Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
A bunch of negative Steam reviews is hardly burning anything to the ground.
You legit have death threats in the discord over it...shits beyond absurd over an account link.

Not everything has to be taken so literal, obviously the earth will still be here but the reaction to this is quite damned over the top.

You sign up for an account and link it, it's nothing.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
ugh Asmongold is currently covering it on his stream
expect there to be even more outraged, death-threat slinging idiots

Oct 25, 2017
honestly forgot this was even a thing, once i logged in and the playstation network site thanked me for logging in with steam to link the account, it never surfaced in any meaningful way. ultimately painless, but also doesn't seem particularly necessary if the game has gone on this long without needing it?

really not super big on needing a new account for every side and microservice with little benefit to myself as a user, but even then helldivers 2's psn integration was so out of the way and i assumed fully mandatory from the day i first played that the posts talking about this caught me fairly off guard. i do understand the concerns from players who are not in areas covered by sony's service who would risk breaking tos in order to continue playing, or those who game exclusively outside of sony's hardware ecosystem who really don't care to have another account to manage, but had this been enforced fully from the outset, i don't know if it would have blown up nearly as much (discounting, ofc, chuds piggybacking on drama for their fix)

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
I'm on PS5. But I think like 5-6 players in my group are on PC. I notified them of the requirement and they were like "ok".

Shit ain't a big deal.

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not principally against it but it seems too early if PSN isn't available in all the regions that Steam is. Sony should be more on top of that if they want to roll their games out to a wider audience.

Oct 25, 2017
honestly forgot this was even a thing, once i logged in and the playstation network site thanked me for logging in with steam to link the account, it never surfaced in any meaningful way. ultimately painless, but also doesn't seem particularly necessary if the game has gone on this long without needing it?

really not super big on needing a new account for every side and microservice with little benefit to myself as a user, but even then helldivers 2's psn integration was so out of the way and i assumed fully mandatory from the day i first played that the posts talking about this caught me fairly off guard. i do understand the concerns from players who are not in areas covered by sony's service who would risk breaking tos in order to continue playing, or those who game exclusively outside of sony's hardware ecosystem who really don't care to have another account to manage, but had this been enforced fully from the outset, i don't know if it would have blown up nearly as much (discounting, ofc, chuds piggybacking on drama for their fix)
The 'need' is straightforward, you have a publisher wanting to capitalize on it and supposedly increase cross platform interaction. It's not a conspiracy to data farm.
I'm not principally against it but it seems too early if PSN isn't available in all the regions that Steam is. Sony should be more on top of that if they want to role their games out to a wider audience.
Yes. Even if they were, the outrage would still be there by that vocal group that is beaming it out into the world.

BlackLagoon

Oct 25, 2017
I've never been a big Steam user, but a lot of the discourse here reminds me of the uproar when Valve forced people to create an account for their bare bones and largely useless online service "Steam" for Half-Life 2.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
ugh Asmongold is currently covering it on his stream
expect there to be even more outraged, death-threat slinging idiots

Asmongold's covering it, Yong Yea will no doubt cover it, Critikal will most likely cover it, given her tweet Ironmouse will probably throw some shade and that might get it to reverberate a bit in Vtuber circles....Pirate Software already did his bit and I know quite a few places have put a lot of stock on his takes as of late....

Everyone's gonna get their turn. Might even get articles on this now that it's a full-blown "controversy".

Oct 25, 2017
The 'need' is straightforward, you have a publisher wanting to capitalize on it and supposedly increase cross platform interaction. It's not a conspiracy to data farm.

and i think it's completely fine for someone to not at all be interested in a publisher capitalising on their interest in a game that did not actually require it before, or have any benefit given to them by the cross platform interaction. i never said anything about 'data collection', some people just do not want extra detritus tied to their accounts, for management or extra vectors of attack with credentials, among other things

zerosnake99

Oct 25, 2018
It was mandated but not enforced, so it really didn't matter. If they enforced it since launch it would have blown over without a ton of fuss.

It WAS enforced. When I got it, I HAD to link it. They removed that requirement relatively early because of the performance issues.
Even if it WASN'T. The Store page says it. The trailers say it. The first time you log in it says it. That's 3 times to throw a hissy fit and either NOT buy the game or refund it the moment you launch it.

People are fucking wild.

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
Never played HD2 so I don't know how it works, but can they just give some currency or a weapon or something to people when they link their PSN? Something where they are excited to do it to get free stuff.

GooZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It should've been there from the start honestly surprised it wasn't. This game was a sudden major hit PSN didn't expect.

Eriol

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Santiago, Chile
It should've been there from the start honestly surprised it wasn't. This game was a sudden major hit PSN didn't expect.
it was from the start, as has been said before, was enforced like the first day, then turned off momentarily because some troubles, and now they are announcing theyre turning back on, on one month

Oct 25, 2017
and i think it's completely fine for someone to not at all be interested in a publisher capitalising on their interest in a game that did not actually require it before, or have any benefit given to them by the cross platform interaction. i never said anything about 'data collection', some people just do not want extra detritus tied to their accounts, for management or extra vectors of attack with credentials, among other things
But...it did require it before, it was spelled out early on. They disabled it due to the popularity of the game. The game was unplayable on the start, they removed this as a requirement.

People can say they didn't read it, but it was there.

GooZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
it was from the start, as has been said before, was enforced like the first day, then turned off momentarily because some troubles, and now they are announcing theyre turning back on, on one month
Weird that they left it off for so long, I would've expect that this system helps as a gate for some that now don't want play the game. Probably would've help the servers.
If the problem is big though which already is creating some noise, this could work as a leeway for some on Steam to get a refund which I could see people aiming for. I've seen Steam made some exceptions and this could potentially be one of them situations. Crazy situation overall cause it's creating some buzz on my socials.

Oct 25, 2017
Weird that they left it off for so long, I would've expect that this system helps as a gate for some that now don't want play the game. Probably would've help the servers.
If the problem is big though which already is creating some noise, this could work as a leeway for some on Steam to get a refund which I could see people aiming for. I've seen Steam made some exceptions and this could potentially be one of them situations. Crazy situation overall cause it's creating some buzz on my socials.
If you have 2 obvious, if you have 10-20...sure...If you have 20+ on a game that cost $39.99 that is scummy.

Clippy

Feb 11, 2022
I would be shocked if Valve was willing to eat the cost of so many refunds for a super popular game, or somehow try to get Sony to be onboard for it.

Oct 27, 2017
USA
While I'm not a fan of having 8,000 accounts for everything the thing people should be upset about is that Sony still sold the game in territories where creating a PSN account is not possible via 100% legitimate means.

Yes, you can work around it in ways but you should not have to jump through hoops and potentially risk a ban to play a game you already bought.

Sony has a couple ways they could fix it, the question is will they.

Oct 25, 2017
But...it did require it before, it was spelled out early on. They disabled it due to the popularity of the game.

then it was clearly not required, for every day after the first apparently? i have no idea when it was disabled, as i was prompted to log in when i first played a few weeks later, and did so. but the lack of enforcement has been the case for several months, well past its point of stability, so i can see how some were caught by surprise that it will now be strictly enforced when it really hasn't been

it's okay if people don't like it, and decide to step away from the game or civilly express to sony and the developers why this could be a potential issue for them. but, as i said before, had they enforced this properly from day one, i do not think this would have become as big of an issue as it has in the Discourse. and i will be genuinely surprised if there is much talk about this in a month's time

Stoopkid

Oct 27, 2017
once you get close to 30 years old this type of internet drama is enough to get you to stop online gaming.

Xbox going multi platform started it for me and this is adding fuel to the fire.

There's grown men acting like children right now, t minus 12 hours since announcing this over a month in advance.
This. I just can't imagine myself getting this mad over signing up for a free account.

Oct 25, 2017
then it was clearly not required, for every day after the first apparently? i have no idea when it was disabled, as i was prompted to log in when i first played a few weeks later, and did so. but the lack of enforcement has been the case for several months, well past its point of stability, so i can see how some were caught by surprise that it will now be strictly enforced when it really hasn't been

it's okay if people don't like it, and decide to step away from the game or civilly express to sony and the developers why this could be a potential issue for them. but, as i said before, had they enforced this properly from day one, i do not think this would have become as big of an issue as it has in the Discourse
It clearly was required at launch as they required it for the product, you seem to be misunderstanding what required means.

This shit is so pathetic. No one is arguing X is literally required to play a game, none of it is. I don't see some of ya'll burning the fence down for every other instance of 'required' launcher, link, etc. Somehow this is too far though.

For those in the back: No it isn't a requirement to launch the game, so no they don't NEED it. It is their IP they are publishing, they clearly wanted it to be an account link from the start...hence the requirement. Servers were trash on launch, they didn't want this being another road block so they removed it. The game popped off, they would like to pull that data into PSN metrics. If an account link is somehow to much for you, then okay. But I sure as shit cannot wait to see you at GTA6 launch which will require far more than an account link, it will require a separate launcher.

It is a fucking account LINK. I did it on setup as a requirement and thought nothing of it, it hasn't crossed my mind in the hours of enjoyment. But yah, lets burn down one of the best examples of a $39.99 game and great MTX because of an account link.

Oct 25, 2017
It clearly was required at launch as they required it for the product, you seem to be misunderstanding what required means.

This shit is so pathetic. No one is arguing X is literally required to play a game, none of it is. I don't see some of ya'll burning the fence down for every other instance of 'required' launcher, link, etc. Somehow this is too far though.

For those in the back: No it isn't a requirement to launch the game, so no they don't NEED it. It is their IP they are publishing, they clearly wanted it to be an account link from the start...hence the requirement. Servers were trash on launch, they didn't want this being another road block so they removed it. The game popped off, they would like to pull that data into PSN metrics. If an account link is somehow to much for you, then okay. But I sure as shit cannot wait to see you at GTA6 launch which will require far more than an account link, it will require a separate launcher.

i think you need to step away from the thread and cool off, soldier. save the vigour and vitriol for the actual existential threats to managed democracy

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I'm on PS5. But I think like 5-6 players in my group are on PC. I notified them of the requirement and they were like "ok".

Shit ain't a big deal.
Got to remember the internet is a huge echo chamber and usually does not represent the majority of players. So I am not shocked most people not constantly on social media are like just as you said "ok" with it.
once you get close to 30 years old this type of internet drama is enough to get you to stop online gaming.

Xbox going multi platform started it for me and this is adding fuel to the fire.

There's grown men acting like children right now, t minus 12 hours since announcing this over a month in advance.
Yep I feel ya. I already have enough problems in my real life to get mad at something that is:
1) A fairly easy solution
2) Been known since even before launch
3) Will probably be past the minds of people a few days from now because the internet has an extremely short attention span and they will move onto the next "big" controversy in gaming.

Oct 25, 2017
This is hilarious, just so you know.

i came into the thread expressing, quite calmly, that i was confused by the sheer amount of pushback this was getting, but explained how i could see some players not wanting it within personal reasons. i was even more confused at the replies you've been giving me, despite the fact that we do agree on some very basic things regarding the situation. it's healthy to disengage from a topic when you begin to rant rather aggresively for multiple paragraphs at something another poster did not say

Oct 25, 2017
i came into the thread expressing, quite calmly, that i was confused by the sheer amount of pushback this was getting, but explained how i could see some players not wanting it within personal reasons. i was even more confused at the replies you've been giving me, despite the fact that we do agree on some very basic things regarding the situation. it's healthy to disengage from a topic when you begin to rant rather aggresively for multiple paragraphs at something another poster did not say
  1. Was it required at launch?
  2. Was it detailed on steam that it was required?
  3. Does Sony have a right to require it?
  4. Is advance notice of that change desired and expected?
  5. What is the problem?
Myself and others have continually said, this isn't fair for individuals living outside of PSN standard countries and they should be allowed at the very least a refund. You said, oh, it doesn't seem to be a requirement...since it wasn't a requirement. It really shocks me how upset people are getting over a mere account link, which you seem to agree?

Should Sony do this, no I don't think they should. I completely understand them doing it though because it sets a bad precedent on their part. Maybe the better option was to let the game continue to languish during the hype face in order to force another barrier of entry. I think they clearly recognized that was a bad move and now that the game and connection difficulties have died down they are re-requiring the intentional requirement.

Red Kong XIX

Oct 11, 2020
If linking a third-party account was a deal breaker, then signs where there.

9YLKO1q.png
7Zhjyut.png

It says "required" basically everywhere. Obviously would have been better if the "skip" button wasn't implemented to begin with. But I imagine a not completely functioning account linking doesn't warrant a delay of a game when everything else works fine.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017

The weekly outrage in general is getting real grating, yeah.

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Needing to have a separate account for absolutely everything is annoying but this is no different than a whole bunch of other games out there since a while now.

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017

Not going to lie when I was a kid seeing some of the console fanboy and internet rage was fun. Now that I'm in my 30's it's not only tiring I feel nothing but embarrassment when I see grown ass men engage in this internet drama bullshit.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Needing to have a separate account for absolutely everything is annoying but this is no different than a whole bunch of other games out there since a while now.

Yep, and at least there could be a benefit to this like streamlining crossplay or making cross progression possible. Not like mandatory Facebook linking to Quest or Bethesda account sign up on Doom ports or something

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017

View: https://twitter.com/ToadSageCom/status/1786545198874390784

People defending ironmouse about this because Puerto Rico doesnt show on the PSN registration, arent even well informed, because it shows under United States, Territory/states selection box lol.

People in the replies making Puerto Rican accounts and they dont work too.

The fact is some people have been playing this game for weeks in regions that don't have PSN. If an account is investigated in that region it will be banned and their access to Helldivers along with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.