Have you ever played a Gameboy Color game?

• No

Votes: 14 2.3%
  • Yes, I own / owned real hardware

Votes: 519 84.4%
  • Yes, I tried / borrowed real hardware

Votes: 38 6.2%
  • Yes, but only ports / emulation / clones

Votes: 43 7.0%

• Total voters

Neutron

Jun 2, 2022
Yes. I don't have my GameBoy Color anymore, but I do have my precious precious copy of Link's Awakening DX for retirement.

I hit myself for selling my Gen1/2 Pokemon copies as a kid.

bixente

Jan 27, 2019
I have an atomic purple GBC. Enjoyed the classic Pokemon games on it, of course.

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
I had the OG system but I wasn't smitten by the color system when it was released.

I've since played a few titles via emulation/VC.

Vexii

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Hoo boy yes, my grandmother gave me her Pikachu edition GBC back in the day, but I was stupid and 9 years old so naturally it's long lost to time :(

Amazing console. I remember playing it felt like the future couldn't get better than this. Of course the batteries constantly dying and being a consumable resource soured me on the experience a bit, and I never got pocket money to buy replacements.

I so wish I could go back in time and tell idiot baby me to take better care of things.

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
I have, and I still have it. I don't have very many games for it, though, and I might have a one or two MIA.

I wanted a yellow one so bad, and they never had any at the stores near me. I wound up with a blue one. Lots of pokemon, Mario Tennis, and.. Super Mario Deluxe? Lots of gaming while listening to portable cd player.

I also have a Zelda oracle of seasons?

Maxime

Oct 27, 2017
The memory of my sister accompanying driving me to different shops until I finally get my hand on one is burned into my mind. Weirdly I don't have so much memories of Game Boy Color games? It's a blur in my mind with OG Game Boy games.
Still here!
NUk0e8a.jpeg

Edit: Damn picture and IRL colors don't match at all. Not sure if it is lightning or HDR weirdness.
Edit 2: HtF did I forget about Pokemon Gold / Silver / Cristal.

Last edited:

Shiz Padoo

Oct 13, 2018
Yes, I had a clear purple GBC. I didn't really consider the importance of holding on to stuff then, so I no longer have it.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Had a purple ("grape") Game Boy Color. Only games I had for it were Pokémon Silver and Crystal I think. And of course the handful of Game Boy games I had.

Pokémon was all I needed back in the day. Getting a GBC for my birthday and starting Pokémon Silver... blew my mind games could look so pretty.

Still have it. Or rather my sister does atm. We used to have a rechargeable battery pack for it and a light attachment but no idea where they are.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
Gameboy Colour was my first ever system that I "owned"

Parents got it for me one Christmas and I still have it / it still works / I still occasionally use it now.

Eila

Oct 27, 2017
I had a GBC yes, had a bunch of GB games and a couple GBC games. Shutout to the GBC Harry Potter RPGs.

Indelible

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I went from the original Gameboy to the GBA so I never played on GBC hardware, I have since played GBC games through emulation.

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
Yes and I'd go as far as to say some of its games blew my mind more than anything since. The experience of playing Pokemon Gold and Silver with all of its mechanics (day and night cycle, phone, breeding, radio, held items - the list goes on) AND then discovering you can go back to Kanto was unparalleled. A time when secrets in games were genuinely secret and not leaked by dataminers or people rushing to stream a game Day 1. It blew my mind what they fit onto that cartridge.

And Oracles of Ages and Seasons felt enormous as a kid and kept me busy for months. Discovering they then linked up and altered each other's second run through was, again, mind-blowing. Incredible memories.

Sazed

Aug 21, 2023
Had the indigo one, mostly played Pokemon on it but had a couple other games. I remember having some sort of Spiderman game at one point. But really I just wanted to play Pokemon.

My brother got one too but his kept breaking. He went through like 3 of them? Purple, then the transparent one, and finally the Pokemon yellow special edition one.

Just looking at pictures of them now gives me the most intense hit of nostalgia. Right back to fourth grade Christmas break and getting it as a present. It might even be still kicking around at my dad's.

Yes and I'd go as far as to say some of its games blew my mind more than anything since. The experience of playing Pokemon Gold and Silver with all of its mechanics (day and night cycle, phone, breeding, radio, held items - the list goes on) AND then discovering you can go back to Kanto was unparalleled. A time when secrets in games were genuinely secret and not leaked by dataminers or people rushing to stream a game Day 1. It blew my mind what they fit onto that cartridge.

Same here. I still feel like the Kanto reveal is unparalleled in a way. A part of it has to do with my age at the time and the novelty of it all, but how many games offer an experience like that still? And all those new features were incredible. As a kid in NA where the anime launched just a bit before the game, most of us were coming to the game wanting it to emulate the journey in the show, as opposed to realizing that the anime was trying to capture the experience of the games. All those extra features took it the extra mile and really made it feel like the immersive trainer experience you wanted.

Hard not to talk about this era without it being tied into my thoughts on Pokemon as well because they were like the only games I played lol.

{Marvelous}

Jan 2, 2018
I was about to say I don't remember what colour my Gameboy Colour was, my GBA was glacier (transparent blue or purple I think) but I looked them up and the glacier purple GBC looks right.

When I got my GBA I kept playing my Colour games regularly on it, in fact for quite awhile they were all I had for it. Actually acquiring GBA games was a huge deal to me then.

Now the games...

Wario Land 3
Pokemon Gold
Pokemon Silver
Some X-Men game. It might be Mutant Academy
Link's Awakening
Oracle of Ages
Oracle of Seasons
Maybe Pokemon Crystal
Donkey Kong

These are what I can remember right now.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
the adults in my family got together and bought all the kids Game Boy Colors for hanukkah and then gave all of us Pokemon Blue with them because they thought it would be more fun for us if we all had the same version. typical parent L

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
Does Pokémon Yellow count? it's got some GBC only enhancements but it's technically a game from the previous gen.

My brother had a GBC but all he ever got for it was Red, Blue and Yellow. And we ended up never getting another game for it. So I have weirdly used the system but only for backwards compatibility.

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
I had the pink one and experienced the boom of Pokemon on it. I lived on the Cook Islands for a year at the time, part of my parents dream year project, and we asked one of few local stores to carry games if they could order it for us. Painful wait while reading about the series in EGM, which was also on sale on the island and provided the best reading experience of my life. Finally it arrived and we played that game soo much.

Then played Link's Awakening DX. Some of my top, formative gaming experience of all time on the Game Boy COlor.

chanman

Nov 9, 2017
My Gameboy Color was pretty much just a Pokemon machine lol I can't tell you if I played anything else on it besides that.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Yep. Although the ones I played the most were probably dual play games like Dragon Warrior Monster & Pokemon Gold, which could be played on both though enhanced on the GBC.
My fave GBC exclusive game was prob Lufia: The Legend Returns, loved the battle system.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Didn't own hardware, only had a GB pocket for my handheld at the time, even then it wasn't used much outside of Pokemon Red. Most of my play with GBC was through emulation at the time. Played all the stuff I wanted on it Deja Vu 2, Warlocked, RE Gaiden, Metal Gear Ghost Babel.

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
I never had a Gameboy Color, had the original brick Gameboy close to or at launch all the way up to the Gameboy Advance's release. Don't think I've ever played a game that was GBC exclusive. .

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
oh c'mon

hope the mods are awake to ban everyone voting no, being young is not an excuse

MysteryM

Oct 28, 2017
Yes I have about 50+ gameboy color consoles, 30 pockets and about 20 dmgs, and a box full of carts. Never actually played them when it first came out.

MysteryM

Oct 28, 2017
You're trying to build a house made of gameboys or something

I was modding them originally (dmg to bivert, gameboy color ips screens), and so was picking them up cheaply over the last 10 years. Just stopped doing it and have tons of consoles left over. It's a conservative estimate - I must have over a hundred gb/gba/gbc consoles.

Some of them are really mint as well. They've just almost tripled in value over the covid years but I don't want to move them on yet as I actually collect retro consoles.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, I got the yellow GBC in a bundle with Conker's Pocket Tales. I remember being shocked at the lack of backlight. Really enjoyed Conker but never beat the game. Been meaning to rebuy it.

citrusred

Oct 28, 2017
Played a good few gbc games but it was on a GBA which already out by the time my parents could afford to buy me video game consoles.

bakeray

Oct 28, 2017
First handheld.

Tetris DX, Pokémon blue at launch. I couldn't believe it. It was magical

Pokémon silver, Zelda oracles.

Some of the best times of my childhood

Buzzkiller_20

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, had the clear purple and neon green. Clear purple was my sisters and neon green was mine. Also had an original Gameboy as well. We had Pokémon Red,Blue, Yellow, TCG, and WarioLand.

bruchuck

Sep 3, 2021
I have a GBC.. Unfortunately the display stopped work (looks like something is leaking inside the display)...

I remember it was hard as hell to see something in some situations due to the lack of backlight in the console...

Aldo

Mar 19, 2019
I was lucky enough to have one, and I used it extensively on long car rides.

The best games for me were Wario Land 2-3, Metal Gear Solid and Dragon Quest Monsters. I also had fun with the ports of SMB, Ghosts 'n Goblins and Duke Nukem (well it had brand new levels I think but it played exactly like Duke Nukem 2).

Oh, the display wasn't as bad as the first GBA but you just had to have that wormlight thingy.

Dev

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Had a Pokemon GBC as a kid until one day our house got broken into and it was stolen.

At the time I wasn't too upset because I knew I was getting a GBA for my birthday a week later, but damn do I miss it now.

nintendo_game_boy_color_pokemon_yellow_edition_console_pre-owned_1_.jpg

MysteryM

Oct 28, 2017
I have a GBC.. Unfortunately the display stopped work (looks like something is leaking inside the display)...

I remember it was hard as hell to see something in some situations due to the lack of backlight in the console...

Sticking a new backlit IPS screen is pretty easy if you wanted to bring it back to life. Your lcd screen had a bleed and cannot be repaired.

Bengraven