• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

javiergame4

Oct 27, 2017
Dont feel the same OP. This game is amazing. It is definitely a slow start but chapter 3+ is when it gets amazing.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
I'll be honest, I was only on the second mission and gave it up briefly after my Xbox logged out of my account for no reason I could find and that prompted the game to kick me back out to the menu. I was at the end of the mission getting back to town with my hostage, yet once I got back in I had to do the whole thing all over again. I can't describe how mad I was. Turned the game off and played Overwatch. Haven't been back since, but I will eventually. Special place in hell for people who decided that's how you handle an account signing out mid game.

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
New York
The game is beautiful and should be applauded for so many reasons, but it feels like it was made to be more immersive than built for fun. For some people that works for them and its their favorite game ever, for others its just an exercise in frustration and disappointment. I'm stuck somewhere in the middle on the issue of where some of the immersion does have me hooked, but I wish it respected the players time more. For now I dropped it to focus on other games that I want to get through.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I read your post as in you were implying that OP is playing the game wrong and that's why OP has given up on the game.
But whats wrong with that? Why make a blanket statement like that? Especially when i laid out the reasons in extreme detail?

Your post reads like a gotcha post. its just a silly conversation stopper. the OP is complaining about getting bored playing a game after 3 weeks of consistently playing. turns out he's in the tutorial chapter. the OP is playing it wrong.

Evangelista

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Aug 21, 2018
a long time ago. after chapter 1. For me is a game with a lot of problems, beside that PS4 Pro version in so blurry i can't stand. I don't think they will patch that.

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Osaka
Ugh, that sounds lame. Still havent picked it up because as Spider-Man taught me, my "open world fatigue" is only getting worse.

One of the things I'm getting tired of in open world games, like when I played GTAV earlier this year, is how much time they pad out by making you simply reach checkpoints long distances away from each other with so little going on.

They even took out Trip Skip in GTAV and lowered the quality of life just to pad this out.

It's why I'll appreciate shorter more thoughtful games a lot more.

I'll check it out maybe when it gets cheap, but I was afraid to play yet another open world game, especially after GTAV disappointed me so much earlier this year.

And I'm a huge GTA fan. I bought GTA2, III, VC, SA, LCS, VCS, IV, and Chinatown Wars all on Day 1 and play them all multiple times.

I feel like they just want to show off what they can do with their tech by making large more realistic maps, rather than focus on a map that plays well to improvised action during missions.

Mr.Branding

Banned
May 11, 2018
No offence OP, but everyone complains nowadays that their gaming time is limited. Yet, with a job, family and small child and only a few hours per week to play, this game is an amazing achievement. I love it's downtime more than any other open-world in recent years. Have you probably considered you're just burnt out on open-worlds?

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I did too, probably my favourite chapter, but it can be a huge time sink if you don't try to push forward. If you want to maximise your time like OP is saying, then it's best to move on. There's a whole lot of good stuff later in the game.
Oh I see. I mainly do missions because I don't find the exploration or side activities particularly compelling, and chapter 2 was fine with regard to missions.

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
Kudos to Rockstar forfornot not making a typical fast digestible AAA game just to please the crowd. It's slow, deliberate and you have to put time into it.
Best Rockstar game and one of the best this gen. Plus the online part still isn't released so...

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
I've been really enjoying the game. But I had the same complaint - the game does not respect your time. I really hope other open world games do not try to emulate that part of it.

Ivory Samoan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
I was thinking this way mid-way through Chapter 2, then it all kind of just 'clicked' and the loop became amazing and narrative/world grabbed me hard....hasn't let go yet: 120 hours in: still on Chapter 4 lol.

I think your problem is you've been faffing about too much (and I do this too), play the story chapters, get to know your crew better, and you will be winning boahhh.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
I'm the opposite, I'm actually feeling frustrated cause I don't have enough time to play consistently. However, I'm kinda wanting to progress the story faster now since people keep low key spoiling shit.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Kudos to Rockstar forfornot not making a typical fast digestible AAA game just to please the crowd. It's slow, deliberate and you have to put time into it.
Best Rockstar game and one of the best this gen.

Yup, agreed. While I appreciate super streamlined games like Spider-Man and whatnot, I love that Rockstar made a game like this. It almost feels like an indie game with a $100 million budget. Do I want every game to be like this? No but I'm glad this game exists.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
I'll finish the game (currently on Act V) but I understand your complaints, especially the use of LOOOONG horse travels that destroys the pacing of some segments.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
This is the new Final Fantasy XIII.

It gets good in 25+ hours!

It's good from the first hour. But it may take a while for people to adjust to its pacing. It doesn't get any faster 25 hours in either. There's one segment of one chapter that is very fast paced, but aside from that, it's pretty consistently a slow burn.

brennschluss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I can't understand what means "wasting gaming time". I play about 2-4 hours per day and don't expect to get the full story in this gaming sessions or doing it in maximum speed just to say "okay, I complete this game now I can play another"

Booker.DeWitt

Oct 25, 2017
no way man, you have SOOOO much stuff to do, I can't see how you can get bored: side missions, main mission, hunting, fishing, treasure hunting, etc...

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
Why not just play the main story missions then? The actual missions themselves are not longer than any mission in CoD or God of War or any other similar game. If you wander around constantly and stare at shit and pick flowers for days of course its gonna feel slow as balls.

I've been playing this game in hour or two bursts during the day and then longer over the weekends. Feels like a rockstar game.

I dont honestly see how someone could be trying to go through the core missions effeciently and still be in chapter 2. It's not a hard game by any means.

Deleted member 19024

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've got no interest in the game at all. I loved the GTA games and checked out RDR2 at a friends house a couple times already and I just can't muster up any interest. The amount of minutiae in the game is a huge turn off for me, initially and the progress being so minimal after long periods of time is the nail in the coffin.

carlsojo

Shinra Employee
Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
I can't understand what means "wasting gaming time". I play about 2-4 hours per day and don't expect to get the full story in this gaming sessions or doing it in maximum speed just to say "okay, I complete this game now I can play another"

When you only have an hour to play and you spend half of that in a "commute" to and from a mission, that's wasting my time.

Oct 25, 2017
I dropped it. Don't have the patience for games that don't respect my time like I did when the first game came out. I'm lucky if I have an hour of gaming time most week nights and it's tough to make progress when menial tasks like looting are so time consuming. I'm sure the story is great, but gameplay matters much more to me and I didn't find it satisfying.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I read your post as in you were implying that OP is playing the game wrong and that's why OP has given up on the game.

Seems pretty standard for open world games that if you start getting bored of the side activities you do the main missions to progress the game. It's like playing GTA3 and saying you're tired of delivering pizzas. Do something else.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Is this a "you are playing it wrong" post? Because that's exactly how I read it.

I'm not the one who said it but I think it's more of a "the way you're playing it might not bring you the most enjoyment personally" statement.

Some people probably want the slow pace of exploring the world, hunting and fishing, finding hidden and unique people and places. Other people might just want to play through the story. You can do either.

Deleted member 47843

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Sep 16, 2018
It's good from the first hour. But it may take a while for people to adjust to its pacing. It doesn't get any faster 25 hours in either. There's one segment of one chapter that is very fast paced, but aside from that, it's pretty consistently a slow burn.

Yep. I loved it from the start. Some don't and get hooked later. Others will never get into it and that's fine. Not every game, even highly rated ones, is going to be for everyone.

Ukraine

Banned
Jun 1, 2018
I feel like it's good enough for me to keep pushing forward. But I would lie if I said that I didn't consider giving up quite a few times.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
This is the new Final Fantasy XIII.

It gets good in 25+ hours!
It's good right away. I don't even know how someone can be playing regularly since launch and still be on chapter 2. There aren't that many missions and sidequests in chapter 2. So it really just means the op must be taking things incredibly slow or messing around in the open world.

Also, I think the farthest the game makes you travel in chapter 2 is from Valentine to Strawberry. Which takes less than a minute.

arkay

Nov 8, 2017
Feel the same way to be honest. Like some others here, I only get to play maybe 1-2 hours per night and on some nights don't have the desire to play at all. It's a shame cause the story and characters are getting more compelling (on Chapter 4) and I'd like to discuss the game more openly after beating it. At this rate I probably won't until the new year. And to make it worse, Black Friday is coming up and I feel like picking up AC:Odyssey and playing that instead.

Edit: Also I haven't felt like doing the side stuff (hunting, fishing, gambling) and reading the books/notes either, which is a rare thing for me especially with a game of this quality.

Last edited:

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
It's definitely on the back burner. It's a 60 hour game, I don't have time for that between work and games that better respect my time. Hitman 2, Black Ops 4, Tetris Effect and Battlefield V have my attention and likely will for the rest of the year. I might hop into Just Cause 4 once the current project I'm on wraps too.

Tenrius

For the Snark was a Boojum, you see
Oct 25, 2017
For me, the most fun in RDR2 actually comes from riding between missions. The general rule is to check out every smoke column and light, as well as standalone buildings on the map. All of those have something unique, interesting and/or weird: some dialogue, a fight, some notes to read, some cigarette cards, a lot of extra journal entries. Arthur also marks many locations on his map upon visiting them – that's extra motivation to go exploring.

And all that stuff is pretty common! You find something every few minutes, pretty much. It's close to The Witcher 3 question marks in terms of density, only the actual content is not as formulaic.

I only play the game for 1-2 hours per day and I find that a mix of exploring some new area + playing through a couple missions fits pretty well into that

Last edited:

Ukraine

Banned
Jun 1, 2018
Yep. I loved it from the start. Some don't and get hooked later. Others will never get into it and that's fine. Not every game, even highly rated ones, is going to be for everyone.
But I don't understand why it's so highly rated when it's clearly not for everyone... I hate hunting and fishing. It's a waste of my time. Did reviewers not feel the same way? I'm not really trying to dismiss high scores, I just don't understand how every reviewer felt the same about the game when even this board is somewhat split...

EDIT: Hunting was just one of the examples. There are plenty more that's controversial. Combat, input lag, agency in story missions, boring story missions, long travel times, horses vs trees , bounty system. And these are just things that have their own threads.

Last edited:

closer

Oct 25, 2017
I feel u op

But somehow, unlike other rockstar games, the burnout has been mitigated for me by just changing how i approach the game. I get really tired when the game starts feeling like "work" the way you're describing, but i've adjusted by just playing like half an hour before bed or just playing texas hold em, it's pretty relaxing. I think the game is appropriate for that type of approach as well, working nicely for me.

But I don't understand why it's so high rated when it's clearly not for everyone... I hate hunting and fishing. It's a waste of my time. Did reviewers not feel the same way? I'm not really trying to dismiss high scores, I just don't understand how every reviewer felt the same about the game when even this board is somewhat split...

I dont think reviews are meant to be objective, in general i dislike many of the games that review highly. And websites are beholden to a whole set of invisible rules when shipping these reviews out. Like can you imagine ign giving rdr2 a 7.0 while the rest give 8.8+, video game fans are vicious and defensive as fuk lol

Basically dont get hung up on reviews and acknowledge your own experience as valid

ODDI

Oct 27, 2017
I'm taking it pretty slow like 1 chapter a week cause they the game isn't meant to be rushed.

Oct 25, 2017
I gotcha OP. I had an hour to play games last night and didn't even get Past the initial load before I decided to turn it off and instead fire up destiny two and knock off some bounties and a couple story missions

Oct 27, 2017
The main story missions are generally clustered pretty close together if you just want to do those. The missions in white are Stranger missions and aren't required but many of them are quite good.

Moose the Mooche

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Wait you can fast-travel from camp? How?

I get your feeling OP, i had the same with Witcher 3. Just kept on playing until i reached the point where it would start to be brilliant but that point never came for me. It was just boring for me.: maybe because of the setting tho.

But RDR2 does for me what Witcher 3 did for a lot of others. I am 40 hours in and still early chapter 3. I love to take my time with this game. Just riding on my horse with no real goal.. just see what comes on my path and go with the flow. The random encounters with strangers are very satisfying so far.
I think this might be one of the better games i have played but i am still far from finished.
Didnt like RDR1 tho. I thought that one was boring and the fact i am not into western didnt help either.
But for some reason this one clicks, even in its setting, maybe because it isnt like the first where its almost only desert and here its all green and stuff

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I had this issue too, but the trick is just to use stage coaches and trains to get about (your horse follows you), and unlock fast travel when you can afford it.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
But I don't understand why it's so high rated when it's clearly not for everyone... I hate hunting and fishing. It's a waste of my time. Did reviewers not feel the same way? I'm not really trying to dismiss high scores, I just don't understand how every reviewer felt the same about the game when even this board is somewhat split...
Because outside of maybe 2 or 3 story missions the hunting and fishing is completely optional. And while you may not enjoy them the hunting and fishing systems are incredibly detailed and well made

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
Not here. I felt some fatigue near the end but it's because I wanted to see how the story ended, without getting into spoilers here.

I was wholly satisfied. I played on PS4 Pro since that's what I pre-ordered but will be restarting on my One X that I just received today.

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't given up on it but I've take a break. I'll probably get back to it this weekend.

ejabx

Oct 25, 2017
I'm up to chapter 3, and I'm close to giving up on it. It feels more like a sandbox game like Just Cause than a successor to RDR1. The main missions/characters aren't clicking with me and the riding between missions is getting monotonous. I feel like the success of GTA may have spoiled RDR2....

Funny thing is, I never had that problem with Witcher 3 or Horizon Zero Dawn.

Bingle Bango

Sep 13, 2018
I think it's important to do the main story when the side stuff gets boring. Also, it's been incredibly important for me to always fast travel from camp to wherever I'm going and always use a stagecoach to get to the closest point. It's not an instant load to travel, but a 15-30 second montage works well. I've completely stopped engaging in the side of the road quick things, and I recommend doing that as well.

TheHyde

Oct 29, 2017
I said couple of weeks ago after the first reviews came that I was very surprised that the critical consensus was so strong with RDR2. I still am. I really struggled to finish the game, and with that I mean finishing chapter 6. I have hardly any interest to go through the epilogues anymore.

Of course the game is great, amazing even there is no question about it. Characters are some of the best (if not the best) in the business, also story was something I enjoyed. 9/10 all the way. 10/10? No. There are enough problems to knock it down to 9.

I never really liked the controls but I managed them fine in the end, they are not a huge issue. As several others here have said, my main issues also were the lack of (proper) fast travel, which added up to lot of downtime. This also made me less interested in exploring especially in later chapters.

Second big issue was that even though there were couple of true highlight missions in there, most of them were quite boring and too often ended in a basic shooty-bang. This is not where the amazing world R* has created really gets to shine. Also it is so weird that many of the missions had super limited parameters and strange fail states.

Another strange thing that many people have not even mentioned was that the in-game economy was basically broken by quite early mission (you know what I am talking about). After this it was a weird feeling when the gang was constantly complaining about needing more money when I had tons and the camp money box was bulging.

One more issue - the post-game area is really an afterthought - there is very little to do there, even most of the buildings can not be entered - was disappointed with this as well, which directly affected my interest in completing the epilogues.

Osiris397

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
In part I think it depends on how nostalgic you are for the Old West, it depends a lot on where you are with "Open World Games" generally and then what your expectations were going in. I pretty much am getting what I expected. It is slow and plodding for a while, the controls are funky. The only thing I can say is that I hope the rumor is true that the future iteration that will show up on next gen VR. Having a switchable perspective in VR would make this game even much more engaging for me.

pixeldreams

Oct 27, 2017
Basically, when Hitman 2, Fallout 76, and Black Ops 4 are all fighting for my gaming time, this game takes a huge backseat. Maybe I'll pick it back up once I slow down on those, but even then this game just might not do it for me.

If this is one of those "it gets better after __ hours" games, no thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.