• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Your opinion about U2?

• All time great band

Votes: 141 21.3%
  • They're really good

Votes: 98 14.8%
  • Ok

Votes: 108 16.3%
  • Meh

Votes: 188 28.4%
  • Hate em

Votes: 107 16.1%
  • Thor 2: The Dank memes.

Votes: 21 3.2%

• Total voters

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I find something about their songwriting insufferable. Maybe my least favorite "respected" musical act ever.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
They are clearly an all timer due to simple longevity. You look at the highest grossing tours for the past 4 decades and they are in all four. Only other bands I see like that is The Rolling Stones and Bruce Springsteen and they aren't a greatest hits band either. They still actively put out new music, which gets received well, and tour for it.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
They were probably the last truly political band that had major popularity. Their album War is brimming with righteous anger at the inequities of society. We could certainly use more of that today.

The Edge is a fantastic songwriter. Bono was the useful idiot with a fantastic voice in his prime.

Last edited:

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely always been "meh" with a few good tunes. I wouldn't actively listen to them.

No idea if they've had a resurgance, but I certainly hope not.

RMChoodie

Dec 27, 2021
American in Costa Rica
The Rolling Stones of the 80's
Just keep playing guys you can't really see a bad setlist on any night
I always will go see U2 and as much as I love my future wife it will be with my father
We have seem them 4x since I was able to go to the Pop tour with him
I also am extremely lucky to have been at the super bowl halftime show performance working as media.

Lastbroadcast

Jul 6, 2018
Sydney, Australia
Their peak was 1984-92. Stick to that era, and you can't go wrong.

During that time they made War, The Unforgettable Fire, The Joshua Tree, Rattle and Hum and Achtung Baby. At least two of those albums are deservedly remembered as masterpieces.

I still listen to TUF a lot. I also spun Achtung Baby recently and was stunned at how fresh it still sounded.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Like most good bands their quality fell off a cliff. At this point most of their catalogue is bad but there are some great tunes in their early albums.

Azriell

Oct 27, 2017
A few songs that I like, but at the same time they've never been on any of my playlists. So I guess they're okay for the radio.

Otnopolit

Oct 28, 2017
Say what you will about them, but they're activists and I think that's extremely important when you're a rock group with that level of fame.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They are an all time great band and I actively laugh at the people that bashed them for the apple stunt. It shows that people will whine about anything.

GMM

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
An all time great band with some extremely high highs, How To Dismantle an Atomic Bomb is still one of my all time favorite albums and they have had a lot to say in their earlier days, shame they just sorta ran out of things to say.

There's plenty of things to dislike about their history and Bono's various antics throughout the years, but they have a huge legacy and amazing works of art that should be celebrated.

Kapryov

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I don't consider myself a fan necessarily, but they have (or had?) some impressive songwriting chops.
Really solid hooks in a lot of their singles, one after the other.
And singles aside, Joshua Tree is a great album too.

I haven't really listened to anything past their Stuck in a Moment (2000) album.

FRANKEINSTEIN

Oct 27, 2017
AZ
My 7 year old now knows a couple of their songs because of Sing 2 and she'll randomly start belting one out. Right now it's either a song from Sing 2 or Encanto.

BlueJay

Oct 27, 2017
Among the all-time greats. I was born after their peak popularity, so discovered them relatively recently. Their sound is so distinct to me.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Love them. Diverse and timeless. Edge has such a unique sound and instantly recognizable.

AlteredBeast

Don't Watch the Tape!
Oct 27, 2017
U2 is an all-time great band with a stereotypically bad twilight period to their careers. Their run through the 80s and 90s is almost untouchable, though.

Nov 4, 2017
80s U2 is s-Tier. Joshua Tree and Rattle & Hum are legit albums, all killer no filler. 90s is mostly toilet paper with a few exceptions. 2000's onwards is used toilet paper. As somebody who grew up in the 80s and 90s in Australia, U2 were a pretty popular staple at BBQS.

Anybody I know who has met Bono (Including somebody who spent a week in very close quarters with him) doesn't have much good to say about him. The dude has also been one of the biggest rockstars on the planet since he was 20, so I imagine that would distort his reality a bit. On the other hand, he does a lot of philanthropy so I guess he's still better than a lot of other people. I think he's just easy to dunk on for a lot of people because he's a well-known cultural icon, and he's such a tall poppy that it's always punching up.

AlteredBeast

Don't Watch the Tape!
Oct 27, 2017
Secretly, Pop is their best album. It's just an overabundance of amazing music, one song after the other.

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017
I was a huge U2 fan in the 80s and some of the 90s. But I don't think their songs have aged well compared to other acts of the period. They are a very "band of the moment" and they rode that 80s pomposity to its fullest and craftily maneuvered through the irreverence of the 90s. An amazing feat really. In many ways they're like the Metallica of alternative/indie rock - loved and hated by many and undoubtedly legendary.

OP
OP
Martinski

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
I myself became a fan of their long after the peak around when the 360 tour rolled around and have been on of my fav bands ever since, have seen em 11 times and only band i have traveled abroad (Copenhagen and NYC) to see live.

Sure their albums as a whole aren't nearly as good anymore but the albums have songs on them that are still really good. Not as big as anything like Bad, WoWY, One Tree Hill, One etc but still some good tunes.

And still one of the best live bands.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I've never delved into their stuff, only familiar with the hits and such. Was about to say that I like some of their songs, but listening to them now, I don't think I actually do, I just kind of don't mind them. One is the one I don't mind the most. Has that round comfy soundvibe that's like floating away on gentle waves. Yeah never mind I guess I actually like that one.

GDGF

Oct 26, 2017
I never disliked them. Always thought there had to be something more behind the South Park thing for the world to start hating them but I guess not?

People are fucking dumb.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
They are one of about 14 million bands or musicians I don't listen to on purpose but it's not personal. Of the songs I have heard, they are catchy enough.

Indurian

Oct 27, 2017
They were great then fell off, like most bands. People hate Bono. That's all I have to say about that.

uuddrlrl

May 30, 2021
A resurgence? Does that mean another forced album automatically downloaded to my iTunes?
*still remember, still mad about it

Not an artist I really follow, but some of their highs/hits are pretty good

(one of the versions of) Elevation was a better Vertigo, BTW

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They have one great album (Joshua Tree) and my favorite single for a Batman movie yet.

Everything else is meh to me.

Shiz Padoo

Oct 13, 2018
Was never really into them. In fact, they're a bit before my time. Elevation is the only U2 song that sticks with me.

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
I have no idea how they got popular to begin with given that their early stuff (what little I remember of it) is bland as fuck, but there's no doubt they've written some amazing songs. Bono is a complete pill but his voice is fantastic. That moment when his character joins in on the stage in Sing 2 is so powerful and effective because his voice is so damn good.

hordak

Oct 31, 2017
Anaheim, CA
They were a pretty good rock band up until ca. Zooropa and Pop, then they just became a bad pop band after that.
except for like two songs after Pop, i did not like any of their albums. they went from punk to rock to experimental rock to alternative rock to crappy pop.

I love it when musicians and bands change their style, like Madonna, Beck, Primal Scream, etc. but when you change your style to generic pop, that's just lack of style.

Oct 27, 2017
except for like two songs after Pop, i did not like any of their albums. they went from punk to rock to experimental rock to alternative rock to crappy pop.

I love it when musicians and bands change their style, like Madonna, Beck, Primal Scream, etc. but when you change your style to generic pop, that's just lack of style.

I like 'Vertigo' and 'Stuck in a Moment' or w/e the name is. Don't really care for anything else I've heard from them after Zooropa and Pop.