Skade

Oct 28, 2017
I don't like change in general. Especially when it changes the positions of all the links i was used to.

I mean... Until today, i was still using the first Era layout. So i did not even like the first redesign we had.

If it's just a simple refresh of the look without moving stuff around or if it's just adding a few new functionnalities without changing the rest, it can be fine. But changing everything for the sake of it tend to bother me. I'll get used to it eventually but it takes time and i won't like the transition period.

And if there is an option to keep the old look somewhere, i will always use it. Youtube is a good example where i can't stand the latest redesign but thankfully, i can keep the old one via an option. Too bad it's cookie based and not saved on the account so i had to change it on every machine and browser i use...

bitSS

Self-requested ban
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Portugal
Yeah, I'm enjoying this one. Gmail was also okay. Facebook Messenger is a fucking mess.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Of course, between 2008 and 2012 a lot of good website redesigns were made. Since then, sites in general are too much aimed at smartphones and overloaded.

Servbot24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Usually not, and that's because most redesigns focus on adding unnecessary additional elements that don't acually enhance usuability, or deter it if anything.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I browse 90% of the time on a desktop so I find the mobile stuff a bit annoying, but as someone who writes online for a living, I can appreciate why they're serving this audiences (a lot of sites get up to 80% of their traffic on phones).

bitSS

Self-requested ban
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Portugal
Spotify is also another one which I really enjoyed for its modern design, specially on mobile, it looks really good. Had they kept the same design as years before, it would look very dated by now.

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
Not particularly. Era's isnt as bad as it could have been. I really dont like the hanging Avatars. I'll probably adjust.

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
The problem is that a lot of it feels so unnecessary.

I stuck with NeoGAF for so long because of how clean and simple it was. Just give me that. Always. This redesign is a bit of a mess.

Draper

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Harrisburg, PA
I usually hide avatars since I primarily browse at work and now that I don't have that ability...good lord, a lot of you have anime avatars

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If they take the time to ask the users what they want from the site and respond to their concerns then they are usually fine, but many feel like they simply come down from on high and don't address any of the normal issues, reddit being by far the most obvious example. I like this one, but I'm not sure about the purpose of some of the added features, like the suggested threads at the bottom of the page.

DrFunk

Oct 25, 2017
This redesign is making my *ahem* work PC *ahem* chug. It's kinda meh imo.

At least it's not Digg - the redesign killed the site lol

Recluse

Oct 25, 2017
Last.fm had a major redesign a couple of years ago, It launched well before it was ready with several big features removed (still missing to this day).

Pretty much killed the entire thing.

Sabin

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe in 1 out 10 cases but i usually don't like them.

The new ERA design is also god damn awful and it takes like 10x as normal to a load page. Already hate it.

Oct 27, 2017
I would also link the avatar box to the post instead of it floating nebulously off to the left.
PhV1sWT.png

MrCinos

Oct 26, 2017
Um, I found how to hide the menu tree on the left, but how do you remove unused space on the sides (desktop here) thus making the forum "full screen"?

Last edited:

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Too much clutter to load.

Who needs the "similar thread" thingy on the bottom of the page ? Give us back the old links to quickly change from videogame to etcetera instead. Quick Jump isn't really quick compared to what we had.

Oct 27, 2017
Do we consider dark era legacy to be one? If so, yes, I liked that one. This one is just plain bad. It made the site harder to both navigate and read. Despite complaints about the bright purple, they stuck with bright purple. Why isn't "similar threads" an option to be turned off? Why aren't user icons for threads and thread preview hover text an option to be turned off? Just so many odd decisions.

Maedhros

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I fucking hate to browse from phone. Only do that in emergencies.

This redesign is a mess on my notebook. Oh well, I'll probably get over it with time.

Binabik15

Oct 28, 2017
Where is my "go to first unread post" button on android? I read that you can toggle up/down arrows on, but I can't see it in the menu? I'm now using dark theme because my legacy theme is gone, anyway, so I might as well save energy when it's fugly regardless. Blergh.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I used to not like YouTube's changes but really it all came down to stubborness. YouTube is better now than it was many years ago.

I hated the Day/Night Era layouts. I dig this one though.

FantaSoda

Oct 28, 2017
I like the Giant Bomb redesign, it has kinks, but I think it'll be better than the old site eventually.

I liked the Youtube redesigns, I liked the Facebook redesigns.

Era's redesign is a goddamn trash heap though.

I wouldn't classify the current redesign as a "trash heap". I wish that I could hide the sidebar. Maybe I'm crazy but forum posts seem more squeezed in, then in the past. However, outside of feeling a bit claustrophobic I'm not minding it.

Giant Bomb's redesign is really good. It was the one where the first time I laid eyes on it I could recognize how much of an improvement it was.

Whitemex

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
It's ok. Nice upgrade and qol improvements but some convenient features got the ax.
One handed browsing is a little harder without the refresh button at the bottom and the forum buttons at the bottom as well. Jumping to pages is a little more cumbersome but not a huge deal.

Oct 27, 2017
Where is my "go to first unread post" button on android? I read that you can toggle up/down arrows on, but I can't see it in the menu? I'm now using dark theme because my legacy theme is gone, anyway, so I might as well save energy when it's fugly regardless. Blergh.
You simply tap the thread title to go to first unread.

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't classify the current redesign as a "trash heap". I wish that I could hide the sidebar. Maybe I'm crazy but forum posts seem more squeezed in, then in the past. However, outside of feeling a bit claustrophobic I'm not minding it.

Giant Bomb's redesign is really good. It was the one where the first time I laid eyes on it I could recognize how much of an improvement it was.
You can hide the sidebar. Hit the hamburger in the upper left.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Often no, with this I'm fine with the changes, I like the new look for the most part and new features. Then again I liked the old Dark Era over Legacy that everyone hated. My only big issue with this is that I really really hate seeing Avatars in the thread pages. It's ugly and sloppy looking and is complete wasted space on mobile.

I also miss the floating refresh/top&bottom button on mobile.