Tainted

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Release Date: December 15, 1995
Starring: Robert De Niro, Al Pacino, Val Kilmer

Hard to believe this movie is turning 25 years old on Tuesday. Im my opinion an absolute classic in the crime genre, I have re-watched this movie many, many times over the last 25 years.

I remember first seeing this movie at 19 years of age in the cinema and getting absolutely blown away. The soundtrack, cinematography and acting was simply fantastic. It was the first time Robert & Al were onscreen together and it lived up to all expectations.

Everyone raise a glass to Heat and re-watch this week in celebration

hzbgO3L.jpeg

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
Need to re-watch this, haven't seen it in years, thanks for the reminder, OP.

Still weird to think that this movie went on to inspire a capes n' tights superhero film, though.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Damn, you old, son.

j/k

Great film. Seen it many times.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Top five favorite movie for me. That ending is so good. Always gets me.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
one of the GOATs. I actually really appreciate the length too. Gives ample time to delve into both the cop and robber's lives and feel like a proper crime epic.

zoozilla

Avenger
Jun 9, 2018
Japan
I love Elliot Goldenthal's score for this movie.

The only real misstep I think is that de niro and Amy brenneman don't have any chemistry and their relationship is pretty unbelievable. But the scene where they're driving to the airport and De Niro decides to turn around... *chefs kiss*

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like this was an important turning point for Pacino's transformation into a cartoon character.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Don't like Pacino in this. To be honest I haven't been much of a fan of his once he got his raspy voice and whatever came with it. There's a bit of Scent of a Woman in his character's expressions in this movie.

But in any case, it's a very late 80s to mid 90s movie. Sort of like if it was part of the Point Break Cinematic Universe (Black Rain, etc.).

It's an Ok movie. Obvious inspiration for Kane and Lynch.

TRS8088

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I saw this probably 20 years ago, thought it was OK. I dunno, shoot out scene is good yes, just didn't get into the rest of it. Maybe if I watched it again I'd like it more.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Don't like Pacino in this. To be honest I haven't been much of a fan of his once he got his raspy voice and whatever came with it. There's a bit of Scent of a Woman in his character's expressions in this movie.

But in any case, it's a very late 80s to mid 90s movie. Sort of like if it was part of the Point Break Cinematic Universe (Black Rain, etc.).

It's an Ok movie. Obvious inspiration for Kane and Lynch.
I think he's good / interesting overall, but it's a bummer how totally De Niro destroys him in the restaurant conversation. A younger Pacino would have done so much better.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Mann is kind of old now. I feel like he's not going to make another classic before he dies. I think he's only doing the pilot of that HBO Max show.

beelzebozo

Oct 26, 2017
for such a small character this guy was great and stole his scenes. really sold the scumbag aura required of the character.

i agree, he is such a creation. just some scary looks and a skullet and acting completely unhinged in a world of complete calculated professionals. he is so heinous and wonderful because he is such a great contrast to neil.

maigret

Jun 28, 2018
Couldn't be farther from the truth.

He's not that wrong in a way, considering Mann wrote the original script in the 80s but couldn't get the film made except as the trimmed down LA Takedown TV movie. James Caan's character in Thief is very similar to De Niro's in Heat so I think it must have been the same inspiration for both.

OP
OP
Tainted

Tainted

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
He's not that wrong in a way, considering Mann wrote the original script in the 80s but couldn't get the film made except as the trimmed down LA Takedown TV movie. James Caan's character in Thief is very similar to De Niro's in Heat so I think it must have been the same inspiration for both.

Watching LA Takedown nowadays is not recommended. It just feels like a cheesy, ripofff of Heat with terrible acting. I know its a TV movie and the precursor to Heat, but ugh

maigret

Jun 28, 2018
Watching LA Takedown nowadays is not recommended. It just feels like a cheesy, ripofff of Heat with terrible acting. I know its a TV movie and the precursor to Heat, but ugh

I've only seen certain scenes but it's an amazing lesson in how the same script can be radically different with capable actors and film caliber editing, lighting, etc.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
Watched this not too long ago. What a flick. Needs a proper UHD but the blu-ray looks fantastic as well.

Phoony17

Oct 27, 2017
Narangba, AUS
Was great to see both these actors in the same film. The movie screen almost blew up when they were in the diner! Such screen presence.

Now De Niro does random shit light-hearted movies which kind of is hurting his legacy IMHO.

maigret

Jun 28, 2018
Was great to see both these actors in the same film. The movie screen almost blew up when they were in the diner! Such screen presence.

Now De Niro does random shit light-hearted movies which kind of is hurting his legacy IMHO.

Fortunately we have The Irishman now to relive the Pacino/De Niro magic :)

Metalmucil

Aug 17, 2019
I love the movie, but I really think "the scene" between DeNiro and Pacino is way overrated. They are both practically caricatures of themselves they ham it up so bad there.

Venatio

Oct 25, 2017
The only real misstep I think is that de niro and Amy brenneman don't have any chemistry and their relationship is pretty unbelievable. But the scene where they're driving to the airport and De Niro decides to turn around... *chefs kiss*

Agreed, but that, IMO, is a combination of Amy Brenneman's character being severely underwritten, and DeNiro just cannot exude romantic chemistry. Like, at all.

I do think Amy Brenneman did wonders with what little she had, though. And that car ride scene is perfection - everytime I watch it, I want DeNiro to keep driving so badly.