• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
Ay check it out, we may actually be able to use MC's campaign armor in multiplayer --

So excited for this, I just want the option, it looks so damn good.

Although it seems like in the current system helmets and stuff are locked to different bodies (armor cores?)

Which is super super super dissapointing and frankly nonsensical.

Oct 25, 2017
Ay check it out, we may actually be able to use MC's campaign armor in multiplayer --

Geeze I hope so. Would be nice to have the campaign armor in MP again.
I wish one of the spartan voices available would be Chief's too.
Excluding Chief's armor to the detriment of peoples' enjoyment was a weird ass choice. We were all literally Chief for the first couple games and I miss those death yells.
But armor like Yorai may mean they're getting more flexible again, so I hope we can unlock Chief's voice too. That's hot classic halo stuff.

Last edited:
OP
OP
FUNKNOWN iXi

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Looking at the twitter it actually looks like it is from the NDA survey that went out...
Oh, is that the case? Thought it was datamined from the flight.

Perhaps a mod can chime in for this specific scenario: If someone breaks NDA, are we able to post about it? I'd imagine it's the same with datamines and other leaks we can talk openly about, just not story spoilers.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, is that the case? Thought it was datamined from the flight.

Perhaps a mod can chime in for this specific scenario: If someone breaks NDA, are we able to post about it? I'd imagine it's the same with datamines and other leaks we can talk openly about, just not story spoilers.

It goes without saying we shouldn't be breaking NDA, but if someone else does I'd think it would be fair game. It's out there 🤷‍♂️

Glass

Oct 26, 2017
Hnnnggg it looks so good

Keeping Chiefs armour out of multiplayer when it looks that perfect would be a tragedy, just don't use the exact same shade of green, that's enough.

His beat up armour effect would make for a great coating as well.

Last edited:

AustinFordGames

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
New Braunfels, Texas
Does anyone know where Josh Holmes had originally said the team at 343 built a classic Halo experience during the Halo 4 preproduction and decided to scrap it? I feel like it was during HaloFest or something similar either right before Halo 4's launch or shortly thereafter. If anyone has a link to the panel in question, I would SERIOUSLY appreciate it!

OP
OP
FUNKNOWN iXi

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It goes without saying we shouldn't be breaking NDA, but if someone else does I'd think it would be fair game. It's out there 🤷‍♂️
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking.
Does anyone know where Josh Holmes had originally said the team at 343 built a classic Halo experience during the Halo 4 preproduction and decided to scrap it? I feel like it was during HaloFest or something similar either right before Halo 4's launch or shortly thereafter. If anyone has a link to the panel in question, I would SERIOUSLY appreciate it!
Wasn't it that infamous GDC post Halo 4?

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017

I'm pretty sure he also mentioned it in this article somewhere

www.google.com

The Complete, Untold History of Halo

The story behind the Halo franchise as it's never been told—by the key individuals that made it.

Last edited:

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
If Tom Henderson is right about all this Call Of Duty and Battlefield stuff...

Im not sayin Im just sayin

edit: also when tf is Halo gunna launch?

October 22: BF2042
Nov5: COD
Nov9: FH5

There are so many "unwritten rules" this title is going to bump up against

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
Me and my girlfriend finally finished all the campaigns in the MCC. It's time for me to finally play Halo 5. A bit miffed that we can't play splitscreen but what can you do. Played a couple minutes and wow, I thought Halo 4 was a departure, L Trigger aiming down the sights is a bit shocking! I'm open minded but shocked, haha.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
Me and my girlfriend finally finished all the campaigns in the MCC. It's time for me to finally play Halo 5. A bit miffed that we can't play splitscreen but what can you do. Played a couple minutes and wow, I thought Halo 4 was a departure, L Trigger aiming down the sights is a bit shocking! I'm open minded but shocked, haha.

Change it. What a strange move it was to make that default, thank god it has all the classic settings and they work wonderfully.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017

yeah my first order of business is to change from 343s default to classic settings…

If Tom Henderson is right about all this Call Of Duty and Battlefield stuff...

Im not sayin Im just

edit: also when tf is Halo gunna launch?

October 22: BF2042
Nov5: COD
Nov9: FH5

There are so many "unwritten rules" this title is going to bump up against

welp, looks like they'll have to go early October.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
Catching up on the Luis V Titan kill race (saiyan + renegade vs royal2 + snakebite) and having user selected player outline colors is problematic when everyone has their own customizations. Weird. I assume the spectator mode in the game will resolve this.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
www.halowaypoint.com

Technical Tales

<p>It has been a whirlwind couple weeks with the highlight easily being our recent Technical Preview. This was the first time you all got to throwdown against some Bots and go hands-on with part of Halo Infinite‘s sandbox which was a big milestone and source of excitement for us. But that’s not...

aaand nothing of note

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
Or late November. Xbox's are still super hard to find and Black Friday is going to be first real week of console availability.

Also just give 343 even more time.

I personally wouldn't wait for more Xbox Series availability.

plenty of people already have Xbox ones, PCs and xcloud. Get this thing in the wild, before people get a chance to get hooked on other shooters. Series consoles are gonna move units during the Holidays regardless of Halo's release date.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
I personally wouldn't wait for more Xbox Series availability.

plenty of people already have Xbox ones, PCs and xcloud. Get this thing in the wild, before people get a chance to get hooked on other shooters. Series consoles are gonna move units during the Holidays regardless of Halo's release date.
As a F2P multiplayer, people will play it regardless of when it launches compared to the competition. But timing Halo to the first real holiday week where the most people will be buying a console is also a way for them to advertise Halo.

An early October launch would actually drown Halo out because it would go Halo marketing, then Microsoft has to market Battlefield, and then COD wraps up the media attention. Going last and the Microsoft PR machine rolling all December long about F2P Halo and Xbox will actually the most recent game in marketing.

OP
OP
FUNKNOWN iXi

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Separate releases -
  • Multiplayer in October to get ahead of the competition, solidify a foothold while people reconsider that $70 BF2042 and CoD
  • Campaign closer to Black Friday or to close out the year in December

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
As a F2P multiplayer, people will play it regardless of when it launches compared to the competition. But timing Halo to the first real holiday week where the most people will be buying a console is also a way for them to advertise Halo.

An early October launch would actually drown Halo out because it would go Halo marketing, then Microsoft has to market Battlefield, and then COD wraps up the media attention. Going last and the Microsoft PR machine rolling all December long about F2P Halo and Xbox will actually the most recent game in marketing.

id say having an entire month to market Halo exclusively would be invaluable.

they can always have a second push in November with a content drop.

waiting until November to debut Halo would be a mistake as COD and Battlefield will also be marketing heavily to new console owners during that time.

Last edited:

Kibbles

Oct 25, 2017
Separate releases -
  • Multiplayer in October to get ahead of the competition, solidify a foothold while people reconsider that $70 BF2042 and CoD
  • Campaign closer to Black Friday or to close out the year in December
That reminds me, one of the Kinda Funny daily's after the tech test the guy was saying he really thinks the Multiplayer will still release separate from the Campaign. I remember thinking it was odd considering they had delayed it so they wouldn't have to split it, but hell I'd like it. Plus that gives more time to focus on Campaign when it does come out.

OP
OP
FUNKNOWN iXi

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That reminds me, one of the Kinda Funny daily's after the tech test the guy was saying he really thinks the Multiplayer will still release separate from the Campaign. I remember thinking it was odd considering they had delayed it so they wouldn't have to split it, but hell I'd like it. Plus that gives more time to focus on Campaign when it does come out.
Yup, and an additional marketing push as well. Huge franchise like Halo could use the separate attention for both campaign and multiplayer.

Those who play the campaign could then get Chief's armor in multiplayer, maybe some other cool unlocks, sky's the limit by giving each its own spotlight.

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
welp, looks like they'll have to go early October.

id say having an entire month to market Halo exclusively would be invaluable.

they can always have a second push in November with a content drop.

waiting until November to debut Halo would be a mistake as COD and Battlefield will also be marketing heavily to new console owners during that time.

I agree

because as of right now

8/12 - Today
8/12 - 8/16 - BF2042 Tech Preview
8/19 - COD Reveal
8/27 - 8/29 - COD Alpha

9/?? - BF2042 Open Beta
9/10 - 9/21 - COD PlayStation Beta
9/16 - 9/20 - COD Beta For All
9/22 - NBA 2K22

10/01 - FIFA 22
10/07 - Far Cry 6
10/08 - Metroid/New Switch
10/22 - BF2042 Release
10/26 - GOTG

11/5 - COD Release
11/9 - Forza Horizon 5 Release
11/23 - COD Season 1
11/27 - Thanksgiving

12/13 - 12/2X -> U.S. Christmas/Winter Holidays

That is so jam packed, theres no way they release within 2 weeks of the other huge shooters or a holiday, and its probably best to avoid something that sells bonkers like NBA or FIFA. Although being FTP and multiplatform is an entirely new wrinkle for Halo

(I know Halo and Guardians Of The Galaxy dont compete, I'm just painting a picture)

edit: Also GTAV next gen and GTA Top Down Trilogy remaster also both in this time period?

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
I agree

because as of right now

8/12 - Today
8/12 - 8/16 - BF2042 Tech Preview
8/19 - COD Reveal
8/27 - 8/29 - COD Alpha

9/?? - BF2042 Open Beta
9/10 - 9/21 - COD PlayStation Beta
9/16 - 9/20 - COD Beta For All
9/22 - NBA 2K22

10/01 - FIFA 22
10/07 - Far Cry 6
10/08 - Metroid/New Switch
10/22 - BF2042 Release
10/26 - GOTG

11/5 - COD Release
11/9 - Forza Horizon 5 Release
11/23 - COD Season 1
11/27 - Thanksgiving

12/13 - 12/2X -> U.S. Christmas/Winter Holidays

That is so jam packed, theres no way they release within 2 weeks of the other huge shooters or a holiday, and its probably best to avoid something that sells bonkers like NBA or FIFA. Although being FTP and multiplatform is an entirely new wrinkle for Halo

(I know Halo and Guardians Of The Galaxy dont compete, I'm just painting a picture)

edit: Also GTAV next gen and GTA Top Down Trilogy remaster also both in this time period?

Damn that is super packed.

Seeing this list, I'd say the ideal launch would be the last week of September or First week of October. being F2P will be huge for carrying it through NBA and FIFA.

then have a content drop in November to keep up momentum as COD does its thing.

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
Damn that is super packed.

Seeing this list, I'd say the ideal launch would be the last week of September or First week of October. being F2P will be huge for carrying it through NBA and FIFA.

then have a content drop in November to keep up momentum as COD does its thing.

I take it all back

fuck it, Nov 15th

Push your elbows out, make some room

Its Halo time.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not coming out before November. Holiday release means a November or December release. In addition the technical test confirmed that they still need more time to polish and improve things. Qlso, they already stated at E3 that campaign and multiplayer are releasing the same day together.

Welfare

Oct 26, 2017
ah, the old Halo 4 approach
It actually worked. Halo 4 still sold like a Halo game and sold faster in less time to be the fastest selling Xbox game in the US by June 2013.

Halo isn't Titanfall 2 back in 2016 where if it launches close to Battlefield and COD it flops. Halo just needs to retain players. Halo 4 fucked that up even though interest was there. Halo 5 interested no one.

If Halo Infinite can keep people engaged at launch, it won't matter when it launches. Microsoft just needs to make sure they don't launch literally on the same day as one of their biggest partner's biggest games.

There was one time in 2018 where when game release dates were being announced like 4 games all picked the same February 2019 date. Microsoft's avoiding that with COD.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
It actually worked. Halo 4 still sold like a Halo game and sold faster in less time to be the fastest selling Xbox game in the US by June 2013.

Halo isn't Titanfall 2 back in 2016 where if it launches close to Battlefield and COD it flops. Halo just needs to retain players. Halo 4 fucked that up even though interest was there. Halo 5 interested no one.

If Halo Infinite can keep people engaged at launch, it won't matter when it launches. Microsoft just needs to make sure they don't launch literally on the same day as one of their biggest partner's biggest games.

There was one time in 2018 where when game release dates were being announced like 4 games all picked the same February 2019 date. Microsoft's avoiding that with COD.

It worked for sales. Didn't work for sustaining the multiplayer.

I agree that it can be successful whenever it launches, so long as it retains interest.

It'll be easier to get people hooked on halo if people don't have a bunch of other good options at the same time.

After launching in October Halo, Halo 5s MP growth continued throughout the year and into the 2016

Last edited:

Welfare

Oct 26, 2017
It worked for sales. Didn't work for sustaining the multiplayer.

I agree that it can be successful whenever it launches, so long as it retains interest.

It'll be easier to get people hooked on halo if people don't have a bunch of other good options at the same time.

After launching in October Halo, Halo 5s MP growth continued throughout the year and into the 2016
Halo 4's problem was it was a bad game. It sold like Halo 3 yet couldn't keep players. Launching right before COD didn't really matter because when it came time for Christmas/December sales, Halo 4 still did fantastic but players decided Blops 2 was the more engaging game and stuck with that.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
Halo 4's problem was it was a bad game. It sold like Halo 3 yet couldn't keep players. Launching right before COD didn't really matter because when it came time for Christmas/December sales, Halo 4 still did fantastic but players decided Blops 2 was the more engaging game and stuck with that.

This is true.

If Halo Infinite is launched before COD, people will have an opportunity to get hooked on it before getting hooked on thr new COD.

Obviously being a good game greatly improves the likelihood of success. Being a good game without direct competition for a month would only help.

AustinFordGames

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
New Braunfels, Texas
I think the most important thing is that the multiplayer is free-to-play where BF and COD are not. Obviously we all want the campaign to sell well, and I think it will regardless of when it drops, but I think the MP is going to do some serious numbers across Console and PC no matter what.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
I think the most important thing is that the multiplayer is free-to-play where BF and COD are not. Obviously we all want the campaign to sell well, and I think it will regardless of when it drops, but I think the MP is going to do some serious numbers across Console and PC no matter what.

f2p, xbox one family, xbox series family, and of course PC. its going to be massive 100%. Let's hope it retains it though!

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
I love dark maps.

Until I see aught otherwise, I'm presuming the goo pads are zombie spawns or something.