IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Damn did they get bigger groups?
More just bigger unique enemies in HD1, they had groups of regular enemies with them, but much more like a raid boss than anything else. The robot was like a giant mech who shot mines everywhere and had a huge flamethrower. Would spawn turrets and different lower tier enemies throughout, but you had to really focus on the boss more than anything as it would pretty much constantly chase you down and flamethrower you.

Roronoa_Zoro

Jan 15, 2022
Pittsburgh
More just bigger unique enemies in HD1, they had groups of regular enemies with them, but much more like a raid boss than anything else. The robot was like a giant mech who shot mines everywhere and had a huge flamethrower. Would spawn turrets and different lower tier enemies throughout, but you had to really focus on the boss more than anything as it would pretty much constantly chase you down and flamethrower you.
Hmmm I mean that's not bad but I would love if they could do something more community organized like a big even with 100 players dropping on a giant enemy or continuously spawning in Helldivers on a planet with a massive battle

BabyShams

Nov 7, 2017
And both companies doing everything they can to ruin it.

Sony with de-listing games and forcing PSN on PC. And Arrowhead making the game less and less fun to play with each "balance" patch.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California

Luckett_X

Oct 25, 2017
Leeds, UK
Surprising what happens when you sell to the other 120+ countries on Planet Earth, huh.

Even more surprising they briefly thought, as a games publisher, "hey wait on, hang on a minute, we need to make less money and more rigid data collecting instead!!".

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure they will because of these numbers. They don't know how petty pc players are. Also it will fix that "games being sold in places PSN isn't" issue.
Uh no lol. Their store will probably fail like all the others. I have yet to see a compelling argument for it outside of "Sony will make it work cause they have a plan and won't make the same mistakes"

And none of what you said proves a store is happening. In fact, implementing features into Steam sounds more like they're sticking with it.

Last edited:

GamerEDM

May 7, 2020
the most impressive thing is this probably cost very little to make in comparison to like a Spiderman budget of 350 million

Ant_17

Oct 28, 2017
Greece
Uh no lol. Their store will probably fail like all the others. I have yet to see a compelling argument for it outside of "Sony will make it work cause they have a plan and won't make the same mistakes"

And none of what you said proves a store is happening. In fact, implementing features into Steam sounds more like they're sticking with it.
I will give you the best argument. Why should they give steam 30% when they can take 100% from PC? And a year or 2 later, put it on steam.

Red Kong XIX

Oct 11, 2020
I will give you the best argument. Why should they give steam 30% when they can take 100% from PC? And a year or 2 later, put it on steam.
Because the PC audience doesn't care about other storefronts. Yes, you get 100% instead of 70% of your PC sales, but now you have much lower sales overall, and have to maintain a storefront on top of that. And if you put it on Steam 1-2 years later anyway, most will realize that and just wait.

rzks21

Aug 17, 2023
Huh yourself. That's a flawed comparison.

BG3 isnt GaaS. It doesn't need Larian's support for years to come. Helldivers 2 will tie most of Arrowhead up for years.

In comparison Larian is massive to tackle different kinds of products. Arrowhead is rather small in their headcount in relation to how big Helldivers 2 has become, and it seems they're already struggling a bit to handle updates to Helldivers 2 at a steady pace. You also can't just instantly expand like crazy. It takes time and careful planning.

Larian has relevant IP of their own, Arrowhead doesn't. Larian can also pretty much just continue to the next Divinity, or at least to something like Divinity or BG3 and just refine their existing stuff to craft a new single player RPG, stuff they have experience on. You think Arrowhead will now start making another GaaS like Helldivers to compete against their own game, or draw an even wilder card, pivot to a completely different genre? Maybe they will years from here, but it's not like Helldivers 2 doesn't need constant support from them.

I'd say it's a better comparison than you think. BG3 has required a lot of post-launch support from Larian just for patches and additional content, with mod tools in the works likely till August (so 1 whole year of support after release). Supporting it with DLC would have netted them a goldmine for years to come, as the wider community was *thirsty* for DLC in a similar way to Elden Ring, yet they decided they'd rather work on their own intellectual property, including a potential new IP. And I love my Divinity games, but come on, Divinity OS 2 didn't really sell that much better than Magicka and it's silly to just assume they would have to build their fanbase from scratch; From Software first moved on from Demon's Souls to do Dark Souls and then moved on from the Souls series and Bloodborne to do Elden Ring. How much did they need to keep their older IP again? Armored Core 6 even managed to outsell all other entries of its own franchise just from sheer value the From brand gained over the years.

Anyway, you said "There isn't really much Arrowhead can or will do without Sony", and I don't think that's true. It is not necessarily the case that Arrowhead is locked into supporting Helldivers 2 for the next five years and even if they were, nothing precludes them from growing their team to kickstart another development at a reasonable pace, particularly if they rely on early access to fund it as they go.

Yeah that was kinda dicky though I'm glad they at least had the courtesy to have bloodborne

Because they helped them reach a new level of success just like housemarq, naughty dog, insomniac, etc even before being bought. No reason to abandon a symbiotic relationship or abandon someone who took a chance on you and helped you grow further than you ever could have alone

Support doesn't make you a slave of your employer, even less-so when you do an amazing job. Would you also argue that people should stay with the same employer forever just because it allowed them to garner experience? The idea sounds crazy to me and it's not as if going independent means ditching the PS playerbase, just that more people get to play their games.... which, uh, is objectively good.

Ant_17

Oct 28, 2017
Greece
Because the PC audience doesn't care about other storefronts. Yes, you get 100% instead of 70% of your PC sales, but now you have much lower sales overall, and have to maintain a storefront on top of that. And if you put it on Steam 1-2 years later anyway, most will realize that and just wait.
70% on steam sales would still be higher revenue than 100% of sales on this playstation store
We are talking about all games being day 1, right? No way Sony does that to kill of console sales, no matter how great it would sell on Steam.

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
70% on steam sales would still be higher revenue than 100% of sales on this playstation store

I think the argument is steam gets most playstation games a few years after and therefore releasing it on their own store day and date and then releasing on steam a few years later would not make any difference ideally

For GAAS maybe they will release it on Steam, their own store and PS. Who knows if it is worth maintaining your own PC store for primarily early access PC versions of SP games though.. Maybe it's not worth the costs for maintaining it

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
100% of 1000 sales is better than 70% of 6 million.

We've been through this over and over again. People won't just create an account and install another launcher for exclusive games. Especially if the launcher is barebone.

Roronoa_Zoro

Jan 15, 2022
Pittsburgh
I'd say it's a better comparison than you think. BG3 has required a lot of post-launch support from Larian just for patches and additional content, with mod tools in the works likely till August (so 1 whole year of support after release). Supporting it with DLC would have netted them a goldmine for years to come, as the wider community was *thirsty* for DLC in a similar way to Elden Ring, yet they decided they'd rather work on their own intellectual property, including a potential new IP. And I love my Divinity games, but come on, Divinity OS 2 didn't really sell that much better than Magicka and it's silly to just assume they would have to build their fanbase from scratch; From Software first moved on from Demon's Souls to do Dark Souls and then moved on from the Souls series and Bloodborne to do Elden Ring. How much did they need to keep their older IP again? Armored Core 6 even managed to outsell all other entries of its own franchise just from sheer value the From brand gained over the years.

Anyway, you said "There isn't really much Arrowhead can or will do without Sony", and I don't think that's true. It is not necessarily the case that Arrowhead is locked into supporting Helldivers 2 for the next five years and even if they were, nothing precludes them from growing their team to kickstart another development at a reasonable pace, particularly if they rely on early access to fund it as they go.

Support doesn't make you a slave of your employer, even less-so when you do an amazing job. Would you also argue that people should stay with the same employer forever just because it allowed them to garner experience? The idea sounds crazy to me and it's not as if going independent means ditching the PS playerbase, just that more people get to play their games.... which, uh, is objectively good.
Not objectively good to just release more places. Id say the same if Sony just used them then released Helldivers without them. They should stay partnered until it turns out badly and yes I was also talking if they released on PC without playstation after playstation helped them takeoff

Red Kong XIX

Oct 11, 2020
We are talking about all games being day 1, right? No way Sony does that to kill of console sales, no matter how great it would sell on Steam.
Yes, even if they would switch to day-and-date PC for their own storefront, it would still not make much sense. Even without considering all the implications that has for their single-SKU-developing first-party studios having to switch to multiplatform development, and the potential impact on their console sales.

Ant_17

Oct 28, 2017
Greece
Yes, even if they would switch to day-and-date PC for their own storefront, it would still not make much sense. Even without considering all the implications that has for their single-SKU-developing first-party studios having to switch to multiplatform development, and the potential impact on their console sales.
TBF NIxxes would be out of a job if they make every dev make a PC port.
100% of 1000 sales is better than 70% of 6 million.

We've been through this over and over again. People won't just create an account and install another launcher for exclusive games. Especially if the launcher is barebone.
Oh, stop it. You act like the Epic store doesn't have over 200 million accounts and 80 million active users. No matter how stupid it sounds to you, it makes sense to the suit at Sony.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
TBF NIxxes would be out of a job if they make every dev make a PC port.

Oh, stop it. You act like the Epic store doesn't have over 200 million accounts and 80 million active users. No matter how stupid it sounds to you, it makes sense to the suit at Sony.
80 million active users that aren't buying anything according to their own numbers lol

Oct 27, 2017
It's a lightening in a bottle situation where a combination of unique factors made the game such a success.

Good design (short tutorial, simple inputs with multiple outputs, pick up and play missions with no intrusive story)
Tiktok friendly spectacular and funny clips almost every match.
Over the top satirical tone also adds to how meme-able the game is.
People like Starship Troopers.
It was £35 when other games are £70
Microtransactions aren't intrusive or off putting.
Evolving events keep people hooked and refresh the memes.

The insane social media reach of the game is the reason the community was able to mobilise so quickly last week.

I don't think another game will be able to replicate what Helldivers did to find success, but I think we'll see other big franchises drop in a Helldivers style mode.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017

As evidenced in Apples court case, those accounts are primarily going for the free games or there for other f2p titles like fortnite. The conversion to actual purchasing power of those users has only been there for a tiny amount of games sold there first.. I think it might be around 3 or 4 iirc, and now AW2 seems to have done okay. That's not a good metric to base this on as it's obviously proven a failure.
The 30% on Steam is nonsense anyway, as that trial evidenced, Valve's cut is effectively a lot smaller overall. 30% scales down to 20%, and then on top of that Sony Steam keys generated 3rd parties sales gets Valve 0% and Sony whatever deal they cut with the vendors. Eg Over a third of HD2 reviews not from direct Steam sales, but from 3rd party. Sony can also sell those on its own platform/websites and get 100% from it. Steam keeps getting chosen by all these companies because it's audience is well settled there and can't be found else where for now, and the overall cut is tiny compared to having to fully invest, market and support a competitive PC platform of their own.

rzks21

Aug 17, 2023

IIRC, the totality of the Epic Store made 950 million bucks last year, including exclusive titles and third-party offerings, and that's after years of offering free games (a non-trivial investment) to players to incentivize growth. Steam is estimated to have made 9 billion in the same period.

Ant_17

Oct 28, 2017
Greece
80 million active users that aren't buying anything according to their own numbers lol
Who cares, if a shit store like that can do it, a Sony store could too.
As evidenced in Apples court case, those accounts are primarily going for the free games or there for other f2p titles like fortnite. The conversion to actual purchasing power of those users has only been there for a tiny amount of games sold there first.. I think it might be around 3 or 4 iirc, and now AW2 seems to have done okay. That's not a good metric to base this on as it's obviously proven a failure.
The 30% on Steam is nonsense anyway, as that trial evidenced, Valve's cut is effectively a lot smaller overall. 30% scales down to 20%, and then on top of that Sony Steam keys generated 3rd parties sales gets Valve 0% and Sony whatever deal they cut with the vendors. Eg Over a third of HD2 reviews not from direct Steam sales, but from 3rd party. Sony can also sell those on its own platform/websites and get 100% from it.
If this is true then sure. If they can get 100% from steam, then no point in a store. But it still causes the issue that steam is in countries PSN isn't. Maybe they make the store for that?

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Who cares, if a shit store like that can do it, a Sony store could too.
Epic has Fortnite alone contributing to the majority of that MAU and its major success has been covering EGS' ass for years.

They also spent billions on giving out weekly free games and exclusivity deals. Sony doesn't have a game with that pull to cover those costs long enough to break even, and those regional restrictions aren't helping. Helldivers and Destiny are successful but not to THAT level. I mean its been 6 years and EGS is still a flop.

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Which mostly only play Fortnite. Their 2023 year in review showed that only 1/3 of the total revenue came from 3rd party games.

Also, don't forget that Sony will have to start from 0 user on PC, unlike Epic. Epic also has aggressive game giveaways. What would Sony offer, their exclusive single player games?