• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TC McQueen

Oct 27, 2017
Playing XB2 I realized I'm way too old for traditional shonen storyline and storytelling. Like 20 years too old.
That's fitting, because that type of storyline and storytelling hasn't evolved in 20 years either.

Anyway, back on topic, this terrible fight animation made me laugh my ass off:

Deleted member 9971

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well the Japanese Vexen laugh sure is something.

Sure it's on repeat but still xD.

Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories btw.

Surface

Nov 6, 2017
I actually do this laughing scene with my kids (2 and 4 years old) from time to time and they think its extremly fun, they always lmao when I do it :P So in that sense Im greatful!

Monogatari

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That was nowhere near as awkward as the fact Johnny was actually this guy

sasaki-1024x576.jpg

Oh god. Twin Snakes as a whole is awkward. Gross.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
There's a scene in Yakuza 5 where a prison convict sees a preteen female for the first time in decades and its weird.
Isn't that scene from Yakuza 4?

Anyway, it's not really weird, just uncomfortable. It's actually a very honest cutscene and it's there to further establish the character's morals.

But yeah, it's really uncomfortable.

D65

Oct 26, 2017
Don't forget that the MC in IU gets depressed for a significant portion of the game, his attack VO changes accordingly until the one scene where he has sex... And then he's suddenly back to his usual self.

I don't think that game took itself too seriously.

SixPointEight

Oct 28, 2017
You play final fantasy XV for a bunch of hours.
One evening, we meet up at a hotel with some people from the kingdom.
There's an announcement made that Jared die. Everyone loses their shit over Jared dying, even people we don't know.

Meanwhile, you are left wondering "who the hell is Jared, who is this kid, why is everyone going crazy?"

https://youtu.be/buoJmQuCYP0

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
As someone that despises FFX, the laughing scene is fine in context.

Star Ocean 4 nappy time

Peebee flirt scenes in Andromeda were awkward af

Honestly, I believe MOST of the scenes in Star Oceon 4 are cringy. It was the first game I genuinely got angry/baffled at how stupid the cutscenes and dialogues were. I stopped playing despite my best efforts.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
You play final fantasy XV for a bunch of hours.
One evening, we meet up at a hotel with some people from the kingdom.
There's an announcement made that Jared die. Everyone loses their shit over Jared dying, even people we don't know.

Meanwhile, you are left wondering "who the hell is Jared, who is this kid?"

https://youtu.be/buoJmQuCYP0

And after that the party decides to act in his name and get revenge! it's awesome.

I'll add the scene when you defeat Mantis in MGS4, be sure no one is around when you're playing it unless you don't care being embarrassed.

Also Heavy Rain Jason classic.

ChasingANiche

Oct 26, 2017
Every time this thread comes up there is a huge defense force for the laugh and I still don't get what people are talking about. The laugh is ridiculous even in the context of the scene. The point is that Tidus is laughing because he is trying to lighten the mood and cheer up Yuna. Him laughing at nothing is supposed to be the focus of the awkwardness. But because he laughs like a robot who was told what laughing is it completely grabs the focus of the scene from him laughing at nothing to him not knowing how to laugh? I don't know, the first time I played the game was like 3 years ago so it might just be a time a place thing.

Krooner

Oct 27, 2017

Take your pick from ANY moment of the colossally terrible 'Final Zone 2'. The main title theme is so cringe inducing you'd swear Larry David wrote it. Or the seminal line; "Let me show them some fancy action now!"

raterpillar

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
There are worse scenes in FFX. The scene where Tidus learns the Jecht shot is pretty agonizing.
I don't think it's possible to top Star Ocean IV but this is real bad:

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think that it's been surely topped and there are some good examples of that in this thread. The reason why the Laugh Scene has endured longer is because of how some fans responded to it, and hey will you look at that... there are fans doing that right on this very thread again... some things will never change.

For me I think that most games that take themselves too seriously usually end up with some awkward scenes more often than not, specially if they had to cut corners for some reason.

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I just posted this yesterday in another thread, and it seems to be appropriate here, too.

From Breath of the Wild (starts at 9:11):

54dc7196425e1_-_sev-emma-watson-embarrassed-lgn.gif

Yunobo laugh is the Tidus laugh of this generation.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
Oh boy a thread where I can learn for the 800th time that "no no you don't understand! It's supposed to be bad!" because I'm a fucking idiot.
That, in itself, is more cringe-tastic and awkward than the laughing scene itself. When you have people that say, "Nah, I didn't feel the scene!", or "I thought it was stupid", and a whole group of people flocking in saying, "But... you just don't get it!" and then those other people saying, "Yeah, we do, we just don't like it/thought it was still stupid regardless of the fact!" and the defenders respond, "But... you don't get it..."

Nah, those people DO get it, goddammit! You can GET something and still dislike it or find it stupid, awkward, annoying and bad. There is no rule in the infinite saying that when you GET something, you automatically have to LIKE it or APPRECIATE it. The fact there are so many people believing people with these sorta opinions "just don't get it" are really the ones that JUST DON'T GET IT.

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
I can't link youtube right now due to computer limitations, but my vote goes for the Infinite Undiscovery "dinner dance". People who have played it know what I'm talking about. Hell, the name of that game alone is a joke.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
The dinner dance isn't even the awkward part of that video to me. Kid siblings could totally do a silly little dance, and the dude was copying them to be funny.

But earlier in the video when the older sister was all "I'll do anything for you" was pretty awkward.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Final Fantasy XV galore.
  • The Chocobros learning of Insomnia's invasion (Moreso the dialogue than the way they learned of it)
  • This fucking travesty
  • Anything involving Cindy, prticularly when she cleans the Regalia
FFXV is one of my favorite games of all-time, but... yeah. There's some bad stuff in there.

sappyday

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah... I was a bit disappointed how poorly that scene comes out.
It wouldn't even have needed who knows what, just a couple more dialogue lines would've made it perfectly fine, but that way it turns out pretty weak and not even a single mention of the fact Gladio's father died as well.
I'm not saying they should've dedicated like 2 minutes to mourn Gladio's dad death, a single dialogue line would've been fine, like
someone: Your father died too Gladio...
Gladiolus: No time to mourn, he knew what he was doing, I'm sure he died proud, We need to think of what to do next, to protect Noctis, the future king.

Just making a silly example.
The fact it doesn't even remotely get mentioned is quite, I dunno, I found it a poor choice in terms of the emotional potential that scene had.
The game is riddled with just poor dialogue and directing (except when it's just the bros being bros). It's a symptom of Tabata being a director who doesn't know how to direct a scene for the life of him. It's the reason why I see FFXV never being held up as much any of the other FF games, even FFX has a better directing. XIII, love it or hate it, has really well directed scenes.

Deleted member 7878

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That bit in Gears of War 2 where they find yer man's wife was pretty awkward. Awkward, and also, quite hilariously bad, and funny.

Akumasama

Nov 8, 2017
Italy
The game is riddled with just poor dialogue and directing (except when it's just the bros being bros). It's a symptom of Tabata being a director who doesn't know how to direct a scene for the life of him. It's the reason why I see FFXV never being held up as much any of the other FF games, even FFX has a better directing. XIII, love it or hate it, has really well directed scenes.
Overall... yes. I feel it's one of the reason (the main?) why the main plot is so badly told throughout the game.
Some scenes are cool though. The ending, while tragic and not giving you all the answers, was pretty powerful. Really struck me.

Wachenroder

Oct 29, 2017
Last edited:

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I just posted this yesterday in another thread, and it seems to be appropriate here, too.

From Breath of the Wild (starts at 9:11):

54dc7196425e1_-_sev-emma-watson-embarrassed-lgn.gif

Yunobo laugh is the Tidus laugh of this generation.

I played through the whole game and thought the dub was fine. In retrospect, it's pretty bad. Yunobo in particular is so bad.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Oh.. my... God. Who approved her VO?
Her VO is great. She dead-pans everything entirely on purpose (it's supposed to be that way).

I mean, it's kind of gross in certain contexts (why would you design a character that's basically a living doll), but it's part of her character. And she can be quite funny when she approaches serious things with that emotionless voice ("I'm really angry now, 'kay?").

Wh- what's happening here
Two younger kids (who are generally precocious) just trekked through a desert with refugees to a village, and now they've been invited to a local woman's house to have dinner. So they do their little dance because the adults are being too slow.

The main protagonist is portrayed as a more carefree individual (contrasted with the more serious characters that are involved in the story), so he joins in the dance (also, the woman in that scene has JRPG jealousy because she's in love with the protagonist but hasn't realized it yet, so he's also just trying to cut her off).

BlackSalad

Oct 27, 2017
PYRAAAAAAAAAAA

XB2 was a cringe fest from start to finish.

Yes, the entirety of xenoblade 2. Every second of it is more awkward.

Playing XB2 I realized I'm way too old for traditional shonen storyline and storytelling. Like 20 years too old.

I felt shame and embarrassment when my wife watched me play xenoblade 2. Thank god for being able to undock and use headphones

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Her VO is great. She dead-pans everything entirely on purpose (it's supposed to be that way).

I mean, it's kind of gross in certain contexts (why would you design a character that's basically a living doll), but it's part of her character. And she can be quite funny when she approaches serious things with that emotionless voice ("I'm really angry now, 'kay?").
No. Hand-waving with a "it's suppose to be that way" doesn't discount the criticism. That's why the Tidus laugh scene isn't okay. The context is understood, but it doesn't make it any less terrible. So no, her VO is not "great." It's bad VO. If the character was designed that way, then it's a poorly designed character in which an actress was ordered to voice poorly.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
No. Hand-waving with a "it's suppose to be that way" doesn't discount the criticism. That's why the Tidus laugh scene isn't okay. The context is understood, but it doesn't make it any less terrible. So no, her VO is not "great." It's bad VO. If the character was designed that way, then it's a poorly designed character in which an actress was ordered to voice poorly.
Your criticism is "I don't like it". Which is fine (a lot of people can't stand Lymle), but it's something I have no interest in engaging with (you asked who approved the VO, and as I said, it was a person who knew the character and how she should sound).

The performance itself is fine (except for oddities that come from the way voice-over work is done for localized games, especially ones done in the 2000s). That doesn't mean you have to tolerate it or enjoy it, but on a technical level, she sounds like a dead-pan little girl (with only minor slips of more expression on occasion).

stone616

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I never noticed the scene like that until I got on the internet and read about it. Upon my initial playthrough of the game it didn't really stand out to me.