• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
What do we think these could be? I'm hoping vehicles but they seem a bit short...
stratagems that being with "down" are always support stratagems. so sentries, backpack, etc...
i assume the top one will be a backpack weapon and the bottom one will be a something like mines

edit: actually lol, I just remembered and I could tell you exactly what those are hahaha but I won't spoil things 😂

Kiro

Oct 27, 2017
Ottawa, Canada
stratagems that being with "down" are always support stratagems. so sentries, backpack, etc...
i assume the top one will be a backpack weapon and the bottom one will be a something like mines

edit: actually lol, I just remembered and I could tell you exactly what those are hahaha but I won't spoil things 😂
Spoiler it? I'm curious

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
jxig0xk77nwc1.jpeg

Its about time, Halleluiah!!!!!

OxCCHpx.gif

Shahadan

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think they're impossible at all, I just don't think they give enough XP for the effort.

1068xp for 5 stars on 9, not as bad as the "Defend 8 Rocket Launches" mission, which only gives like 700. But absolutely not worth it against an Extermination mission or regular 40 minute mission.

EDIT: Well, they are impossible when there are fire tornados.
Tbh the main reason to do these is to ignore the civilians and farm samples all over the map. There are so many, even more than what the game is displaying on the HUD (lol 40/30 rares)

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
Logged in after 2 weeks of not playing, instantly hit medal cap from the latest orders completed

Welp, that's a big handful of medals wasted, but at least I can instantly blow through a few warbond pages now

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Did they fix the final ship upgrades? I got the sentry one and I am about to hit another sample quota but if everything is still wonky…

Might go for the barrage reduction spread.

Bombless

Oct 25, 2017

You shouldn't be able to trigger anti-tank mines, so those are safer, I bet. Meanwhile, I doubt the airburst will hard heavy armor units. Be careful which one you decide to repeatedly die for.

Me too
More ways to deal with the biggies
If it's anything like the orbital airburst, it will only tickle the biggies.

The Omega Man

Fallen Guardian
Oct 25, 2017
Hello everyone, I am looking for a game to buy to play this weekend, is this a good option or this ship has sailed for new people with a casual interested in playing?

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
Mines have too big of a cooldown, rockets can be replenished in many ways.

THE CHOICE IS DEMOCRATICALLY OBVIOUS.

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
You shouldn't be able to trigger anti-tank mines, so those are safer, I bet. Meanwhile, I doubt the airburst will hard heavy armor units. Be careful which one you decide to repeatedly die for.

If it's anything like the orbital airburst, it will only tickle the biggies.
I dream of the day that we get a weapon that one shot biggies

Make it a long reload or hard to shoot…but we really need it lol

GeoGonzo

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Madrid, Spain
Hello everyone, I am looking for a game to buy to play this weekend, is this a good option or this ship has sailed for new people with a casual interested in playing?
This game is likely to welcome new players much better than most multiplayer games: It is strictly co-op, it separates matchmaking queues by chosen difficulty and it goes from -very- easy to pretty tough. Nobody expects or demands much from other players in low difficulties, and you can ramp up the difficulty to whatever you're confortable with.

Evilmaus

Oct 27, 2017
Man some people need some perspective in this game.

I join a difficulty 5 ICBM mission on Estanu (bugs) to help get the last of the defence over the line.

I'm level 18, and the others in the squad are 64, 28 and 9.

The only person who might have a bit of a rough ride with this is the level 9, as they're still reasonably new, but otherwise, this should be pretty damn chill.

We hit the planet and start heading towards an objective. The level 64 then opens his mic to angrily complain that we need to break off into pairs and go tackle sperate objectives.

Fine. I break off and head to a separate objective. The level 9 decides to follow me.
Within 5 minutes of the mission starting I've got the launch codes, and decide to start clearing some side objectives. The other pair get the power back on a few minutes later. They're much closer to the launch site, so I decide to carry on running nearby side objectives, assuming they'll go take care of the launch.

The level 64 dies. The level 9 on the other side of the map with me reinforces him. The level 64 then opens his mic again to angrily yell at the level 9 for reinforcing him on the other side of the map, so far from his gear and the main objective (bearing in mind that by this point, his support weapon will have absolutely finished it's cool-down).

A few minutes later all 3 of them leave the mission.

I then have a nice relaxed time heading to each of their corpses to pick up their samples, wrap up the main objective, and extract entirely solo.

I get that in higher difficulties you need to be much more coordinated, but again, this was a difficulty 5 ICBM launch on a bug planet. There's absolutely no need to open your mic and angrily shout at other players for not doing the mission optimally or whatever.

Grimsen

Oct 25, 2017
Man some people need some perspective in this game.

I join a difficulty 5 ICBM mission on Estanu (bugs) to help get the last of the defence over the line.

I'm level 18, and the others in the squad are 64, 28 and 9.

The only person who might have a bit of a rough ride with this is the level 9, as they're still reasonably new, but otherwise, this should be pretty damn chill.

We hit the planet and start heading towards an objective. The level 64 then opens his mic to angrily complain that we need to break off into pairs and go tackle sperate objectives.

Fine. I break off and head to a separate objective. The level 9 decides to follow me.
Within 5 minutes of the mission starting I've got the launch codes, and decide to start clearing some side objectives. The other pair get the power back on a few minutes later. They're much closer to the launch site, so I decide to carry on running nearby side objectives, assuming they'll go take care of the launch.

The level 64 dies. The level 9 on the other side of the map with me reinforces him. The level 64 then opens his mic again to angrily yell at the level 9 for reinforcing him on the other side of the map, so far from his gear and the main objective (bearing in mind that by this point, his support weapon will have absolutely finished it's cool-down).

A few minutes later all 3 of them leave the mission.

I then have a nice relaxed time heading to each of their corpses to pick up their samples, wrap up the main objective, and extract entirely solo.

I get that in higher difficulties you need to be much more coordinated, but again, this was a difficulty 5 ICBM launch on a bug planet. There's absolutely no need to open your mic and angrily shout at other players for not doing the mission optimally or whatever.

That is super strange. Lvl5 is a walk in the park with any team. Assholes will be assholes, I guess. Thankfully i rarely encounter any!

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Just so people know, both those stratagems have already been used in-game by modders/cheaters and the airburst rocket launcher is absolutely INSANE
Like, it is so SO cool and strong.
We definitely want that one! 🤣

Randomless

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah if the leaks are accurate the airburst is good against flying but also grounded targets.

The anti-tank mines seem strong but they still blow up Helldivers, there's no weight check.

Grenlento

Dec 6, 2023
It's interesting how this game's respawn system works from a gameplay perspective, but also still makes sense within the lore.

Split up, find samples, drop-off samples at LZ, kill myself, squadmate calls down another meatbag to their location to open a 2-man door.

CampFreddie

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017
If they wanted to cause chaos in the community they should've put the rocket launcher on a hot firestorm planet and the mines on a chill, "no negatives" planet.

Seriously, who's going to bother trying to unlock another minefield when they can unlock a cluster bomb in a backpack?

Oct 27, 2017
Awesome

Here, Harvey Scott (audio director/senior sound designer II) and Juuso Tolonen (project lead sound designer/senior sound designer I) at PlayStation Creative Arts Sound and Kristian Johansson (senior sound designer) and Olliver Andersson (sound designer) at Arrowhead Game Studios talk about creating satisfying weapon sounds, designing different classes of enemies, reining in the mix using Wwise, and much more!

What went into the sounds for the different classes of weapons: assault rifles, shotguns, SMGs (submachine guns), marksman rifles, energy-based guns, the JAR-5 Dominator (which fires two-stage, jet-propelled ammunition), LMGs (light machine guns), rifles, launchers, flame thrower, laser cannon, and Arc thrower?

JT:
For weapons, we worked very closely with Formosa Interactive in the UK for the weapons. The main goal for weapons was to make them feel punchy and satisfying while making sure they can really withstand the test of time or in other words, repetition.

The revision cycle for weapons was quite extensive just because of the amount of stress-testing we wanted to do to make sure they wouldn't get fatiguing. General brightness of the weapons was something we found ourselves bringing down over time, either literally in Wwise as the firing continues or just being vigilant about any unnecessary high-frequency peaks in the actual asset.

Aesthetically, we wanted to keep the basic weaponry quite true to their ballistic nature with punchy yet identifiable designs. A lot of the uniqueness for each weapon came from source selection, of course, but also matching the weight appropriately. We would look at things like fire rate and damage of the weapon to steer us in the right direction when determining "how much is this thing going to kick?"

For energy-based weapons, the designers could go wild and a little over the top with the design, and they designed some of the coolest stuff I have heard in-game. There are a lot of warbly synth textures, synthetic impacts, and tonality compared to the standard ballistic weapons.

We also wanted to make sure that the Support weapons (such as Expendable Anti-Tank, Flamethrower, Spear, etc.) were even more weighty and satisfying as they take extra effort to call down and use. Emphasizing the big mechanical clunks for the heavy weapons really added to their mass, combined with bigger tails and impacts, of course.

HS: As Juuso mentioned, the support weapons the player receives via Stratagems needed to be designed with reward in mind. To that end, not only was the sound design aesthetic of these weapons allowed to go one level higher, so too was the mix. We increased the priority of these weapons in terms of our dynamic ducking systems so they would take priority in the mix over any other type of weapon. Likewise in terms of loudness, and without those other elements of the mix making way, this effect would not have been so pronounced and the reward would have been lessened.

View: https://x.com/asoundeffect/status/1783869979395281238

Last edited: