Votes: 87 6.4%

• Total voters

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
So yes, but
I didn't kill BEAR! The cute fluffy one in that one encounter. I saw him and I was like, AIGHT this is gonna be a challenge (playing on Hard) but I will NOT harm that pooch. Got through that whole section and then later played fetch with my sweet Bear boy and we had a great time with 0 remorse. So... SUCK IT NAUGHTY DOG, you aint getting me!! (I was literally shouting at my TV saying that as I petted my new pooch)

Although... sorry Alice.

Oct 25, 2017
Yup. They're annoying as hell and deserve every explosive they run into. How do I live with myself? I pretend they're a From Software dog and not cute and nice puppies.

BakedTanooki

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
They need to die, as soon as possible. I learned that quickly, after the first dog used his Witcher senses to find me and ripped my face off.

cnorwood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I killed every single enemy I encountered so far.

And to be honest the whole "every enemy has a name and will behave realistically when you kill their friend" thing hasn't impressed me. So far there's nothing much different than other games, but I'm only halfway through.

Maybe because I'm playing stealthily and most enemies don't notice me until it's too late.

Still loving the game.
On your second playthrough play it like you are playing Uncharted 4 with run and gun stealth. I shoot people and dogs in front of their companions or stealth kill and let others find them just to hear the response.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, I tried killing the owners so they would stay by their corpses but the whines they make when you do that (constantly) are worse than one Yelp when you kill them. Jesus, it's brutal.

Horned Reaper

Nov 7, 2017
When Ellie said "I'm gonna find, and I'm gonna kill every last one of them", she was talking about the dogs obviously. So yeah I killed them all.

My dog would be proud.

Jan 21, 2019
People's attitude towards video game dogs is getting out of hand. If you can shoot a person in the face and hear their screems, just shoot the doggo too.

prodyg

Oct 28, 2017
ive killed ALL of them and I make sure that I kill them FIRST cause they're super annoying in this game.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Went into this game thinking that I'd probably try to avoid dogs if I could. I can seperate videogames from real life and I'm not super upset about virtually killing animals but... I dunno. I hated the screaming dog from the gameplay reveal thing.

But then I got to the area with the first dog and I was already a broken man and, as soon as it started tracking my scent, I just lobbed a molotov at it. Fuck that.

bioboybio

Apr 21, 2020
My (un)official subtitle for the game now stands as "The Last of Us Part 2: All Dogs Go To Heaven" at this rate

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Thankfully the dogs aren't as common as I was afraid they'd be, I encountered maybe ten dogs in total so far (80% through the game judging by the chapter list).
But I am a little salty about Neil flat out lying about the possibility of not killing any dogs, you kill one in an unavoidable QTE, for fuck's sake.

Do better, Neil.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Spoiler - it's a video game, they aren't real.

Do people think they're enlightened, posting this over and over? A realistic depiction of something unpleasant can be unpleasant for some people. Stop trying to act like you're better or wiser than anyone, because you're not.

"im immune to uncomfortable scenes in media because its not real" what a boring way to experience stories that must be.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
i didn't even pet the dog and i was mad when
i was forced to play fetch with one dog so i could open a door

Taking that argument further, what other content would be okay in a video game because "it's not real", in your opinion?
eating a pizza without pineapple
buying a Ubisoft game
saying Steam isn't DRM

Tiber

Nov 1, 2017
Taking that argument further, what other content would be okay in a video game because "it's not real", in your opinion?

Depends on the age rating and context.

Running over a crowd of people in GTA? Always been a part of the series. Doing it in real life? Rather frowned upon.

Last edited:

PhaZe 5

Oct 27, 2017
I saved my first encounter with this area while playing the game earlier today:

Directly afterwards I decided to take a break from the game for today.

Wow I never created that specific kind of situation and it's pretty rough to watch. Never had a dog as the last thing left alive in my game because they were usually priority 1. So it was usually an explosive, a single gunshot, or a molotov. Basically painless sans the latter.

Dinjooh

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Running over a crowd of people in GTA? Always been a part of the series. Doing it in real life? Rather frowned upon.

giphy.gif

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Depends on the age rating and context.

Definitely, but it is an ill-thought defense.
All kinds of transgressive content is not okay in video games, despite "not being real". People are allowed to feel strongly about violence, animal abuse and other content in games regardless.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
So far, Seattle day 1 (after 2h of game, I'm starting to worry) I haven't even killed a dude. But if they come at me, they are going down. Fuck you, digital murder dog.