Have you ever played an "Atari 8-bit family" game?

• Yes, I own / owned real hardware

Votes: 55 32.0%
  • Yes, I tried / borrowed real hardware

Votes: 28 16.3%
  • Yes, but only ports / emulation / clones

Votes: 19 11.0%
  • No

Votes: 70 40.7%

• Total voters

Tailzo

Fallen Guardian
Oct 27, 2017
So I'm adding a few systems together here. From Wikipedia:

The Atari 8-bit family is a series of 8-bit home computers introduced by Atari, Inc. in 1979 with the Atari 400 and Atari 800. As the first home computer architecture with coprocessors, it has graphics and sound more advanced than most of its contemporaries. Video games were a major appeal, and first-person space combat simulator Star Raiders is considered the platform's killer app. The "Atari 8-bit family" label was not contemporaneous. Atari, Inc., used the term "Atari 800 [or 400] home computer system", often combining the model names into "Atari 400/800" or "Atari home computers".

OP
OP
Tailzo

Tailzo

Fallen Guardian
Oct 27, 2017
Not to be confused with
www.resetera.com

Have you ever played an Atari 2600 game? Retro

Have you ever played an Atari 2600 game? Not sure what happened here. Poll question became first post. Working on fixing it. Sorry!
www.resetera.com

Have you ever played an Atari Jaguar game? Retro

The results of the similar Sega Saturn thread surprised me. So I wanted to ask the same about another black sheep of the 90s, the Atari Jaguar. I never even saw the hardware in stores or other places. I did play the sega saturn (and playstation) port of the excellent Rayman though. Random...
www.resetera.com

Have you ever played an Atari Lynx game? Retro

I have never played one, and I have never seen Lynx hardware in person.

OP
OP
Tailzo

Tailzo

Fallen Guardian
Oct 27, 2017
Last weeks thread
www.resetera.com

Have you ever played a Bandai Playdia game? Retro

If so, please tell me when, how, what game and all the details. This is among my mythical unicorn gaming hardware. The kind of hardware I read about in magazines, but never even saw in real life. I know some of the fmv games were ripped into videos that you could watch, but I don't think any of...

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
I had a hand me down 800XL as a kid and it was my first game system. I was born in 82 so I had it well, well after the fact. My Grandpa used to take me with him whenever he needed to buy software for his computer and let me buy a game for the 800XL. I had no concept of different types of computers at the time and would wander around the whole store and try to buy what was probably Atari ST or Amega games and my grandpa would have to tell me "no only games on this shelf will work for your computer".

I still have a working Atari 800XL and play it from time to time. I love that thing so much.

Donkey Kong, Rescue on Fractalus, David's Midnight Magic, Alley Cat, Atari Logo, So many fond memories.

OP
OP
Tailzo

Tailzo

Fallen Guardian
Oct 27, 2017
I had a hand me down 800XL as a kid and it was my first game system. I was born in 82 so I had it well, well after the fact. My Grandpa used to take me with him whenever he needed to buy software for his computer and let me buy a game for the 800XL. I had no concept of different types of computers at the time and would wander around the whole store and try to buy what was probably Atari ST or Amega games and my grandpa would have to tell me "no only games on this shelf will work for your computer".

I still have a working Atari 800XL and play it from time to time. I love that thing so much.

Donkey Kong, Rescue on Fractalus, David's Midnight Magic, Alley Cat, Atari Logo, So many fond memories.
I was born in 84 myself. I can't say for sure that I did play an atari 8 bit game, but I did play some old system that we found in an attic once when I was a child. That system was from the 70s.

Bulk_Rate

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
Yep, my school had Atari 800s and my first PC was an 800XL. Bruce Lee, Ultima III, Blue Max, Dandy Dungeon, Fractalus ... I could go on and on.

Really strong hardware considering when it was actually designed.

Dec 22, 2017
Born in 81 and Atari always felt like a relic. Kid down the street had an older brother who swore it was better than Nintendo and had "real games" or something. Probably the first console warrior I ever ran into!

As a young adult stayed in a cabin with some friends and they had an Atari hooked up to the TV. Played a few hours while drinking and it still felt like a relic.

krae_man

Oct 25, 2017
I totally forgot about Final Legacy. Used to love that game. Completely rolled the score counter twice once.

I've since tried other games as I've added games to my collection now and Lode Runner is fantastic, Donkey Kong is great, Montezuma's Revenge is fun.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
My brother borrowed an Atari 2600 once, I think. I vividly remember the experience of playing Donkey Kong on it because the Atari version of Donkey Kong is clearly just a dancing nude man.

gyrspike

Jan 18, 2018
Never had an Atari 8bit PC or the Atari VCS/2600 but I did have a ColecoVison with the expansion that let me play all the Atari 2600 games on it.

buttzilla

Sep 9, 2020
I hope at the end of all of this you put together some beautiful charts showing which consoles had people play them, never play them, etc etc, something along the lines of charts you'd see in r/dataisbeautiful

Oct 27, 2017
Grew up with an Atari 800. Please check out Star Raiders, to this day one of the most impressive games I think have ever been designed for their time period:

1979:
www.youtube.com

Atari 800 Game: Star Raiders (1979 Atari)

An action simulation/strategy game where as the pilot of an interstellar starship, your mission is to destroy all enemy spacecraft on the galactic chart and ...

krae_man

Oct 25, 2017
This is very much one of those "There are dozens of us...Dozens!" scenarios. Most people had Commodores, Amegas, Mac's or Apple II's,, Speccy, Amstrad CPC if you were in Europe etc.

But the people who had one loved it.

DECK’ARD

Creator of Worms
Verified
Nov 26, 2017
UK
Was always interested in the Atari 400 & 800. Used to look at them enviously in the computer shop, but they were just too expensive for my parents to get.

So went down the Spectrum/C64 route instead.

The Atari 8-bits were great looking computers though, and years ahead of their time. Same designers as the Amiga.

Zerpette

Jun 23, 2023
So many fun hours playing Star Raiders, Joust, Dig Dug, and Pole Position among others. I remember making up storylines to go along with the gameplay to keep myself entertained. I also spent a lot of time in BASIC and PILOT, and the crappy membrane keyboard on the 400 definitely gave me major 800 envy.

ELEGYGHOST

Oct 22, 2023
Yes and I just played Miner2049er on my 800XL for the first time today and it's awesome! It's a shame more folks haven't played other 8-bits besides Famicom/NES

OP
OP
Tailzo

Tailzo

Fallen Guardian
Oct 27, 2017
I hope at the end of all of this you put together some beautiful charts showing which consoles had people play them, never play them, etc etc, something along the lines of charts you'd see in r/dataisbeautiful
I want to. In my google-sheet, I only have two systems left for making new threads, so the end might be close. But I need to redo Sega Saturn (Did not have the exact same poll options, as it was the first one) abd Atari jaguar (I made an error).

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
I owned a 600XL, with the RAM expanded to a mighty 64 K. Also had the disc and tape drive for it. There were some pretty amazing games on it back in the day, although the ones that really blew my child mind were the Lucas Arts games like Ball Blazer and Rescue on Fractalus, although the classics like Choplifter and Star Raiders were great too. Oh, and Alternate Reality, which I am still disappointed they never finished as an RPG series.

Polk

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Started with 65XE then upgraded to 130XE with 1050 drive.
Rebought 65XE years ago (and my 130 is somewhere in parent's attic).

View: https://imgur.com/a/dPzpKsW
I need to buy some other lead because right now I can connect it through RF.

So many amazing memories and games

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
A quick google tells me that the only Atari system I ever used, Atari ST, is a 16 bit system, so that should count as a no here, right?