infinity is the worst Halo has EVER been
Halo 4 Legendary is solid.

Halo 5 MP is REALLY good but I vastly prefer the more simplistic Halo 3 combat.
This is a good summary of how I feel although I prefer 2 over 3. I think if you take the balance of 5's weapon sandbox, taper back on spartan abilities for a more classic sentiment then Halo Infinite will be in a really good place. I'm all for the return of equipment if it's better than Halo 3's implenmentation which slowed down engagements too much.

zoabs

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 7, 2018
This is a good summary of how I feel although I prefer 2 over 3. I think if you take the balance of 5's weapon sandbox, taper back on spartan abilities for a more classic sentiment then Halo Infinite will be in a really good place. I'm all for the return of equipment if it's better than Halo 3's implenmentation which slowed down engagements too much.

Agreed. Loved the grav lift and bubble shield to a smaller extent.

Hated everything else.

I wouldn't be surprised if the grapple hook is an "equipment" in multiplayer.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Halo 5 Mythic was probably the best version of Halo in over a decade.

Oct 26, 2017
For multiplayer rankings my take is:

Halo 3 > Halo 2:A > Halo 2 > Halo 5 Mythic Slayer >>> Halo 5 > Halo CE > Halo 4 Legendary Slayer > Halo: Reach >>>>>>>> Halo 4 Infinity Slayer

Reach is a hard one cause I have great memories with the game, but solely judging it by gameplay mechanics blooms, AAs, and sandbox balancement are wretched.

Halo 5 Mythic was probably the best version of Halo in over a decade.

If it weren't for the H2BR, melee range and lock-on, and some of the map design being way too tight, it would be a whole lot better. I loved that mode almost on par with the classics.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
If Infinite has sprint I will be mightily disappointed and I'll express that disappointment but it won't necessarily be the ultimate deathblow of Infinite I'll have to see the game overall.

Agreed. Loved the grav lift and bubble shield to a smaller extent.

Hated everything else.

I wouldn't be surprised if the grapple hook is an "equipment" in multiplayer.
Yeah I was guessing that the grapple hook was either an equipment pickup or a secondary fire on a gun which on paper is fine if it's a limited use.

Quellyford

May 16, 2020
Halo 5 gameplay is definitely a good time, and appreciate that a lot of people are putting it in their top 2/top 3 of all time Halo multiplayers.

I'd go Halo 2>Halo 3>Halo 5>everything else, but nostalgia is likely speaking more than anything else.

Oct 26, 2017
I have trouble thinking about how a grappling hook would even be implemented into Halo's multiplayer though. If you could use it anywhere and at anytime that would break a lot of map design, unless it was a passive ability that could only be used with certain sections of the map. How would it interact with enemies? Would you be pulled toward them or them toward you? What about vehicles?

If anything I'd prefer Apex style ziplines on some maps. Could give you a speed boost at the cost of moving in a linear, predictable direction. They could also be used vertically as a shortcut in certain parts of the map. Though I feel this role is even already filled by gravity lifts and launchers. I think more momentum based physics are the way to go instead of sprint.

JonCha

Oct 29, 2017
UK
I have trouble thinking about how a grappling hook would even be implemented into Halo's multiplayer though. If you could use it anywhere and at anytime that would break a lot of map design, unless it was a passive ability that could only be used with certain sections of the map. How would it interact with enemies? Would you be pulled toward them or them toward you? What about vehicles?

If anything I'd prefer Apex style ziplines on some maps. Could give you a speed boost at the cost of moving in a linear, predictable direction. They could also be used vertically as a shortcut in certain parts of the map. Though I feel this role is even already filled by gravity lifts and launchers.

Could be a map pick-up where, as said above, you have to drop a weapon for it. Maybe you even have to drop a primary weapon which raises the stakes and the hook would be time-limited? Imagine a situation where you're playing CTF, the hook spawns but you have the sniper rifle and you have 30 seconds left on the clock. I'm just riffing here though; I don't think it'll be in.

I also forgot how good that Halo 3 intro was/is. Can't wait to play that again.

btags

Oct 26, 2017
Gaithersburg MD
I don't consider myself anywhere near a hardcore Halo MP person, but I have no problems with Sprint.

Sprint and clamber feel to me like mobility options that lower the barrier to entry for less skilled players.

Can't master the layout of a map to get away at normal speed? Sprint gives you an option albeit at the cost of no shield regen.

Can't quite nail some of those forward-facing jumps? Clamber gives you a save at the cost of a few seconds of vulnerability.

Every time I've had my ass handed to my in Halo 5, it was by players who were still using default speed and some ninja jumping skills.

However... I do agree that maps shouldn't be designed around clamber/sprint.
I like your thinking, pal.

Oct 26, 2017
Could be a map pick-up where, as said above, you have to drop a weapon for it. Maybe you even have to drop a primary weapon which raises the stakes and the hook would be time-limited? Imagine a situation where you're playing CTF, the hook spawns but you have the sniper rifle and you have 30 seconds left on the clock. I'm just riffing here though; I don't think it'll be in.

I also forgot how good that Halo 3 intro was/is. Can't wait to play that again.
Well there are a lot of options of how it can be added to the sanbox, but my concern is how it will interact in the sandbox.

I could get behind it if there are certain points on a map that the grappling hook could be used on to allow you to access higher positions or travel to lower or horizontal positions faster. So it would be a passive ability that can only be used when a prompt appears in a designated grappling zone. I don't know what button would be assigned to it, but if sprint is out then maybe whatever button that was, or maybe something on the d-pad. The prompt could also be used on certain enemies or vehicles, too. For example, if you get behind a hunter, a prompt will come up where you can use the grappling hook to rip off its armor on its back to expose its weak point. It could also be used on armored parts of vehicles or maybe sweet spots that will deal bonus vehicle damage.

Although if grappling hooks can be used to hijack vehicles, it should not be a passive ability because that could break vehicle gameplay and should be a map pickup in that case. Ultimately, I wouldn't want to see a Titanfall 2 style grappling hook.

zoabs

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 7, 2018
Well there are a lot of options of how it can be added to the sanbox, but my concern is how it will interact in the sandbox.

I could get behind it if there are certain points on a map that the grappling hook could be used on to allow you to access higher positions or travel to lower or horizontal positions faster. So it would be a passive ability that can only be used when a prompt appears in a designated grappling zone. I don't know what button would be assigned to it, but if sprint is out then maybe whatever button that was, or maybe something on the d-pad. The prompt could also be used on certain enemies or vehicles, too. For example, if you get behind a hunter, a prompt will come up where you can use the grappling hook to rip off its armor on its back to expose its weak point. It could also be used on armored parts of vehicles or maybe sweet spots that will deal bonus vehicle damage.

Although if grappling hooks can be used to hijack vehicles, it should not be a passive ability because that could break vehicle gameplay and should be a map pickup in that case. Ultimately, I wouldn't want to see a Titanfall 2 style grappling hook.

It will probably be a Batman style hydraulic grapple if anything. Just pulls you to the point of impact. Titanfall 2/apex grapples would be the worst thing for Halo. It would trivialize objective/power weapon plays so I'd hope they don't do that (as much as I love the grapple in those games)

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For multiplayer rankings my take is:

Halo 3 > Halo 2:A > Halo 2 > Halo 5 Mythic Slayer >>> Halo 5 > Halo CE > Halo 4 Legendary Slayer > Halo: Reach >>>>>>>> Halo 4 Infinity Slayer

Good stuff. I'd probably but Halo CE a bit higher, but probably only for nostalgia's sake. It's hard to objectify my feelings on a game from 20 years ago that was so revolutionary.

Oct 26, 2017
Good stuff. I'd probably but Halo CE a bit higher, but probably only for nostalgia's sake. It's hard to objectify my feelings on a game from 20 years ago that was so revolutionary.
CE is only that low for lack of sandbox variety or versatility, terrible spawns in 2v2, and the lethality of vehicle splattering. I think it's a fun game but all the games I ranked higher outdo it almost everywhere.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
CE is only that low for lack of sandbox variety or versatility, terrible spawns in 2v2, and the lethality of vehicle splattering. I think it's a fun game but all the games I ranked higher outdo it almost everywhere.

Yeah, the future games are miles ahead of it mechanically and feature wise, but it just holds such a special place in my heart!

BradC00

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The other reason would probably be bad map design since 343 have been less than stellar with their maps, at least when compared to some of the phenomenal maps from the original trilogy.

I've been playing a bunch of MCC lately. I have nostalgia for CE but the other games I don't really, so I won't comment on that game. There are def some bangers in h2 (reach really doesn't have shit) but there is also a lot of trash like turf in h2 or swordbase in reach. H4s maps were def garbage tier for the most part minus Haven but 343 stepped it up for H5. Just sucks there wasn't more non forged comp maps. H3 seems to have the best maps, especially for comp play out of the entire series.

zoabs

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 7, 2018
I've been playing a bunch of MCC lately. I have nostalgia for CE but the other games I don't really, so I won't comment on that game. There are def some bangers in h2 (reach really doesn't have shit) but there is also a lot of trash like turf in h2 or swordbase in reach. H4s maps were def garbage tier for the most part minus Haven but 343 stepped it up for H5. Just sucks there wasn't more non forged comp maps. H3 seems to have the best maps, especially for comp play out of the entire series.

I won't disagree that there were a LOT of bad maps in bungie's halos, but at least the bad maps had character. Snowbound, Isolation, and Epitaph (at launch especially) were awful maps but at least they were visually memorable. The same can't be said about 343s maps.

But yes, I do think there are some rose-tinted goggles on with Bungie's map design and, in general, people are overly harsh on 343's map design in Halo 5.

Oct 26, 2017
Halo 5's were serviceable but nothing notable, a lot of the maps felt way to similar and some were even designed intentionally to feel similar which were those map remixes. None of them felt special or unique to me. They're definitely improving, though.

There are bad maps in all the games, but I don't think 4 or 5 have any map that reaches the heights of Bungie's installments in my opinion. Zanzibar, Lockout, Midship, The Pit, Blood Gulch, and a whole lot more are on another level.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
Speculation:

cortana can't use guardians on the ring, because if she does emp it, itll release the flood. or perhaps she does and the flood does get released? I also think the banished will stay relevant after the story of infinite.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

Biosnake

Oct 25, 2017
Sprint is a big divide in the Halo community and the discussion of it will probably never end, if you don't like the discussion you're in for a bad time.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sprint is a big divide in the Halo community and the discussion of it will probably never end, if you don't like the discussion you're in for a bad time.
Tbh I still don't understand why MS doesn't grab another studio to make halo games in the vein of the OG trilogy while 343 can maintain their own style so everyone wins and MS has more halo. Its a win-win and would stop the bulk of the argumentation then and there since everyone could get what they want. Cod does this and it works pretty damn well.

Uncle Sensei

Oct 25, 2017
Sprint, no Sprint, whatever.
Just give me some decent maps with a variety of locales this time. No more unsc bases and nothing else

jem

Oct 25, 2017
Sprint isn't going anywhere.

No matter how much you hate it - it's gunna be in Infinite. Might as well either just accept it or give up on the game.

SoSchwifty

Jan 3, 2020
I can give an incredibly impressive list of reasons why sprint is stupid on nearly every aspect of design and combat flow and the only reason people have ever given me for it's inclusion is "it keeps my ADHD sedate" or "but [mediocre game] has it!"

Plenty of other games have sprint and plenty of people who actually design games for a living that sell millions have made games with sprint. You can try and act like you are right but you would just be wrong and to act like you are more right than the people that do this for a living is just stupid...

Status
Not open for further replies.