• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
As someone with anxiety, this makes me furious. Video at the link.

The Root said:
An emergency room physician has been suspended after a video of her mocking a patient claiming to be suffering from an anxiety attack was posted to Facebook, according to the San Francisco Chronicle.

In the video, Dr. Beth Keegstra, of El Camino Hospital in Los Gatos, is seen doubting Samuel Bardwell's account of what happened to him, saying, "You are the least sick of all the people who are here, who are dying. So you put your head up. Don't try to tell me you can't move. Come on. Sit up."

She tries to force Bardwell to sit up by pulling at his arm, even though he clearly tells her that he is unable to.

"You want us to wheel you to your house in a gurney?," she asks him.

Bardwell was hospitalized Monday after experiencing an anxiety attack after a basketball practice. His father, Donald, said Samuel has a history of anxiety attacks, for which he takes Klonopin. It treats seizures, panic disorder, and anxiety. Samuel had not been taking the sedative leading up the Monday anxiety attack.

"She never first came in and introduced herself," Donald said. "She never said her name, she never asked for his name, she never really examined him."

Keegstra even accused Donald and his son of coming in for drugs.

"She said, 'I know why you people are here, you people who come here for drugs,' and I said 'What do you mean you people?'" Donald said. "She was rambling on so angrily that's why I pulled out my phone."

El Camino Hospital released a statement saying that Keegstra has been "removed from the work schedule, pending further investigation."

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
ER is an extremely stressful place and I think ED physicians get exasperated sometimes when people roll in for anything other than life threatening injuries or conditions. Hard to maintain perspective

That being said it isn't acceptable to berate patients like this and the suspension is more than justified

Edit
Apparently this was interpreted as a defense of the doctor rather than an acknowledgement of her racist behavior being unacceptable. Note: racism is unacceptable no matter how tired you are

Last edited:

Deleted member 4247

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's fucking terrible. I get anxiety/panic attacks, and it's no joke. You literally feel like you're about to die. Even if you rationally know what's going on it's very scary, and then getting treated like this by a doctor... Horrible.

Oct 27, 2017
ER is an extremely stressful place and I think ED physicians get exasperated sometimes when people roll in for anything other than life threatening injuries or conditions. Hard to maintain perspective

That being said it isn't acceptable to berate patients like this and the suspension is more than justified

So what was the point of the first part of your post?

Amnesty

Nov 7, 2017

I think that's when it may be best for them to take a leave then, because that's basically compassion fatigue. The work of a doctor suffers if they can't treat patients humanely anymore.

TinfoilHatsROn

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
"You people", huh? Glad the dude had his phone. Fuck her. He's suffering and being told your pain isn't legitimate is horrible. On top of being a good ol' racist.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Just before Thanksgiving last year I had the worst anxiety attack of my life. I legitimately thought I was having a heart attack. I can't imagine trying to convey my distress to someone while they completely ignored my symptoms. Thankfully, the ambulance that responded was civil, helpful and professional. Shout out Greenfield Township emergency services!

Jan 18, 2018
There is no excuse for this and she should be fired.

However something needs to be done about all the people who do go into the ER simply looking for drugs.We had to take our grandmother in and it was a 5 hour wait. Meanwhile, obvious junkies wailing and screaming about how much pain they were in so they could get their next fix.

I dont know how this can be addressed without fucking over legitimate patients.

SeeingeyeDug

Oct 28, 2017
I can understand why somebody would lose their composure while also thinking that they shouldn't have

Doctor was seen talking to the guard before approaching the patient while looking at the patient suspiciously. The patient told his mom to pull out her phone because he had a bad feeling about their interaction. Doctor was racist.

I saw this news earlier so that info might not be in the OP article.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017

Sounds like there was more than just that.

She said, 'I know why you people are here, you people who come here for drugs,' and I said 'What do you mean you people?'" Donald said. "She was rambling on so angrily that's why I pulled out my phone."

Deleted member 4247

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I visited the ER last week as I was having one of my worst panic attacks yet. Even though I rationally knew it was most likely "just" another attack, this one felt different to me, so I thought what if it wasn't? I decided to play it safe and go in, and I'm so glad I was treated with respect even though there was once again nothing physically wrong with me. Can't imagine being ridiculed like that when you feel like you're dying.

Oct 28, 2017

What does any of the first part have to do with her clearly implying that they are here for drugs because they are black?

OP
OP
ElectricBlanketFire

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
That is a legendarily bad read

Who fakes an anxiety attack to get Klonopin of all things
When I was in college I had my wisdom teeth out and developed a very bad dry socket. I went back to the dentist who proceeded to accuse me of faking it in order to get more pain pills despite me telling him they did nothing to help. I ended up driving home in the middle of the night to go to my hometown dentist who took one look and said, "Yep, that's a dry socket."

I ended up getting my bill waived.

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
What does any of the first part have to do with her clearly implying that they are here for drugs because they are black?
clearly if they were merely stressed they wouldn't start doing racist stuff - there is a base of racism there that is unacceptable. I've talked to plenty of ED physicians (including at this hospital) and they are often impatient but not outright hostile like this person was. I'm not disagreeing with you guys here

Son Lamar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Alabama

I know it's not your intent but that whole thing seems to be searching for a reason for her to be that way because she was stressed etc nah if you stressed or upset and your anger comes out in racist ass statements its highly likely you racist af plus the studies shown that doctors often treat black ppl with worse care because they believe they have higher pain tolerance etc

She came in there with an agenda a racist one fuck her and good on hospital. Also you should never handle a patient like that

I can understand why somebody would lose their composure while also thinking that they shouldn't have
Actually nvm you're sympathizing with the wrong person
clearly if they were merely stressed they wouldn't start doing racist stuff - there is a base of racism there that is unacceptable. I've talked to plenty of ED physicians (including at this hospital) and they are often impatient but not outright hostile like this person was. I'm not disagreeing with you guys here
And you are continuing to show her sympathy at this point I take back my 1st post it most certainly is your intention to show her compassion and both sides this situation, you're no better than her pathetic

Last edited:

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
I know it's not your intent but that whole thing seems to be searching for a reason for her to be that way because she was stressed etc nah if you stressed or upset and your anger comes out in racist ass statements its highly likely you racist af plus the studies shown that doctors often treat black ppl with worse care because they believe they have higher pain tolerance etc

She came in there with an agenda a racist one fuck her and good on hospital. Also you should never handle a patient like that

Actually nvm you're sympathizing with the wrong person

And you are continuing to show her sympathy at this point I take back my 1st post it most certainly is your intention to show her compassion and both sides this situation, you're no better than her pathetic

I was assuming that he was saying that at first glance, you may think they're just burnt out from the job and stressors, but that this wasn't the case in this situation because the person was obviously racist. I'm thinking the poster was trying to personalize the situation with that tidbit rather than excuse her. Least I'm hoping that's the case.

Son Lamar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Alabama
I was assuming that he was saying that at first glance, you may think they're just burnt out from the job and stressors, but that this wasn't the case in this situation because the person was obviously racist. I'm thinking the poster was trying to personalize the situation with that tidbit rather than excuse her. Least I'm hoping that's the case.
I would agree with you be when they had an opportunity to clarify they didn't they doubled down on that line of thinking, i been on this site long enough to know when ppl do that what their intentions are but I'll be happy to be proven wrong tho

Dark_EMT

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
User banned (24 hours): Rationalizing racial profiling.
I don't know how race was brought into this. But there's a lot of people that fake a lot of things just to get meds. Unfortunately the Dr was wrong here and was quic to generalize this person with people that fake symptoms.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Ive gone to the ER for panic attacks twice over the years. Both times to make sure I wasnt having a heart attack.

Both times the Doctors either laughed at me and rolled their eyes/ were generally shitty and made sure to say "just so you know, we will NOT give you drugs." This shit could be avoided if someone would just give me a script for the crippling panic attacks that happen to me every few years or so, but instead they accuse me of being a drug addict and tell me to suck it up.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Sever anxiety attacks are literally the worst things I've experienced.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
I would agree with you be when they had an opportunity to clarify they didn't they doubled down on that line of thinking, i been on this site long enough to know when ppl do that what their intentions are but I'll be happy to be proven wrong tho

Yeah. I know. Hard to tell nowadays. Unlike this joker above me with the "I don't know how race was brought into this" nonsense.

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
racism cannot be excused by the racist just having a bad day. my first reaction is to try and understand the situation but I think it's pretty clear now that this person's behavior was beyond a reaction to normal stress and was in fact racially motivated

apologies for not making this more clear

Dark_EMT

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Quote me next time bud.

Again the Dr was wrong for dismissing the symptoms in that way. But where is the racial bias here? Have you worked at the ER before? Even though medical professionals are not supposed to dismiss any symptoms, some get tunnel vision and start diagnosing based on previous events.

Son Lamar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Alabama
racism cannot be excused by the racist just having a bad day. my first reaction is to try and understand the situation but I think it's pretty clear now that this person's behavior was beyond a reaction to normal stress and was in fact racially motivated
It is nothing to understand just because you have a bad day doesn't excuse it and you looking for her an excuse doesn't help either just makes it looks like youre showing her compassion for a bad day

Yeah. I know. Hard to tell nowadays. Unlike this joker above me with the "I don't know how race was brought into this" nonsense.
Cause ppl don't believe it's racism unless they hear nigger then it's all well why can't we say it too?

I don't know how race was brought into this. But there's a lot of people that fake a lot of things just to get meds. Unfortunately the Dr was wrong here and was quic to generalize this person with people that fake symptoms.
common sense is how abd all the studies showing black ppl are treated worse than their white counterpart and literal the fact that she said YOU PEOPLE while is a Known code for black ppl

I got you with quote bud happy?

Last edited:

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
There is no excuse for this and she should be fired.

However something needs to be done about all the people who do go into the ER simply looking for drugs.We had to take our grandmother in and it was a 5 hour wait. Meanwhile, obvious junkies wailing and screaming about how much pain they were in so they could get their next fix.

I dont know how this can be addressed without fucking over legitimate patients.

Better treatment options for junkies so that they have a place to go that can hear them (if not necessarily give them a low-dose narcotic to help them through) and universal health care to have better options for people to get care than the ER. Even in a better world visiting the ER is always going to suck, but we can definitely make it suck less.

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
ER is an extremely stressful place and I think ED physicians get exasperated

I'm going to stop you right there.

Nope. Not acceptable. It's a stressful and super important job and the standard for care has to be sky high. This person, at best, failed that standard extremely. At worst is a racist.

ISOM

Banned
Nov 6, 2017

But they're trained to be in stressful environments. If they can't handle it then they shouldn't be an ER physician period. `

Dark_EMT

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
But they're trained to be in stressful environments. If they can't handle it then they shouldn't be an ER physician period. `
Nobody is trained for the amount of BS at an ER. Nurses do some clinical hrs and drs do whatever they do. You learn once you're on the job.

A new nurse would've probably freaked out while a more seasoned one would be quick to act.

In this case the more "seasoned" Dr was quick to diagnose it as he was faking it. Which was very, very wrong and should be held accountable.

Last edited: