Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019

Rowsdower

Shinra Employee of The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
A keypoint of UE5 is that it supposedly makes it very easy to do.
Yes was and currently likely still is, just that when it's ready for devs to use it will be moved to UE5. The engine isn't ready, but I'm sure they could have people testing it out, I just doubt devs currently making games would be testing it with their major game while the engine is still being worked on.

Epic said it should be easy to convert games to the engine though.

Good to hear UE5 is easy to move over to.

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
Some people in this thread are funny. It isn't like Unreal 5 was built from the ground up. It is an extension of Unreal 4 with major new features that I'm sure MS has been privy to for a while now. This news isn't surprising at all and shouldn't mess with whatever launch date they have in mind. The only surprising thing here is that you got a glimpse of "UE5" back in December and didn't even know it. lol

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure that developers have had access to UE5 before it was announced so the only delay I can think of that would be apparent in making it not arrive for launch will be due to the mocap studio being shut down

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Wonder if that's an easy transition or if it's like starting from scratch.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Wonder if that's an easy transition or if it's like starting from scratch.

In the UE5 reveal thread I asked about this. Epic is saying it'll be a easier transition, tho that can still mean months of work apparently.

Tho it won't be like UE3 —> UE4, which is very difficult and would take a lot of time.

It was also speculated some studios may have early access to UE5.

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017

This trailer is up there as one of the best. Still go back and watch it from time to time.

This would be a great early year game, so early 2022?

jerf

Nov 1, 2017
Just replayed Senua's Sacrifice this past week. Hits just as hard and close the second time. Really interested to see where they take it but I'll guess I'll have to wait.

JaggedSac

Oct 25, 2017
Burbs of Atlanta
Developers are expected to get a preview version in early 2021

If all developers are only getting a preview version in 2021. We won't see a game using nanite until 2023 or 2024. I honestly believe Epic has already been working with large partners on these feature sets in UE5. Otherwise we are looking at half a gen before we get games built with those features in mind.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
In the UE5 reveal thread I asked about this. Epic is saying it'll be a easier transition, tho that can still mean months of work apparently.

Tho it won't be like UE3 —> UE4, which is very difficult and would take a lot of time.

It was also speculated some studios may have early access to UE5.
That's good to hear.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Scared the living crap out of me tho. I didnt watch TGA. To late here and needed to get up early also.
So i was eating some breakfest at like 6:30. Still really dark as it was december. Lets check Era. Oh shit console announced. Oh shit Hellblade. Watching!
Oh shit this looks cool. Then that moment. Scared the crap out of me.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
Maybe. I thought it was a 2021 game but maybe it got internally delayed thanks to covid, and they took the opportunity to make it UE5.

Yeah, possibly. I suspect the game was already using similar tech within Unreal 4. It's possible they will get early version of Unreal 5, but I hope the conversion to UE5 is smooth. Even going from one version of UE4 to a newer updated version after a team highly customizes the engine, as I'd assume they've already been doing, can take a long time.

Either way, Hellblade II getting more time in development is a positive. If they can hit the level of quality seen in the reveal trailer or close to it, this game will look absolutely stunning. It's also a perfect candidate to be built on Unreal 5-like tech, sicne the art can largely be built with existing real-world 3D scanned objects I assume.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
Really nice. So we got the following XGS using UE next gen.

Playground Games RPG team
The Initiative
The Coalition
InXile
Obsidian
Ninja Theory
Compulsion Games
Rare
Mojang Studios
Double Fine
Undead Labs.

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
Take as long as you need Xbox. When this game comes out, I will buy a Series X. I'm hoping for a bundle by then.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Unreal 5 games aren't supposed to appear until late 2021 or 2022 or something right? Isn't that what Epic said?

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We knew it was UE5 I thought.
There were people actively trying to distance Hellblade from UE5 during the reveal period. I can fish out the posts if you want, I was astonished at what I was reading. They even went after DrKeo after he made the educated guess of Hellblade + UE5 after Phil's tweet congratulating Epic.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Given how scalable and flexible UE4 is, I suspect UE5 is likely a point release in all but name. Good for next gen marketing, but not super complex in terms of migration.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
Maybe. I thought it was a 2021 game but maybe it got internally delayed thanks to covid, and they took the opportunity to make it UE5.
this game was UE5 since we saw it, you dont grab a game mid production and change Engine version let alone the actual engine + the trailer matched a lot of the tech we saw in the eventual reveal of the engine (and we know they were working close with epic for this)
The game probably saw a delay due to covid specifically any mocap stuff they still had to do

I know epic said it should be an easier transition but so is moving UE4 version and you dont really want to be doing that regardless unless your ass is still in pre pro, last thing anyone wants is to move versions across X amount of computers and fix everything that breaks due to the change

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Why are people talking about internal delays for Hellblade when there's been no indication they were aiming for a specific date?