jem

Oct 25, 2017
An image that has been claimed to be leaked season 1 helmets.

moxT7wc.png

W2kYRYb.jpg
I don't particularly care about visuals and customisation but stuff like this is just... blergh.

DemonCarnotaur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Images that have been claimed to be leaked season 1 helmets.

moxT7wc.png

W2kYRYb.jpg

MHU4NNa.jpg

If real, it gives me hope we may be able to get legacy characters without helmets -- would be cool if they eventually introduced the ODST or Reach crew like that (and it would be cool if you could choose their voices, rather than the random goofy spartan VO's that exist now)

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
Classic helmets: 😁
Reach helmets: 🙂
Ugly Halo 5 bullshit: 🤮🤮
Whatever the hell that fracture stuff is: 🧐

Señor Sepia

Aug 2, 2020
What
Maybe the snowman is just for a christmas event mode or something like that. I dont like it but i guess there is going to be some crazy stuff because of the battlepass, people like that kinda stuff.

So sad seeing the H5 helmets lol they are so sooo ugly, i can't believe they greenlighted 90% of them.

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
Interesting video that breaks down all base/sprint speeds in Halo:

The most interesting part to me is that you're supposedly moving at around 15mph in Halo 1/2/3. That's pretty much sprinting for any normal person in the real world....yet it feels very slow in-game. Why does it feel that slow? Probably because of the smooth movement and lack of real object reference, i.e. the scale/detail in the games around doesn't match the real world enough to make it actually feel like you're passing things quickly.

edit: also lol at that snowman helmet. 343 going to make Halo look like a circus confirmed. And hasn't data mining showed that there will be death effects as well? If there's stuff like the confetti death effect in Halo Reach that may be enough for me not to play Infinite...seriously.

Last edited:

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting video that breaks down all base/sprint speeds in Halo:

The most interesting part to me is that you're supposedly moving at around 15mph in Halo 1/2/3. That's pretty much sprinting for any normal person in the real world....yet it feels very slow in-game. Why does it feel that slow? Probably because of the smooth movement and lack of real object reference, i.e. the scale/detail in the games around doesn't match the real world enough to make it actually feel like you're passing things quickly.

edit: also lol at that snowman helmet. 343 going to make Halo look like a circus confirmed. And hasn't data mining showed that there will be death effects as well? If there's stuff like the confetti death effect in Halo Reach that may be enough for me not to play Infinite...seriously.

Halo 1-3 feel slow because the FoV is so shallow.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
My takeaway? Assuming this is season 1 and the content is at least somewhat representative of what we can expect going forward, I can tolerate one goofy helmet per season.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
On Thursday we should get the Community Update and maybe a summary of the Flight and a couple stats. Curious what 343i's takeaway was.

Maybe they'll also tell us wether or not they are featured at Gamescom.

Oct 25, 2017
*sigh* Won't be long before Halo is just like random joke heads everywhere. What's next?
It's exactly what I dont want to happen
Wanted them to maintain some semblance of their aesthetic as time went on, rather than progressively devolving into an entire player population of 420 blaze it joke armor and neon snack skins

I'm cool with some armors stretching believably like the yorai armor, it's certainly out-there but it doesn't look like a joke
giant snowman head is definitely a joke
Like if it's a timed exclusive, like something you can only wear around holiday time, sure that's fun, fine
but as a permanent unlock i wouldnt be happy

Last edited:

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
I can tolerate a goofy helm every now an then. I'd take a bunch of goofy helmets of the requisition system any day of the week.

In the spirit of customizing our personal experience, without impacting what other people see.

It would be cool if I could choose to give bots a certain helmet or have birthday party headshots- other players wouldn't see what I'm seeing

Ramirez

Oct 26, 2017
The snowman could literally be a Christmas timed event, no need to lose your minds, lol.

They're starting to push Insider sign ups again, I bet they reveal a PVP flight at Gamescom.

Juan

Oct 28, 2017
The snowman could literally be a Christmas timed event, no need to lose your minds, lol.

As Ramirez said, I'm not too worried for that Snowman helmet to be a permanent one, I think it will be a themed event cosmetic like Destiny use to do, especially for the Holidays:

DestinyDawning.mp4_000074574.jpg

That said, as more and more seasons will come, I'm afraid we might end up at some point with some goofy stuff like CoD did:

Screen_20Shot_202016-10-25_20at_207.05.14_20PM.0.png

Hope it's just a fear that will never come true.

Señor Sepia

Aug 2, 2020
What

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
My takeaway? Assuming this is season 1 and the content is at least somewhat representative of what we can expect going forward, I can tolerate one goofy helmet per season.

Somewhat akin to my post about bot slayer, I'm pretty sure Halo infinite is going to make me happy at those point, so honestly, I want them to be able to capture and retain the biggest audience they can otherwise, if that means a snowman, then so be it.

I'm over trying to protect Halo and hope it's only what I want it to be. I just want Halo to matter again, and I'm sure they have consumer research that indicates this is a way to drive engagement.

So sad seeing the H5 helmets lol they are so sooo ugly, i can't believe they greenlighted 90% of them.

I take back everything I just said, if consumer research says this is what people want, we need a culling.

Snowman > Lesser Mk. V's

hesrightyaknow.gif

Señor Sepia

Aug 2, 2020
What
I'm over trying to protect Halo and hope it's only what I want it to be. I just want Halo to matter again, and I'm sure they have consumer research that indicates this is a way to drive engagement.
I kinda feel the same, i remember not liking the anouncer telling you when a new weapon is going to spawn in 2015, but now i think its ok, i actually feel it fixes a lot of problems regarding teamwork with randos online. Its impossible to keep track of every weapon respawn unless you are some mastermind tactician that knows everything, but now if the sniper is gonna spawn, the game tells you and its gonna affect the teamwork and flow of the combat.

It helps newcomers telling them where the weapons are, but at the end of the day only the best teams are gonna get the power weapon since they are better players.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
I kinda feel the same, i remember not liking the anouncer telling you when a new weapon is going to spawn in 2015, but now i think its ok, i actually feel it fixes a lot of problems regarding teamwork with randos online. Its impossible to keep track of every weapon respawn unless you are some mastermind tactician that knows everything, but now if the sniper is gonna spawn, the game tells you and its gonna affect the teamwork and flow of the combat.

It helps newcomers telling them where the weapons are, but at the end of the day only the best teams are gonna get the power weapon since they are better players.

Weapon announcement/indicators don't only improve the gameplay for newcomers.

I reckon an easy 90% of players aren't consistently timing weapons. By clearly announcing the weapon spawn it means that the team which is better setup will claim it rather than whoever remembers when to grab it. Whilst you lose a small amount of depth in the weapon timing aspect the increased emphasis on controlling the map increases the overall depth of the game for the vast majority of matches.

There's a similar argument which can be applied to power up animations as well.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I reckon an easy 90% of players aren't consistently timing weapons. By clearly announcing the weapon spawn it means that the team which is better setup will claim it rather than whoever remembers when to grab it. Whilst you lose a small amount of depth in the weapon timing aspect the increased emphasis on controlling the map increases the overall depth of the game for the vast majority of matches.

My main issue with this though is that it also assists the experienced players who are not timing weapon spawns. It basically ensures that the newer less experienced players will get dominated trying to get to the power ups and power weapons.

Terin

Oct 31, 2017

Yeah, the voiced announcement of pickups has a lead time of 10 seconds, which is nothing if anyone is vaguely prepared. The display timer is a bit more, but still wasn't past 30 seconds I think, so I'm definitely fine seeing that.

OP
OP
FUNKNOWN iXi

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
Hoping for a healthy recovery btw 💪

Infinite actually factually good. For now.

Funny how Halo 2 SMG's actually turned out to be a counter to Banshees.

i do remember learning that dual SMGs would absolutely wreck a banshee up close, but that was after BR starts turned the Banshee into paper mache anyway lol.

I just remember everyone instantly diverting their combined attention to the Banshee in the sky. Fun times

OP
OP
FUNKNOWN iXi

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
i do remember learning that dual SMGs would absolutely wreck a banshee up close, but that was after BR starts turned the Banshee into paper mache anyway lol.

I just remember everyone instantly diverting their combined attention to the Banshee in the sky. Fun times
Not just up close, try it next time you play Halo 2. Your shots would register from across Ascension lol, SMG had good range and was hitscan. A team peppering the Banshee with SMG's was a good strat, I think even with BR starts.

I could be mistaken, but isn't the Halo 2 SMG better at dealing with the Banshee than the BR? It was that crazy.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
Not just up close, try it next time you play Halo 2. Your shots would register from across Ascension lol, SMG had good range and was hitscan. A team peppering the Banshee with SMG's was a good strat, I think even with BR starts.

I could be mistaken, but isn't the Halo 2 SMG better at dealing with the Banshee than the BR? It was that crazy.

I don't remember that, but can't say I ever tried. I assumed the spread on the SMG would render it useless at range.

the BR was not very good against the banshee on its own. But if everyone focused on it, it was over quickly.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I reckon an easy 90% of players aren't consistently timing weapons. By clearly announcing the weapon spawn it means that the team which is better setup will claim it rather than whoever remembers when to grab it.
My main issue with this is that telling all players when and where a weapon spawns almost guarantees that the more seasoned players will slaughter newer players who go for said powerups/weapons.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
My main issue with this is that telling all players when and where a weapon spawns almost guarantees that the more seasoned players will slaughter newer players who go for said powerups/weapons.

Seasoned players are gonna slaughter them anyway, because they generally understand the concept of map control, even if they don't know exact spawn times.

if the MM system is worth anything, players who are clueless about weapon and power up spawns won't be matching against players who are much better than them. The advantage of understanding this basic aspect of the game would show up in the rankings.

Last edited:

AustinFordGames

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
New Braunfels, Texas
I like the snowman helmet, especially if it's only a timed thing lol

And weapon spawn announcements and weapon/equipment pads letting players know when stuff is coming up is fantastic. The only two things I time out/care enough to time out are power ups and the sniper in Halo 3. The game helping me out by letting me and everyone else know when that stuff will be ready is awesome. I love directed opportunities for engagement like that without needing to be a Halo pro, let alone going against them.