• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Have you or anyone you know had an OLED screen experience burn-in?

• Yes, and the image retention was permanent

Votes: 242 27.7%
  • Yes, but it went away over time

Votes: 28 3.2%
  • Nope, don't know anyone that's experienced it

Votes: 514 58.7%
  • It's a big overblown issue that's very, very rare

Votes: 144 16.5%
  • Other

Votes: 20 2.3%

• Total voters

Vault Boy

Nov 2, 2017
Here's what my C7 looked like after less than 2 years of heavy gaming:

Pqx5eBi.jpg

rdVYfdY.jpg

Having said that, the image quality for OLED is so good that I replaced it with a CX...but with the Best Buy 5-year warranty this time.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I had all the correct settings on, and ran the pixel refresher daily. None of them will prevent cumulative burn in if you're not careful with fixed logos/tickers. I had listened to all the ' you won't get burn in if you have the anti burn in settings on' and 'the new models won't get burn in' so figured I'd be safe
That's only supposed to run every 2000 hours of use.
You're killing the TV by running it daily.

mojo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
last time I had burn in on a tv was the plasma I had in 08 that still has the sfiv health and super bars on it lol

TaKeRx

Oct 25, 2017
Both my C7 and C8s had this issue. Thankfully LG covered the parts and I paid the labor for the work. Definitely worth it as I had very bad burn in on both sets.

Kevin360

OG Direct OP
Oct 25, 2017
I had the Netflix logo burnt in on my 2016 LG OLED panel. It was only noticeable on a red/yellow background though.
I had this, and had letterbox burn-in. You could always see the bars at the top and bottom of the screen. but most prevalent on reddish hues.

It was a B6. Still upgraded to a CX in Spring 2020 (I should add that I paid for the 5 year Best Buy warranty for the CX).

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, three of them. Two at my parent's (burnt in channel logos and banners from tv shows) and my own set with burnt in BOTW red hearts and the yellow and green icons from the tv's youtube app.
It happens, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Shit is cumulative, play anything with fixed icons or pictures for long enough and you'll get it sooner or later. For me it only took ~200 hours of BOTW and those hearts are there forever.
Theyre only visible on top of a full red/yellow/green screen so not much of a problem, but they're there

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
My B7 is still as clean as it was nearly four years ago, zero signs of burn-in despite using it for games 75 - 85% of the time, but I also understand that it's an inevitability as the organic compounds in the pixels degrade. By the time my TV starts to show any noticeable signs of burn-in though, I'll be ready to upgrade, hopefully to one of those evo panels.

TaKeRx

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder for the people that played/used the TV for hundreds of hours and don't see any burn-in have done a red/magenta screen check to make sure. I thought the same until I did that and at that point I didn't care lol, but thankfully LG hooked it up.

WadeIt0ut

Oct 28, 2017
Iowa
I've only ever seen or know someone who has had it on the internet. No one I know personally I'm on my 5th or so OLED TV and never had it.

I also don't keep my electronics as long as some though. I tend to upgrade my stuff before the old ones resale value is completely gone.

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder for the people that played/used the TV for hundreds of hours and don't see any burn-in have done a red/magenta screen check to make sure. I thought the same until I did that and at that point I didn't care lol, but thankfully LG hooked it up.

this is how I check mine for burn in. There's some YouTube videos you can load up or full screen images to check r g and b and burn in usually shows up on the r

Still good on mine

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Several friends had burn in with their OLED screens. Two were permanent and one was temporary that went away after a while.

digitalsea

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Got the FFXIV mana bar burnt in. It's only really noticeable on red backgrounds, and fairly low on the screen, so you hardly notice it.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
Yup, one of my friends has pretty serious burn in on his iPhone X screen. However, that's the only burn in I know of and I own several devices(and a TV) with OLED displays.

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
I had an E6 and experienced burn-in about year and a half or so after I purchased it. Don't even know where it had come from. Was a perfect circle, about 1 1/2" in diameter on the upper half of the screen. Don't even know what game or background image from a station could have caused it.

I have had a CX now for about 10 months and I probably have put almost as many hours into it in working from home as I did with my E6 when I got the burn-in. However, I haven't had any issues with my CX at all.

Hoggle

Mar 25, 2021
No. 12 months with a CX.

Although I do baby it a bit. I turn off the screen if I leave the room even for a minute (saved it to the quick menu), and I turn it off for a second when YouTube or Netflix load their red splash screen.

I also don't play too many games with HUDs.

Last edited:

El Crono

Oct 27, 2017
Mexico
I'm in the market for a C1 and I thought that it included LG's warranty for burn-in. If it doesn't then buying the extended warranty is a no-brainer, specially if you don't plan on switching TVs or buying another set for the next 5 or so years.

Cthulhu_Steev

Oct 27, 2017
That sucks and should be covered by LG, then! How many hours was the tv on service when the burn in happened? I'm now at 1,600 hrs with my C9 without burn in but had a panel change early on die some banding issues.

Honestly, I've got used to the little off-colour band at the bottom, and I couldn't be bothered with trying to get a replacement (especially in Covid Year Zero!).

I was isolating/working from home and Sky News was literally on from 7am till 5pm+. I wouldn't care, I wasn't even in the main room most of the time. Just thought it wouldn't happen to me - I'm super careful now though, and I don't regret buying one and I'll certainly be buying an LG OLED if I get a new one in the next few years.

That's only supposed to run every 2000 hours of use.
You're killing the TV by running it daily.

Eh?! It's on auto so it runs every time the TV goes into standby if it's been on for more than four hours.

I know LG have their issues, but I don't think allowing an automatic process to run that actively kills the TV is one of them.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Honestly, I've got used to the little off-colour band at the bottom, and I couldn't be bothered with trying to get a replacement (especially in Covid Year Zero!).

I was isolating/working from home and Sky News was literally on from 7am till 5pm+. I wouldn't care, I wasn't even in the main room most of the time. Just thought it wouldn't happen to me - I'm super careful now though, and I don't regret buying one and I'll certainly be buying an LG OLED if I get a new one in the next few years.

Eh?! It's on auto so it runs every time the TV goes into standby if it's been on for more than four hours.

I know LG have their issues, but I don't think allowing an automatic process to run that actively kills the TV is one of them.
It does a light basic anti-burn in measure for a few minutes every time the TV has been on for more than 4 hours. The "pixel refresher" is a full-on 30(I think) minute cycle that happens automatically every 2000 hours, or you can engage it manually if you see IR.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry, when you said that you "ran the pixel refresher daily" I thought you were talking about manually running the "Pixel Cleaner" function from the menu.
Not that you left the TV in standby so the automatic one could run after every four hours of use.
The "Pixel Cleaner" function is the one that the TV runs every 2000 hours.

Sophistry

Banned
Jun 12, 2021
I have a C7 and have the Netflix logo burned into the screen on the bottom. It isn't really noticeable when watching stuff, but is pretty visible on single color screens.

Niks

Oct 25, 2017
Every year since like 2016 we hear "newer panels won't have X problem". Yet these threads continue to exist annually.

Truth is we won't know 2020 TV's are faring until 2023.

Exactly.
If you go with OLED expect to replace your tv after 4-5 years. If you don't mind that, go for it. OLED is amazing.

Coztoomba

Oct 28, 2017
I just ran one of those colour tests from YouTube on my 4 year old (I think?) C7 and it's clean as a whistle.

I don't watch any FTA TV with watermarks or anything. My content is pretty varied. I think if I was the type to play Overwatch / Fortnite / Apex or whatever of a 2/3 hours each night I'd be a little concerned. Honestly even my single player stints normally don't go past 3 hours and would be broken up with some general TV watching.

cb1115

Oct 25, 2017
nothing noticeable yet after 6 months, as expected.

the bright red and yellow HUD in Ghost of Tsushima does make me nervous though. Especially since I'm playing in HDR 😭

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I know someone with a C7 who got it bad.

It was obviously problematic enough , as LG changed the pixel structure of the red subpixel for all models after that.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Only person I know who got himself a LG..C7 I think? for gaming had severe burn in and other issues and said he's never getting another one.
I think after less than 12 months.
He's usually very careful too.

Should be less of an issue with more modern sets though

Cthulhu_Steev

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry, when you said that you "ran the pixel refresher daily" I thought you were talking about manually running the "Pixel Cleaner" function from the menu.
Not that you left the TV in standby so the automatic one could run after every four hours of use.
The "Pixel Cleaner" function is the one that the TV runs every 2000 hours.
Heh, no problem. You had me terrified and checking the manual!

Jul 20, 2020
Modern Oleds seem to be much better at avoiding it, especially if you watch/play a diversity of content...coming from someone with 17 days in cod in under a years time.

Fair Witness

Jun 25, 2018
Austin, TX, USA
I have an old LG OLED from 2015 that I used for thousands of hours with a mix of gaming and movie watching it didn't get burn in. Currently I have a CX OLED and no issue there either, I'm not personally worried about it for my usage.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
I'm really interested in seeing how the Switch OLED's screen holds up with long, UI heavy games, like Xenoblade 2.
My concern is that I don't really use my Switch all that much, and there was a time when I noticed it was on and had some error message on the screen, and I don't know if it was like that for hours or days or what. I'm not too concerned with a lot of regular modern content, but old games with static HUDs and stuff potentially freezing when I'm away does worry me when it comes to OLED screens.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, on two phones. It's just annoying on a phone, but I'd consider it intolerable on a TV.

"New screens don't have that problem any more", they say. Maybe so, but how many times have we heard that one before?

Mr.Vic20

Oct 31, 2017
I'm in my 4th year of being an OLED TV owner and both of mine continue to perform without burn in.

Cruxist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This fear keeps me from getting an OLED. I know all the new ones have fancy tech/whatever, but I'm not going to buy a new tv in 3 years. My current TV is 9 years old. Next year, I'll be getting a new one.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
only have 1200 hours on my CX, but no issues so far. I baby it more than I probably need to
i'm slightly concerned with football season starting though

TyrantII

Oct 25, 2017
Boston
Man, who are these 1/4 people and why are they leaving an image on their screen 24/7!?

I will say you can't just leave an OLED on and walk away or fall asleep regularly, but if you turn off a tv when not in use you will have zero issues with modern OLED.

I haven't even gotten IR let alone BI in my C9, something that was an issue with my 1080P Samsung plasma before it was worn in a bit (Bloodborne HUD got me there).

Last edited:

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
I think the newer sets are okay but a couple of guys in my Destiny clan have burn-in. I think they have C7s.

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
Burn in is totally not a thing any longer, as long as you hide taskbark and desktop icons, dim logos, don't use too much brightness, don't view the same content, don't play certain games, don't play just one game, don't view movies with black bars all the time... the thread.
I mean black bars literally won't do shit to an OLED. Bright yellows are what you should be concerned with if anything but I'm sure you and your trolling don't actually care. For what it's worth LG is covering burn-in for 5 years on their newest panels so the fraction of people that encounter the issue will be that much smaller.

The Argus

Oct 28, 2017
For what it's worth LG is covering burn-in for 5 years on their newest panels so the fraction of people that encounter the issue will be that much smaller.

I believe that's only for the Evo Panels on the G1 and Z1. Kinda feel stupid for getting the 5 year Geek Squad warranty on my G1 only to see the notification pop-up that I now had a 5 year LG warranty a week after delivery. Oh well, double protected I guess.

SkekesisVR

Jan 2, 2018
My Samsung Galaxy S7 had the home screen and notificaiton bar burned into it after a year and a half. You could see it on a white background pretty clearly. Tried all the different videos to 'unstuck' the pixels but was never able to

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
No. 12 months with a CX.

Although I do baby it a bit. I turn off the screen if I leave the room even for a minute (saved it to the quick menu), and I turn it off for a second when YouTube or Netflix load their red splash screen.

I also don't play too many games with HUDs.

That sounds like an incredibly tedious way to use a TV.

My Samsung Galaxy S7 had the home screen and notificaiton bar burned into it after a year and a half. You could see it on a white background pretty clearly. Tried all the different videos to 'unstuck' the pixels but was never able to

Had this on both my S7 and S9. Think it's pretty much unavoidable on phones since you're using the same apps constantly. That's why I'd not that excited for OLED tablets and happy with the mini LED on the new iPad Pros.