• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean it will kill aggro mage completely, hurt quest mage a little and buff zoo and odd rogue.

In wild it will cause Jade druid to get better and big priest to get even better.

squidyj

Oct 25, 2017
My favorite part of playing Even Shaman is beating Odd Warriors to death with Hagatha. Doesn't happen every game but when it does, oh boy.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
just saw the nerfs

I think giggling was nerfed a little too hard, but the hilarious thing is that none of the standard druid cards were touched

also, expect mage to be in the dumpster for a long time like Warrior was after the FWA nerf, because every one of its cards has been balanced around the potential to have turn 1 mana wyrm

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Mana Wyrm and Aviana nerfs are strange in timing and execution, as is the treatment of Giggling Inventor but looking at the write-up for the latter more closely...

We initially tested this card at (6) mana in both the current Standard format as well as with cards that will be released in the future. Ultimately, we felt that its power level was still higher than is appropriate for a Neutral card with no build-around requirements. At (7) mana, we expect Giggling Inventor will find its way into fewer decks in general—and be much less effective in Quest Rogue—while it might remain situationally playable within specific deck archetypes, such as Evolve Shaman.

The way this is worded makes it seem like Quest Rogue claims another victim yet will continue to receive additional support as an archetype in the future. Or maybe Team 5 really was a whole 2 mana off when only a month ago they judged Giggling Inventor to be so close to the line of "too powerful" it was hard to tell if the card even crossed it.

jml

Mar 9, 2018
Mana Wyrm and Aviana nerfs are strange in timing and execution,
I don't think the timing is strange at all for Aviana, wild players have been begging for something like this. I think nerfing Juicy Psychmelon would've just been a bandaid solution and Aviana+Kun was the source of the problem.

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If token druid takes off even more, control warlock is in a good position to rise up to knock them down. That is a fun matchup for the control warlock too, you just tear their heart out turn after turn.

Tempo mage is no more to punish control warlocks.

SonicXtreme

Oct 27, 2017
I never played WoW so i'm kinda ignorant about tribes, but couldn't they have made mana wyrm an elemental? it always looked like one to me....but again I don't know any real wow back story

Mars

Oct 25, 2017
Big priest got a whole lot more scary now.

Two of its hard matchups wiped out.

And of course I crafted aluneth last week...

It kinda pisses me off, I crafted a lot of cards to use an aggro mage deck recently. It one of two decks I have that are viable, I was bored playing zoolock...

SuperBonk

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I still don't really understand the Mana Wyrm nerf. Maybe I'm a bit biased since I mainly play Mage but I don't follow their logic.

They said they don't want it being used in decks without a heavy focus on cheap spells...but which deck does that? Mage only has 2 main archetypes and Mana Wyrm only makes sense in Aggro/Aluneth Mage. Even if you count Elemental Mage/Quest Mage/Pocket Galaxy Mage as archetypes, I'm pretty sure Mana Wyrm is not run in those either.

They said the card also steered them away from making powerful low-cost Mage spells. Why not nerf it with the release of an expansion including such spells? Not to mention they just released a pretty powerful low cost spell in Shooting Star.

I understand Mana Wyrm is a problematic card but it was never in a super oppressive deck and nerfing it to 2 mana seems pretty excessive. Aggro Mage has consistently Tier 2/3 for a while now so I don't see the justification for the nerf without nerfs to other classes, namely Druid. I'm not a pro player or anything so I could be way off here but Hearthstone was a game I used to play everyday and I haven't touched in weeks. These nerfs aren't doing anything to bring me back.

Also interesting to note, I believe Mage was the only class not to have a card nerfed since beta until this Mana Wyrm nerf. Ice Block and Ice Lance were Hall of Famed but not strictly nerfed like Mana Wyrm. Going back to beta you had nerfs to Pyroblast and the Freeze package (Blizzard, Cone of Cold, Frost Nova).

Oct 25, 2017
I am okay with all those changes. I thought druid might get hit a bit more, well, oakheart perhaps, but w/e. At least what they're doing seems okay.

I still don't really understand the Mana Wyrm nerf. Maybe I'm a bit biased since I mainly play Mage but I don't follow their logic.

They said they don't want it being used in decks without a heavy focus on cheap spells...but which deck does that? Mage only has 2 main archetypes and Mana Wyrm only makes sense in Aggro/Aluneth Mage. Even if you count Elemental Mage/Quest Mage/Pocket Galaxy Mage as archetypes, I'm pretty sure Mana Wyrm is not run in those either.

They said the card also steered them away from making powerful low-cost Mage spells. Why not nerf it with the release of an expansion including such spells? Not to mention they just released a pretty powerful low cost spell in Shooting Star.

I understand Mana Wyrm is a problematic card but it was never in a super oppressive deck and nerfing it to 2 mana seems pretty excessive. Aggro Mage has consistently Tier 2/3 for a while now so I don't see the justification for the nerf without nerfs to other classes, namely Druid. I'm not a pro player or anything so I could be way off here but Hearthstone was a game I used to play everyday and I haven't touched in weeks. These nerfs aren't doing anything to bring me back.

Also interesting to note, I believe Mage was the only class not to have a card nerfed since beta until this Mana Wyrm nerf. Ice Block and Ice Lance were Hall of Famed but not strictly nerfed like Mana Wyrm. Going back to beta you had nerfs to Pyroblast and the Freeze package (Blizzard, Cone of Cold, Frost Nova).

You're missing half of what they said here. They said they've been moving away from 1 power houses. Mana wyrm is one of the remaining ones. They want it to be an option for classes with cheap spells and not for those without. The motivation to nerf it wasn't to remove it from the one type of deck, that is just explaining why they nerfed it the way they did.

Copper

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Mage was average, so we nuked It. Meanwhile big Priest is still there and warrior is still trash.

Wiibomb

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
To maximize the upcoming event, we should start an Arena run and stop once we get to 2 losses, right?

that's right, it's 2 packs for either $2 or 150 gold an dyou get whatever extra from the wins.

also, to maximize the free gold, the free arena ticket given away for the event should also be left with 2 loses to get another free ticket at the end of the event.

VoxPop

Oct 30, 2017
Are there any fun meme decks in standard?

I do want to make an Odd Mech Warrior deck but it costs way too much dust unfortunately. Not that its a meme deck or anything.

Looking for something fun!

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.pcgamer.com/blizzard-sa..._source=twitter&utm_campaign=buffer-pcgamertw

Creative director Ben Thompson expanded on that in a recent interview with VentureBeat, beginning by touching on a number of factors that weren'tresponsible for the halt. There were no issues with the Unity game engine, performance was fine, client size wasn't a problem, cross-platform implementation was working out, and the development team was sufficient to handle the task. The loss of Hearthstone honcho Ben Brode in April wasn't a factor either.

The real issue, Thompson said, is rooted in the simple fact that Blizzard dropped the dime too early. "We did something with tournament mode for the very first time that we'd never done before in the history of Hearthstone. What that was, was to announce a new mode to the game, a new feature to the game, so early that it started to take on a life of its own," he explained.

"That allowed for a lot of time for the community to form, in its collective head, what they believed tournament mode could be, or should be. The more time that happened, what we did in that case was allow for two paths of thought to be created. You had the devs working on what they believed tournament mode should be comprised of, and the community building up in their own heads what they hoped and thought it would be."

And as the process went on, Blizzard's plan and fan expectations diverged so much that it decided the only option was to hit the brakes. "We thought that the best case scenario for this would be to take a long, hard look at where we're at and to reassess that and revisit it at a time we would be able to create something much more close to the hopes and expectations of not just our players, but even ourselves as well," Thompson said.

The good news for fans is that he also emphasized that even though there's no set timeline for in-game tournament support, Blizzard is not giving up on it. "We just don't want the community to get the wrong idea," he said. "It's on hold. We're still talking about it."

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
but they are the master of disappointment anyway, what is one more?

Any time we add something to the game, something has to appeal to the largest number of players as possible and give everyone the broadest chance to enjoy everything we add.

Well, that's your problem. Why you think everything should appeal to everybody? You can have different modes that appeal to different players in a fucking card game. 5 years in, we still only have two modes. It's just pathetic.

gutshot

Oct 25, 2017
Toscana, Italy
It's going to be hilarious when Artifact launches in a month and, all of a sudden, Blizzard magically starts launching new modes and client features in Hearthstone.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
The difference with WoW is that the team changed quite a bit between every expansion and it's like different people coming with different ideas. So sure it had its ups and downs but still the game was clearly moving forward. The main problem with HS I think is that they are struggling with ideas because the core of the team has been same people since 2014. They had some minor additions but the decision makers has been same people until the departures this year which were mostly executive level not designer level. They obviously did a great job making this game but really anyone would run out of ideas within framework of this game eventually. They have this rigid philosophy as well with this game and at this point it won't break unless some other people get the job. I think they don't realize that over the years, their audience and their desires might have changed but they for sure haven't. The problem right now is not some OP cards, it is that the game feels same as it did back in 2016, there are new cards and deck but they play very very similarly and there is not much to do with your cards beside playing standard constructed. You take another major card game, there is like dozen different ways to play the game.

No card game challenged HS yet but they had a lot of good ideas they could use in this game. Artifact has a deck tracker for example, if HS had it people wouldn't need 3rd party tools that do more than just deck tracking. In Shadowverse, you can draft Arena for your friend, you can play Arena against your friend for FREE. Shadowverse has replay modes so that you can clip highlights and share it, on mobile no less, like why on earth we don't have this, isn't this only beneficial to this game. People already did this anyway but imagine how much better and accessible it could have been to all of the playerbase and it of course has tournament mode. Sure it's not a huge game but it has a lot of great features that HS could use. Since July of 2015 when they added tavern brawls, they haven't added any new way to play the game. You have to wonder what the hell they were doing beside making sets. Dungeons runs and similar were just the evolution of their single player adventures, they are not exactly new. We can't play the game the same way competitors play the game on their official events, just how is that ok?

Take a game like HotS for example. It's not exactly very popular but that team just put so much work over the last 3 years into that game. It has changed so much and it probably doesn't bring 1/10 as much money as HS does. They work on it because Blizzard is not relevant in moba market. So I'm optimistic we see some moves next year if the game takes a huge hit on twitch and mindshare drops. That's the kind of feedback I'm sure they will take action on.

Last edited:

bunbun777

Oct 29, 2017
Nw
Logically I know it could have been me instead of my opponent in this brawl but out of 3 games I got worked, unfairly, and I had to stop and just try again tomorrow.

kazinova

Oct 27, 2017
Balance changes at 1pm eastern? Not gonna change the game, but I'll gladly take all that dust I've been saving since day one.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Too many paladin portraits.

A golden Face Collector, Blackhowl Gunspire, and a Lady in White from those packs. Lucky me.

Last edited:

Wiibomb

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Well, I caved in, I got the HGG cheer packs... in the end its a good value with all the community goals.

31 packs for $30 (for first time purchasers of the bits, $35 normally) and that includes a golden classic pack.

It's almost like a bundle but with assorted packs.

SonicXtreme

Oct 27, 2017
Thank god. I know it wasn't a very powerful deck, but it was so frustrating to play against.
idk, blizz kind of drove a dagger into the heart of an eternal deck format, feels like when they ruined molten giant for handlock. they at least could have made it a 1/3 elemental for 2? or a 1/2 minion for 1 mana? or just have it get upgrades for the single turn ala mana addict? typical blizzard nerf to oblivion

Ace Harding

Oct 25, 2017
idk, blizz kind of drove a dagger into the heart of an eternal deck format, feels like when they ruined molten giant for handlock. they at least could have made it a 1/3 elemental for 2? or a 1/2 minion for 1 mana? or just have it get upgrades for the single turn ala mana addict? typical blizzard nerf to oblivion
Honestly I think they just did it for the sake of the first few weeks of an expansion release. During those periods it's like 50% tempo mage while people figure out new decks.

Status
Not open for further replies.