Status
Not open for further replies.

cdudeachyut

Jun 4, 2021
This restriction should've been there from the beginning but it's the best course correction from Valve/Arrowhead because Sony just doesn't want any money from these countries.

reksveks

May 17, 2022
Valve removing the game from sale in many regions and offering refunds outside of windows is maybe the strongest motivator Sony
Why are we assuming Valve made this decision?

It's probably the dev or the publisher imo.

Also in general, not sure that breaking a tos that isn't enforced is a good solution for consumers. You never know when Sony will of their own accord or get forced to apply their tos via some other party.

Dec 15, 2017
Sony should be all hands on deck finding a solution to make PSN accounts available to all those unsupported countries after this or just reverse the requirement

bezuzu

May 3, 2023
This is the right move, now just refund people from those countries who bought the game and we can move on

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
Hmm, not sure that you got that across. I would use a word like 'if' before 'Valve removing' etc.

The hypothetical possibility in your comment is only really related to Sony's future action.

Fair, I assumed it was obvious as there is no evidence whose decision it was, but I know how the internet is.

andshrew

Oct 27, 2017
Sony should be all hands on deck finding a solution to make PSN accounts available to all those unsupported countries after this or just reverse the requirement

Have you seen the pace Sony PSN development works at? Even if they were to make a "PSN-lite" type account for the rest of world, you'd be looking at 6 months to a year before they were ready to roll that out.

This is the company that took ~15 years to let you rename your account, or almost a year to change the currency in the the Croatian store to Euros.

They're totally unprepared for this and should have walked back the requirement until their platform was fit for purpose.

zerosnake99

Oct 25, 2018
So, it went from people can ignore the multiple messages saying PSN was required, and those who had an account despite being out of PSN "service" areas, could play it.

But now other's can't.

GG.

Grimsen

Oct 25, 2017

It would be much easier to release a new build of the game that doesn't require a psn link for those regions - I wouldn't be surprised if that was the next step.

Xbob42

Nov 13, 2023
"Just break the PSN ToS! Sony have never done anything about it!"

Yeah, you could also play Helldivers 2 without a PSN account for months. Things change. Remember, when you agree to that ToS, they've always got you by the nuts. Something unenforced for decades could one day be enforced for a variety of reasons, and if that ever happens, and then you complain about it, everyone will just tell you "you knew you were breaking the ToS, why are you surprised?"

"Break the ToS" is not a valid defense of counterpoint. Hell, it's not even a good idea for Sony to be letting it be so loose, kind of weakens their ToS as an agreement if they ever take someone to court over it for whatever reason. "Sony's lax about their ToS, their CS reps outright tell people to break it!" Doesn't seem like the wisest thing from either perspective.

Also, the obnoxious "well you require accounts for everything now, why are you just now complaining" bit is fucking tiring as well. I've been complaining about multiple accounts (and launchers) for years. People just say you're a whiny gamer or whatever; this is evident even in this thread. People will bend over backwards if it means they get to suck some corporate cock to the benefit of no one.

All these accounts suck, having your data in so many places is fucking terrible, data farming is shitty and it would be nice if we could do something about it all. But also this particular thing sucks. Enforcing something months after launch and effectively changing the sales terms is really weird.

data

Oct 25, 2017
Well the temporary solution is that the regions can no longer buy the games. People who bought the games can still play them

Also the link isn't mandated till June 4th so they have time and nothing says they're not working on a solution

Dot-N-Run

Oct 27, 2017
Whatever benefit Sony plans on getting out of forcing through the mandatory psn signups several months after launch can't be worth all this.

Just leave well enough alone.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
If they are going ahead regardless of backlash I hope they do a full psn integration like ghost of tsushima with ps trophy etc

Makoto Yuki

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
So dumb, this should be optional.

Like, linking an account will give you cool exclusive cosmetics, and allow for Trophies.

Give players intensive to make a PSN account to link it to Steam, making it mandatory and limiting places to play the game is such a counter productive move.

Feb 16, 2022

Yeah, you could also play Helldivers 2 without a PSN account for months. Things change. Remember, when you agree to that ToS, they've always got you by the nuts. Something unenforced for decades could one day be enforced for a variety of reasons, and if that ever happens, and then you complain about it, everyone will just tell you "you knew you were breaking the ToS, why are you surprised?"

"Break the ToS" is not a valid defense of counterpoint. Hell, it's not even a good idea for Sony to be letting it be so loose, kind of weakens their ToS as an agreement if they ever take someone to court over it for whatever reason. "Sony's lax about their ToS, their CS reps outright tell people to break it!" Doesn't seem like the wisest thing from either perspective.
Thanks, we'll worry about that when it actually happens. For now, though, we're fine. The people using it as an excuse to not do it aren't the ones who have to do it.

TalonJH

Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
This restriction should've been there from the beginning but it's the best course correction from Valve/Arrowhead because Sony just doesn't want any money from these countries.
It was. They added a skip button when they were having problems keeping up with the popularity and server loads. The screen still said that PSN would be be required. It was always advertised as PSN being required and the Steam store always listed it as requiring a PSN account.

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
EsJ1W4SU0AAVFgJ

rzks21

Aug 17, 2023
The amount of people being totally ok with games not being available for certain regions is kinda disgusting. That's GringoEra for you, I guess.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
So does this mean with forthcoming releases likely also using the account system, all those countries won't have access to Playstation games on PC?

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Have you seen the pace Sony PSN development works at? Even if they were to make a "PSN-lite" type account for the rest of world, you'd be looking at 6 months to a year before they were ready to roll that out.

This is the company that took ~15 years to let you rename your account, or almost a year to change the currency in the the Croatian store to Euros.

They're totally unprepared for this and should have walked back the requirement until their platform was fit for purpose.

PSN is a mess and should have been redesigned back when they launched the PS4.

My opinions:

1) They should not have removed the PSN requirement during launch period.
2) They should have made it non mandatory (maybe disallow cross-play if no account is linked) and provide rewards (additional medals etc) if you link an account.
3) Bloody gamers whining, making a small thing bigger than it actually is.
4) Sony/Arrowhead shouldn't have overreacted and did this.
5) Sony desperately need a region less solution if they want to continue to sell their GaSS on PC. Maybe a new account format that allows you to link your Steam/PSN/Epic Games/whatever accounts to a new service instead.

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017

Also, the obnoxious "well you require accounts for everything now, why are you just now complaining" bit is fucking tiring as well. I've been complaining about multiple accounts (and launchers) for years. People just say you're a whiny gamer or whatever; this is evident even in this thread. People will bend over backwards if it means they get to suck some corporate cock to the benefit of no one.

All these accounts suck, having your data in so many places is fucking terrible, data farming is shitty and it would be nice if we could do something about it all. But also this particular thing sucks. Enforcing something months after launch and effectively changing the sales terms is really weird.

You know, it really hurts more to stress how people are "BREAKING THE TOS", when this has been a thing people have been doing since the early PS3 days. I've personally never even used anything but PSN accounts from other countries. I've never even heard it was breaking the tos until Helldivers 2, which is weird, but makes sense, since people are now in need of more ammunition to argue against having to make an account.

But yes, if you go around claiming how people are "breaking the tos", it kinda puts Sony on the spot to act on it, moreso than if you had silently broken it.

I really wonder if people had just made their accounts and kept playing, would we be looking at the same situation now?

grtn

Apr 7, 2024

Separately, I don't think a PSN-lite account would be viable regardless even if it could be done fast, as the likely regulatory and legal reasons to avoid officially jumping into such markets probably apply just as much when having a stripped down version.

CheapJi

Apr 24, 2018
What a joke.
Many people can't refund btw because of cd keys.

And to the people saying others should have just made an account and "it takes 5 minutes", It would take zero effort for sony not to pull this crap. The game literally worked absolutely fine without PSN.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
i think its really interesting to see some of the same people complaining about people not reading fine print and it was there the whole time follow up with but yeah you can just break the tos

thank god we can just keep blaming everyone but sony

Clippy

Feb 11, 2022
The justification that makes least sense is that Sony couldn't change because they're gonna do it for future games.

So you're selling future games on PC, and you think walking back this one requirement now will set a bad and precedent irrevocably because people will remember it… but you don't think that completely torching every ounce of goodwill from your best selling game will also be remembered in a few months when you come to try to sell them on Concord, or any other game after that?

It won't be worth it.

DJwest

Oct 26, 2017
Sony doing a Speedrun on how to ruin a successful game. Impressive
The amount of people being totally ok with games not being available for certain regions is kinda disgusting. That's GringoEra for you, I guess.
Not the least bit surprised. People don't care until they are affected

jman2050

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The upshot about all this is that if Sony is really committed to trying to integrate the PC audience into their online service then they need to expand the reach of their service to meet said audience.

Nyaghoggua

Apr 3, 2024

100% agreed. I'm not a fan of gray areas where a CS representative says to break the ToS, then when you get banned, you're stuck appealing because some random CS agent told you to because PSN wasn't available in your region at the time. I'd assume all the people telling others to do that would be the first to say something along the lines of "you broke tos wtf did you expect dummy?" as some sort of snarky gotcha if those users started getting banned.

Just like they're doing now citing some text at the bottom of trailers from December, the store page and a single news post. I follow the game quite intently and even I didn't know this was considered a "grace period". The splash page said a PSN account was required, it allowed us to skip and I've been playing with Playstation 5 users ever since. I'm still waiting for some sort of rationale as to why a PSN account is necessary to play a game that's been working fine without it for months. What is a PSN account capable of that a SteamID is not? Trophies? Well, speaking as someone outside the Playstation walled garden, I don't give a shit about trophies because I don't need two separate sets of achievements.

Feb 16, 2022
You know, it really hurts more to stress how people are "BREAKING THE TOS", when this has been a thing people have been doing since the early PS3 days. I've personally never even used anything but PSN accounts from other countries. I've never even heard it was breaking the tos until Helldivers 2, which is weird, but makes sense, since people are now in need of more ammunition to argue against having to make an account.

But yes, if you go around claiming how people are "breaking the tos", it kinda puts Sony on the spot to act on it, moreso than if you had silently broken it.
Great post. The ones actually doing it have been doing it for so long and it's in some cases the only and best way for us. People putting us on the spot is hurting us instead.

Feb 16, 2022
100% agreed. I'm not a fan of gray areas where a CS representative says to break the ToS, then when you get banned, you're stuck appealing because some random CS agent told you to because PSN wasn't available in your region at the time. I'd assume all the people telling others to do that would be the first to say something along the lines of "you broke tos wtf did you expect dummy?" as some sort of snarky gotcha.
That's nonsense. The people saying "just do it" are the ones like me who'd been doing it just fine for years or even almost two full decades now. We know it won't be a problem, and if it eventually does become one, we'd be the ones getting fucked.

The ones finger-wagging and wrist-slapping others about it are way, way more likely to be the ones not affected by this at all and are just trying to use the situation as an excuse to complain.

Heon

Oct 25, 2017

You also can't change the country for your PS account by yourself or with support. It's permanent. Because I move a lot & my payment methods change, I have to manage multiple PS accounts for different regions.

Even Nintendo of all companies has a mechanism for that!

Xion385

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Sure. All the people who can't use PSN will totally do that.
Yeah. I'm talking about the other 90% who are complaining. No way more than 10% are the ones from countries that can't access PSN because those people are justified. People just bandwagon for the sake of bandwagoning. Shoot, probably the same people have third party launchers launched through Steam (I.e. Ubisoft, Rockstar.) in their accounts also. Which is way more annoying. Hell, I play Warframe through Steam and it asks me to sign up for an account. Even Halo. It wasn't the kernel level anti cheat that put them off the game? It was this? Something you can do in two minutes? Like im saying if Bloodborne drops and has that requirement, people are going to have absolutely no problem signing up for PSN. I'll draw the line if they do something absolutely stupid like needing to pay for a PSN subscription just to play Helldivers.

Feb 16, 2022
Do we just never hold corporations accountable here or just the ones we don't like?
Holding corporations accountable, somehow, doesn't prevent us from also pointing out and calling out assholes who were taking advantage of the situation to complain. Just take a look at the Steam reviews. The most vocal people who are using the "but this and that countries aren't supported!" are the ones who aren't from those countries.

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
Holding corporations accountable, somehow, doesn't prevent us from also pointing out and calling out assholes who were taking advantage of the situation to complain. Just take a look at the Steam reviews. The most vocal people who are using the "but this and that countries aren't supported!" are the ones who aren't from those countries.
People were complaining because they didn't want to register for a new account lol it's not that hard to understand. As if they didn't know these regions didn't support PSN until the outcry. This is all on Sony, it shouldn't matter how much we like them

Paertan

Oct 28, 2017
If it had been like this from the beginning and a much clearer warning when you start the game the first time I think this would never have blown up like this. I do not remember what it said but I do not remember it being clear that it would soon require a PSN account. I mean I assumed it would since trailers store page etc said so but since it seems a lot of people missed it it was not clear enough.

Chille

Jan 7, 2018
If it had been like this from the beginning and a much clearer warning when you start the game the first time I think this would never have blown up like this. I do not remember what it said but I do not remember it being clear that it would soon require a PSN account. I mean I assumed it would since trailers store page etc said so but since it seems a lot of people missed it it was not clear enough.
When you boot up the game it said this originally, but folk just hit skip and didn't read the part that says required

GMxWFdXaUAAlej0

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
Hm, I'm curious, are Microsoft games that require an Xbox Account, like MCC, available in countries with no official XB support? How can I check availability on Steam by country?

Status
Not open for further replies.