• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Who is this random account?
A person with access to TheWrap Pro that can see the paywalled article.
HBO Max 'going away' isn't clear at all based on the Wrap screenshots that were posted. The specific quote all this is based on is HBO Max is being folded under HBO. That could just be an org change with painful layoffs or it could mean that Max gets rebranded as something else. But the Wrap article makes it clear that Casey Bloys' role is actually increasing which means WB is still going to be producing high end content, just apparently less of it.

View: https://twitter.com/Blerdybynature/status/1554927439071121409

View: https://twitter.com/Blerdybynature/status/1554927456364249091

Yup.
A less sensational thread title would be:

"HBO Max Production to be folded into HBO; Head of HBO poised to take on senior role across all WBD scripted programming; Combined HBO Max and Discovery+ to have a new name"

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Again, that is not happening at all.

It is. I'm not saying the content won't end up on whatever new service they have. But the productions will be handled by the linear HBO production staff and the shows will not be exclusive to the service. They will be simulcast.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
No. There will still be a WBD/HBO streaming service. It will probably be called something a little different from "HBO Max" and it will incorporate content from discovery+.

What this news story is about is WBD no longer having a separate scripted content division just for Max Originals; HBO themselves will handle scripted content for both HBO and their streaming service. A lot of people didn't realize they had a separate division just for Max Originals in the first place.
But cutting 70% of their staff will mean a lot less content overall.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Wait, does this mean Titans and Doom Patrol are done? Fraser gets screwed TWICE?!

There is legitimate reason to be worried about both of those, yes.

Doom Patrol finished filming its fourth season in June. Titans will finish filming its fourth season in a few weeks.

And it's not just a question of, "Will they be cancelled?" It's also a question of, "Will those finished/nearly finished seasons even air?"

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I'm mentally preparing myself to completely walk away from WB as a company. If they kill the shows I care about, they won't get a dime out of me for anything - movies, TV shows, video games, etc - until Zaslav retires or gets his ass run out the company. Absolutely zero forgiveness.

Generally if they aren't producing content you want they shouldn't get your money. Thats how it should work.

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't get into the entertainment business if you don't want to make entertainment. I don't give a shit what it costs them. They never should've bought WB at all.
They didn't "buy" wb, AT&T offloaded it and merged it with discovery. And do you think these shows grow on trees if you don't care?

On another point whenever password sharing threads are on here and people praise it then I see the same people complaining in these threads

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
It is. I'm not saying the content won't end up on whatever new service they have. But the productions will be handled by the linear HBO production staff and the shows will not be exclusive to the service. They will be simulcast.
Right, they will be simulcast, with the HBO cable channel as the legacy distribution network and the streaming service as the primary one.

There is no new focus on the cable network.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Right, they will be simulcast, with the HBO cable channel as the legacy distribution network and the streaming service as the primary one.

this is semantics

the team that runs the cable network is the one grabbing all the power in this scenario. slice that any way you want.

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
this is semantics

the team that runs the cable network is the one grabbing all the power in this scenario. slice that any way you want.
A content team is a content team. That they have history programming a cable channel is really immaterial. The steaming service will have the eyes and the reach, it is the primary distribution network.

TorianElecdra

Feb 25, 2020
Even if the content is in the new app, this is still a terrible branding misstep imo.

I feel bad for the people losing their jobs and hoping they land on their feet, but streaming services and shows are bloated and in need of a massive haircut. There's only so much content a person can consooom.

Aarglefarg

Oct 27, 2017
Please accept your merger gift.

D3mEGon.png

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
Jesus Christ HBO Max was seriously my favorite of the streaming apps, I cannot believe they are gutting this so fucking bad.

Deleted member 10981

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 24, 2022
Gotta love how smart American entertainment companies are.

> TBS, TNT, Adult Swim, and Cartoon Network have a bunch of great shows that while they aren't popular, have their audiences
> Said shows get their next seasons on HBO Max to expand its catalog
> Nobody watches some of these shows (soma are never advertised) and they get cancelled
> Now with this merger, the rest of such shows are also probably going to get cancelled

Great business acumen, genius even.

RolandGunner

Oct 30, 2017
Yes, Bloys will be running content for HBO as he has been for a long time now. His role will expand and become more important because the other half of HBO creative (the Max team) will be gone.

That has no bearing on the new strategy to focus on original content for linear and not streaming. There will not be a lot of new scripted content made for the streaming service.

These are two separate issues.

We'll find out tomorrow but that's far from clear. Its very possible for HBO productions to put content directly on Max, or whatever the replacement product will be. Its basically the same balancing act that Paramount is doing pushing stuff either as a P+ exclusive or have it start on a cable channel. At the end of the day WB Discovery needs the revenue that Max delivers, so they have to keep those customers somehow.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Even if the content is in the new app, this is still a terrible branding misstep imo.

I feel bad for the people losing their jobs and hoping they land on their feet, but streaming services and shows are bloated and in need of a massive haircut. There's only so much content a person can consooom.
Here we go again. You don't need to watch everything. Options are nice.

harry the spy

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't followed anything re hbo and discovery and what not, completely out of the loop. Does this mean that the hbo max app is going to disappear?

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017

Not everything is made for you.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
The Second Golden Age of Television is over.

I haven't followed anything re hbo and discovery and what not, completely out of the loop. Does this mean that the hbo max app is going to disappear?
Not likely, but possible.

What might happen is they're going to Frankenstein Discovery + and HBO Max together under some new umbrella (HBODiscovery, Discovery HBO, DHBO)

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Generally if they aren't producing content you want they shouldn't get your money. Thats how it should work.

My point is more that even if they do somehow greenlight something I want after all this shit goes down, I won't give them money for it until Zaslav is out of the company.

Like if they greenlight a 100% accurate to the comics John Constantine live-action series, oh well. I won't sign up for HBO+ or whatever they call the new service to see it. Them's the breaks.

It looks like a new app is going to be made instead that includes the surviving content from HBO/Max and Discovery+.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
A content team is a content team. That they have history programming a cable channel is really immaterial.

idk what you are trying to say here

they aren't making scripted shows exclusively for streaming anymore. you can spin that to mean whatever you want it to mean, but what it results in is fewer shows greenlit and less content overall. that is the worry for most and that is an accurate assessment of what is happening.

Oct 27, 2017
Naw, read what Matt or Serene are posting.
I don't know who they are, if you could link what they're talking about I'd take a look. We're going to find out for sure tomorrow but everything so far is been related to Max programming only.

Unless we have some really key insiders in these threads everybody is basically drawing from the same pool of information right now. I think there is at least one insider but I don't recall them saying anything that hasn't seem to match what everybody else has said so far.

GasProblem

Prophet of Truth
Nov 18, 2017
Heh. HBO Max just launched in my country. HBO is only available through a certain provider and a pain in the ass to get. Guess I'm not watching any HBO content ever again.

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018

The follow up tweets on this one don't sound like he has significant inside knowledge. It sounds like he's just saying there will be news about HBO Max shows and listing a bunch of popular ones. Stuff like "Let's just hope that it won't be as hard but still" and "These are in danger until we know for sure what the new CEO is doing with this merger." don't sound like he knows anything specific.

We should probably stop quoting random Tweets...

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
idk what you are trying to say here

they aren't making scripted shows exclusively for streaming anymore. you can spin that to mean whatever you want it to mean, but what it results in is fewer shows greenlit and less content overall. that is the worry for most and that is an accurate assessment of what is happening.
Yes, that's all true. What's not true is that there is any new focus on the cable channel.

I'm not spinning anything. You said:

That has no bearing on the new strategy to focus on original content for linear and not streaming.
There is no new focus on original content for linear and not streaming.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
I don't know who they are, if you could link what they're talking about I'd take a look. We're going to find out for sure tomorrow but everything so far is been related to Max programming only.

Unless we have some really key insiders in these threads everybody is basically drawing from the same pool of information right now. I think there is at least one insider but I don't recall them saying anything that hasn't seem to match what everybody else has said so far.

easy way to see this is that Max programming is getting gutted, the HBO you know from the HBO Now days with some shows saved from the Max Originals (if any) will move over to the new WBD service that has HBO content in it.

harry the spy

Oct 25, 2017
This is so weird, I don't live in the US anymore but I feel HBO has ten times the brand power discovery does. If my kids lose Sesame Street I riot. Fuck we are going to lose Tokyo vice aren't we.

Elry09

Nov 11, 2017
I wonder how soon until they start pulling Max original shows off the platform? People have already noted that MAX original movies like The Witches, MoonShot, American Pickle and Charm City Kings have already been pulled

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I'm talking about "exclusively" for streaming, as they have been doing for Max.

Let me make that clear.
Lol, ok well that's different.

It seems very clear they have little to no interest in producing streaming-specific original scripted content any longer.
Yes, agreed. That not the same as focusing on cable. That's just reducing the output and sharing content access multiple distribution channels.

The streaming service will still the the primary channel for WBD output. That output will just be (a lot) less than it has been.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017

You're making it sound like HBO is not gonna be streaming on whatever the app becomes and the HBO Max scripted content will, which as we're using the same pool of information, doesn't make it seem like that at all.

Gotta love how smart American entertainment companies are.

> TBS, TNT, Adult Swim, and Cartoon Network have a bunch of great shows that while they aren't popular, have their audiences
> Said shows get their next seasons on HBO Max to expand its catalog
> Nobody watches some of these shows (soma are never advertised) and they get cancelled
> Now with this merger, the rest of such shows are also probably going to get cancelled

Great business acumen, genius even.
way to grasp victory from the jaws of defeat. I bet Netflix's board is partying it up right now

Status
Not open for further replies.