• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

maenckman

Dec 3, 2018
Does the PS5 dashboard look slightly washed out in HDR as compared to SDR for anyone else? I'm on an LG B7, and no matter what I try the colors on the dashboard are just a little more muted in HDR than in SDR.
I am having this problem with any SDR content on PS5. It always looks better when I turn off Sony's 'auto HDR' (which is basically 'HDR always on'). Have you tried playing an SDR game? How does it look in HDR mode compared to 'HDR off'?

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Do Ps4 and PS4pro have different implementations of HDR? I'm getting a pro later this month and I was disappointed by Ps4 amateur on my new 4k TV
Not sure how much of a difference it makes but OG PS4 does 1080p HDR in RGB while Pro outputs 4k HDR in YUV. In my case when I was still using a Samsung KS9000, this simplifies black level setting since the Samsung automatically detects a YUV/YCbCr source, locks out the black level option and automatically sets it to the correct setting for you.

Jokerman

May 16, 2020
Bit of an oldie but I've just started Resident Evil 3 on PC and the HDR looks great to my eyes. Is Resident Evil 2 as good?

Jokerman

May 16, 2020
yes. Just beware that early on there is a scene that is intentionally color graded in a way that might mislead you into thinking the HDR is bad

What impresses me with 3 is the mixture of dark streets and bright neon in shops etc and the fire sequences. I've played through 2 on the Xbox and I don't remember there being such a contrast in lighting, but I'll give it another play through on PC. I like too how it is one of the few games that seems to trigger HDR from within the game, rather than having to do it via settings in Windows.

ZmillA

Oct 27, 2017
What impresses me with 3 is the mixture of dark streets and bright neon in shops etc and the fire sequences. I've played through 2 on the Xbox and I don't remember there being such a contrast in lighting, but I'll give it another play through on PC. I like too how it is one of the few games that seems to trigger HDR from within the game, rather than having to do it via settings in Windows.

There are definitly scenes later on with lots of contrast coming from the environments, but yeah early on it's more naturalistic with it's implementation

OP
OP
EvilBoris

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
*comes in to post about Hitman 3 washed out* Ahhh yes. Paging EvilBoris

I've written about it on my Patreon

From a technical perspective it appears to be the same as 2 and sharing the same tonemapper - which was an upgrade from the 1st game.

I've always played with HDR on and generally I think it looks great.
Even so , there are some differences in the toning which still haven't been fixed, the image in HDR is a little lighter across the mid tones- so darker tones are lighter and maybe appear a little less deep than in SDR. You can help help this a little by dropping the gamma down to 0.8.
Likewise the issues with the error in toning which affect tones such as bloom are still present . Look at the moon in Hawkes bay in HDR and SDR and you'll see a big difference in prevention meaning bloom is less obvious.
There is an argument to say you need less bloom in HdR modes, but I'm not sure if this is intentional/effective .

Unfortunately in the H3 maps which have got some very intentional colour treatments which to clip/raise shadow detail - dropping the gamma then interferes with the balance of the image - using your vision mode becomes too dark and Emmissive materials wnd bloom lose their impact.
With a bigger reliance on colour grading/LUTs/whatever , the overall image needs to be considered differently, I feel they there are further improvements that can be made to exposure/gamma etc when playing in HdR

Jokerman

May 16, 2020
I've only played the first map of 2 but the HDR seemed a bit off on my AF9. I had to whack the brightness up all the way, when setting it up, and it looks slightly off to me. Almost like it is blowing out whites and losing detail.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Quick question about the HDR in Hitman 3.

Am I correct in thinking that the Max. Intensity setting is just the setting for your max nits of your TV? So it shouldn't matter if you put it on 800, where my inner box goes invisible or if I put it on 2000?
Cause the sun is extremely exposed either way.

Gamma leaving at 1.0 right?

OP
OP
EvilBoris

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Quick question about the HDR in Hitman 3.

Am I correct in thinking that the Max. Intensity setting is just the setting for your max nits of your TV? So it shouldn't matter if you put it on 800, where my inner box goes invisible or if I put it on 2000?
Cause the sun is extremely exposed either way.

Gamma leaving at 1.0 right?
It does matter, that box should disappear at the normal value for your TV.
I preferred gamma on about 0.9
The sun should be a perfect disc in Hitman 3

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Playing RE7 on PC on my CX. I set the brightness to 800, as I hear that's what I should target on the CX with HGIG. But the grey box in the calibration screen actually turns completely white at 600?

goaman

Oct 5, 2019
Playing RE7 on PC on my CX. I set the brightness to 800, as I hear that's what I should target on the CX with HGIG. But the grey box in the calibration screen actually turns completely white at 600?
I don't mean nonsense but I think lg with the latest firmware has lowered the hdr brightness level in game mode on the CX
www.youtube.com

LG CX Firmware 03.21.09 Improves Dolby Vision but Darkens HDR Game Mode - Fix Coming!

We analysed the latest firmware update of 03.21.09 on the LG CX OLED TV, and found improvements in Dolby Vision picture quality (less posterisation and no mo...

mdf/markus

Oct 30, 2017
I hate to say this.
But I'm at a point now with HDR in games, where I just default to SDR in every single game unless I read about particularly good HDR implementation.

It's just really frustrating that even in games that offer a good HDR image in some scenarios (like Ghost of Tsushima in most outdoor areas), most of the time there always seems to be a downside (like the way to dark indoor areas in GOT).

There are just too few games out there that offer an overall convincing HDR image. And that's a shame as the HDR highs are really high on a good TV.
But I'll always choose the "overall well rounded" experience over the "sometimes maybe good - sometimes maybe shit" kind of situation.

Last edited:

Ego

Banned
Dec 6, 2020
Please excuse me, but... Is the RE8 demo the best HDR implementation to date? Honestly, it has blown me away. Never seen such a precise and artful implementation.

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
I don't mean nonsense but I think lg with the latest firmware has lowered the hdr brightness level in game mode on the CX
www.youtube.com

LG CX Firmware 03.21.09 Improves Dolby Vision but Darkens HDR Game Mode - Fix Coming!

We analysed the latest firmware update of 03.21.09 on the LG CX OLED TV, and found improvements in Dolby Vision picture quality (less posterisation and no mo...

They released another firmware that fixes the lowered game mode brightness already a week or two back.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
I hate to say this.
But I'm at a point now with HDR in games, where I just default to SDR in every single game unless I read about particularly good HDR implementation.

It's just really frustrating that even in games that offer a good HDR image in some scenarios (like Ghost of Tsushima in most outdoor areas), most of the time there always seems to be a downside (like the way to dark indoor areas in GOT).

There are just too few games out there that offer an overall convincing HDR image. And that's a shame as the HDR highs are really high on a good TV.
But I'll always choose the "overall well rounded" experience over the "sometimes maybe good - sometimes maybe shit" kind of situation.

What TV?

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I'm the other way around, even shity HDR implementations like MHW or FF7R looks better to me than SDR. Is just night and day.

OP
OP
EvilBoris

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017

yeah it's still really frustrating. Every time I think we've got to a situation where I think devs have got their heads around it, another game comes out and proves they haven't.
Even weirder is when a sequel comes out and it's noticeably worse than the previous game

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
yeah it's still really frustrating. Every time I think we've got to a situation where I think devs have got their heads around it, another game comes out and proves they haven't.
Even weirder is when a sequel comes out and it's noticeably worse than the previous game
Haha, I was confused there. You seem to have mis-quoted me.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
F'n incredible.

How can one game in one second annoy me so much with their awful HDR implementation (Speaking about the Hitman 3 levels in Hitman 3 which have a massive raised black and grey veil over the whole screen and is dim in general, funny, only the H3 levels, H1 and H2 are mostly gorgeous and perfect) and in the next second comes a game where the HDR is just perfect and impresses me more than anything I've seen in the last 12 months, with basically no HDR settings but still perfect black level and an implementation that finally feels like good HDR again, where light literally feels like light with glowing light sources and an amazingly well spread color and light scheme. Speaking about The Medium.

It looks so good in HDR.
Here's the black level by the way.
On the wide table view you can literally feel the real bright lightbulb shining onto the table, it's crazy.

dc8947ab-9c77-43bb-9fdb-02d92691a053.png

17da925c-503f-4848-b0ff-819af9ff0102.png

Edge-Sangral-The-Medium-20210128-17-33-59.png

Edge-Sangral-The-Medium-20210128-17-32-55.png

149f9087-1f83-4d04-9947-416b36fc934e.png

Last edited:

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
F'n incredible.

How can one in one second annoy me so much with their awful HDR implementation (Speaking about the Hitman 3 levels in Hitman 3 which have a massive raised black and grey veil over the whole screen and is dim in general, funny, only the H3 levels, H1 and H2 are mostly gorgeous and perfect) and in the next second comes a game where the HDR is just perfect and impresses me more than anything I've seen in the last 12 months, with basically no HDR settings but still perfect black level and an implementation that finally feels like good HDR again, where light literally feels like light with glowing light sources and an amazingly well spread color and light scheme. Speaking about The Medium.

It looks so good in HDR.
On the wide table view you can literally feel the real bright lightbulb shining onto the table, it's crazy.

I just got to the Hitman 3 levels yesterday and that lcd layer looks so bad, such a shame because the game is just gorgeous and that problem isn't present in the 1 and 2 missions as you said.

JoJo'sDentCo

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
The Medium HDR is completely broken for me. The brightness is so blown out can't read the text on items most of the time.

PC
LG C9

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
F'n incredible.

How can one game in one second annoy me so much with their awful HDR implementation (Speaking about the Hitman 3 levels in Hitman 3 which have a massive raised black and grey veil over the whole screen and is dim in general, funny, only the H3 levels, H1 and H2 are mostly gorgeous and perfect) and in the next second comes a game where the HDR is just perfect and impresses me more than anything I've seen in the last 12 months, with basically no HDR settings but still perfect black level and an implementation that finally feels like good HDR again, where light literally feels like light with glowing light sources and an amazingly well spread color and light scheme. Speaking about The Medium.

It looks so good in HDR.

Once again you are mixing up your preferences with correctness. While not perfect, the Hitman 3 HDR is quite good.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Once again you are mixing up your preferences with correctness. While not perfect, the Hitman 3 HDR is quite good.

In terms of Hitman 1 and 2 levels in Hitman 3, I absolutely agree. In terms of Hitman 3 levels in Hitman 3, no. It's kinda broken with it's huge grey veil and raised blacks.
Gigantic difference to the other level.

Hitman 1&2:

270632de-465d-4ef4-8c3e-680481783c13.png

Edge-Sangral-HITMAN3-20210127-20-13-21.png

8991aab2-093a-4396-a642-e4df42f7460d.png

Hitman 3:

Edge-Sangral-HITMAN3-20210128-15-00-30.png

Edge-Sangral-HITMAN3-20210128-15-01-11.png

And then in comparison with SDR

7d3d898f-c57c-4844-8ff9-d9d62488838b.png

5749e4ed-289d-491d-8874-e9759715c166.png

Has nothing to do with preference when the same booted game shows a whole better experience in older levels and only the new created ones seem off.

And I'm not alone with this.

Deleted member 46804

Banned
Aug 17, 2018
In terms of Hitman 1 and 2 levels in Hitman 3, I absolutely agree. In terms of Hitman 3 levels in Hitman 3, no. It's kinda broken with it's huge grey veil and raised blacks.
Gigantic difference to the other level.

Hitman 1&2:

270632de-465d-4ef4-8c3e-680481783c13.png

Edge-Sangral-HITMAN3-20210127-20-13-21.png

8991aab2-093a-4396-a642-e4df42f7460d.png

Hitman 3:

Edge-Sangral-HITMAN3-20210128-15-00-30.png

Edge-Sangral-HITMAN3-20210128-15-01-11.png

And then in comparison with SDR

7d3d898f-c57c-4844-8ff9-d9d62488838b.png

5749e4ed-289d-491d-8874-e9759715c166.png

Has nothing to do with preference when the same booted game shows a whole better experience in older levels and only the new created ones seem off.

And I'm not alone with this.

The resident expert here says it is good and that you can lower the gamma slightly if you want to match SDR. How can you tell the difference between them wanting to convey a tone with their third chapter vs your perfect blacks? Just like movies, perfect blacks are a choice.
You can tell before you ever get a glimpse of gameplay. The opening cutscene is like uhhh how did this get past the team. It just doesn't look right.
The cutscenes are straight up compressed garbage and you shouldn't be construing them with gameplay. That being said, the letter boxes are perfect black and the scenes are not, most likely because that's what the dev intended.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
The resident expert here says it is good and that you can lower the gamma slightly if you want to match SDR. How can you tell the difference between them wanting to convey a tone with their third chapter vs your perfect blacks? Just like movies, perfect blacks are a choice.

If they wanted to convey a specific tone, then why the hell doesn't SDR have this too? This argument never makes sense to me.
And I'm so f'n tired of this "intention" discussion, I really am.
Were people so annoying about topic like this 20 years ago or even older when games or, like you said, movie releases just looked garbage and we're just bad but someone, somewhere always said "hey, maybe it's their intention??".

If their intention was to make it so bad that I either deactivate the feature or put the game away completely because it looks straight broken, then congratulations, they achieved that.
And just so you know, I wasn't even talking about "real blacks". A game doesn't need to have pitch "real" black. Like at all. But there's a f'n difference between night in Forza Horizon 4 where it's dark and really dark but you can clearly still see details and it looks great and realistic because the colors are perfectly optimised even without real blacks or a screen, no matter if night or day that has a grey veil all over it and just looks bad and wrong.

And I don't care if the expert here says it's "good". It's also just an opinion. Maybe it's factual "good" on paper, the numbers, fine, but specially after today, after I played The Medium and basically "saw the light" with an HDR implementation that blew me more away than the last 30 HDR games I played, literally. I don't know how anyone who played that can still say it's "good" in Hitman 3 levels. Because in The Medium is phenomenal.

The first time in maybe half a year that something in HDR gave me the same feeling that I had when I saw HDR for the first time. I almost forgot my TV HDR can look like that, no joke. Light feels so unbelievably realistic in this game, it's ridiculous, it literally fucks with my mind.
While all Hitman 3 does is giving me a headache.

Last edited:

Deleted member 46804

Banned
Aug 17, 2018
If they wanted to convey a specific tone, then why the hell doesn't SDR have this too? This argument never makes sense to me.
Were people so annoying about topic like this 20 years ago or even older when games or, like you said, movie releases just looked garbage and we're just bad but someone, somewhere always said "hey, maybe it's their intention??".

If their intention was to make it so bad that I either deactivate the feature or put the game away completely because it looks straight broken, then congratulations, they achieved that.
And just so you know, I wasn't even talking about "real blacks". A game doesn't need to have pitch "real" black. Like at all. But there's a f'n difference between night in Forza Horizon 4 where it's dark and really dark but you can clearly still see details and it looks great and realistic because the colors are perfectly optimised even without real blacks or a screen, no matter if night or day that has a grey veil all over it and just looks bad and wrong.

And I don't care if the expert here says it's "good". It's also just an opinion. Maybe it's factual "good" on paper, the numbers, fine, but specially after today, after I played The Medium and basically "saw the light" with an HDR implementation that blew me more away than the last 30 HDR games I played, literally. I don't know how anyone who played that can still say it's "good" in Hitman 3 levels. Because in The Medium is phenomenal.

The first time in maybe half a year that something in HDR gave me the same feeling that I had when I saw HDR for the first time. I almost forgot my TV HDR can look like that, no joke. Light feels so unbelievably realistic in this game, it's ridiculous, it literally fucks with my mind.
All you are stating is your opinion like people who don't like a calibrated TV and prefer vivid. That's fine but quit pretending something is "broken" when you don't have a clue. The resident expert Evil Boris said it isn't broken, so I'll go with that.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
If a game is suppose to have raised blacks as an artistic decision, they should have them in SDR and HDR equally. Whenever I see this I chalk it up to something getting lost in transition between different team members mastering different aspects of the games presentation. This is something that should hopefully improve as HDR becomes more and more of a standard.

maenckman

Dec 3, 2018

I absolutely agree. If your screenshots represent the reality then HDR in Hitman 1 and 2 looks way better than in Hitman 3. If the latter was an 'artistic choice' I would always prefer the SDR version.
There may be cases where it is a matter of personal opinion/taste but in this case it looks like the opposite of HDR, at least in terms of contrast.
It would be interesting to have a developer comment on whether it looks as 'intended' or something went wrong during development.

RayCharlizard

Nov 2, 2017
Are people using default gamma for The Medium? Their on-screen instructions just say "adjust to your desired brightness level" with a super washed out test image.

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
Are people using default gamma for The Medium? Their on-screen instructions just say "adjust to your desired brightness level" with a super washed out test image.

It's only washed out during the initial boot up, possibly in the options screen too. Wait until you're in game to mess with it. It looks really good at the default setting though, at least on a cx.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Okay cool, I'm on a C7 so I'll start it and see how it goes. Thanks.

Yes, it's very confusing, but once you're in the game it's fine.

www.resetera.com

The Medium |OT| Dual Sensed OT

Also, don't get confused by the brightness setting before you start the game. It's garbage und useless and shows you completely wrong results and the main menu also seems completely dim, but that's not the case in the game. Leave it on standard and just start the game, it will look great and...

I absolutely agree. If your screenshots represent the reality then HDR in Hitman 1 and 2 looks way better than in Hitman 3. If the latter was an 'artistic choice' I would always prefer the SDR version.
There may be cases where it is a matter of personal opinion/taste but in this case it looks like the opposite of HDR, at least in terms of contrast.
It would be interesting to have a developer comment on whether it looks as 'intended' or something went wrong during development.

I mean, I'm known for my own specific special opinions, but in this case, I'm really glad I'm not alone with this, like here:

www.resetera.com

HITMAN 3 |OT| Agent 0047 OT

My biggest beef with this game so far is the HDR on 3 specifically. I have to think this is a bug of some sort, because it's picture perfect on 1 and 2, though I remember having issues with those on PS4 as well. I hope they can fix this for sure. I think they made some questionable but...

RayCharlizard

Nov 2, 2017
Yes, it's very confusing, but once you're in the game it's fine.
Ye I came here cus when trying to configure it I was very thrown off and lowered the gamma quite a bit and the first cutscene was still super washed out so I just quit the game and asked here lol. But after resetting to default and getting into the game proper it looks phenomenal in HDR. Definitely second the other opinions I've read about this being a strong showcase on that front.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Ye I came here cus when trying to configure it I was very thrown off and lowered the gamma quite a bit and the first cutscene was still super washed out so I just quit the game and asked here lol. But after resetting to default and getting into the game proper it looks phenomenal in HDR. Definitely second the other opinions I've read about this being a strong showcase on that front.

The light on the kitchen table when you click on it or when you go to the window in the study, click on the table there and slowly look up to the window is mind-blowing, it's really phenomenal.

IBetUHav

Oct 27, 2017
So best to turn system level HDR off for Control Ultimate Edition on PS5 since the game technically does not have HDR? Just play it in SDR?