• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HaL64

Nov 3, 2017
I completely forgot about the next line

These scene is so great. It's exactly where you should go if you want to do a decent Pacino impression. šŸ˜„

I always wondered if this scene is ad-libbed. Just is too much like Pacino and less like his character in the film. And Hank Azaria's face. It looks like he is just admiring Pacino working and is confused by the lines he is delivering.
Also it always looks like he's about to say "BIG ASS" before he changes his mind and says "GREAT ASS".

Thequietone

Oct 26, 2017
Im going to have to see if I have this available to watch now. De Niro's character should have kept driving. If he wanted Waingro dead that bad he could have waited for the heat to die down and come back to kill him or hire someone to have killed him for him.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Im going to have to see if I have this available to watch now. De Niro's character should have kept driving. If he wanted Waingro dead that bad he could have waited for the heat to die down and come back to kill him or hire someone to have killed him for him.
Of course he should have kept driving lol. But it was too personal for him. Coming back or let someone else killing Waingro wasn't an option.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
More than Pacino and De Niro, that slick euh flick had such a great cast of supporting characters. I didn't quite get at first where they wanted to go with Dennis Haysbert, but oh God that crushed me.

Heat_6.jpg

A true masterpiece of a movie, no doubt about it.

Special mention to our favorite William Fitchner, great weasel if we ever seen one...

fc58ad6cd74073a0e8e527a24d94c736.png

And of course, Kevin Gage nailed Waingro up to the table.

tumblr_oulrh3u0kA1s0acdzo1_500.gifv

Last edited:

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
"I've got Heat on DVD at home. We're watching this, when for less money we could be watching Robert de Niro and Al Pacino."

IdeaOfEvil

Banned
Dec 4, 2020
After the whole conspiracy of DeNiro and Pacino not filming this movie at the same time since neither of them are ever on screen together, it's all I can notice now and I can't watch this film =(

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
After the whole conspiracy of DeNiro and Pacino not filming this movie at the same time since neither of them are ever on screen together, it's all I can notice now and I can't watch this film =(

The shootout scene actually looks weird whenever we see Pacino, as if his scene was filmed completely separately. It really looks like he wasn't present for the main filming of it.

GeekyDad

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
USA
Still a favorite, but as sheer entertainment. Still when I watch it today I feel like Pacino and DeNiro's chemistry don't really work in the scenes they're in together, and the movie is very unrealistic for much of it. But as entertainment, it's somehow perfect. I watch it maybe once a year still. It's somehow a perfect piece of cinema in spite of itself. Not sure how else to put it. But that's kind of the nature of most Michael Mann films.

IdeaOfEvil

Banned
Dec 4, 2020
The shootout scene actually looks weird whenever we see Pacino, as if his scene was filmed completely separately. It really looks like he wasn't present for the main filming of it.

That and the diner scene and the final gunfight near the runway... All I can notice are the backs of each one's head every time I watch this movie and it drives me nuts, lol

Gaius Cassius

Oct 28, 2017
Oregon

Watching Pacino in his scenes handling and shooting his weapons, you tend to notice that it seems he doesn't seem to have the training that some of the other actors received from the SAS weapons trainer. That or just the training didn't take? Compared to the other cast mates like Kilmer.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Watching Pacino in his scenes handling and shooting his weapons, you tend to notice that it seems he doesn't seem to have the training that some of the other actors received from the SAS weapons trainer. That or just the training didn't take? Compared to the other cast mates like Kilmer.

There's like no sense of where he really is in the shootout except towards the end.

The weird "not really there" editing and his occasional Scent of a Woman character where he refuses to blink or speaks to people without looking at them in the eyes (ok I think that one happens once) on top of him being what I'd consider the Pacino parody just brings the movie down. Plus his face totally reminds me of a middle-aged woman babysitter from back when I was a kid. It's too much lol

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
I always wondered if this scene is ad-libbed. Just is too much like Pacino and less like his character in the film. And Hank Azaria's face. It looks like he is just admiring Pacino working and is confused by the lines he is delivering.
Also it always looks like he's about to say "BIG ASS" before he changes his mind and says "GREAT ASS"

Azaria talks about the scene here 4 minutes into the video:

Randam

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
There are "making of" videos of that scene on YouTube. With commentary by Michael Mann and others.
There were shots of both of them, but they didn't get used.

brenobnfm

Sep 28, 2019
Never got the love for this movie, felt it was just an excuse to finally put De Niro and Al Pacino together in a film, and Al Pacino phoned it in with his usual cocaine mode.

Miami Vice is Mann's true masterpiece.

You need to watch cause it honestly feels like a modern movie. Shit like Sicario wished it was Heat.

Wut? Sicario is in a completely different league to hollywoodized flicks like Heat.

DeathyBoy

Oct 29, 2017
Under my Hela Hela
Of course he should have kept driving lol. But it was too personal for him. Coming back or let someone else killing Waingro wasn't an option.

It's perfection, it really is. Dude dies after breaking every one of the rules he has set in place, which is why Pacino finally gets the drop on him. The same way the other robbers get taken down, they abandon the codes they had and are punished thusly. The only character who strives to overcome their baggage and, sort of, succeeds is Pacino's character, who comes to an understanding of who he really is.

IdeaOfEvil

Banned
Dec 4, 2020
There are "making of" videos of that scene on YouTube. With commentary by Michael Mann and others.
There were shots of both of them, but they didn't get used.

Oh, I understand that. There are plenty of still shots of them filming together. But watch the movie and see how there isn't one shot of them on screen facing the camera together. When one's talking, you only see the back of the head of the other... It's jarring to me =/

Lurcharound

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Just re-watched it this weekend. Still GOAT in its genre.

Epic in scope, taking time to build its world of "two tribes" with Pacino's on one side & DeNiro's crew the other and full of little details & touches as well as perfectly framed action and of course beautiful architecture & apartments with hypnotic views.

Then there's it's great scenes, from Pacino's crew realising they've been flushed out for inspection by De Nero's, to the coffee shop discourse, to the massive shot out to the moment De Nero is locked in stasis trying to decide whether to stay or run and at the 30 second mark choses the latter and seals his fate.

Just glorious. Glad I've seen it a few times on big screen including first viewing. It's incredible in a good cinema.

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster
Never got the love for this movie, felt it was just an excuse to finally put De Niro and Al Pacino together in a film, and Al Pacino phoned it in with his usual cocaine mode.

Miami Vice is Mann's true masterpiece.

Wut? Sicario is in a completely different league to hollywoodized flicks like Heat.
I meant in terms of action

sugar bear

Oct 27, 2017
"And I'm Donald Duck!"

Towering masterpiece, I have the Blu-Ray and watch it every few months.

"GIMMIE ALL YOU GOT!"

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
For anyone who loves this movie I can't recommend enough checking out the Blank Check podcast's nearly 3 hour discussion on it while they were covering Michael Mann's filmography. IMO it's one of their best episodes ever.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like The Way of the Gun had louder guns (not that this video offers the true sound mix), but Heat is awesome, so proceed.

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
It's perfection, it really is. Dude dies after breaking every one of the rules he has set in place, which is why Pacino finally gets the drop on him.

I like how when Voight's character is describing Hanna to Neil he says "This guy can hit or miss. You can't miss once." Neil only gets one round off at the airport.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I think he's good / interesting overall, but it's a bummer how totally De Niro destroys him in the restaurant conversation. A younger Pacino would have done so much better.

I don't think either actor "destroyed" one another in that scene. I'm not even sure how you get that reading from the scene. If anything its two acting greats playing off each other in spectacular, if understated, fashion.

for such a small character this guy was great and stole his scenes. really sold the scumbag aura required of the character.

I always thought the scene where he murders the random prostitute was a little out of place. It almost felt like that was supposed to tie into a larger storyline or one of the other plot lines but the rest of the scenes about that storyline got cut.

The Climaxan

Oct 27, 2017
NC-USA
I would LOVE this movie if it weren't for the wife and daughter subplot of Al Pacino's character. Everything about that felt so tacked on when compared to the meticulousness of the rest of the plot.

Jetpaction

Jun 2, 2019
The Netherlands
When I think of Heat for some reason I always think of this track that plays during the movie.

It's such a minimalistic track but it captures the mood and the atmosphere of the movie so perfectly well.

Also, I only recently realised that Dennis Haysbert also plays the president in 24 :D

Bad Advice

Jan 8, 2019
Great movie that I rewatch from time to time. Same with Goodfellas, Once Upon A Time In America and The Godfather. All movies that give me that warm fuzzy cosy kino feeling.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
Up to this day, I LOVE the score when they walk into the bank and they're just waiting. The song just puts you into the edge of your seat waiting for anything to happen:

Such an amazing and suspense building track