• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When will Halo Infinite be revealed?

• Yes, before E3

Votes: 13 11.8%
  • Yes, during E3

Votes: 20 18.2%
  • Wait, E3 was canceled

Votes: 32 29.1%
  • Daisy, Daisy...

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I will not... allow you... to leave. This. PLANET!

Votes: 14 12.7%
  • Halo's just dad.

Votes: 29 26.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Valiant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What is old Halogaf? I think I was in there a year or so before Reach released, but there were lots of people from even before then. I miss those days.

Old Halo GAF checking in.

I remember the one time we went up against Bungie crew in REACH. Needless to say we got destroyed.

Hit me up. Ultima Pooh is my gamer tag and I have the PC version.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
idk I vaguely remember Defect as a name but otherwise don't remember. Old HaloGAF being anyone from the 3 and Reach days. I feel like a bunch moved to PC.

I've come to this realization. 100% bloom was AWFUL. But the TU bloom isn't too bad.

I've always found it odd how we absolutely destroyed people in Reach. The lopsided shit on kids games felt more prevalent there than in Halo 3, or 4 or 5. I thought it was maybe when I was at peak Halo skill, or the matchmaking didn;t skill match well and had a bigger population or something.

But now I think bloom might actually have something to do with it. A lot of people pray to the slot machine and spam the shots. But if you know when to spam and when to pace, it feels like you are a good tier above most other players. In the other games they needed to just aim well and with the friendly aim assist any idiot can get their headshots.

It's still frustrating to get killed by a lucky spam but it also weirdly feels good knowing I can outshoot people easier in this halo than the others.

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
idk I vaguely remember Defect as a name but otherwise don't remember. Old HaloGAF being anyone from the 3 and Reach days. I feel like a bunch moved to PC.

I've come to this realization. 100% bloom was AWFUL. But the TU bloom isn't too bad.

I've always found it odd how we absolutely destroyed people in Reach. The lopsided shit on kids games felt more prevalent there than in Halo 3, or 4 or 5. I thought it was maybe when I was at peak Halo skill, or the matchmaking didn;t skill match well and had a bigger population or something.

But now I think bloom might actually have something to do with it. A lot of people pray to the slot machine and spam the shots. But if you know when to spam and when to pace, it feels like you are a good tier above most other players. In the other games they needed to just aim well and with the friendly aim assist any idiot can get their headshots.

It's still frustrating to get killed by a lucky spam but it also weirdly feels good knowing I can outshoot people easier in this halo than the others.

My group in 10 years of gaming has never created lopsided victories like we did in Reach, I genuinely felt awful. We definitely made people quit the game, it was because team shotting/coordination was so powerful and especially because what you mentioned, average players just spammed DMR and it sucked butt like that.

At one point we went like 4 months without losing in Invasion and we are just a buncha average Joe's, but the teamwork and strategy made all the difference.

In no Halo or another shooter game have we ever duplicated that level of success. I think the MM just worked differently

Oct 25, 2017
When I saw it, I thought it fit the Reach vibe fairly well, but similarly to when we got CEA back in 2011 and then the same one was used in Halo 4, I imagine this new intro is for Halo Infinite.

I'll be sad if they get rid of the EOOOOWOOSH intro. I always liked it and the Forerunner feel fits better than the "scratched up military metal" look.

Also, I guess I'd forgotten about some of Reach's quirks. I thought the "park yourself far enough away and take potshots at the Wraith that won't respond" was only in Halo 3.

Reach Legendary is as dumb and frustrating as I remember. Machine gun/homing FRG turrets... who let that get through QA.

HTupolev

Oct 27, 2017
Also, I guess I'd forgotten about some of Reach's quirks. I thought the "park yourself far enough away and take potshots at the Wraith that won't respond" was only in Halo 3.
I really wish that post-Halo-1 Bungie hadn't gotten the idea in their heads that every enemy attack needed to have a considerable chance of killing you directly in order to have a meaningful role. Grunt-thrown plasma grenades, wraith shots, flood infection forms, they were all well-telegraphed ways of keeping you on your feet but would almost never kill you if you were paying attention and had kept your movement options open. Which was fine.

You couldn't unlock the pieces you wanted from the start in Reach, either. It's called progression and is actually fun unlike that RNG bullshit from 5
I remember the progression, I don't remember it being fun. It was just a stupid grind.

Although, my distaste was probably in part because I saw the writing on the wall and what it would mean for future games. Even during Halo 3 I figured that the progression system would eventually be expanded and include gameplay unlocks and become monetized. Once that happened, it's not surprising that randomness came with it, it's just gambling psychology.
If you played Reach under the impression that its progression system was a stable plan for the future rather than a testing of the waters to acclimate Halo players into more-obnoxious systems, I guess you could have avoided some of the bad taste that was in my mouth.

Oct 17, 2018
The progression in this feels shit tbh. Like great! I've gotten 5 season points! Oh but I have to use them on these 5 things and nothing else, how fun. I just want Mark V but I don't like Reach enough to get to Tier 60.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
The battle pass system is a little weird. I guess it makes sense if you want to store points for future rewards but they should have just unlocked automatically. Still, a much better system then unlocking random shit via req packs. Really hope we see a similar feature that's way more refined and fleshed out for unlocking things in Infinite, too.

Also while Team Hardcore is the go to playlist it can get stale rather quick considering it only has 6 maps. Did MLG always have just 6 or did they leave out some maps? It needs way more than 6.

Oct 26, 2017
The battle pass system is a little weird. I guess it makes sense if you want to store points for future rewards but they should have just unlocked automatically. Still, a much better system then unlocking random shit via req packs. Really hope we see a similar feature that's way more refined and fleshed out for unlocking things in Infinite, too.

I believe they said you can return to past seasons to continue unlocking items, so I think that's why they are doing the point system for more flexibility in how ranking up relates to progression via battle pass.

The progression in this feels shit tbh. Like great! I've gotten 5 season points! Oh but I have to use them on these 5 things and nothing else, how fun. I just want Mark V but I don't like Reach enough to get to Tier 60.

You do not only have to play Reach to progress and rank up, it is universal to all games in MCC.

AustinFordGames

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
New Braunfels, Texas
Yeah Gungnir is like in the 80s. I have to grind to look how I want? I have Destiny for that shit.

I'm happy there are unlocks but I wish it was done a bit differently. Like all unlocks free to choose but some of the fancier ones taking 2 or 3 points instead of one.
This. I was surprised that they award you a point, when literally everything only costs 1 point. don't give me the point, give me the unlock if you're going to do it like that.

But even then, I'd rather it be a gallery of items to unlock, and having to choose between the CQB being 1 point or the Pilot Skull variant costing 5 or more.

Oct 26, 2017
Great! Lemme just hop on MCC Halo 3 on PC real quick. Oh wait.
giphy.gif

Keep forgetting you PC folk exist now... Well, hang in there?

Haruko

Oct 25, 2017
What gametypes are in the Action Sack?

I remember fun ones from Reach like Skee-ball (Haloball) and Hockey yet the only one i've seen so far is (ugh) Dino Blasters

Rodeo Clown

Dec 14, 2017
I totally feel the same way. I've used EOD since H3 and while it cost some small amount of credits to unlock in Reach originally, I have to play many hours to unlock it in Reach MCC since it's a level 20-something unlock. I have to go through so many pieces of armor I have no interest in using to get the one helmet that I want and that sucks.

Karl2177

Oct 25, 2017
The thing I'm confused on is what future seasons will have to unlock. Mind you I haven't touched the Xbox version yet, but there's a finite amount of old content that exists to even put in. Unless they're going into some of the experimental stuff like the GRD helmet.

Also, has anyone modded Unearthed to have a chaingun hog?

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The thing I'm confused on is what future seasons will have to unlock. Mind you I haven't touched the Xbox version yet, but there's a finite amount of old content that exists to even put in. Unless they're going into some of the experimental stuff like the GRD helmet.

Are armor effects and whatnot in the unlocks?

Remember when reach was constant grunt bday party?

Oct 26, 2017
I really think Forge World was the last great thing a Halo game had to offer, just driving around it in a Warthog brings back so many great memories I had with friends there, everyone I knew left Halo after 4 released. Even if it ends up being an amazing game, I don't think Infinite will be able to recreate those good times for me, but I hope it can for others and new fans.

Deleted member 20284

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I really think Forge World was the last great thing a Halo game had to offer, just driving around it in a Warthog brings back so many great memories I had with friends there, everyone I knew left Halo after 4 released. Even if it ends up being an amazing game, I don't think Infinite will be able to recreate those good times for me, but I hope it can for others and new fans.

Yep, when I saw my son making puzzle maps with his buddies in Fortnite instead of Halo Forge I indeed felt a bang of "I am the old Halo man now". Hopefully Infinite sparks and ignites a few different cylinders with new generations and fans.

Deleted member 1238

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It's not like they need a ton of stuff. They just need to last until Halo Infinite.

Last edited:

The Henery

Nov 3, 2017
Two big sessions played, thoughts, observations, whines:

Fall damage is yuk!

I'm in the UK and EVERY match I've played in the around seven hours total game time has been on a "US East" server. I literally don't know what this game feels like not playing on a host the other side of the Atlantic Ocean.

Character is very heavy legged. A friend commented immediately on playing his first game "It feels like I'm welded to the floor". Spartan momentum is horrible, can't properly turn while sprinting, big delay from stopping sprinting to being able to fire.

Camo users are scum.

Armour Abilities were a gigantic mistake (obviously). I didn't realise quite how broken the jetpack was until I used it myself with regularity (kudos for the "jumper jumper setting included. Why wasn't that patched in originally?)

Aim assist feels lower than in the original (from my memory of it).

Big gangs of sweats everywhere already. Must they ruin everything big team based in Halo now? Had to quit a Paradiso game (Paradiso!) because they had our team on a systemised spawn farm with the Banshee and tank.

High Noon is deeply inappropriate for 8v8.

For the first few hours of playing the game (first time since... 2012?) I really missed ledge grab and the hover stabilise ability.

Halo 5 really is the true sequel and worthy successor to Halo 3. Reach and 4 were very costly aberrations. Having all the Spartan Abilities integrated as one set which everybody spawns with equally was how it should have been done in 2010. Halo 5's ability set and mechanics all work cohesively as a holistic whole whereas Reach's abilities feel like "ideas" superimposed onto the golden triangle with no regard for balance or map design.

Despite all that, I've still found Reach to be quite addictive and it's successfully held my attention for the last two nights when I'd normally be playing PUBG.

Oh and Headhunter is still awesome, dizzy fun and they should've kept it in subsequent Halos. Looking forward to Multi Team Headhunter in this game!

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
I still don't understand why 343i didn't get Certain Affinity to make BTB maps for Halo 5.

Haruko

Oct 25, 2017
So I see how to save files from Temporary to Private storage, but not anything for putting them in my File Share.

How does one do that?

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Two big sessions played, thoughts, observations, whines:

Fall damage is yuk!

I'm in the UK and EVERY match I've played in the around seven hours total game time has been on a "US East" server. I literally don't know what this game feels like not playing on a host the other side of the Atlantic Ocean.

Character is very heavy legged. A friend commented immediately on playing his first game "It feels like I'm welded to the floor". Spartan momentum is horrible, can't properly turn while sprinting, big delay from stopping sprinting to being able to fire.

Camo users are scum.

Armour Abilities were a gigantic mistake (obviously). I didn't realise quite how broken the jetpack was until I used it myself with regularity (kudos for the "jumper jumper setting included. Why wasn't that patched in originally?)

Aim assist feels lower than in the original (from my memory of it).

Big gangs of sweats everywhere already. Must they ruin everything big team based in Halo now? Had to quit a Paradiso game (Paradiso!) because they had our team on a systemised spawn farm with the Banshee and tank.

High Noon is deeply inappropriate for 8v8.

For the first few hours of playing the game (first time since... 2012?) I really missed ledge grab and the hover stabilise ability.

Halo 5 really is the true sequel and worthy successor to Halo 3. Reach and 4 were very costly aberrations. Having all the Spartan Abilities integrated as one set which everybody spawns with equally was how it should have been done in 2010. Halo 5's ability set and mechanics all work cohesively as a holistic whole whereas Reach's abilities feel like "ideas" superimposed onto the golden triangle with no regard for balance or map design.

Despite all that, I've still found Reach to be quite addictive and it's successfully held my attention for the last two nights when I'd normally be playing PUBG.

Oh and Headhunter is still awesome, dizzy fun and they should've kept it in subsequent Halos. Looking forward to Multi Team Headhunter in this game!
I wish I could try Halo 5. Yet as much as its praised here, I see a lot of players elsewhere consistently rank it at either the top or bottom. So decisive. But I would agree that I prefer what Halo 5 sounds like to Halo Reach, even if it means more mobility. I hate sprint in Halo because it really feels like it screws the pace and makes things far too unpredictable

I also feel like Im going against really good players and I cant handle them. Getting swatted pretty fast

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Visually, this game still holds up really well. The artstyle is on point. I'm having a good time, but Bloom...lol I forgot how bad it is.

We need more Halos asap.

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
These pc noobs are seriously complaining about controller aim assist. It's the most non issue thing.

These people don't even have to try to noscope me with a sniper across the map.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
These pc noobs are seriously complaining about controller aim assist. It's the most non issue thing.

These people don't even have to try to noscope me with a sniper across the map.
Yeah I am NOT understanding them calling it an aim bot, I've fucking destroyed people with the mouse and yeah like you said snipers is actually easier to NOT scope in and still get a cross map kill lol

Like I get it there is a advantage on paper with aim assist, but it wont make up for everything

Dec 21, 2017
Yeah I am NOT understanding them calling it an aim bot, I've fucking destroyed people with the mouse and yeah like you said snipers is actually easier to NOT scope in and still get a cross map kill lol

Like I get it there is a advantage on paper with aim assist, but it wont make up for everything
Yeah the benefits of mouse and keyboard far outweighs the tiny bit of aim magnetism

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the benefits of mouse and keyboard far outweighs the tiny bit of aim magnetism

So dunno if people are still getting used to it....

But I was watching Summit and Pace play and they were whiffing shots I know I have no issues making with a controller. Like some REAL bad DMR work.

I think in a 1 on 1 fight it would be decently fair. The big PC advantage is being able to whip your aim around really fast. But I think being able to actually 5 shot people is about even tbh.

I think Gigz said he prefers controller.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
One area mouse will absolutely have a huge advantage is at long distance. It's far easier to track and make small adjustments with a mouse than a stick.

Also the sniper

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
One area mouse will absolutely have a huge advantage is at long distance. It's far easier to track and make small adjustments with a mouse than a stick.

Also the sniper
I was playing some customs with the sniper where you are supposed to scope it...........yeah I didn't even need to do that lol

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Gotta say, popping on a game of Reach on my PC is pretty ace.

Just wish there was cross-play across platforms providing controller input was kept distinct from kb/m (tho am playing pad on PC and owning the chumps, 'new' release farm yo). The fact can't even cross-play Firefight and Campaign is really sad. I hope they change that, for the entire collection - at least.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.