Status
Not open for further replies.

Rowsdower

Shinra Employee of The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
If they walk back on this then the outrage will happen with every other game after this, they shouldn't.

I was thinking they make it clear if they do so. Say that Helldivers 2 won't require a PSN account but every other multiplayer game, or ones with multiplayer elements, will, 100%; no ifs ands or buts.

Red Kong XIX

Oct 11, 2020
I think Sony will walk this back for Helldivers 2 only, but this will mean no cross-progression for the game.
They want to do this for all their games that have a multiplayer component. Ghost of Tsushima on PC will have it too for the Legends mode.

They won't backtrack, else they are basically admitting it's actually an issue.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
I was thinking they make it clear if they do so. Say that Helldivers 2 won't require a PSN account but every other multiplayer game, or ones with multiplayer elements, will, 100%; no ifs ands or buts.

Or they just leave the PSN requirements in place and a bunch of people will get over it with time.

And if those currently being assholes in game ever link a PSN they get a nice ban double whammy - they get banned from PSN and Helldivers 2 at the same time.

Oct 27, 2017
It's a completely arbitrary restriction that serves no purpose to PC-only players and the cynic in me assumes it's all about data harvesting.
It's not the cynic in you, it's how things work. Every big publisher does it (and you have all the right to hate it, ofc, but nothing's gonna change). And if you think Valve isn't constantly data harvesting, well I have bad news for you.

Whisu

May 19, 2021
Companies should be quiet when they want to implement things like this.

News about this = people will complain.

No news = people will just create an account and play the game.

Gamers just hate it because they want enter the hate bandwagon, every multiplayer game does this type of thing.

Oct 25, 2017
It's not the cynic in you, it's how things work. Every big publisher does it (and you have all the right to hate it, ofc, but nothing's gonna change). And if you think Valve isn't constantly data harvesting, well I have bad news for you.
Or Google, Meta, Twitter, Tiktok, etc. Be honest, it has nothing to do with data, it has everything to do with ick its Sony.

Windrunner

Sly
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is it not trivially easy to set up a PSN account with fake data for whatever country you want?

I remember setting up multiple accounts across different countries to access different demoes early in PS3 gen. All you needed was an email and that could be a hotmail one…

Is PSN geoblocking IPs?
No, I have been buying and playing games on my Japanese PSN account since 2006.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal

Also, this data harvesting happens, PSN ID or not. It happens in single player games too.

The only difference is instead of Sony having to guess its you, you just flat out tell them its you.

Plus the other benefits for them of having players linked properly to PSN (Less cross play issues, cross progression and full control over being able to ban).

Clippy

Feb 11, 2022

Gamers just hate it because they want enter the hate bandwagon, every multiplayer game does this type of thing.
Talk isn't what made it a thing, it's just the timing of when they implemented it. It was gonna be a controversy whether or not the company said anything.

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017

The issue is just that this is a change in policy. I really doubt that if they just started enforcing it on June 4th with no announcement you'd see any different of a reaction.

I'm sure the game will be fine even if they don't change it, but I also think some (light) negative reactions are fair given the game has been working perfectly fine w/o linking accounts up til this point, and the game even has its own implementation for accounts/friends list outside of both Steam and PSN. It's basically 0 value added for the player.

Obviously capital Gamers being Gamers are blowing it way out of proportion, but that's just what they do about anything. To me it's just a bone headed move by Sony to undercut what has been a great narrative for their first huge multi-platform launch.

Oct 25, 2017
The reaction to this feels like some people just always need something to be mad about

There's always some kind of battle going on, us vs them mentality

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
Yeah, 3rd party accounts have been normalized, every publisher uses them. The fight was already lost.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
I'm guessing the problem is making a PSN account is as difficult as signing up for the Konami ID for MGS4 right?

FarronFox

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Wow, this is more likely to make me get Helldivers 2.

I have a ps5 but dont play games online with it (apart from dabbling with things like fortnite which is free to play) as it requires a paid subscription but Sony adding the login on the game is allowing me to use psn somewhat without a subscription.

Kinda hope Sony comes to a point where they drop the subscription requirements to play online as with things like this it shows you don't need it to pay to play online. Maybe this will help them get the idea of dropping it, so that more people play online on a ps5 rather than pc where it's free.

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Let's keep in mind that this is the community that earlier this very week threw a massive hissy over ricochets supposedly bouncing back and hitting Helldivers in the head. There were dozens of posts, targeted harassment of CMs, etc. Only, it turned out that these ricochets don't actually fucking happen and it was a bunch of misinformation and lies. Yet even still, thousands of capital G gamers were shitting themselves over it and throwing massive fits.

There are some valid concerns. People losing access to Helldivers because PSN doesn't support their region, for instance. But that's not what's going on here, this is just a toxic community lashing out the instant a perceived inconvenience arises.

4lgu13n

Oct 28, 2017
I'm aware a CEO taking accountability and admitting fault is a rare thing to see these days but some of y'all should really follow his lead and admit having unnecessary account links are lame as hell. Level of severity of this issue varies from mild inconvenience to not being able to play the game anymore. I don't care if the store page stated it and I don't care if it has been mentioned in news posts in the past. The game works without it so why impose these restrictions at all? It was abhorrent when Microsoft imposed it on Minecraft players and it's annoying when I get prompted for a login on Sea of Thieves and Halo Infinite on a fresh Windows install. Just let these games be platform agnostic until someone wants to link their account for cross progression purposes. Stop getting in the way of people enjoying your game.

I'm never going to play Helldivers 2 on Playstation hardware and crossplay as its currently implemented works without the link so why should I need a PSN account? It's a completely arbitrary restriction that serves no purpose to PC-only players and the cynic in me assumes it's all about data harvesting.
First, they don't need a PSN account to harvest your data. At all. Trust me, and if you don't, online you will find a lot of good resources about this topic. If they, or anyone else, wanted your data, they would get it. Proprietary account or not.

Second, there are legitimate benefits to all players with such a requirement, including PC gamers only. Improved crossplay functionality, which improves the health of the game's userbase and thus the ongoing support it receives, which is good for everyone even if someone decides to not personally use it; and improved user handling, mostly it should improve the capabilities of Arrowhead/Sony to properly ban bad actors without being dependent on Valve and which once again should help improve the health of the game's userbase. There might be more benefits I'm unaware of plus further benefits for multi-platform users of course but those should be irrelevant to a PC only gamer who plans to remain one.

Obviously, there are also benefits for Sony, mostly improved ecosystem reach. I don't know how this would affect PS's MAUs, if at all. Perhaps others know more.

Lastly, everyone is entitled to their opinion, feeling, taste or preference but those by themselves don't make a legitimate issue worthy of support or solution. Assuming you are in a country supported by PSN, you were properly informed of this requirement since the very beginning and in spite of this you freely chose to buy the game. The terms of the deal have not been altered in any way. That's why people such as myself say there is nothing wrong with what's happening here. Now that said requirement has been implemented you are also free to drop the game if you choose to do so. But no one has acted wrongfully during this whole procces. Everything changes if you are one of those people that are not in a supported country by PSN.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
The CEO of Helldivers Incorporated said the reaction is warranted, so it's funny how many people are denying it's a problem, or are acting bewildered about what the issue even is.

Well, of course he is going to say that. And of course the reaction is not warranted. And of course the "problem" is, like, whatever.

Gamers and their drama, man.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
The reaction to this feels like some people just always need something to be mad about

There's always some kind of battle going on, us vs them mentality
I feel like it's gotten worse lately, everyone's mad about SOMETHING now, and half the time it's full of misinformation and cherry-picking.

The outrage grifting is getting so out of hand.

CosmiKu

Jul 9, 2023
The reaction is a bit much, but I get why people are upset about needing to have a separate login for every little thing.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
So this is a fully fucking crisis now, right? You got multiple major streamers openly boycotting the game now, the discourse is filled with people freaking out about Sony banning off-region accounts and coercing PS+ subscriptions, Steam is getting review-bombed and now likely pummeled with refund requests, and Arrowhead themselves have openly taken mea culpas on it. At this point shit is out of control, as you can probably tell by the 20+ page thread.

Easiest win for Sony is to not push it anymore and play it off like "oops sorry we learned our lesson" and hope nobody remembers that Ghost of Tsushima has a multiplayer mode. Hope y'all are chill with Helldivers cross-play still being buggy and cross-progression likely never happening.

God this is so fucking stupid.

Oct 25, 2017
lol that's all it is?! Have these people never linked an account from one service to another before? Its especially ironic for PC gamers since so many digital storefronts outside Steam do this. Really is a lot of "Sony bad" hand wringing huh?
You literally link your PSN account, that is all it is. Log in one time, and never again. I did it without even thinking about it when HD2 launched..

There are some people who are outside of PSN supported areas, and for them yah, this is BS. The vast majority, just being Sony bad.

Last edited:

4lgu13n

Oct 28, 2017
You literally link your PSN account, that is all it is. Log in one time, and never again. I did it without even thinking about it when HD2 launched...
Ok, I also thought this was PSN login and not linking. This makes this whole thing somehow even more nonsensical and stupid. A huge part of this has to be people trolling and finding a sense of community by engaging in the latest object of gamer's ire.

wisdom0wl

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
the only people with valid beef here are those that don't have PSN in their country

everyone else looks like a toddler, how is this a big deal? this has to be engagement bait because aint no way people are actually fuming over this 5 minute inconvenience

Oct 25, 2017
He's not confused about this, just using it interchangeably.
I don't think a PSN link is bad, we do this ALL the time in the PC space. I'm willing to bet, yes again, that a solid chunk of people think this means you are creating an account and having to go through a launcher. It is a one time link like a HUGE chunk of cross platform games.

Oct 25, 2017
It's a shame this is how Helldivers popularity will end.
First time? Gamers are reactionary. I partially feel that is exactly why this is happening, people are feeling done with the game so why not stir up some shit.
Only my pet peeves are worth discussing and everyone else is embarrassing.
Who is saying that? There is a massive understanding for individuals who bought the game in areas that do not have PSN support. What I don't support is the burn it to the ground approach from individuals who live in areas that have PSN.

Man, I linked Destiny 2 to PSN and Xbox without a second thought. I cannot believe I actually installed Read Dead Redemption 2. It has a launcher!

Last edited:

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
Once the discourse turns negative, it'll cascade - comment about content frequency, balance, etc.. will all become more toxic

Basically it'll become a real live service game

Jolkien

Oct 25, 2017
Anchorage/Alaska
Hopefully, they don't bow down. Let the toddlers have their temper tantrums. If there's one thing we learned through the years is Gamers have no spines. Don't give them the satisfaction that throwing a temper tantrum is the solution.

Tarkov will keep trucking, Helldivers too. We're a decades plus too late to prevent accounts linking.

yhgtu

Sep 12, 2021
once you get close to 30 years old this type of internet drama is enough to get you to stop online gaming.

Xbox going multi platform started it for me and this is adding fuel to the fire.

There's grown men acting like children right now, t minus 12 hours since announcing this over a month in advance.

DeadlyVenom

Apr 3, 2018
First time? Gamers are reactionary. I partially feel that is exactly why this is happening, people are feeling done with the game so why not stir up some shit.

Who is saying that? There is a massive understanding for individuals who bought the game in areas that do not have PSN support. What I don't support is the burn it to the ground approach from individuals who live in areas that have PSN.

Man, I linked Destiny 2 to PSN and Xbox without a second thought. I cannot believe I actually installed Read Dead Redemption 2. It has a launcher!

A bunch of negative Steam reviews is hardly burning anything to the ground.

Techno