• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 32561

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
I'm beginning to think this may have been coincidence. Key word, may. I'm on the fence... HOWEVER

It does draw attention to the fact that the dev herself has transphobic views, as per twitter user octog4y's screens. So, best case scenario-- this is still a couple of transphobes who aren't QUITE wishing death on trans people but don't mind their fanbase thinks they are, and putting the game on sale for 41% hot off the presses of revelations of their transphobia is just coincidence.

Worst case? Nah, quite literally, making a trans suicide joke in just enough markets to make a scene.

Either way, there are other indie devs worth giving your time and money to. In either case, fuck these folks.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
My Sister is Trans (M—>F) and I'm scared every day that she is going to kill herself because of how she is bullied every fucking day by low-life pieces of trash like this. She has always received death threats on Facebook, made fun of by her co-workers and more just because of who she is. She has sought help and everything for what she is going through, but it just isn't enough. People like this developer are a cancer to the planet.

Deleted member 10551

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm beginning to think this may have been coincidence. Key word, may. I'm on the fence... HOWEVER

It does draw attention to the fact that the dev herself has transphobic views, as per twitter user octog4y's screens. So, best case scenario-- this is still a couple of transphobes who aren't QUITE wishing death on trans people but don't mind their fanbase thinks they are, and putting the game on sale for 41% hot off the presses of revelations of their transphobia is just coincidence.

Worst case? Nah, quite literally, making a trans suicide joke in just enough markets to make a scene.

Either way, there are other indie devs worth giving your time and money to. In either case, fuck these folks.

Even if it is conincidence, doesn't change the stuff that's already known. I regret getting this months ago, as do many of my friends.

underFlorence

May 19, 2019
Germany
My Sister is Trans (M—>F) and I'm scared every day that she is going to kill herself because of how she is bullied every fucking day by low-life pieces of trash like this. She has always received death threats on Facebook, made fun of by her co-workers and more just because of who she is. She has sought help and everything for what she is going through, but it just isn't enough. People like this developer are a cancer to the planet.
Gosh, I'm so sorry your sister's environment is so bad. I'm glad she has a sibling like you supporting her! I hope she'll be able to find better surroundings asap.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Christ on a fucking bicycle, that is vile. Straight up wallowing in others misery.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
You know what was worse? Reading the steam forum posts.

Apparently, people who hate transgender people like to call those who disagree with them "mentally ill" now. I look forward to the future as their views become less and less accepted by others.

I saw some posts to the effect of my 88% joke, but unironic. No surprise really

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I just broke up with my girlfriend recently for defending TERF shit and every time she asked me "What did I say that was so offensive?" I look at Tweets like that and wonder how people even fall into the mindset that it's okay to hurt already marginalized individuals. One of my best friends is trans, and often mentions their understanding of why so many trans people try to take their own life, and it really does happen because of people like those mentioned in the OP.

TheTurboFD

Banned
Nov 24, 2017
? You can say "hey man" to someone without knowing them.

The user is looking for attention, just don't feed into it.

On topic, I'll never understand these types of people. Like even if you disagree with someone's point of view / life choices, why do they feel the need to make an even bigger fuss about things. Like how has a trans affected this person to the point that they feel the need to say stupid shit like this. Like jesus christ, these people have some fragile ass egos. Especially since they like to paint that picture on others.

Nov 26, 2017
Found out about this game through Nitrorad, he had good things to say about it so it's disappointing this ended up happening. I heard he's trying to distance himself from it after this so I can only hope that's true, poor guy is probably getting harassed to no end just for talking about this game. Other than that there's not much I can say that hasn't already been said.

Oct 25, 2017
Being a TERF is already pretty low on the basic human decency ladder but mocking suicide rates? I've almost no words for how vile and evil a person would have to be.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Genuinely nauseating, and it's sad to see them leaning into this being the narrative they want to see about their game. I guess they've learned from other recent incidents that pretending to apologize only serves to alienate some of the new hate-dipshit audience (most of whom of course probably have very little genuine interest in the game), and to double down is the best business decision instead. What a culture we've got...

This isn't the sort of thing that necessarily can make much meaningful change long-term (versus something, but for anyone who was into or interested in this game and is disappointed or won't feel okay playing it, here's a very small handful of excellent games from trans and nonbinary developers that you can (and should!) consider supporting instead:
Anodyne 2 by Analgesic Productions (https://store.steampowered.com/app/877810/Anodyne_2_Return_to_Dust/)
Celeste by Extremely OK Games (https://store.steampowered.com/app/504230/Celeste/)
Crowtel Renovations by SinksAdventure (https://store.steampowered.com/app/573520/Crowtel_Renovations/)
Crypt Worlds by Cicada Marionette et al. ??? (https://cicadamarionette.com/Games/CryptWorlds/Main.html)
EVERYTHING IS GOING TO BE OK by alienmelon (https://alienmelon.itch.io/everything-is-going-to-be-ok)
EXTREME MEATPUNKS FOREVER by Heather Flowers (https://hthr.itch.io/extreme-meatpunks-forever)
Haunted Cities Vol. 2 by Kitty Horrorshow (https://kittyhorrorshow.itch.io/haunted-cities-v2)
Lucah: Born of a Dream by melessthanthree (https://store.steampowered.com/app/896460/Lucah_Born_of_a_Dream/)
Paratopic by Arbitrary Metric (https://store.steampowered.com/app/897030/Paratopic/)
We Know the Devil by Date Nighto/Worst Girls Games (https://store.steampowered.com/app/435300/We_Know_the_Devil/)

Would love to see other recommendations that anyone has....it's sad and frustrating that this sort of bullshit is present even in 'indie' game spaces, but there are still loads of devs doing great work that often flies under the radar without ridiculous baggage like this tied to it...

There is a planned LGBTQ+ themed sale in less than 2 weeks in Steam, so it would be a nice time to also pick up some games for you too.

Edit: https://gaymingmag.com/2019/09/steam-is-hosting-an-lgbt-games-sale-this-october/

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017

Sad to read this, I've just for the first time in my life have to face that kind of situation, a close co-worker made that change(M -> F), this was the biggest twist ever, nobody saw it coming at all. Sure it was a big shock at first couple of days, but now thing are settle and I can't believe we can bully her....

But yeah that story is getting insane, this game should be remove from every sold platform...

TheOne

Alt Account
Banned
May 25, 2019
How sure are we that they intended to sell their package at 41% as a sign to be disgusting? Here in Canadian currency, it's shown as 42%. Also, as someone else already mentioned, it's not rare for bundles to have completely random percentage off. I saw 39%, 43%, 61% before so it could possible be a coincidence.

Please note that I am in no way trying to defend the devs. I know damn well about the comments they've made and it's fucking disgusting. I'm just not sure that they intended the specific scenario that we're talking about, that is, to price the bundle at 41% off in order to mock the trans community in a disgusting way (suicide to no fucking joke, and fuck the rest of their pitch anyway).

Deleted member 13148

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How sure are we that they intended to sell their package at 41% as a sign to be disgusting? Here in Canadian currency, it's shown as 42%. Also, as someone else already mentioned, it's not rare for bundles to have completely random percentage off. I saw 39%, 43%, 61% before so it could possible be a coincidence.

Please note that I am in no way trying to defend the devs. I know damn well about the comments they've made and it's fucking disgusting. I'm just not sure that they intended the specific scenario that we're talking about, that is, to price the bundle at 41% off in order to mock the trans community in a disgusting way (suicide to no fucking joke, and fuck the rest of their pitch anyway).
I'm guessing the developers are based in the US, where it's a 41% discount. Given their recent comments, I really don't see why anyone should give them the benefit of the doubt.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Fucking abhorrent garbage. Shit makes me so angry.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017

Fair enough. But the Canadian exchange rate is kinda screwy right now, so it's not a surprise if it changed to 42% for us.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Lots of bans flying around on the Steam subforum. Good! Could do with more but it's a start.
Pretty sure some posts and threads have been outright deleted. Too bad, less filth to report.
Some of the extremely shitty reviews got removed too. Still a lot of hateful stuff there obfuscated behind vague language.

Last edited:

Yata

Feb 1, 2019
Spain
Even if you are someone who agrees with TERFs, this is incredibly malicious, childish and inmature. Assuming it was intentional.

Tempy

Oct 25, 2017
Lots of bans flying around on the Steam subforum. Good! Could do with more but it's a start.
Pretty sure some posts and threads have been outright deleted. Too bad, less filth to report.

Who moderates the subforum btw? Appointed mods by the dev/pub, or Valve themselves?

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
I get the transphobia issue, but the 41% off thing linking to the 41% suicide rate.. I don't want to call it a stretch for a 4 year old article, but it's hard to confirm/lock down 100% they used that number from the source to discount their games intentionally for mocking vs throwing a random #.

Who knows. Hopefully justice is served. But at the very least, what they said was harsh and transphobic for sure

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC

I know this is easier said than done but please please ensure she knows not to listen to anything pieces of garbage like that say. Fuck them.

-----------

And assuming these devs did this all intentionally, (which is a pretty safe bet) fuck them. And fuck them anyway. Really gross and hypocritical to demean and dehumanize another minority group going through their own struggle. Fucking hypocrites.

Anyone who goes out of their way to attack a group of people is a pile of garbage.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
You misinterpreted what my comment was meant to say. I said "some" in my sentence and I meant that literally. A lot of people don't care about transphobia and I have to live that on a daily basis. Also, you shouldn't use "hey man" as a figure of speech. I know many people do it but people should stop.
Ok

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
I get the transphobia issue, but the 41% off thing linking to the 41% suicide rate.. I don't want to call it a stretch for a 4 year old article, but it's hard to confirm/lock down 100% they used that number from the source to discount their games intentionally for mocking vs throwing a random #.

Who knows. Hopefully justice is served. But at the very least, what they said was harsh and transphobic for sure
The whole point of dog whistles is to go over people's heads and make people who are aware of them look like crazy conspiracy theorists for pointing it out (and to circumvent filters). That's why online dog whistles are things that seem completely random out of context like 88 (nazi dog whistle, sometimes combined with 14, a white supremacist dog whistle), or "(((them)))" (anti-semitic dog whistle).

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
I consider TERFs to be worst then the typical GOP brain dead sheep. At least the latter had a lifetime of ignorance and propaganda pumped into their brains. But people who are parts of marginalized communities turn hostile towards another much more vulnerable community takes it to a next level of vile.

Christor

Oct 25, 2017

This is so heartbreaking to read. I am so sorry to hear about her going through all this. She does not need to let garbage pull her down like that.