Yuntu

Prophet of Regret Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Depending on how early Ninja gets access to the engine I don't think 2021 is that unrealistic - obviously all depending on how far the game is into development in general. Well and if transferring from 4 to 5 will be as easy as Epic says.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
UE5 isn't available until late 2021 or am I mistaken?

that would mean no Hellblade until then or 2022 right? Makes sense I guess considering Xbox isn't doing next gen only games for first year or two
I wonder if devs can make some deals to get their hands on earlier. Epic would probably not mind to have a AAA game to showcase their engine

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
nice! now they are ready to import it to UE5 and start showing gameplay on next events! :b

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
I've long expected Hellblade 2 to be the first next-gen only game for XGS, releasing around Holiday 2021, maybe early 2022. I don't think this changes anything.

Murfield

Oct 27, 2017
I need to reinstall and finish the first one, might wait until winter though when its nice and cold.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
A lot of people assuming this means 2022, I would not be surprised to see some of these teams have access to Unreal 5 already and be helping Epic tweak it for commercial use.
I highly doubt of all companies Microsoft and the one that has a good lot of their studios all running Unreal not having been already given access to UE5, and have been getting the engine next-gen ready. All PR moves to keep their name in the spot light.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious if Ninja Theory has been working behind the scenes with Epic on anything UE5 related. They worked pretty closely with them on Hellblade with some of the tech they used that Epic ultimately ended acquiring after the fact.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I'd imagine mid-2022 is about as far out as it could get. So long as they can match the tone of that incredible reveal trailer, I'll wait however long I need to.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Believe there were some doubts about some footage in the trailer. Like that isnt possible. Believe with some streaming rocks i believe?
Then Unreal 5 engine tech demo happened and showed the same thing.
And now Hellblade uses Unreal Engine 5 officially.

Hmm

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
I wonder if devs can make some deals to get their hands on earlier. Epic would probably not mind to have a AAA game to showcase their engine

I expect first party studios from Microsoft and Sony have had early builds for a while. inXile is also talking about UE5 for their next game. I'm sure Sony Bend is using it too.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Believe there were some doubts about some footage in the trailer. Like that isnt possible. Believe with some streaming rocks i believe?

Hmm
I think DF showed it and was a little sceptical. Then UE5 gets shown off and now it looks more than possibly, as long as the tech is there.

El-Pistolero

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
Expected. Big games that have been running on the 4th engine iteration will transition onto the 5th one smoothly, courtesy of Epic support...

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I noticed that too. Could hellblade 2 actually be a UE5 game from the start though? I wonder how early epics partners like MS recieve the engine.
I mean MS uses Unreal alot with their studios and even push things forward with Gears releases really. And Ninja Theory has a good relationship also with Epic and still works with them on the mocap stuff i believe through Senua Studios. So i wouldnt be surprised with some pubs and devs had alot of input in the engine and even had earlier access.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise

Hmm
DF should do another video with what we know now of UE5.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
I think DF showed it and was a little sceptical. Then UE5 gets shown off and now it looks more than possibly, as long as the tech is there.

That video was full of skepticism. The geometry gains on display compared to this gen looks more than a generational leap. The Halo trailer displays the same thing and it makes the scenes so much more set.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
It was on Unreal 4 before right? Wonder if switching engined is easy or hard, unreal to unreal.
Yes was and currently likely still is, just that when it's ready for devs to use it will be moved to UE5. The engine isn't ready, but I'm sure they could have people testing it out, I just doubt devs currently making games would be testing it with their major game while the engine is still being worked on.

Epic said it should be easy to convert games to the engine though.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Can't wait to see what devs can do once they get down and dirty with the engine. The difference between early UE4 games and late ones is crazy.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Expecting Xbox Studios to make UE5 sing. Can't wait to see what Rare come up with.

JohnLennon

May 16, 2020
Hellblade 2's trailer was my favorite trailer I've seen in the last couple years. So badass, so cool, so beautiful and really encouraging vibe for the future of Hellblade. After beating the first Hellblade, I'm so encouraged to see what they can do with UE5 and on Series X with all that powaaaaaa